When does your comic collection become too large

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Isn't that like asking when is your penis too big??? :?

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

myron wrote:Isn't that like asking when is your penis too big??? :?
Your comic collection isn't necessarily too big if you can't fit it in a long box. However if myron jr can't fit in a long box, immediate medical attention is highly recommended.

Phantom..
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Location: The Royal Valiant Fans thank Dino and Svair for their kindness!

Post by Phantom.. »

Draco wrote:
ian_house wrote:It really depends on how much space you have. 6 months ago all I wanted was more. Now I've moved and had to send 5 boxes to my parents and the boxes I have here are overflowing and need more space.
When these next two shows are done we coming down to get monstered and ill bring you some new boxes ;)
Just when I have given up the booze :cry: maybe I could bring something else to the party ( if I am invited)

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: When does your comic collection become too large

Post by 400yrs »

IMJ wrote:
400yrs wrote:
caxiotis wrote:When do you guys think you have too many comics?
When I get that feeling of being overwhelmed and burdened by it rather than enjoying it. I'm still there, but am slowly chopping away at it.
Well said... I'm with 400 all the way.

On that note, my stuff is split between two single family homes - mine and my parents. I've got too many long boxes on that rack at my p's to want to bring them over to my place, yet my place is filling up quickly with drawer boxes.

I've been feeling for a while that I'm getting ready to be done with things myself, actually.
When I brought the half of my collection over from my parent's was when I started feeling overwhelmed and realized how much crap I had.

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

depluto wrote:The thing that gets me is when I have a series of boxes organized and then I introduce a few hundred more comics. I have to take all my *SQUEE* out of the boxes and then start over chronologically. That process is too labor intensive to do more than once every couple of years, so I have a lot of "holding boxes."

I'm getting close to giving up on staying organized. Maybe I have too many comics.
One thing that helped me out with this alot was organizing everything by publisher. I have everything broken down into the following groupings:

- DC
- Vertigo
- Marvel
- Image - Robert Kirkman and Jay Faerber books
- Image - All others
- Valiant pre-unities and variants
- Valiant - everything else
- Acclaims
- DH and Others

I do leave ample room in the boxes that I know I'll add to (stuff I still buy) like in the early Marvel boxes for ASM and Daredevil and in the Image and Vertigo boxes.

Other boxes, I'll leave a bit of room in case of impulse buys - like a few pre-unities I bought recently from wallywest and in the DC boxes for the few Flash books I have left to buy.

I find that I enjoy my collection much more organizing by publisher. I can find things easier and it's easier to trim stuff down too.

Before, I had it all alphabetically like most stores do. It was a mess and overwhelming. By organizing by publisher, you at least should have a chance to have some of your boxes organized at all times.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

That's pretty much the way I do it, but my collection is so Marvel-heavy that I run into a mess when it expands too much. With Valiant I just keep one of everything stored away under the stairs and I have a couple of long boxes for any extra golds or pre-Unity books. Same thing with Ultraverse (I've damn near filled up a box with holo covers).

And I just built an extra storage area up in my attic that can hold a few thousand more comics so maybe it's time to start buying in bulk again.

:lol:

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

depluto wrote:That's pretty much the way I do it, but my collection is so Marvel-heavy that I run into a mess when it expands too much. With Valiant I just keep one of everything stored away under the stairs and I have a couple of long boxes for any extra golds or pre-Unity books. Same thing with Ultraverse (I've damn near filled up a box with holo covers).

And I just built an extra storage area up in my attic that can hold a few thousand more comics so maybe it's time to start buying in bulk again.

The one thing i dont pick up in the UK is the bloody holo books dude, so please please please hook me up with some of my gaps my good sir :)

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

I don't understand the question.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

caxiotis wrote:I was looking at my comic collection last weekend and came to a realization that I "may" have too many comics. The funny part is that I am pretty sure that my collection has almost doubled from last year.

This is what I currently got:
14 long boxes full
4 half boxes full
a cabnet in my office overflowing with comics
an entire tall book shelf full of HC's and TPB's.

When do you guys think you have too many comics?

BTW - I am not getting rid of anything and my comic collection is sure to grow, but just curious what you guys think.
Just wanted to let everybody know that since I started this thread a couple of months ago, my collection has grown by at least three long boxes. :o

I just think it is funny that I started a thread about having too many comics and my collection just keeps growing. :D

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Well, when I have books that I've only seen once as I put them into the long boxes, that means I have too many.

So, over the past year, I have given away 2 long boxes and have been preparing to give away most of the rest. I have established a goal for my collection to keep it on the "small" side and not too large.

In the end, I want my collection to be the following:

- TMNT Vol 1 - 62 Issues, plus the 1 shots for a total of about 70 books. I have a "raw" set with #1 third print and #2 second print. I am working on 1-10 first prints in CGC 9.8. I'm shooting for #1 in at least 9.0
- TMNT Vol 4 - Full run (plus some extras), raw. Not sure if I want to get any of them graded.
- Albedo - 0 to 14 raw (minus #2) is complete. I have an Albedo 2 CGC 9.4 for my "graded" set.
- Liberty Meadows - Have a complete set. Keeping it raw.
- Valiant Universe - Keeping my Pre-Unity raw books and Pre-Unity CGC'd books.

The rest... I don't have or get enjoyment from them and they are taking up space. I don't need them. The process of selling them would take a lot of time and effort, too. I have a cousin who likes comics and I plan to give them to him.

dhudson1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: duh, X-O
Favorite writer: ditti
Favorite artist: all of them

Post by dhudson1 »

caxiotis wrote:I was looking at my comic collection last weekend and came to a realization that I "may" have too many comics. The funny part is that I am pretty sure that my collection has almost doubled from last year.

This is what I currently got:
14 long boxes full
4 half boxes full
a cabnet in my office overflowing with comics
an entire tall book shelf full of HC's and TPB's.

When do you guys think you have too many comics?

BTW - I am not getting rid of anything and my comic collection is sure to grow, but just curious what you guys think.
I do not understand the question :?

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

im thinning down with my new aquisetions

just keeing 1 of my key books in many areas but on the bright side I completed LOTDK and birds of prey but now im thinking of getting rid of a lot of duplication

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

400yrs wrote:
caxiotis wrote:When do you guys think you have too many comics?
When I get that feeling of being overwhelmed and burdened by it rather than enjoying it. I'm still there, but am slowly chopping away at it.
Me too, man. I hate filing my monthly order nowadays. I'm so disinterested in things that I might start selling my collection off too. I'm actually wondering if going through the ridiculous amount of boxes that I've got will rekindle my interest in any of the runs I've put together.

I've got so much stuff to sell or get rid of that it's outlandish, actually.