What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Just read The Spectre # 1-4, of the Hal Jordan era. Well well well. The art was perfect for the mood of the story, which raised a lot of interesting questions. Seeing Batman and Superman was nice, although I must say that Batman has become less of a hero and more of a facist in my eyes with his recent portrayal. I don't think I ever loved seeing a punch land on a character as much as when Hal knocked Bruce Wayne cold in Rebirth. Is it just me or has Bruce become a smug, self-centred, arrogant and nearly hateful character since his return to duty in Knight's End? Or, is it a recasting of Bruce to something between his post-COIE depiction and some of the darker tones in the original Detective Comics stories?

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

the hal bruce fight was great

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

superman-prime wrote:the hal bruce fight was great
"JORDAN! We aren't DONE here. WE-"

KAPOW!

"Yes we are. I don't have time for this."

Funny stuff and Bruce deserved that punch.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:Just read The Spectre # 1-4, of the Hal Jordan era. Well well well. The art was perfect for the mood of the story, which raised a lot of interesting questions. Seeing Batman and Superman was nice, although I must say that Batman has become less of a hero and more of a facist in my eyes with his recent portrayal. I don't think I ever loved seeing a punch land on a character as much as when Hal knocked Bruce Wayne cold in Rebirth. Is it just me or has Bruce become a smug, self-centred, arrogant and nearly hateful character since his return to duty in Knight's End? Or, is it a recasting of Bruce to something between his post-COIE depiction and some of the darker tones in the original Detective Comics stories?
I think we won't be seeing much more of a$$hole Bruce...

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

After a mixture of moving house and having the flu I've fell behind a few weeks and had to cut down on my comic buying. But yesterday I made a jaunt up to forbidden planet and grabbed a handful of stuff from the last few weeks... and it sure was worth it! (I'll try not to put in too many spoilers but there may be some)

Invincible 75 - This was a bumper issue and the Viltrumite war REALLY kicked off! There is some stunning art in this issue, the way Ottley draws space and the battle is just brilliant. My only complaint would be that I would have preferred more Invincible story and less Science Dog/Tech Jacket for $6.

Batman & Robin 16 - Oh snap. I kinda take back the things I've said about the last two issues of this series. I didn't understand everything that was going on but this issue made it all come together in such a way that I was amazed when I put down this issue. As I've said in another thread this issue will polarize fans as there are some revelations. The way that Morisson deals with Dr Hurt, Prof. Pyg, The Joker, a nuclear bomb, 2 Batmen and Robin is just amazing. Everything makes sense and the issue is packed with *SQUEE* yes moments. Particularly a confrontation between Dr Hurt and the Joker. Put another way this is one of the best single comics I've read in a long time, maybe ever.

The Return of Bruce Wayne 6 - This is the counterpoint to Batman & Robin 16. Sadly this didn't have the same impact for me and it left me feeling that this entire series probably wasn't worth my while. That said it did make sense of the mess that was Final Crisis/RIP/Bruce Wayne's return.

Booster Gold 38 - Glory Days! Once again we see Booster takling a new problem thats thrown at him instead of getting a chance to get to Max Lord. I know this may annoy some people but I like it alot, it keeps Booster true to his character. A victim of circumstance. Booster Gold has been one of DC's best series for 38 issues now.

Chew 15 - The end of the third arc and we are exposed to alot of new info. I'm not going to say much on this one as I don't wanna spoil it. Once again excellent and 15 issues in probably the best thing Image are publishing! I think this may also polarize fans.

Anyone else read any of these? Thoughts?

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Dynamo 5 Sins of the Father #5 of 5.

This mini was really good. It took a page out of the Invinciverse in terms of brutality. I recommend picking up the trade when it comes out.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:After a mixture of moving house and having the flu I've fell behind a few weeks and had to cut down on my comic buying. But yesterday I made a jaunt up to forbidden planet and grabbed a handful of stuff from the last few weeks... and it sure was worth it! (I'll try not to put in too many spoilers but there may be some)

Invincible 75 - This was a bumper issue and the Viltrumite war REALLY kicked off! There is some stunning art in this issue, the way Ottley draws space and the battle is just brilliant. My only complaint would be that I would have preferred more Invincible story and less Science Dog/Tech Jacket for $6.

Batman & Robin 16 - Oh snap. I kinda take back the things I've said about the last two issues of this series. I didn't understand everything that was going on but this issue made it all come together in such a way that I was amazed when I put down this issue. As I've said in another thread this issue will polarize fans as there are some revelations. The way that Morisson deals with Dr Hurt, Prof. Pyg, The Joker, a nuclear bomb, 2 Batmen and Robin is just amazing. Everything makes sense and the issue is packed with *SQUEE* yes moments. Particularly a confrontation between Dr Hurt and the Joker. Put another way this is one of the best single comics I've read in a long time, maybe ever.

The Return of Bruce Wayne 6 - This is the counterpoint to Batman & Robin 16. Sadly this didn't have the same impact for me and it left me feeling that this entire series probably wasn't worth my while. That said it did make sense of the mess that was Final Crisis/RIP/Bruce Wayne's return.

Booster Gold 38 - Glory Days! Once again we see Booster takling a new problem thats thrown at him instead of getting a chance to get to Max Lord. I know this may annoy some people but I like it alot, it keeps Booster true to his character. A victim of circumstance. Booster Gold has been one of DC's best series for 38 issues now.

Chew 15 - The end of the third arc and we are exposed to alot of new info. I'm not going to say much on this one as I don't wanna spoil it. Once again excellent and 15 issues in probably the best thing Image are publishing! I think this may also polarize fans.

I read Chew and well...yeah, great issue that is pretty much impossible to describe without spoilers. Suffice to say that it shouldn't be totally unexpected but if people are going to be put off by the events of the issue...I don't think they really are Chew fans.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:After a mixture of moving house and having the flu I've fell behind a few weeks and had to cut down on my comic buying. But yesterday I made a jaunt up to forbidden planet and grabbed a handful of stuff from the last few weeks... and it sure was worth it! (I'll try not to put in too many spoilers but there may be some)

I read Chew and well...yeah, great issue that is pretty much impossible to describe without spoilers. Suffice to say that it shouldn't be totally unexpected but if people are going to be put off by the events of the issue...I don't think they really are Chew fans.
Yeah I think you're probably right. Layman could do pretty much anything with the story as long as it kept those moments of comedy genius and the overall heart/feeling I'd be cool with it. Also the opening few pages of Savoy were just amazing. Using all those little boxes looked excellent. I'm surprised no one else has read any of these!

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

Yeah I think you're probably right. Layman could do pretty much anything with the story as long as it kept those moments of comedy genius and the overall heart/feeling I'd be cool with it. Also the opening few pages of Savoy were just amazing. Using all those little boxes looked excellent. I'm surprised no one else has read any of these!
Agreed. For a book as big a hit as this thing has been, this board doesn't reflect that. There aren't many Chew fans on the board that I know of, except for me, you, 400Years...and well, that's it for the ones I'm certain of. Anyways, an anecdote about Chew: I go to buy the book this week and the owner of the shop says "oh, so you like grossout potty humor" and I respond "No. The book isn't really about grossout humor, it's much deeper than that." He wasn't buying it. It's early, but I think Chew could end up on the same shelf as some of the alltime classic runs. As it stands now, I think it's probably the 2nd best book on the market, behind only Fables and just barely ahead of The Walking Dead.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

xodacia81 wrote: Agreed. For a book as big a hit as this thing has been, this board doesn't reflect that. There aren't many Chew fans on the board that I know of, except for me, you, 400Years...and well, that's it for the ones I'm certain of. Anyways, an anecdote about Chew: I go to buy the book this week and the owner of the shop says "oh, so you like grossout potty humor" and I respond "No. The book isn't really about grossout humor, it's much deeper than that." He wasn't buying it. It's early, but I think Chew could end up on the same shelf as some of the alltime classic runs. As it stands now, I think it's probably the 2nd best book on the market, behind only Fables and just barely ahead of The Walking Dead.
The only part of this book that was even remotely gross-out humor was the poo-eating scene. You knew they had to do that at some point. I'm glad he did it quickly and didn't make an arc based on it.

It's the most brilliant and innovative book on the market IMO. For me, it's hard to argue that this isn't the best book on the market. The singles read great and each issue is just absolutely excellent - entertaining, funny, sometimes a bit touching. With maybe the exception of #4 (the outer space issue), I don't think I've ever come away not feeling completely entertained and I'm sure that part will make sense in the end (I haven't read #15 yet).

It's a toss-up for me between this book and TWD and Invincible every month, but on average, this is the book that entertains me the most. The story doesn't necessarily stick with me as much as the others, but it's definitely the most entertaining.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:
xodacia81 wrote: Agreed. For a book as big a hit as this thing has been, this board doesn't reflect that. There aren't many Chew fans on the board that I know of, except for me, you, 400Years...and well, that's it for the ones I'm certain of. Anyways, an anecdote about Chew: I go to buy the book this week and the owner of the shop says "oh, so you like grossout potty humor" and I respond "No. The book isn't really about grossout humor, it's much deeper than that." He wasn't buying it. It's early, but I think Chew could end up on the same shelf as some of the alltime classic runs. As it stands now, I think it's probably the 2nd best book on the market, behind only Fables and just barely ahead of The Walking Dead.
The only part of this book that was even remotely gross-out humor was the poo-eating scene. You knew they had to do that at some point. I'm glad he did it quickly and didn't make an arc based on it.

It's the most brilliant and innovative book on the market IMO. For me, it's hard to argue that this isn't the best book on the market. The singles read great and each issue is just absolutely excellent - entertaining, funny, sometimes a bit touching. With maybe the exception of #4 (the outer space issue), I don't think I've ever come away not feeling completely entertained and I'm sure that part will make sense in the end (I haven't read #15 yet).

It's a toss-up for me between this book and TWD and Invincible every month, but on average, this is the book that entertains me the most. The story doesn't necessarily stick with me as much as the others, but it's definitely the most entertaining.
I agree. Until I read the "Rose Red" arc in Fables, that book had fallen behind Chew and Walking Dead to become # 3, but Witches/Rose and the current 2-part "battle with Dark" story, have vaulted Fables back to # 1. For it's first year, Chew was the best thing on the market. Being second to Fables is nothing to be ashamed of and if it weren't for the developments in Fables, Chew would still be # 1. It probably will bounce back and forth for the next 45 issues, too. Just a damn fine series that I look forward to every month. Intelligently written, well drawn and HIGHLY entertaining. Can you really ask for more than that?

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:

I agree. Until I read the "Rose Red" arc in Fables, that book had fallen behind Chew and Walking Dead to become # 3, but Witches/Rose and the current 2-part "battle with Dark" story, have vaulted Fables back to # 1. For it's first year, Chew was the best thing on the market. Being second to Fables is nothing to be ashamed of and if it weren't for the developments in Fables, Chew would still be # 1. It probably will bounce back and forth for the next 45 issues, too. Just a damn fine series that I look forward to every month. Intelligently written, well drawn and HIGHLY entertaining. Can you really ask for more than that?
I'm with you. Fables is still the best book out there but Invincible and Chew are always close behind. I fell off with Walking Dead a while ago though.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:

I'm with you. Fables is still the best book out there but Invincible and Chew are always close behind. I fell off with Walking Dead a while ago though.
Walking Dead has had its ups and downs but as a whole, among the dozen or so books I read, it's at # 3. I've not read Invincible, although I tried and didn't care for the first issue, which I hear is not indicative of the overall series. Might give it another shot one day. Fables, though...# 99 has me pumped and # 100...sure, it's about 3 weeks late, which has never happened before but at 100 pages in length? It's gonna be epic and just GREAT. I can feel it in my bones.

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

xodacia81 wrote:

I've only read the first issue, because I got it free at the time. Chucked it in the recycle bin. Not saying it was garbage, just didn't hold interest.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

I've only read the first issue, because I got it free at the time. Chucked it in the recycle bin. Not saying it was garbage, just didn't hold interest.
It definitely doesn't appeal to everyone.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I have just started Ghost vol. 2. I just finished the second arc. It is really good. Lot of action and tons of character development and backstory. Some of the art is cheesecake, but the story is not. It just seems that all the chicks are in danger off toppling over due to gravity.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:I have just started Ghost vol. 2. I just finished the second arc. It is really good. Lot of action and tons of character development and backstory. Some of the art is cheesecake, but the story is not. It just seems that all the chicks are in danger off toppling over due to gravity.
The art gets even better as the series goes along. I do want to ask, though...what do you think of the "changes" they made to the central concept of Elisa?

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:I have just started Ghost vol. 2. I just finished the second arc. It is really good. Lot of action and tons of character development and backstory. Some of the art is cheesecake, but the story is not. It just seems that all the chicks are in danger off toppling over due to gravity.
The art gets even better as the series goes along. I do want to ask, though...what do you think of the "changes" they made to the central concept of Elisa?
Just getting to them. I just started #11.

So far so good.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Just getting to them. I just started #11.

So far so good.
The whole idea that her nature isn't quite as one would think was, I think, a brilliant concept that fit in quite well with what came before. 11 & 12, btw, are extraordinarily well written and illustrated.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

Hope it wasn't a first print, you'd be regretting that now.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
OmenSpirits.com wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

For real :o

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Unity! :thumb:

Finished Psi-Lords. Is it time for another secret confession?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

dave wrote:Unity! :thumb:

Finished Psi-Lords. Is it time for another secret confession?
You tasteless *SQUEE*!

:P

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:
OmenSpirits.com wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

For real :o
:?

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

OmenSpirits.com wrote: :?
If it's a first print, it sells for $100. 2 copies just sold for $150 and $175 too.