CGC Help

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dbest4u
Get those scissors away from my coupons
CGC Help

Post by dbest4u »

Hi guys I need some help,, I got a bunch of books I would like to send off to CGC. In my first lot I will have issues of Manowar #1, Solar #1, #10, Unity Red and some other hardies,, my question is does any one have CGC graded books of any of these and if so can I email you some pics of my books to compare and see if I have any chance of getting anything good,, Im concern about the books spine, will be my first time sending so I dont know what to expect.. Thanks

JS

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Knightt_333 wrote:Dont send 'em off. Just keep 'em and read 'em. The 'hype' behind CGC graded books.. pfah. Oh wait, you are sending them in to make money. Sorry never mind. Send them in, get them graded and hopefully the hype behind your books will pay off. Graded by people who are padding the market on books that they got dirt cheap anyways, hype them and then sell them at five to ten times the amount they paid for them.

Conspiracy theory at it's best.

:twisted:

(ducking behind sandbags with Kevlar helmet, flak vest and M4 in hand, awaiting the barrage of hate/your an idiot/then dont buy them posts )

LOL
You're partly right...but you're forgetting one very important thing: collectors for decades in this 'hobby' of ours have been deluged with tons and tons of crap called 'NM' by thieves and cheats who got away with it because they could. When a book is CGC'd, you know that 97 out of 100 people are going to agree with the grade assigned within a half a grade.

THAT is the #1 reason why these books are selling for so much.

Gee...think what the prices would be in the Guide if we all lived in a perfect world where no one ever overgraded....and Guide price actually meant 'market value'....;)

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Post scans here and we will give you our opinions, in the truest CGC message board tradition.

Actually, I don't need to see them. 9.0, 9.2, 9.0, 8.5, and 6.5. Missed a small tear back cover. :-)

COMICKINGS
Account inactive by user's request

Post by COMICKINGS »

If you see ANY blemish that might make one of the graders take off any point grade,don't send it.I've sent in plenty books that I thought were MINT only to be shot down when I got them back.I sent in 5 Harbinger #1's 3 months ago and just got them back.2 were 9.6 & 3 were 9.4.When you look at the books and don't see ANYTHING wrong with it and it's a 9.4...it's pretty sad.You just don't know what those guys see that you don't.I've been dealing books forever and I am a harsh grader.So just check your books carefully.Don't think that if you see some minute imperfection that maybe somebody at CGC might overlook it...It could happen,but don't count on it.Pretty soon,any pre-unity book that is under a 9.8...you're probably only going to get (ungraded) book value out of.So it's not worth the price you are paying to have it graded.

dbest4u

Post by dbest4u »

Knightt,
I got regular copies for my reading purposes :lol: no need to worry.

CKB,
I will send some pics to Greg and see if he can post them for me.

ComicKings.
I know its tough to get high grade books, I think I will learn about grading with the my first lot, the hard way :cry:
I would really like to get some high grades for my collection and if I get seconds they will end up in Ebay.

Thanks guys

JS

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

COMICKINGS wrote:If you see ANY blemish that might make one of the graders take off any point grade,don't send it.I've sent in plenty books that I thought were MINT only to be shot down when I got them back.I sent in 5 Harbinger #1's 3 months ago and just got them back.2 were 9.6 & 3 were 9.4.When you look at the books and don't see ANYTHING wrong with it and it's a 9.4...it's pretty sad.You just don't know what those guys see that you don't.
S'ok, CK, lots of folks have done that very same thing. My question is....are you looking inside? 95 out of 100 times a book looks physically perfect on the OUTSIDE, it got a 9.6 or 9.4 because of something on the INSIDE...including things like printer roller tears (the holes made at the bottom of books that the paper rolls on while being printed), creased pages, nicked pages, offset pages, etc.

As I've said TOO many times, I come from coins, so I'm a HELL of a lot more critical when it comes to flaws....the difference between an MS-68 and MS-70 is generally invisible to the naked eye....and sometimes thousands of dollars in price. ;)

dbest4u

Post by dbest4u »

I just sent Greg the pics,, with a digital zoom point of view they look bad,, and its always the top right corners, :( , the rest of the corners are great,, Let me know what you guys think

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Here are DBEST4U's pics...

X-O Manowar 1 corners

Solar 1 corners

Solar 10 corners

...another Solar 10 corner

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

BRUTAL! the solar 1 that was on the bottom of the pile looked the best out of all of those to me...man, i wonder what my books look like when zoomed similarly.

i have NO cgc books, and NO experience in this matter (which is exactly the reason ik feel that i owe it to all of you to speak on this issue... :wink: ) but i don't know if i'd send any of those in. maybe that one solar.

how tough are they on those corners?

i mean we're talking about a folded piece of paper-how good can it ever look?

ckb

Post by ckb »

Forget about the covers...........Do you have a big table with images of Valiant covers on it? Whatever it is it looks really cool.

CGC is not too hard on the "Valiant corner", which is what these books suffer from. I've seen 9.6s and I believe even a 9.8 with this "bindery defect".

Certainly, the less flying paper pieces the better... :-)

I don't like the way the stack of solars look, but I've never seen such a big blow-up. The others look ok as far as the cracking/chipping on the spine.

lobo
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by lobo »

This is a good thread, and here is my question.
The slight cracking and chipping off the bindery is so common to Valiants and even current comics that if the comic overwise appeared perfect but had slight bindery defects, what would CGC grade it as??
I have tons of Valiants this way, NM+ but some slight cracking on the spine. And these are books that have never been opened even.

Any thoughts or feedback? Can they worthy of a 9.6 or higher?

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by BodaZoffa »

lobo wrote:This is a good thread, and here is my question.
The slight cracking and chipping off the bindery is so common to Valiants and even current comics that if the comic overwise appeared perfect but had slight bindery defects, what would CGC grade it as??
I have tons of Valiants this way, NM+ but some slight cracking on the spine. And these are books that have never been opened even.

Any thoughts or feedback? Can they worthy of a 9.6 or higher?
My X-O #1 CGC 9.8 has similar cracks on the spine, so I'm not sure how CGC looks at this on Valiants. I think they might take cover stock into consideration....

dbest4u

Post by dbest4u »

Thanks for posting the pics Greg..

When I first saw these books they looked Nm to me,, but once I took those pics it scared me. The rest of the books look great, the outer corners perfect,, and the Solar 10s dont even have cracks on the spine,, which is hard to get. That last pic of the Solar 10 is the best I have,, I will be one of the first go. I think I ll start sending them in lots of 5s and see what I get,, I just got another lot of 10 Manowar #1 that I picked up on Ebay and they look the same. As for my "Valiant covers table" it was just some books that I had gotten in the mail and had not put them in the right places yet, looks cool though. Thank you guys for your opinions

JS

ckb

Post by ckb »

FYI:

Sending books in lots of 5 will increase your shipping costs, both ways, considerably.

Unless I can get 30 books in, I don't bother.

Of course, you need to be prepared for a $500 bill.