What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

JCVaughn wrote:Stan Lee's Soldier Zero #1 & 2
Stan Lee's The Traveler #1
How were these? I'd planned on getting them but it was before my financial situation changed and I cut back quite alot (too much for my liking). Who were the teams on these two?

HaloReach2010
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by HaloReach2010 »

Currently reading Vampirella from Dynamite Entertainment, new ongoing series. She is no longer the scantily clad vamp, her new costume reminds me of the new Wonder Woman look.....not sure if I like it yet, but was a good read, plenty of blood and action.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

HaloReach2010 wrote:Currently reading Vampirella from Dynamite Entertainment, new ongoing series. She is no longer the scantily clad vamp, her new costume reminds me of the new Wonder Woman look.....not sure if I like it yet, but was a good read, plenty of blood and action.
So Vampirella is now pointless?

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
HaloReach2010 wrote:Currently reading Vampirella from Dynamite Entertainment, new ongoing series. She is no longer the scantily clad vamp, her new costume reminds me of the new Wonder Woman look.....not sure if I like it yet, but was a good read, plenty of blood and action.
Fixed that for ya :thumb:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Jersen wrote:Just got caught up on all my current stuff. I've got a pretty light next couple of weeks in terms of my pull list--in fact, the only book I've got coming out this week is the new issue of RASL--so I'm gonna work on finishing Michio Kaku's Physics of the Impossible and maybe get started on a book I bought this summer called Modernism: The Lure of Heresy. The modern era has always been one of my favorites in terms of artistic movements, particularly in literature.
I like Michio Kaku. He's got a quirky presentation that a lot of people like. He does tend to go onto shows that spend a lot of time on junk science, like Coast to Coast AM with George Noory, and talk about real science which in some ways tarnishes real bleeding edge physics.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

ian_house wrote:
How were these? I'd planned on getting them but it was before my financial situation changed and I cut back quite alot (too much for my liking). Who were the teams on these two?
I am not liking Soldier Zero. It really feels like a rip off of Green Lantern to me.

I am quite enjoying the Travelever, though. Maybe because it's written by Mark Waid.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

You should see the very serious reaction some of the people on the Dynamite boards are having to Vampirella's new costume. They take her costume very seriously.

The new Vampirella is written by Eric Trautmann who did a lot of writing on Red Sonja (he even owns the IP of Red Sonja) and you can tell a lot of similarities.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Chiclo wrote:
ian_house wrote:
I am not liking Soldier Zero. It really feels like a rip off of Green Lantern to me.

I am quite enjoying the Travelever, though. Maybe because it's written by Mark Waid.
The Waid one interested me most just because he was writing.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote:Got my 3 Alan Moore Superman comics back and couldn't leave them alone so they jumped straight to the top of the read pile. Not sure I can say alot that hasn't already been said.

Anyone else read these recently?
I read them recently. Not my cup of tea. I've liked very few Superman stories.

I got a copy of V for Vendetta that I plan to read soon.

One of my favorites --- enjoy! And it definitely ends better than the movie....

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Chiclo wrote: You should see the very serious reaction some of the people on the Dynamite boards are having to Vampirella's new costume. They take her costume very seriously.
Am I correct in assuming that they are upset with the change?Or is this a positive reaction?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

dave wrote:
Chiclo wrote: You should see the very serious reaction some of the people on the Dynamite boards are having to Vampirella's new costume. They take her costume very seriously.
Am I correct in assuming that they are upset with the change?Or is this a positive reaction?
You are correct. When Dynamite landed the Vampirella license, several Vampirella enthusiasts began posting at the Dynamite boards (harder than it sounds, they are paranoid as hell about spam and make it very hard for new users to get validated and start posting). Several of these new people cried out for blood as soon as it was announced that Vampirella would not be in her slut suit. Eric Trautmann tried to explain that there was a story-relevant reason why she wasn't in the outfit which only angered them. For the last couple of months, they have been posting pictures of women in Vampirella costumes in protest.

This board and the Dynamite board are the only two comic related boards I post at.

JCVaughn
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by JCVaughn »

ian_house wrote:
I really like both of them so far. Paul Cornell (writer on SZ) seems like he has a good story in mind and I've enjoyed the first two issues quite a bit. I like the pacing and the tone of the story, and they've got a lot of different directions to go.

The first issue of The Traveler didn't grab me to the extent that Mark Waid does on average, but I' learned long ago to trust the guy to deliver. I wasn't all that crazy about the first issue of Irredeemable either, and I love that series. Going back to at least "The Return of Barry Allen" storyline in Flash all those years ago, Waid just about always delivers.

Very solid storytelling in both. Nice art. Nothing mind-blowing, but really enjoyable.

HaloReach2010

Post by HaloReach2010 »

Chiclo wrote:
You should see the very serious reaction some of the people on the Dynamite boards are having to Vampirella's new costume. They take her costume very seriously.

The new Vampirella is written by Eric Trautmann who did a lot of writing on Red Sonja (he even owns the IP of Red Sonja) and you can tell a lot of similarities.
My LCS guy mentioned that as well....he didnt seem to like it much.

:?

I'll stay onboard for a bit....the wife enjoyed the book, and added it to her pull. :thumb:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:
FTFY :thumb:
FTFY

-slym

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

just picked up batman digital justice very strange unique read

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Jersen »

superman-prime wrote:just picked up batman digital justice very strange unique read
Oh man! I remember seeing ads for that graphic novel all over the place when I was a little kid. I've always wanted to read it; is it worth the trouble to pick up?

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

it was for a buck very retro :thumb:

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I have a copy of it. The computer graphics are VERY dated. And I don't recall the story being anything spectacular. It's been a few years since I read it, but if I recall correctly, it's about the "return" of a Batman (and a female Robin sidekick) set in a "Max Headroom" style future.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

thats it nothing special just a nice piece of history

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Batman: digital justice actually helped me get interviewed on local tv news when it was new. :clap:

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

just started on frank millers robocop run. Pretty good so far

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

robb77 wrote:just started on frank millers robocop run. Pretty good so far
Goodness all the way through! :thumb:

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Magneto Testament HC.

Testament is a story about Magneto when he was a child. He and his family were subject to the Nazi persecution. It's a tale of family and struggle with a bit of love as well. There was no mention of mutants and there was only one spot in the book where Magneto's ability was even hinted at.

I'm enjoying these types of super hero stories moreso than most regular superhero books nowadays. Stuff like this, Submariner: The Depths and Silver Surfer: Requiem often end up being more rewarding reads than some mindless mutant battle.

The hardcover is loaded with extras about the Nazi era which I still need to read through.

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

I really enjoyed that book as well. It's daring to have a mutant super hero book sans the super abilities imo. Then I had my sons read it and they said, "This is stupid! This isn't even about the X-men."

They're young yet!

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

dave wrote:I really enjoyed that book as well. It's daring to have a mutant super hero book sans the super abilities imo. Then I had my sons read it and they said, "This is stupid! This isn't even about the X-men."

They're young yet!
:lol:

Yeah, it's definitely geared toward an older audience. I think they may appreciate it when they are in high school and learn about the Holocaust (if they haven't wiped any mention of it from today's liberal text books :mad: ).