Doctor Solar #7

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Doctor Solar #7

Post by ManofTheAtom »

My bro just came back from Vegas and he brought me a very fine copy of Doctor Solar #7 (Gold Key series).

I haven't read it yet (which I will do :) ), but I flipped through the pages.

It has two Doctor Solar stories and one Professor Harbinger story.

The first story deals with an underwater city (something which could have been cool at VALIANT) and the second one deals with a meteor (very standard Superman-esque plot).

The art loosk very cool, much better than most modern comics, actually.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Zero_UK
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Re: Doctor Solar #7

Post by Zero_UK »

ManofTheAtom wrote:My bro just came back from Vegas and he brought me a very fine copy of Doctor Solar #7 (Gold Key series).

The first story deals with an underwater city (something which could have been cool at VALIANT) and the second one deals with a meteor (very standard Superman-esque plot).
A very nice issue to have, MOTA.
I am pretty sure that we did have an undersea city in Valiant. It was either in Magnus or Rai.
Zero

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Re: Doctor Solar #7

Post by myron »

Zero wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:My bro just came back from Vegas and he brought me a very fine copy of Doctor Solar #7 (Gold Key series).

A very nice issue to have, MOTA.
I am pretty sure that we did have an undersea city in Valiant. It was either in Magnus or Rai.
Zero
1-A's residence was underwater...don't recall an entire city (re-reading entire magnus run at the moment...)
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I may be wrong, but didn't the original Rai's son (the one who turned evil and wore the X-0 Commando armor) have his robot factory underwater? It's in post-Birthquake Magnus

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

may be wrong, but didn't the original Rai's son (the one who turned evil and wore the X-0 Commando armor) have his robot factory underwater? It's in post-Birthquake Magnus
You are right. I kinda liked those issues of Magnus that combined the entire future world (Magnus, Rai, Psi-Lords) they were some of the better future Valiants after Unity

Zero_UK

Post by Zero_UK »

Ryan wrote:I may be wrong, but didn't the original Rai's son (the one who turned evil and wore the X-0 Commando armor) have his robot factory underwater? It's in post-Birthquake Magnus
True, but the story I remember concerned a whole city which had declared itself independent. It had escaped the Malev war. That's all I remember.
Zero

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Zero wrote:True, but the story I remember concerned a whole city which had declared itself independent. It had escaped the Malev war. That's all I remember.
Zero
Ah yes, Rai 33.

/Magnus

Zero_UK
Underwater City

Post by Zero_UK »

magnusr wrote:
Zero wrote:True, but the story I remember concerned a whole city which had declared itself independent. It had escaped the Malev war. That's all I remember.
Zero
Ah yes, Rai 33.

/Magnus
You are right, and so was Ryan. I just reread Rai#33. The city is called Magellan. Issue #33 was the last Rai, but the story continues in Magnus #49 (Birthquake).
Were there any previous uses of Magellan? There is also an underwater city in Gold Key Magnus #5. I shall read that next to look for any influences on this story arc.
I thought that the art on Rai #33 was superb. A bit of a contrast to Magnus #49 unfortunately.
Fascinating stuff!
:)
Zero

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

dellamorte wrote: I kinda liked those issues of Magnus that combined the entire future world (Magnus, Rai, Psi-Lords) they were some of the better future Valiants after Unity
I agree, Magnus was one of the few titles that actually improved after Birthquake. And the funny thing is that it was also one of the few titles that didn't get any of the 'big name' talent. hmmm..... :?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I didn't really like Giffen's Magnus.

I hated it what he did with 1-A. It was kindda lame.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote:I didn't really like Giffen's Magnus.

I hated it what he did with 1-A. It was kindda lame.
I wasn't a huge fan of Giffen's Magnus either, but I definitely prefer it to any of the Ostrander stuff. At least Giffen was trying to do some things.

but when I say post-BQ Magnus, I'm talking more about the Bedard issues with Rai merged in. Those were fun

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I liked the Ostrander stuff. The art in those comics was very cool.

I really liked the Malev Emperor.

And the Malev War is one of my favorite Magnus arcs.

I liked very little of what came after that. I hated the time jump in issue 38, I saw no reason for it.

I like second generation characters like Torque and Obadiah, but I think that the way it happened in Magnus was a little forced.

There was still a lot that could have been done with Magnus in the years following the Malev War.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote:I'm talking more about the Bedard issues with Rai merged in. Those were fun
Gotta say I liked Bedard's writing a lot. Good craftmanship with care for details.

/Magnus