What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

sanman
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

Compared to the stories published just prior in Detective and Batman, Hush was, IMHO, very good.

By no means is Hush the best Batman work ever published (I reserve that designation for stories done by Adams and O'Neil and to a lesser degree Rogers and Austin), but it breathed new life into the Batbooks.

To each he own--I respect differing opinions--but maybe one needs to realize just how stagnant and repetitive the Batbooks had become before he or she can really appreciate the Hush run.

Personally, after Cataclysm and No Man's Land I was done with modern Batman comics and began solely focusing on my back issue runs. However, having learned that Jim Lee would be drawing Batman, I picked up the book and it has remained on my pull list since.

(And with the help of a LCS %50 off sale I was able to fill in my missing years at a considerable savings.)

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

chisumwomack wrote:Am I the only guy here who didn't really care for the Hush storyline? Sure the art was pretty, but the story itself was predictable and just seemed an excuse to jam as many villains in as possible. Plus the whole "here's an old secret friend" thing seemed contrived. Just didn't do it for me I guess.
:thumb:

i agree. i was totally unimpressed by the story. however, Lee's art was fantastic.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Cinderella: From Fabletown With Love

This was good until the last issue. I'm not sure why they thought it would be a good idea to do a bunch of issues with alot of action and then the last issue is all talky. Not something I'll re-read.

More and more, I'm thinking that I'll wait until they get the HCs up to the 10th trade and buy those. I don't think I ever want to re-read anything past there.

sanman

Post by sanman »

Doorman wrote:
chisumwomack wrote:Am I the only guy here who didn't really care for the Hush storyline? Sure the art was pretty, but the story itself was predictable and just seemed an excuse to jam as many villains in as possible. Plus the whole "here's an old secret friend" thing seemed contrived. Just didn't do it for me I guess.

i agree. i was totally unimpressed by the story. however, Lee's art was fantastic.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:Cinderella: From Fabletown With Love

This was good until the last issue. I'm not sure why they thought it would be a good idea to do a bunch of issues with alot of action and then the last issue is all talky. Not something I'll re-read.

More and more, I'm thinking that I'll wait until they get the HCs up to the 10th trade and buy those. I don't think I ever want to re-read anything past there.
I'd read the series up to the 100th issue and decide from there. I will also say that From Fabletown With Love is the first in a proposed trilogy of 6 issue series starring Cinderella. The stuff with Buffkin in Witches and the Rose Red storyline after that, are two classic stories in the history of Fables, or at least I think so.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I'm in the mood for something dark and twisted. Therefore, it's TWD again for me.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:I'm in the mood for something dark and twisted. Therefore, it's TWD again for me.
Dark and Twisted? Well, if you want something bad, read Final Crisis. Or pick up a newspaper.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

sanman wrote:Compared to the stories published just prior in Detective and Batman, Hush was, IMHO, very good.

By no means is Hush the best Batman work ever published (I reserve that designation for stories done by Adams and O'Neil and to a lesser degree Rogers and Austin), but it breathed new life into the Batbooks.

To each he own--I respect differing opinions--but maybe one needs to realize just how stagnant and repetitive the Batbooks had become before he or she can really appreciate the Hush run.

Personally, after Cataclysm and No Man's Land I was done with modern Batman comics and began solely focusing on my back issue runs. However, having learned that Jim Lee would be drawing Batman, I picked up the book and it has remained on my pull list since.

(And with the help of a LCS %50 off sale I was able to fill in my missing years at a considerable savings.)
JUST prior was Bruce Wayne: Fugitive, which I didn't think was terrible. I just read every issue of Batman post-crisis about a year ago, and again, not terribly impressed. The art was great though.

sanman

Post by sanman »

chisumwomack wrote:
sanman wrote:Compared to the stories published just prior in Detective and Batman, Hush was, IMHO, very good.

JUST prior was Bruce Wayne: Fugitive, which I didn't think was terrible. I just read every issue of Batman post-crisis about a year ago, and again, not terribly impressed. The art was great though.
I have to admit, I own the issues but have only paged through them. :oops:

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I recently purchased the entire run of and GREATLY enjoyed reading "Gotham Central". A totally different take on the Bat-verse and artwork that seemed to fit right in with the gritty tales from Gotham's (sometimes not so) Finest.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Knightt wrote:I recently purchased the entire run of and GREATLY enjoyed reading "Gotham Central". A totally different take on the Bat-verse and artwork that seemed to fit right in with the gritty tales from Gotham's (sometimes not so) Finest.
When this was being published it was in my top five comics each month.
An absolute winner that got better as the series moved on and one of the regular gems that DC seem to produce every few years that slips under the radar until it's either too late or someone up stairs has bigger ideas and so on.

I need one issue to complete my run.

I would recommend this to anyone who ever read a comic book it's that good.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

Draco wrote:
Knightt wrote:I recently purchased the entire run of and GREATLY enjoyed reading "Gotham Central". A totally different take on the Bat-verse and artwork that seemed to fit right in with the gritty tales from Gotham's (sometimes not so) Finest.
An absolute winner that got better as the series moved on and one of the regular gems that DC seem to produce every few years that slips under the radar until it's either too late or someone up stairs has bigger ideas and so on.

I have read the first 11 issues or so of GC and loved it. It was a great idea. I need to get hold of more.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

sanman wrote:
chisumwomack wrote:

I have to admit, I own the issues but have only paged through them. :oops:
Well, don't expect literature or anything, but I thought it was pretty fun. I hated the art though, I forget who did it but it was very cartoony.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

Drift wrote:
Draco wrote:

I have read the first 11 issues or so of GC and loved it. It was a great idea. I need to get hold of more.
One of my favourite series' ever.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

chisumwomack wrote:
Drift wrote:
Draco wrote:

Really high on my list of things to check out. I've got a couple of odd issues and seems great.

Drift

Post by Drift »

ian_house wrote:
chisumwomack wrote:
Drift wrote:
Draco wrote:

Really high on my list of things to check out. I've got a couple of odd issues and seems great.
I liked the idea of everyday people going up against super-powered or supervillains.

While I liked the issues of Powers I read (a similar idea) I think the fact that Gotham Central featured "favourite" villains with years of history was what got me, for example, how a group of "normals" deal with Mr. Freeze.
Basically how would you deal wth Killer Croc? What would you have to do to subdue someone with such severe psychosis like the Joker? I think it is great.

No, it was by no means literature but it was fun. As long as a comic series is fun, it has done its job as far as I am concerned. That, for me is what comics are about.

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:
chisumwomack wrote:
Drift wrote:
Draco wrote:

I liked the idea of everyday people going up against super-powered or supervillains.

While I liked the issues of Powers I read (a similar idea) I think the fact that Gotham Central featured "favourite" villains with years of history was what got me, for example, how a group of "normals" deal with Mr. Freeze.
Basically how would you deal wth Killer Croc? What would you have to do to subdue someone with such severe psychosis like the Joker? I think it is great.

No, it was by no means literature but it was fun. As long as a comic series is fun, it has done its job as far as I am concerned. That, for me is what comics are about.
sounds good will check it out

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

So funny. I just read it, and I skipped many panels in the final chapter because I knew what was being said pretty much, but there were just too many words. Not something I usually do mind you.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

dave wrote:

So funny. I just read it, and I skipped many panels in the final chapter because I knew what was being said pretty much, but there were just too many words. Not something I usually do mind you.
Same here. With some books, it's almost like they write so much because they feel the reader is stupid or they just really feel the need to over-explain.

The older I get, the less I like reading stuff like that.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Shadowland #5.

This mini by Diggle and the regular DD by Diggle sucked through and through. Diggle, you killed a 100+ issue strong streak.

Congratulations, meathead!!!

The terrible art didn't help, but spectacular art couldn't have helped this crap plot.

I have damn near a complete set of DD now, but I've taken Reborn off my pre-order after #2. I'm tired of paying money for *SQUEE*. This is the early 90s part 2. They do say that things run in 20 year cycles, don't they?

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

Just read Genesis, the "event" from DC in 98. Wow. Just....Wow. I will never *SQUEE* about Civil War, Secret Invasion, Final Crisis or Infinite Crisis again.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

chisumwomack wrote:Just read Genesis, the "event" from DC in 98. Wow. Just....Wow. I will never *SQUEE* about Civil War, Secret Invasion, Final Crisis or Infinite Crisis again.
That was around the time I bailed on DC, before getting into it again in the last year or so. I am not sure, but that COULD be what finally drove me away. Only the title seems familiar. Speaking of DC events, I did pick up a full set of Millenium for 75 cents each, recently.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Took a wander into the library at the college I work at and found a graphic novel I hadn't seen before. Sleepwalk and other stories by Adrian Tomine, a collection of issues 1-4 of Optic Nerve. I don't normally read this kinda thing, being a superhero nerd, but this seems really interesting. I've read the 1st 4 or 5 short stories and they are really excellent. He manages to fit entire stories into a few pages of only a couple of panels with a tremendous understanding of human relations. Really interesting and different stuff.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
chisumwomack wrote:Just read Genesis, the "event" from DC in 98. Wow. Just....Wow. I will never *SQUEE* about Civil War, Secret Invasion, Final Crisis or Infinite Crisis again.
That was around the time I bailed on DC, before getting into it again in the last year or so. I am not sure, but that COULD be what finally drove me away. Only the title seems familiar. Speaking of DC events, I did pick up a full set of Millenium for 75 cents each, recently.
Not read either of these events but they're definitely on my to get list, I love this crap. Although I've just took a look around the net and Genesis doesn't seem well regarded, what was the plot and what was so bad???
I read Underworld Unleashed recently and it was surprisingly good.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I remember reading Genesis but I don't remember much about it.

To be fair, the quality of comics across the board was *SQUEE* poor in the late 90s. Marvels and indys at that time were not much better. The whole era was devoid of culture all around.