What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:Picked up and read Pride of Baghdad by Brian K Vaughan and Niko Henrichon. It's a short but powerful story and I'm sure it's not one that everyoner here would like. The art is truly awesome too. I can't recommend this highly enough.

BKV is becoming one of my favourite writers. I just wish I could finnish my run of Y!
I got given a copy of PoB as a gift a while ago. Loved it. That ending! :o
Yeah it's a bit of a shocker. I think it would rub some of the guys here the wrong way but still well worth checking out.

What else apart from Ex Machina and Y is worth checking out by him. I'm working on those two but its not easy.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

ian_house wrote:
Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:Picked up and read Pride of Baghdad by Brian K Vaughan and Niko Henrichon. It's a short but powerful story and I'm sure it's not one that everyoner here would like. The art is truly awesome too. I can't recommend this highly enough.

BKV is becoming one of my favourite writers. I just wish I could finnish my run of Y!
Yeah it's a bit of a shocker. I think it would rub some of the guys here the wrong way but still well worth checking out.

What else apart from Ex Machina and Y is worth checking out by him. I'm working on those two but its not easy.
Runaways is worth a gander up until he left. The Whedon issues afterwards are good but ruin the feel of the series as far as I am concerned.

Pretty much anything you can find by BKV is gonna be a good read though.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:
Drift wrote:

Runaways is worth a gander up until he left. The Whedon issues afterwards are good but ruin the feel of the series as far as I am concerned.

Schweeeet!

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

He did a run on Ultimate X-men. I believe Elveen is almost at that point n the series. He can probably give you a fresher opinion, but I remember liking it.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:
Drift wrote:

Very true. Although, as much as I loved Ex Machina, there were parts that I think weren't handled with the panache of Y-The Last Man. I never had issues with the "politics" of the book, just the way some sections unfolded. Pacing, maybe? A very good book, but nowhere near as polished as Y or POB. For a one-shot, POB was excellent.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:
Drift wrote:

Very true. Although, as much as I loved Ex Machina, there were parts that I think weren't handled with the panache of Y-The Last Man. I never had issues with the "politics" of the book, just the way some sections unfolded. Pacing, maybe? A very good book, but nowhere near as polished as Y or POB. For a one-shot, POB was excellent.
Thats another series I'm looking forward to getting into. I read the first 13 issues (picked them up for a couple o quid on eBay) but have found it difficult to pick up anymore for less than cover.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:
Drift wrote:

I tried reading the first Runaways tpb and nearly puked my guts out after the first issue. The art was terrible - something about the mouths really disturbed me. And the writing wasn't any better. If kids really act that way these days, I'm glad I'm sinle. "Lame secret passages"? Really? When I was a kid, I woulda given anything to find a secret passage. Or have a room full of arcade games. The kids in the comic just sit there acting bored. Either that's bad writing or kids have been ruined by the internet. Stupid kids. Uh, I mean stupid internet. :mad:

Drift

Post by Drift »

Burrito Boy wrote:
Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:
Drift wrote:

I tried reading the first Runaways tpb and nearly puked my guts out after the first issue. The art was terrible - something about the mouths really disturbed me. And the writing wasn't any better. If kids really act that way these days, I'm glad I'm sinle. "Lame secret passages"? Really? When I was a kid, I woulda given anything to find a secret passage. Or have a room full of arcade games. The kids in the comic just sit there acting bored. Either that's bad writing or kids have been ruined by the internet. Stupid kids. Uh, I mean stupid internet. :mad:
They were all spoiled brats. Their parents had serious money and obviously spent a lot on keeping the kids out of the way so they could continue with their occult and criminal activities.

I too would have loved a room full of arcade games and to find secret passages but that is because I grew up on a council estate in a *SQUEE* town and dreamed of escape in many forms. These kids didn't have that same desire, they were given stuff to keep them out of the way. Secret passages in a dusty old house and rooms full of toys and games systems probably did appear lame but I bet they came to appreciate that stuff later on when they were on the streets and on the run.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Finished Preacher Vol 8. One more to go.

Working through Solar A&O in my valiant re-reading effort.

X-23 #1 - I won't be picking up #2.

Unwritten #17 - This is a choose your own adventure comic. I've only just started it, but this book is a whole lot of fun. You can tell a ton of work went into this. This is a rare book that is easily worth the $3.99 and more. My only experience with this series is reading #1 and not liking it too much. However, from checking this one issue out, I'll definitely be trying the trades at some point. It's very rare that something new is tried in comics. This issue did that.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Did anyone else read Skullkickers #1? I'm curious to hear thoughts on the book.

Drift

Post by Drift »

Currently reading Meridian. Just grabbed vols. 1 and 3 to supplement my vols. 2 and 4 and my Forge books so I should be able to take this quite a way.

After that I got a stack of other Crossgen books to read.

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (the book)

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Unblessed wrote:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (the book)
I've seen that on the shelves and it looks like pure awesome. I'll be picking it up pretty soon.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

This sounds full of win and made of awesome.

:thumb:

-slym

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

slym2none wrote:
This sounds full of win and made of awesome.

-slym
Go to a Barnes & Noble, find it, sit down with it and read a few chapters.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Sat down last night and read Flash: Rebirth then got up today and read Flash # 1-5, plus Secret Files(current series). The stories have been good and the art is superb. I'm not sure if "The Dastardly Death of The Rogues" is meant to be a 6 issue story but I honestly can't see them finishing it up in just one more issue. 7 or 8 isssues for an "opening" story, which is what this is shaping up to be, is pretty nice. If you're a fan of The Flash/Barry Allen, and haven't checked out the current series yet, I say do it, especially since it appears that next year's big storyline, FlashPoint (the followup to Brightest Day?) is centered around The Flash.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:Sat down last night and read Flash: Rebirth then got up today and read Flash # 1-5, plus Secret Files(current series). The stories have been good and the art is superb. I'm not sure if "The Dastardly Death of The Rogues" is meant to be a 6 issue story but I honestly can't see them finishing it up in just one more issue. 7 or 8 isssues for an "opening" story, which is what this is shaping up to be, is pretty nice. If you're a fan of The Flash/Barry Allen, and haven't checked out the current series yet, I say do it, especially since it appears that next year's big storyline, FlashPoint (the followup to Brightest Day?) is centered around The Flash.
Gotta agree, it's been fantastic!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Star Wars: Dark Empire II TPB
Transformers: Ironhide #1-4
Dragon Age #1-3
Madrox: Multiple Choice #3-5
Darkwing Duck #1-3
X-Factor #208
X-Factor: Nation X #1
The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David vol. 1 TPB

Eternalwarrior68
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: v1 X-O / v3 Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by Eternalwarrior68 »

just picked up the Batman : knight Fall trades(1-3) got them cheap. its been fun reading this story again. I also picked up my official nick fury S.H.I.E.L.D. badge from the LCS yesterday very cool. :thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Still reading Ult X-Men. Still liking it.

I'm in the Vaughn run. Good, not much different than the rest.... yet.

I m not a big fan of he Kubert art. There was someone who did a cartoon-y style in the teens (I think) that I really liked. The Stuart Immonen (sp?) stuff is very good.

I'm reading about 2 issues a day and diggin it. :thumb:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Drift wrote:Currently reading Meridian. Just grabbed vols. 1 and 3 to supplement my vols. 2 and 4 and my Forge books so I should be able to take this quite a way.

After that I got a stack of other Crossgen books to read.

I loved Meridian. For me, as I reflect on Crossgen (I've read about 90-95% of it) Merdian might be the best from start to finish. It is a lovely story, with amazing colors and big time sci-fi concepts.

I think it would be a great TV show. It is a coming of age story with a teen age girl as the lead. The supporting characters are deep and well thought out. The world is well crafted. Tons of unexplored concepts in there.

For me, Meridian is a great, great book.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:Did anyone else read Skullkickers #1? I'm curious to hear thoughts on the book.
I have not read it yet. I will tonight and give an opinion.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Elveen wrote: For me, Meridian is a great, great book.
x2 :thumb:

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:Sat down last night and read Flash: Rebirth then got up today and read Flash # 1-5, plus Secret Files(current series). The stories have been good and the art is superb. I'm not sure if "The Dastardly Death of The Rogues" is meant to be a 6 issue story but I honestly can't see them finishing it up in just one more issue. 7 or 8 isssues for an "opening" story, which is what this is shaping up to be, is pretty nice. If you're a fan of The Flash/Barry Allen, and haven't checked out the current series yet, I say do it, especially since it appears that next year's big storyline, FlashPoint (the followup to Brightest Day?) is centered around The Flash.
Gotta agree, it's been fantastic!
What about if you are a Wally West fan?

I read the first 2 or 3 issues of Rebirth and I didn't care for it at all. It was all sorts of mopey. I did pick up the rest out of cheap bins and will read it eventually, but it feels weird not to be reading any Flash for the first time in a long time.

I even sat through that crap by Bilson. Is the new series still mopey like the beginning of Rebirth was? If not, I might give it a whirl.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote:
400yrs wrote:Did anyone else read Skullkickers #1? I'm curious to hear thoughts on the book.
I have not read it yet. I will tonight and give an opinion.

How many did you snag? I only found 4 and flipped them all already.