What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

My fiance's enjoying them ... plus they've gotta be good if so many of you are recommending them.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
400yrs wrote:Yeah, Kirkman has talked about going to 200 and onward. That's a pretty big investment for something you aren't going to read for a while.
How long until you think the 2nd compendium comes out?
If it's another 48 volume book, it's gonna be sometime past # 96. The issue this month is # 80. Therefore, given that the last compendium came out about the time # 60 was released-or was it sooner?-then my guess is it's gonna be 2+ years until we see the next GIANT volume.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:
400yrs wrote:Yeah, Kirkman has talked about going to 200 and onward. That's a pretty big investment for something you aren't going to read for a while.
How long until you think the 2nd compendium comes out?
If it's another 48 volume book, it's gonna be sometime past # 96. The issue this month is # 80. Therefore, given that the last compendium came out about the time # 60 was released-or was it sooner?-then my guess is it's gonna be 2+ years until we see the next GIANT volume.
Agree. I know x-o matic was waiting for the Omnis (24 issues each). I don't think I could even wait 6-7 months for the trade which is why I still get the singles in addition to the HCs.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

Rai #2-5
Unity
SpiderWoman #1-7
Star Wars: Blood Ties 1-4

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Last weeks stuff:

Flash 8 - A retcon of Reverse Flash/Zoom/Thawne's history presented in a very interesting way. Excellent use of time travel as a narrative device but I'll be much happier when Manapul is back next month. I've not liked Kolins recent stuff.

The Dark Night 1 - Meh. In the lovely new period of happy Bruce Finch presents a wanna be Year One, Dark Night gritty version. It seems alright but it's ruddy unoriginal and the voice of narrative is poor. Be interested to hear others opinions.

Detective 872 - Also not to sure about this run. All of the comic sites are gushing over it but I remain unimpressed.

At the mo, Batman Inc. is the only Batman series appealing to me. There are too many fill in writers between runs. Batman and Batman and Robin should be ace once the fill-ins are done and hopefully TEC will pick up. I've not got much hope for The Dark Night.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Pedro and Me by Judd Winick

A re-telling of the story of Pedro from Real World Season 3 who died of AIDS. Judd Winick was one of the roommates. If you like slice of life comics, this is worth a read. I was able to find my copy for like $4 shipped on ebay.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

ian_house wrote:The Dark Night 1 - Meh. In the lovely new period of happy Bruce Finch presents a wanna be Year One, Dark Night gritty version. It seems alright but it's ruddy unoriginal and the voice of narrative is poor. Be interested to hear others opinions.
I bought this issue right after it came out and rushed home to read it ASAP. Seeing as how Finch is a new writer on this character, I am willing to let him spread his wings a bit but I enjoyed the issue. But not for reasons one might think... I was happy that Bruce is back being Batman again. I have been reading the other Bat-titles out of honoring the cowl and knowing that Grayson is only transient, so just biding my time until Bruce returns. As how this series is supposed to be dealing with the more supernatural aspect of the Bat-verse, I will be interest to see where this goes.

I noticed that Williams is inking Finch's pencils... I don't like it as Williams has inked Jim Lee's work and Batman so this all looks more like Jim Lee drawing Batman than anything else to me.

I do look forward to reading Batman: Europa coming out (I think) this month and drawn by Jim Lee. I noticed the Joker on the cover so that is also something to look forward to.

But Batman: The Dark Knight ????

Meh...

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Jersen »

I've got about a full past month's worth of books from my pull list to catch up on, but I don't want to read them until I get caught up with my re-read of Proof from the beginning. I'm only about 7 issues in, but my weekend is Sunday and Monday, so I plan on reading most or all of it in the next couple of days.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Jersen wrote:I've got about a full past month's worth of books from my pull list to catch up on, but I don't want to read them until I get caught up with my re-read of Proof from the beginning. I'm only about 7 issues in, but my weekend is Sunday and Monday, so I plan on reading most or all of it in the next couple of days.
Cool. I plan to re-read Proof probably after I get caught up on Fables. I think the Julia arc and the last bunch of issues are probably going to read better in a group than they did as singles.

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

just read issue 1-25 astonishing wolfman. All in all a pretty good read now im going to start on invincible

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Invincible 76:

The next bunch of issues should be brutal and awesome.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:
Jersen wrote:I've got about a full past month's worth of books from my pull list to catch up on, but I don't want to read them until I get caught up with my re-read of Proof from the beginning. I'm only about 7 issues in, but my weekend is Sunday and Monday, so I plan on reading most or all of it in the next couple of days.
Cool. I plan to re-read Proof probably after I get caught up on Fables. I think the Julia arc and the last bunch of issues are probably going to read better in a group than they did as singles.
I saw a bunch of Proof trades yesterday and was sorely tempted to pick them up.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

robb77 wrote:All in all a pretty good read now im going to start on invincible
I read the first issue a week ago... never read it before and it seemed pretty good. Might be a good time to get caught up but I am so far way behind the power curve and can't seem to even get up to date on the regular Batman.

I read Halycon #1 and #2 last night... liked it. Can't wait for it to flesh itself out.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Just read the 1st chapter of "Justice League-Cry for Justice" and...that's a lot of information to be thrown at an audience all at once. Having read Final Crisis, I wasn't lost but I can't imagine this ever acting as a jumping on point for new readers.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

xodacia81 wrote:Just read the 1st chapter of "Justice League-Cry for Justice" and...that's a lot of information to be thrown at an audience all at once. Having read Final Crisis, I wasn't lost but I can't imagine this ever acting as a jumping on point for new readers.
Just so hard to do a jumping on point' IMO nowadays.
Marvel & DC are not good at this.

:|

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Draco wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:Just read the 1st chapter of "Justice League-Cry for Justice" and...that's a lot of information to be thrown at an audience all at once. Having read Final Crisis, I wasn't lost but I can't imagine this ever acting as a jumping on point for new readers.

Good point... but what 'are' they good at ?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Knightt wrote:
Draco wrote:

*SQUEE* off anyone who wasn't already a fan of comics prior to 1975?

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

xodacia81 wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Draco wrote:

:thumb: :clap: :lol:

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Knightt wrote:
ian_house wrote:The Dark Night 1 - Meh. In the lovely new period of happy Bruce Finch presents a wanna be Year One, Dark Night gritty version. It seems alright but it's ruddy unoriginal and the voice of narrative is poor. Be interested to hear others opinions.
I bought this issue right after it came out and rushed home to read it ASAP. Seeing as how Finch is a new writer on this character, I am willing to let him spread his wings a bit but I enjoyed the issue. But not for reasons one might think... I was happy that Bruce is back being Batman again. I have been reading the other Bat-titles out of honoring the cowl and knowing that Grayson is only transient, so just biding my time until Bruce returns. As how this series is supposed to be dealing with the more supernatural aspect of the Bat-verse, I will be interest to see where this goes.

I noticed that Williams is inking Finch's pencils... I don't like it as Williams has inked Jim Lee's work and Batman so this all looks more like Jim Lee drawing Batman than anything else to me.

I do look forward to reading Batman: Europa coming out (I think) this month and drawn by Jim Lee. I noticed the Joker on the cover so that is also something to look forward to.

But Batman: The Dark Knight ????

Meh...
Have you been reading Batman Inc? Thats also Bruce but a very different Bruce to The Dark Knight.

I've not heard of, or seen anything about, Batman: Europa. Sounds interesting. Who's writing?

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

xodacia81 wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Draco wrote:

I'd say older fans were probably turned off by bringing Bucky back from the dead, destroying the Spider-Marriage ... and I'm sure killing off an FF member only to bring them back a few issues later won't be too well-regarded, either.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Doorman wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Draco wrote:

I'd say older fans were probably turned off by bringing Bucky back from the dead, destroying the Spider-Marriage ... and I'm sure killing off an FF member only to bring them back a few issues later won't be too well-regarded, either.
If that was an attempt at sarcasm, it didn't work. # 1, I'm not a Marvel fan and # 2, I didn't like those developments because they betray basic elements of those characters and concepts. You don't have to be a longtime reader to dislike it and being a newer one doesn't mean you will automatically go for it, either.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

nope. no sarcasm involved ... just pointing out that Marvel's made some moves to alienate older readers ... and also some moves to alienate new readers (with all these self-involved stories that are based on 20 year old tales)

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Doorman wrote:nope. no sarcasm involved ... just pointing out that Marvel's made some moves to alienate older readers ... and also some moves to alienate new readers (with all these self-involved stories that are based on 20 year old tales)
:thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Doorman wrote:nope. no sarcasm involved ... just pointing out that Marvel's made some moves to alienate older readers ... and also some moves to alienate new readers (with all these self-involved stories that are based on 20 year old tales)
I am having a very hard time even finding something interesting to read from Marvel. DC, well all they had me at was Batman and with the recent stories, I feel like a lesbian saying, "I just want Dick out of my life."

Bring back Bruce Wayne as The Batman.

Bring back Steve Rogers as Captain America.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Knightt wrote:
I am having a very hard time even finding something interesting to read from Marvel. DC, well all they had me at was Batman and with the recent stories, I feel like a lesbian saying, "I just want Dick out of my life."

Bring back Bruce Wayne as The Batman.

Bring back Steve Rogers as Captain America.
All in time, man. All in time.