What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

I found a copy of The Question: Five Books of Blood tpb. Read the first chapter. Not bad. Also read Green Arrow collection "The Sounds of Violence". Not bad. Not as good as Quiver, but damn good. Now to find the next collection.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote:Still in Ult X-men. In the Cable storyline.

Still enjoying it. For sure a enjoyable read.
Who is the writer in the part where you are? Wondering if you got to the Kirkman stuff yet.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:

Who is the writer in the part where you are? Wondering if you got to the Kirkman stuff yet.
Yes kirkman. All of the writing has been fairly sold. There is some stuff I can do with out, but overall a good series. I am enjoying the kirkman books. It's not WD, but really what is?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
400yrs wrote:

Yes kirkman. All of the writing has been fairly sold. There is some stuff I can do with out, but overall a good series. I am enjoying the kirkman books. It's not WD, but really what is?
Right now, there's only 1 book where I think the writing is better than in WD and that's Fables. That said, when Johns is on fire, Green Lantern is a close second. Totally different styles, but good stuff.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Just read Action Comics #893. It was much better than the few previous issues. For the first time in a long time Gorilla Grodd was freaking SCARY! Some of the more intense scenes with him were really disturbing which is what you would expect from a super-intelligent, savage, giant gorilla. Much better.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Tim wrote:Just read Action Comics #893. It was much better than the few previous issues. For the first time in a long time Gorilla Grodd was freaking SCARY! Some of the more intense scenes with him were really disturbing which is what you would expect from a super-intelligent, savage, giant gorilla. Much better.
YAY :thumb:

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

ian_house wrote:
Tim wrote:Just read Action Comics #893. It was much better than the few previous issues. For the first time in a long time Gorilla Grodd was freaking SCARY! Some of the more intense scenes with him were really disturbing which is what you would expect from a super-intelligent, savage, giant gorilla. Much better.
YAY :thumb:
The current Action run sounds good. :thumb:

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

hes been bad *SQUEE* this time

captain1stern
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by captain1stern »

The last issue of Irredeemable really juiced things up. The story really picked up the pace a lot and had plenty of character development, while featuring practically no action.

Just an up date in case someone's considering checking out the title.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

X-23 #1 - This was confusing. I didn't dig it at all.

Wolverine #1 - I like Jason Aaron, but Wolverine Goes to Hell? Blegh.

Dynamo 5: Sins of the Father #4 - Really liked this one. It took a turn that I didn't expect at all and set things up nicely for the final issue of the arc.

If you are a fan of D5 or Rob Guillory's art (Chew), I HIGHLY encourage you to check out the variant cover for the upcoming Dynamo 5 Holiday Special. I think it's awesome! Guillory is fantastic and getting better and better. It's up for pre-order this month!

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

That's a sweet cover!

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Odd style. Has a Keith Giffen look to it.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Odd style. Has a Keith Giffen look to it.
that right there might be enough to turn me off of it...

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

I don't know how else to explain it except that when you read the book, it has a more "fluid" style than Giffen. Really good stuff. Oh, and the writing is even better :thumb:

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

myron wrote:
Yeah, hard to forget the awfulness he subjected us to during his time at Valiant....<shudder>

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
myron wrote:
Yeah, hard to forget the awfulness he subjected us to during his time at Valiant....<shudder>
True, his work at Valiant was awful(except for his script to Solar # 60) but the art in Chew, which I don't think is THAT similar to Giffen-I think it is better than anything he's ever done, in fact-is unique and really fits the book.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Just finished the second (collected) volume of ION, about Kyle Rayner(Green Lantern 1994-2004) and I have to say it was pretty good, although a bit of a tease in that I expected more with the villains rather than just setups for other events. Still, it was a good examination of Kyle's psyche and his place in the DCU at that time(and even now, to a degree). Good art, too.

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Cerebus: Church & State Vol 2.

It's slow going. I do like the use of the Roach as a foil for current comic events. :thumb: I do not like Cerebus' "talking like he has a cold and is sick"... It gets really hard to read because it's in British. :mad:

High Society was top notch, A++, all the way. :thumb: :thumb:

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Unblessed wrote:Cerebus: Church & State Vol 2.

It's slow going. I do like the use of the Roach as a foil for current comic events. :thumb: I do not like Cerebus' "talking like he has a cold and is sick"... It gets really hard to read because it's in British. :mad:

High Society was top notch, A++, all the way. :thumb: :thumb:
Well, there's plenty of times in the overall Cerebus storyline where the writing is "slow going". Probably one of the things that turned a lot of people off of the book as the years went on, along with some of the attitudes and opinions in the various text pieces. Count yourself lucky you're not at the Torah interpretations/Konigsberg stuff yet. That was probably the closest I came to saying the hell with it and giving up. It was just way too close to #300 to bail at that point, though.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

myron wrote:
That cover looks like Giffen? I guess I can see it maybe in Captain Dynamo.

Guillory's style doesn't at all look like Giffen. I can see what you are saying from this cover though.

Anyway, I should be in possession of this cover soon. :banana:

Myron, have you tried Chew? I'd think it might be up your alley. It's really fantastic.

X-O, did you read #14 yet? It was absolutely hilarious. LOL funny in at least 2 spots for me.

All the little stuff in the art like the movie they are watching, Savoy's name tag...... This is a fun book from both the writer and the artist. Guillory really did some different things in this issue for the flashbacks. He's an artist who isn't afraid to experiment and he always nails it.

This book may not be the most popular book out there, but I'd have a hard time trying to find another book that was as creative or as inventive as this book.

The cover for #15 is going to be awesome.

If anyone is considering trying it, I'd recommed the hardcover. Hell, it comes with a ribbon. What else do you need?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:
myron wrote:
That cover looks like Giffen? I guess I can see it maybe in Captain Dynamo.

Guillory's style doesn't at all look like Giffen. I can see what you are saying from this cover though.

Anyway, I should be in possession of this cover soon. :banana:

Myron, have you tried Chew? I'd think it might be up your alley. It's really fantastic.

X-O, did you read #14 yet? It was absolutely hilarious. LOL funny in at least 2 spots for me.

All the little stuff in the art like the movie they are watching, Savoy's name tag...... This is a fun book from both the writer and the artist. Guillory really did some different things in this issue for the flashbacks. He's an artist who isn't afraid to experiment and he always nails it.

This book may not be the most popular book out there, but I'd have a hard time trying to find another book that was as creative or as inventive as this book.

The cover for #15 is going to be awesome.

If anyone is considering trying it, I'd recommed the hardcover. Hell, it comes with a ribbon. What else do you need?
Yep, read # 14 when it came out. Love that series. I'm enjoying the direction the series is going in. I agree with new readers getting the hardcover, as it collects the first 10 issues, particularly since 11-14 seem to be pretty easy to find and that way they can quickly hop aboard. As for laugh out loud parts, I busted about ten guts during the flashbacks to Tony's nutty ex. The book is just a gem with so much going on, all the little details, and yet it is never too much. Along with Fables & Walking Dead, Chew is about as close to perfection as current comics can come.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

xodacia81 wrote: Yep, read # 14 when it came out. Love that series. I'm enjoying the direction the series is going in. I agree with new readers getting the hardcover, as it collects the first 10 issues, particularly since 11-14 seem to be pretty easy to find and that way they can quickly hop aboard. As for laugh out loud parts, I busted about ten guts during the flashbacks to Tony's nutty ex. The book is just a gem with so much going on, all the little details, and yet it is never too much. Along with Fables & Walking Dead, Chew is about as close to perfection as current comics can come.
Tony's ex was hilarious. So was his other ex who bashed his car who had carved "Tony" in her arm. I've known wack jobs like that.

I read TWD 77 last night. People seem to think it's ramping up again. I see that from the last few pages in this issue, but I think it's going to settle back down and then the *SQUEE* will hit the fan again in the few issues leading up to #96.

Kirkman seems to write in blocks.

My observations / theory:
Single issues nearly always end in a cliffhanger.
6 issues (a trade) covers a small arc.
12 issues (a HC) 2 small arcs which kind of form a little bigger arc leaving a feeling of closure.
24 issues (an omni) which covers a bit more of a complete story with some closure.
48 issues (a compendium) a full huge story with more closure than anyone could ever hope for.

The current issue, #77 would put us in the middle of the second compendium and in the beginning of the 4th omni. I think it's still going to be another 13-15 issues before the *SQUEE* starts to fly big time like the first big 48 issue arc.

I'm sure Kirkman has structured everything like this on purpose. Alot of writers write for trades, but with TWD, I think Kirkman considers alot more than that.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:
xodacia81 wrote: Yep, read # 14 when it came out. Love that series. I'm enjoying the direction the series is going in. I agree with new readers getting the hardcover, as it collects the first 10 issues, particularly since 11-14 seem to be pretty easy to find and that way they can quickly hop aboard. As for laugh out loud parts, I busted about ten guts during the flashbacks to Tony's nutty ex. The book is just a gem with so much going on, all the little details, and yet it is never too much. Along with Fables & Walking Dead, Chew is about as close to perfection as current comics can come.
Tony's ex was hilarious. So was his other ex who bashed his car who had carved "Tony" in her arm. I've known wack jobs like that.

I read TWD 77 last night. People seem to think it's ramping up again. I see that from the last few pages in this issue, but I think it's going to settle back down and then the *SQUEE* will hit the fan again in the few issues leading up to #96.

12 issues (a HC) 2 small arcs which kind of form a little bigger arc leaving a feeling of closure.
24 issues (an omni) which covers a bit more of a complete story with some closure.
48 issues (a compendium) a full huge story with more closure than anyone could ever hope for.

The current issue, #77 would put us in the middle of the second compendium and in the beginning of the 4th omni. I think it's still going to be another 13-15 issues before the *SQUEE* starts to fly big time like the first big 48 issue arc.

I'm sure Kirkman has structured everything like this on purpose. Alot of writers write for trades, but with TWD, I think Kirkman considers alot more than that.
You might be on to something there. I know that Willingham does his 5-8 issue arcs in Fables strictly for the collections.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:

That is some serious Encyclopedia Brown stuff right there. :thumb:

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Just read the Surrogate Owner's Manual. It's a great looking hardcover that collects both mini-series. The art could have been better but it's a very cool concept that looks at the social ramifications of using the surrogates technology to replace humans in every day life.