What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

essential wolverine vol. 1 & 2.

really was a good book when it started. :clap:

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:essential wolverine vol. 1 & 2.

I tried reading the Miller mini recently. I couldn't force myself to get through it.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

400yrs wrote:

I tried reading the Miller mini recently. I couldn't force myself to get through it.
Are you kidding, Bub? :P

the Miller/Claremont mini?

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

dave wrote:
400yrs wrote:

Are you kidding, Bub? :P

the Miller/Claremont mini?
Yeah. Me no likey.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Dtective 873

This was the finale of Scott Snyder and Jock's 1st arc on detective and most of the comic sites are raving about it. I though it was well boring, really cliched and a bit Marvel-ish. The comics net clearly has a hard on for these two creators but I don't get it.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:Dtective 873

This was the finale of Scott Snyder and Jock's 1st arc on detective and most of the comic sites are raving about it. I though it was well boring, really cliched and a bit Marvel-ish. The comics net clearly has a hard on for these two creators but I don't get it.
The only work I've seen from Jock is Green Arrow: Year One, and I was not a fan, although that might have been the script was lousy, too.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

So I finally did it and used some B&N gift cards to get caught up with my Fables TPBs. I had not read Dark ages, the crossover, and Witches.

I finished Dark Ages. It was ok. Not great and it did not quite "feel" like a Fables story to me. It was enjoyable, but not gripping like most of the Fables stuff I have read.

The Crossover. I am at the last book (part 9) and it has been HORRIBLE! I have not enjoyed really any of it. Multiple times I wanted to put it down and not finish it. But I have to finish it, I have the next TPB and I have read the entire Fables story. I hate the entire concept of the story and even more I hate the way it has been carried out. just UGGH!!!!!!!!!! I am so hoping for a good ending, but even more I am just hoping it is over soon. It is really bad, like terrible.

What the Crossover storyline has really done is two things:

1) there is so much pressure for "witches" to be good. Three sub-par TPBs in a row is a no bueno.

2) For me, Sandman is now the best comic story I have ever read. Fables and Sandman were tied for a long time, no longer. I can't remember being so disappointed with Sandman as much as with the last 2 Fables story arcs.

I will finish the crossover today and hopefully start Witches tonight to get the terrible taste of crossover out of my mouth.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

Witches is good. I felt the same way about TGFC. It was really more of a Jack book than anything else.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:So I finally did it and used some B&N gift cards to get caught up with my Fables TPBs. I had not read Dark ages, the crossover, and Witches.

I finished Dark Ages. It was ok. Not great and it did not quite "feel" like a Fables story to me. It was enjoyable, but not gripping like most of the Fables stuff I have read.

The Crossover. I am at the last book (part 9) and it has been HORRIBLE! I have not enjoyed really any of it. Multiple times I wanted to put it down and not finish it. But I have to finish it, I have the next TPB and I have read the entire Fables story. I hate the entire concept of the story and even more I hate the way it has been carried out. just UGGH!!!!!!!!!! I am so hoping for a good ending, but even more I am just hoping it is over soon. It is really bad, like terrible.

1) there is so much pressure for "witches" to be good. Three sub-par TPBs in a row is a no bueno.

2) For me, Sandman is now the best comic story I have ever read. Fables and Sandman were tied for a long time, no longer. I can't remember being so disappointed with Sandman as much as with the last 2 Fables story arcs.

I will finish the crossover today and hopefully start Witches tonight to get the terrible taste of crossover out of my mouth.
Witches is excellent, and the Rose Red trade, which will include "The Duel" (issues 99 & 100), is even better. But, yeah, for a good 8 or 9 months, Fables kind of fell off. Do you agree with me that part of it was how difficult it would be for anything to immediately top or equal War & Pieces?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

chisumwomack wrote:Witches is good. I felt the same way about TGFC. It was really more of a Jack book than anything else.
Agreed. I've never been a huge Jack fan, and I loved the Buffkin story in Witches.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:So I finally did it and used some B&N gift cards to get caught up with my Fables TPBs. I had not read Dark ages, the crossover, and Witches.

Witches is excellent, and the Rose Red trade, which will include "The Duel" (issues 99 & 100), is even better. But, yeah, for a good 8 or 9 months, Fables kind of fell off. Do you agree with me that part of it was how difficult it would be for anything to immediately top or equal War & Pieces?
I think coming off of W&P you had to have a few issues kind of setting up the next thing. But then, it could have kicked right back up. I think after the 1st Fables TPB (which was good, but not great) Fables has been nails! W&P was for sure a major resolution to all of that, but these 2 TPBs have been well below average.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Talking of Fables I also read 101 from this week. Seems like a good new start to an arc, obviously lighter hearted than the previous arc, seems good!

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

ian_house wrote:Talking of Fables I also read 101 from this week. Seems like a good new start to an arc, obviously lighter hearted than the previous arc, seems good!
I really enjoyed 1001.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 & #2

This is pretty dang interesting. Anyone know if this is a mini or an ongoing?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 & #2

This is pretty dang interesting. Anyone know if this is a mini or an ongoing?
6 issue mini. There have been several shipping delays - they are up to issue 4 or 5.

I saw it mentioned in Previews as the first volume. I guess they are doing another one. I hope that the shipping delays aren't because of rewrites to accomodate sequels. That severely cut the quality on Irredeemable.

Either way - this is toned down a bit on language and violence but much closer to a regular Hickman book than the Fantastic Four has been. His regular stuff reads more like S.H.I.E.L.D. crossed with the Big Lebowski.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Yeah, it definitely reads closer to an Image Hickman book, but not too, too much.

I tried Pax Romana and Transhuman. Although I could appreciate them, they just weren't up my alley. They were too much Hickman, if you will.

SHIELD is toned down from that. I have 3-5 to read still. I guess I just need 6 when that comes out. :thumb:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
ian_house wrote:Talking of Fables I also read 101 from this week. Seems like a good new start to an arc, obviously lighter hearted than the previous arc, seems good!
I really enjoyed 1001.
1001 was a good book, but this week's issue, 101, was excellent. I agree with Ian about it being lighterhearted. I think that after the last two years of "Dark, DArk, DARK!", such a change is needed.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:
I really enjoyed 1001.
1001 was a good book, but this week's issue, 101, was excellent. I agree with Ian about it being lighterhearted. I think that after the last two years of "Dark, DArk, DARK!", such a change is needed.

oops. :oops:

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Starting plowing through JMS' Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme, yesterday.

So far, I've read:

Supreme Power #1-18
Doctor Spectrum #1-6
Nighthawk #1-6
Hyperion #1-5

Up next:
Squadron Supreme vol. II #1-7
Squadron Supreme: Hyperion vs Nighthawk #1-4
Ultimate Power #1-9
Squadron Supreme vol. III #1-12

This has been very good, so far. Essentially, it's a "real-world" take on the JLA.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Chew 16 - Great story continues. This is one of very few books that I really look at each art panel.

Thunderbolts 150 - This was kind of interesting. The Ghost character seems kind of neat. Is anyone reading this?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:Chew 16 - Great story continues. This is one of very few books that I really look at each art panel.

Thunderbolts 150 - This was kind of interesting. The Ghost character seems kind of neat. Is anyone reading this?
Chew # 16 has been out for a while. Any idea when # 17 is due? This is the second straight issue they've had massive delays, or it least it feels like that. Agree about the art. It's not for everyone, but I love it and I love how it matches the story better than anything on the market except maybe, and I mean maybe, Fables.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Well, I got my shipment today and there was no Chew in it. So they missed a month for sure. The letters pages in the back starts off saying that Layman is sick, travelling and behind on some scripts for other companies. Not sure if it's the writing or art that is the delay.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:Chew 16 - Great story continues. This is one of very few books that I really look at each art panel.

Hells yes I am reading Thunderbolts. I've been reading it since right around the time Osborn took over the team.

Ghost is one of the few newer Marvel characters that I find interesting. They had a kind of origin issue for him recently. Interesting stuff.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Invincible #77

wow.

Not much I can say about how amazing this comic is. The opening 3 pages are so stunning and shocking I just stared for minutes.

Only downside is I have to wait another month for #78... arrrgggghhhh :!:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

So I just finished the Fables Witches TPB. Overall grade A-. I can't give it an A, or an A+ for 3 reasons.

1) residual effects of TGFC. That was beyond horrendous.

2) I had to consider that my judgment on how good Witches was (and it was good) was partly due to how bad TGFC was. So I graded it lower (A-) than maybe it was, just to not over grade based on TGFC.

3) I wanted more at the end of the main Witches story. The end for sure leaves me wanting more, but I think there could have been a bit more of a "end".

But, that being said.....

Witches is really, really good and has just about all the things I love about Fables.

The first story, the background of the Boxers and the Box Maker (I forgot his name) was a great, great "Fables" story. Something thing that seems "old" but with a fresh new twist. I really liked this story, totally interesting characters with drama, a "realness", and unique plot and a great payoff at the end.

The main witches stories were also very good.

..............SPOILERS...............

Highlights of the books:
1) the dynamic of the switching of ruler-ship of the group of magic people (coven?) was interesting. I've always been very interested in Frau T. so it was great to learn more about her. Not sure about Ozma, but I liked the way B.W. wrote it.

2) Rose is all jacked up, and that is cool. I'm sure (I think) they are setting her up to do something amazing down the line, but again, I like how BW is handling it. So often in comics it seems that people are "called" to be the hero and they just jump up and do it. That is just not the way it is. I am super interested in the Rose plot line.

3) What the animals did to Geppeto was wonderful. I hope he gets his. Dude just can not be let off because of the compact.

4) Interesting to see what will happen with the Blue Fairy. A very interesting character considering the main characters in this particular story.

Bottom line, Witches is just what the Dr. ordered after the sub-par Dark Ages and the terrible TGFC.