What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Before I began on my recent "late run" GL kick, I had been reading earlier stuff from the same volume and had gotten up through 21. My plan was to discuss the run from 9-25, but I've gone a little further and read up through 29. I can see where people felt that GL had lost its way before Marz took over.

Granted, the changes he wrought were not all for the best, but I don't know if I've ever seen a more annoyingly talky book than GL under Gerard Jones. I remember enjoying this section a lot more the first time I read it, but I was a kid back then. Yes, there were some great character moments but none of the villains have been truly memorable except for maybe "The Old Timer". I can certainly tell why the sales had dipped.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Mass Effect: Redemption TPB
Incorruptible vol. 2 TPB
Irredeemable vol. 4 TPB
Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle TPB
The Incredible Hulk Visonaries: Peter David vol. 1 TPB
Darkwing Duck #1-4
The Transformers #7-12
The Transformers: Ironhide #1-4

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

lots o reading

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Airboy.

Got the run. Going to read an issue a night. 8-)

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

on WD HC 2 :thumb:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Had to skip Green Lantern 30 & 31, since I only have one of the two Flash issues for that story. Darn crossovers. I did read 32-36 and that, I must say, was a great story that really showed the arrogance of the Guardians and in many ways, laid the groundwork for what later happened with Hal, Ganthet and everything up through today's books. An excellent use of history. I couldn't help but be reminded, with the villain being Entropy/Kronna, of the story theme for final season of Tom Baker as The Doctor in Doctor Who. All in all, excellent work.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Just read Green Arrow: Archer's Quest. This would be issues 16-21 of volume 3, the story following the end of Kevin Smith's run. I can't say enough about how good this story was. If you are a Green Arrow fan and haven't read this, track down a copy and get to it. Everything good about the previous 15 issues of this volume was here, in abundance, yet greatly enriched. Having not read any of the Winnick Green Arrow stories, I cannot compare the eras but I will say that these first 21 issues are the best Green Arrow stories I've read that were not from the pen of Mike Grell. Archer's Quest may be the most emotionally satisfying Green Arrow story since The Longbow Hunters. Truly a great story.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

xodacia81 wrote:Had to skip Green Lantern 30 & 31, since I only have one of the two Flash issues for that story. Darn crossovers. I did read 32-36 and that, I must say, was a great story that really showed the arrogance of the Guardians and in many ways, laid the groundwork for what later happened with Hal, Ganthet and everything up through today's books. An excellent use of history. I couldn't help but be reminded, with the villain being Entropy/Kronna, of the story theme for final season of Tom Baker as The Doctor in Doctor Who. All in all, excellent work.
luved those Who episodes... :thumb:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

myron wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:Had to skip Green Lantern 30 & 31, since I only have one of the two Flash issues for that story. Darn crossovers. I did read 32-36 and that, I must say, was a great story that really showed the arrogance of the Guardians and in many ways, laid the groundwork for what later happened with Hal, Ganthet and everything up through today's books. An excellent use of history. I couldn't help but be reminded, with the villain being Entropy/Kronna, of the story theme for final season of Tom Baker as The Doctor in Doctor Who. All in all, excellent work.
luved those Who episodes... :thumb:
They were quite different from the previous year. Less zany, somber, better production values, harder science. Not the most consistenly compelling set of episodes (some of them seemed a bit banal) but a noble effort to do something different.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm at the early teens of the Immortal Iron Fist.

Really diggin it. The concept seems real cool.

And I love the way the story jumps around with different artists, keeps the book real fresh.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote:I'm at the early teens of the Immortal Iron Fist.

And I love the way the story jumps around with different artists, keeps the book real fresh.
Awesome. It stays strong throughout, IMO.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:I'm at the early teens of the Immortal Iron Fist.

Awesome. It stays strong throughout, IMO.
I hope so. Looking forward to reading an book before I sleep tonight.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Anyone up to date on the Batman stuff? I love Morrison... but I'm confused.

Fables 99 was ace, trying not to say too much, but I think it was nice to revist the Dark Man before things kick off. Art was stunning.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ian_house wrote:Anyone up to date on the Batman stuff? I love Morrison... but I'm confused.

Fables 99 was ace, trying not to say too much, but I think it was nice to revist the Dark Man before things kick off. Art was stunning.
Out LCS did not recieve 98 in their normal shipment. We did get 99 on time but 98 is on back order so I am not reading 99 until we get 98.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Chiclo wrote:
ian_house wrote:Anyone up to date on the Batman stuff? I love Morrison... but I'm confused.

Out LCS did not recieve 98 in their normal shipment. We did get 99 on time but 98 is on back order so I am not reading 99 until we get 98.
Thats a bummer. Glad I didn't go into spoiler mode :lol:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

# 99 did have some amazing art. Fables never ceases to please these days in terms of art or story. If Bucky ever had to step down...wow...I think I have a new artist to follow. After the creaky "Dark Ages" and "Crossover" storylines, Willingham has been turning in some real aces. # 99 has me sooooooo pumped for # 100. This is going to be SPECIAL.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Just read Green Lantern 37 through 39, the last two issues featuring Adam Strange in a story about the "U-Mind". I've never read a lot of the Rann-Thanagar stories, but the more I read with Adam, the more I like him, even if he seems a throwback to the Golden Age. Here is a guy who is "just" a human who has become the protector of a distant planet and survives on his wits, courage, tenacity and with just a bit of technological help. Very much a riff on John Carter of Mars. The first extended reading I ever did with the character was in 52, but, while he'll never become a full fave, I do enjoy the stories. My complaint about Gerard Jones writing remains, however. It is overly talky, overly expository and falls flat when it comes to Hal "figuring things out" during battle.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Green Lantern # 40-43. The forgettable run continues, although it was fun seeing Deathstroke in 41 & 42. Sometimes I just don't get Gerard Jones writing. It's like he was an ALMOST great writer that couldn't get out of his own way. Everything that Geoff Johns "gets", Jones "just" missed. I will have to skip 44 & 45, as I don't have the rest of the Trinity crossover. So, the next storyline is the "Emerald Twilight" epic, the seeds of which are planted in # 46...the next to last installment in Reign of the Supermen. I'm looking forward to seeing the series transition to Kyle, as it has been a while since I closely read those issues.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:Just read Green Lantern 37 through 39, the last two issues featuring Adam Strange in a story about the "U-Mind". I've never read a lot of the Rann-Thanagar stories, but the more I read with Adam, the more I like him, even if he seems a throwback to the Golden Age. Here is a guy who is "just" a human who has become the protector of a distant planet and survives on his wits, courage, tenacity and with just a bit of technological help. Very much a riff on John Carter of Mars. The first extended reading I ever did with the character was in 52, but, while he'll never become a full fave, I do enjoy the stories. My complaint about Gerard Jones writing remains, however. It is overly talky, overly expository and falls flat when it comes to Hal "figuring things out" during battle.
Thats pretty much how I've felt about Adam Strange, seems more interesting every time he pops up. May have to put him on the ever growing list of things to look into.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Just read the Deadpool MAX thing from David Lapham/Kyle Baker. Very entertaining. I'm not one who thinks Deadpool is the greatest, but I enjoyed the character and story in this book.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Scarlett # 2 by Bendis. Proving once again he writes great crime books while his superhero stuff is more....eh....

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Green Lantern, 46-50. Emerald Twilight. Ok. What was the big fuss? Given what the Guardians were always like, except for Hal killing the GLC, I didn't even CARE about the Guardians. Those little blue nazis. Marz's writing (48 onward) was a vast improvement from Gerard Jones. I had forgotten Bill Willingham's art for # 48. Really good stuff. He drew the best set of boobs (on Alex, on the final page) I've ever seen in a GL book of that era. :twisted:

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

great reasons to like a book OO

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

superman-prime wrote:great reasons to like a book OO
The story was great, but...heh... :twisted: boobabge is never bad :twisted:

slym2none