Character Completists?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

xodacia81 wrote:
Yep, he sure was and, to Draco, didn't know about the Moore stuff. I'll try to hunt those down. Which issues were they?
My list is wrong as far as i can tell as i picked up one that wasnt on the list recently.
I think between 520 to 550 ish, but not all Moore anyway, just excellent short back ups like hey did way back when.
I will re do my DC wants before X-mas hopefully.
Got so many this last year i really need to re define what i want to collect and stop buying random books that take my fancy.

:thumb:

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

So, wanted an opinion on something:

I am currently building a collection of Green Lantern and Green Arrow, focusing on everything post-Crisis on Infinite Earths. This means trades or singles-I'm cheating a bit, but my main goal now is to have the books to READ them-of every regular series issue of GL (also GLCQ/GCL/GLEW) or GA, all minis/specials and annuals, as well as all appearances in any title by Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Alan Scott, Oliver Queen or Connor Hawke. I'm also picking up Mosaic and Guy Gardner/Guy Gardner: Warrior. This is a MASSIVE undertaking.

Am I nuts to attempt this?

Also, whenever I can, I am picking up issues of the Silver/Bronze age GL stuff, though just the main series for now.

So, once again...am I nuts? Any books I might be missing/overlooking? Any advice or comments?

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

xodacia81 wrote:So, wanted an opinion on something:

I am currently building a collection of Green Lantern and Green Arrow, focusing on everything post-Crisis on Infinite Earths. This means trades or singles-I'm cheating a bit, but my main goal now is to have the books to READ them-of every regular series issue of GL (also GLCQ/GCL/GLEW) or GA, all minis/specials and annuals, as well as all appearances in any title by Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Alan Scott, Oliver Queen or Connor Hawke. I'm also picking up Mosaic and Guy Gardner/Guy Gardner: Warrior. This is a MASSIVE undertaking.

Also, whenever I can, I am picking up issues of the Silver/Bronze age GL stuff, though just the main series for now.

So, once again...am I nuts? Any books I might be missing/overlooking? Any advice or comments?
I would love to have a run of GL and GA. The cool thing is it is an achievable goal. I don't think it is nuts at all. If this were my collection I would also add issues that complete story arcs involving those characters for example the early Hitman issues that lead up to the Kyle Rayner appearences. I would also add the Hal Jordan Spectre run.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Go for it xodacia! That'd be a sweet run to get.

Draco passed me the Meltzer run recently, it was freaking A!

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Drift wrote:

I would love to have a run of GL and GA. The cool thing is it is an achievable goal. I don't think it is nuts at all. If this were my collection I would also add issues that complete story arcs involving those characters for example the early Hitman issues that lead up to the Kyle Rayner appearences. I would also add the Hal Jordan Spectre run.
Sweet, that's exactly the approach I'm taking. My one obstacle is that some of my GL and GA is in trade form rather than singles, which is twofold: I don't have the money right now and I wanted good reading copies of the "good stuff". I have about half the run of Hal as The Spectre. Those are some tough books to find unless one heads online. So, would you consider it a "complete collection" if chunks of the series were in trade form or would you say I "have to" get the singles? I plan on getting them, one day. Just not this second. My wallet would hurt far too much if I did that.

BTW, the "collected" sections are GL(current volume): Rebirth through Blackest Night and Green Arrow(the Smith/Meltzer issues). Oh, and GL 138-140 in collected form from the recent 100 page special. Already had 137.

Drift

Post by Drift »

xodacia81 wrote:
Drift wrote:

Sweet, that's exactly the approach I'm taking. My one obstacle is that some of my GL and GA is in trade form rather than singles, which is twofold: I don't have the money right now and I wanted good reading copies of the "good stuff". I have about half the run of Hal as The Spectre. Those are some tough books to find unless one heads online. So, would you consider it a "complete collection" if chunks of the series were in trade form or would you say I "have to" get the singles? I plan on getting them, one day. Just not this second. My wallet would hurt far too much if I did that.

BTW, the "collected" sections are GL(current volume): Rebirth through Blackest Night and Green Arrow(the Smith/Meltzer issues). Oh, and GL 138-140 in collected form from the recent 100 page special. Already had 137.
My opinion is that if it exists I have to get it. Trades, HCs, Showcase/Essential, individual issues. If I am collecting something, I don't mess around. If it means I have 3 or 4 copies of the same story in different forms then so be it. It is the same as having trades and HCs on the VALIANT checklist. They are all part of the collection.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Drift wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Drift wrote:

My opinion is that if it exists I have to get it. Trades, HCs, Showcase/Essential, individual issues. If I am collecting something, I don't mess around. If it means I have 3 or 4 copies of the same story in different forms then so be it. It is the same as having trades and HCs on the VALIANT checklist. They are all part of the collection.
I sort of feel like that, too. My only obstacle right now is $$$. One day, I'll have them all. Right now, I'm trying to balance reading and "collecting". I will say I wish I had the $$$ to get the "new" volume in singles, because of the same reason I'm rushing to finish the rest of it before spring: Once the movie comes out, GL books are going to go UP in price. I've already seen a little of that and we're 8 months from the film. I can only imagine what prices will be like by April and May. If I find any of the "current" series cheap, I will pick them up (a dollar or less) but otherwise, I can't afford them right now.

Drift

Post by Drift »

xodacia81 wrote:
Drift wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Drift wrote:

I sort of feel like that, too. My only obstacle right now is $$$. One day, I'll have them all. Right now, I'm trying to balance reading and "collecting". I will say I wish I had the $$$ to get the "new" volume in singles, because of the same reason I'm rushing to finish the rest of it before spring: Once the movie comes out, GL books are going to go UP in price. I've already seen a little of that and we're 8 months from the film. I can only imagine what prices will be like by April and May. If I find any of the "current" series cheap, I will pick them up (a dollar or less) but otherwise, I can't afford them right now.
Hit up cheap bins wherever you can and you should find something as there is way too much stuff to be scooped up by interest. Showcases are a great way to read the early stuff. Ebay does have some bargains here and there on individual issues esspecially if yo don't mind well loved copies. Also hit up bulk lots wherever you can as they drive your average cost per issue down drastically. Firing a PM to either myself or Draco can't hurt either as I am sure we can fin you a few bits even if postage will be a bit of an arse.

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

I collect all the appearances of the Question.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Drift wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Drift wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Drift wrote:

Hit up cheap bins wherever you can and you should find something as there is way too much stuff to be scooped up by interest. Showcases are a great way to read the early stuff. Ebay does have some bargains here and there on individual issues esspecially if yo don't mind well loved copies. Also hit up bulk lots wherever you can as they drive your average cost per issue down drastically. Firing a PM to either myself or Draco can't hurt either as I am sure we can fin you a few bits even if postage will be a bit of an arse.
Good advice and I was thinking of htting up you and Draco once I get some finances cleared away. Probably around early January :thumb:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

iwantvaliantcomics wrote:I collect all the appearances of the Question.
Cool. I liked the Question storyline in 52 enough that I tracked down 5 Books of Blood. I'm considering getting the trades of the old O'Neill series. Beyond that, any specials and such are cool. I like The Question, too.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I did this for my first few years of really diving into an Iron Man collection. Although, I almost always ignored the Avengers books though as getting into that meant not only building a Silver Age Iron Man run ($$$) but a Silver Age Avengers run as well.

Then, as Iron Man became more prolific around the Civil War era of Marvel, his guest appearance became less and less special and I sort of just let it go. Some of the best Iron Man guest appearances though were in that great late Silver Age to mid Bronze era of titles.

There was actually a period of time when finding a cool Iron Man appearance was fun, just as was finding something unique like an Iron Man toothbrush or pen cap. Now that frivolous stuff is all over the place and it's mostly lost it's charm for me.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

IMJ wrote:I did this for my first few years of really diving into an Iron Man collection. Although, I almost always ignored the Avengers books though as getting into that meant not only building a Silver Age Iron Man run ($$$) but a Silver Age Avengers run as well.

Then, as Iron Man became more prolific around the Civil War era of Marvel, his guest appearance became less and less special and I sort of just let it go. Some of the best Iron Man guest appearances though were in that great late Silver Age to mid Bronze era of titles.

There was actually a period of time when finding a cool Iron Man appearance was fun, just as was finding something unique like an Iron Man toothbrush or pen cap. Now that frivolous stuff is all over the place and it's mostly lost it's charm for me.
I feel like that a bit about some of the JLA stuff with GL. But, the completist in me is going: Must. Have. It. All.

As for Marvel and Iron Man? What about instead of an "Iron Man" appearance, how about Tony as TONY instead of IM or both? How often has Tony popped up just as himself instead of as Iron Man? Meaning, how often has he shown up without once wearing the armor?

iwantvaliant

Post by iwantvaliant »

xodacia81 wrote:
iwantvaliantcomics wrote:I collect all the appearances of the Question.
Cool. I liked the Question storyline in 52 enough that I tracked down 5 Books of Blood. I'm considering getting the trades of the old O'Neill series. Beyond that, any specials and such are cool. I like The Question, too.
The O'Neil run on the Question is absolutely fantastic. I could read it over and over again.

Some of the original Ditko stories published by Charlton are also very good, even if they are verbose.

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

I collect Galactus, and casually collect Deadpool. (There's just too much being made right now. So I am trying to finish his pre-current series appearances actively, and I pick up the modern books in dollar bins when I see them. I am actively looking for the Heisman pose sketch cover though. And the Seige Ali G variant and Wolverine in Deadpool costume variants at the right price which will never happen.)

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

The only thing I'm actively trying to complete would be Animal Man. I'd like to do it for Booster Gold too at some point in the future.

Drift

Post by Drift »

ian_house wrote:The only thing I'm actively trying to complete would be Animal Man. I'd like to do it for Booster Gold too at some point in the future.
The great thing about Booster Gold is they did the original run in one Showcase volume so you can get a decent reading copy for a fair price.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:The only thing I'm actively trying to complete would be Animal Man. I'd like to do it for Booster Gold too at some point in the future.
The great thing about Booster Gold is they did the original run in one Showcase volume so you can get a decent reading copy for a fair price.
We've chatted about that Showcase before... I'm holding out man. Not bringing myself to read it without the colour. Still haven't found more than a few issues cheap though. Just don't see alot of them.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

I like the idea of Showcase, I just don't like the lack of color, either. I will say, however that the "Chronicles" aren't bad at all. They have color, good paper and reprint 6-9 issues at a time for about 12 dollars per collection. I've seen Green Lantern, Flash and, I think, Batman and Superman in Chronicles form. Those are nice to have if you want to read older stories.

Eternalwarrior68
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: v1 X-O / v3 Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by Eternalwarrior68 »

I have been working on a Nick Fury collection, he has alot of appearances. But its fun tracking them all down.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Green Lantern 82-91. Wow. Some really good stuff, including the death of Donna's son, the introduction of Fatality and a nice little "through line" with John Stewart. Oh, and the introduction of Jade. For once, Jade's intro didn't totally suck...although the parts with The 4th World did. Not as much as Final Crisis, but still not great. I think the biggest thing about this current section of books is the human drama element. Yeah, Kyle can sometimes be too introspective, but I like the book. It's a far cry from Hal Jordan weeping and considering suicide.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek

Post by IMJ »

xodacia81 wrote:
IMJ wrote:I did this for my first few years of really diving into an Iron Man collection. Although, I almost always ignored the Avengers books though as getting into that meant not only building a Silver Age Iron Man run ($$$) but a Silver Age Avengers run as well.

I feel like that a bit about some of the JLA stuff with GL. But, the completist in me is going: Must. Have. It. All.

As for Marvel and Iron Man? What about instead of an "Iron Man" appearance, how about Tony as TONY instead of IM or both? How often has Tony popped up just as himself instead of as Iron Man? Meaning, how often has he shown up without once wearing the armor?
Quasar #1 comes to mind.... I'd have to think about this for a while.