What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
Elveen wrote:So I finally did it and used some B&N gift cards to get caught up with my Fables TPBs. I had not read Dark ages, the crossover, and Witches.

I finished Dark Ages. It was ok. Not great and it did not quite "feel" like a Fables story to me. It was enjoyable, but not gripping like most of the Fables stuff I have read.

The Crossover. I am at the last book (part 9) and it has been HORRIBLE! I have not enjoyed really any of it. Multiple times I wanted to put it down and not finish it. But I have to finish it, I have the next TPB and I have read the entire Fables story. I hate the entire concept of the story and even more I hate the way it has been carried out. just UGGH!!!!!!!!!! I am so hoping for a good ending, but even more I am just hoping it is over soon. It is really bad, like terrible.

What the Crossover storyline has really done is two things:

1) there is so much pressure for "witches" to be good. Three sub-par TPBs in a row is a no bueno.

2) For me, Sandman is now the best comic story I have ever read. Fables and Sandman were tied for a long time, no longer. I can't remember being so disappointed with Sandman as much as with the last 2 Fables story arcs.

I will finish the crossover today and hopefully start Witches tonight to get the terrible taste of crossover out of my mouth.

So I just finished the Fables Witches TPB. Overall grade A-. I can't give it an A, or an A+ for 3 reasons.

1) residual effects of TGFC. That was beyond horrendous.

2) I had to consider that my judgment on how good Witches was (and it was good) was partly due to how bad TGFC was. So I graded it lower (A-) than maybe it was, just to not over grade based on TGFC.

3) I wanted more at the end of the main Witches story. The end for sure leaves me wanting more, but I think there could have been a bit more of a "end".

But, that being said.....

Witches is really, really good and has just about all the things I love about Fables.

The first story, the background of the Boxers and the Box Maker (I forgot his name) was a great, great "Fables" story. Something thing that seems "old" but with a fresh new twist. I really liked this story, totally interesting characters with drama, a "realness", and unique plot and a great payoff at the end.

The main witches stories were also very good.

..............SPOILERS...............

Highlights of the books:
1) the dynamic of the switching of ruler-ship of the group of magic people (coven?) was interesting. I've always been very interested in Frau T. so it was great to learn more about her. Not sure about Ozma, but I liked the way B.W. wrote it.

2) Rose is all jacked up, and that is cool. I'm sure (I think) they are setting her up to do something amazing down the line, but again, I like how BW is handling it. So often in comics it seems that people are "called" to be the hero and they just jump up and do it. That is just not the way it is. I am super interested in the Rose plot line.

3) What the animals did to Geppeto was wonderful. I hope he gets his. Dude just can not be let off because of the compact.

4) Interesting to see what will happen with the Blue Fairy. A very interesting character considering the main characters in this particular story.

Bottom line, Witches is just what the Dr. ordered after the sub-par Dark Ages and the terrible TGFC.
Total agreement, E. I will only say that the next trade, Rose Red, which arrives in stores in April, is even better. Ok, one more thing...Buffkin is now one of my very faves.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:
Elveen wrote:So I finally did it and used some B&N gift cards to get caught up with my Fables TPBs. I had not read Dark ages, the crossover, and Witches.

I finished Dark Ages. It was ok. Not great and it did not quite "feel" like a Fables story to me. It was enjoyable, but not gripping like most of the Fables stuff I have read.

The Crossover. I am at the last book (part 9) and it has been HORRIBLE! I have not enjoyed really any of it. Multiple times I wanted to put it down and not finish it. But I have to finish it, I have the next TPB and I have read the entire Fables story. I hate the entire concept of the story and even more I hate the way it has been carried out. just UGGH!!!!!!!!!! I am so hoping for a good ending, but even more I am just hoping it is over soon. It is really bad, like terrible.

1) there is so much pressure for "witches" to be good. Three sub-par TPBs in a row is a no bueno.

2) For me, Sandman is now the best comic story I have ever read. Fables and Sandman were tied for a long time, no longer. I can't remember being so disappointed with Sandman as much as with the last 2 Fables story arcs.

I will finish the crossover today and hopefully start Witches tonight to get the terrible taste of crossover out of my mouth.

So I just finished the Fables Witches TPB. Overall grade A-. I can't give it an A, or an A+ for 3 reasons.

2) I had to consider that my judgment on how good Witches was (and it was good) was partly due to how bad TGFC was. So I graded it lower (A-) than maybe it was, just to not over grade based on TGFC.

3) I wanted more at the end of the main Witches story. The end for sure leaves me wanting more, but I think there could have been a bit more of a "end".

Witches is really, really good and has just about all the things I love about Fables.

The first story, the background of the Boxers and the Box Maker (I forgot his name) was a great, great "Fables" story. Something thing that seems "old" but with a fresh new twist. I really liked this story, totally interesting characters with drama, a "realness", and unique plot and a great payoff at the end.

Highlights of the books:
1) the dynamic of the switching of ruler-ship of the group of magic people (coven?) was interesting. I've always been very interested in Frau T. so it was great to learn more about her. Not sure about Ozma, but I liked the way B.W. wrote it.

2) Rose is all jacked up, and that is cool. I'm sure (I think) they are setting her up to do something amazing down the line, but again, I like how BW is handling it. So often in comics it seems that people are "called" to be the hero and they just jump up and do it. That is just not the way it is. I am super interested in the Rose plot line.

3) What the animals did to Geppeto was wonderful. I hope he gets his. Dude just can not be let off because of the compact.

4) Interesting to see what will happen with the Blue Fairy. A very interesting character considering the main characters in this particular story.

Bottom line, Witches is just what the Dr. ordered after the sub-par Dark Ages and the terrible TGFC.
Total agreement, E. I will only say that the next trade, Rose Red, which arrives in stores in April, is even better. Ok, one more thing...Buffkin is now one of my very faves.
:thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Highlights of the books:

Buffkin was surprisingly interesting. Most of the times books have stories like the Bufkin one, I am just waiting to get back to the main characters. Not true with this book. Also, it was very clever how BW wrote the entire story. Usually when a totally out-classed "good guy" beats a super-powered "bad guy" it is lamely done. Like the bad guy totally acts out of character. It did not go down like that. I really liked the use of the Barleycorn Girls. The Bufkin stuff was very good. Totally Fable-ish.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote:Invincible #77

wow.

Not much I can say about how amazing this comic is. The opening 3 pages are so stunning and shocking I just stared for minutes.

Only downside is I have to wait another month for #78... arrrgggghhhh :!:
:!:

No way I can wait a month for this to ship to me. I'm definitely buying a copy to read soon. This is the only book that I feel the need to read as soon as it comes out. Everything else, I can wait.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Highlights of the books:

Buffkin was surprisingly interesting. Most of the times books have stories like the Bufkin one, I am just waiting to get back to the main characters. Not true with this book. Also, it was very clever how BW wrote the entire story. Usually when a totally out-classed "good guy" beats a super-powered "bad guy" it is lamely done. Like the bad guy totally acts out of character. It did not go down like that. I really liked the use of the Barleycorn Girls. The Bufkin stuff was very good. Totally Fable-ish.
Oh yeah. I loved the interaction between the Barleycorn, Buff, Franky and The Mirror. Issue # 101 takes a look back at what is happening with them at the present. Nice little segue into what promises to be a controversial story: SUPERHEROES.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:

wow.

Not much I can say about how amazing this comic is. The opening 3 pages are so stunning and shocking I just stared for minutes.

:!:

No way I can wait a month for this to ship to me. I'm definitely buying a copy to read soon. This is the only book that I feel the need to read as soon as it comes out. Everything else, I can wait.
I'm guessing you use something like DCBS then? It's worth getting a 2nd copy of! :thumb:

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote: I'm guessing you use something like DCBS then? It's worth getting a 2nd copy of! :thumb:
Yes, dcbs.

Cool. I will.

WarAngel
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by WarAngel »

Curently:
Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero Volume #1

Upcomming:
Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero Volume #2
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter #1
Magneto #0
Dork Tower: The Tao of Igor
The H.A.R.D. Corps #8
Green Lantern #19 (Special 50th Aniversary Issue)

The upcommings are just a few I picked from a stack of comics I'd set aside to read. With the exception of BSG Season Zero.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote: I'm guessing you use something like DCBS then? It's worth getting a 2nd copy of! :thumb:
Yes, dcbs.

Cool. I will.
What happened to Guarding the Globe? I think I only ever got the 1st issue.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

WarAngel wrote:Curently:

Upcomming:
Magneto #0
The H.A.R.D. Corps #8
The upcommings are just a few I picked from a stack of comics I'd set aside to read. With the exception of BSG Season Zero.
That was not bad at all and it was a treat to see Green Lantern once again drawn by Nodell.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I'm currently reading the Dark Horse Dr. Solar HC archives. Great stuff.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote: What happened to Guarding the Globe? I think I only ever got the 1st issue.
I'd recommend just waiting until it finishes to get the rest. It's up to issue 3. #2 took 2-3 months to come out. #3 took 4 months to come out. It was out this week or last.

FrankCastleAZ
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by FrankCastleAZ »

Doorman wrote:Starting plowing through JMS' Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme, yesterday.
Such a badass series. I'm not much for Superhero books, but I really enjoyed the dark world Marvel created with this line.
Still have back issues to fill in from the standard Marvel (or is it Marvel Knights) before I finish it completely, but I've enjoyed all of Supreme Power MAX and the Nighthawk MAX miniseries.
400yrs wrote:Chew 16 - Great story continues. This is one of very few books that I really look at each art panel.
I had heard nothing but good stuff about Chew, but wasn't able to pick up the individual issues. Since I'm a traditionalist and I don't like trades, I never picked one up but.....
I met John Layman at Amazing Arizona Comicon a month ago and got my Marvel Zombies VS Army of Darkness books autoed (the ones that had Punisher in them) and I mentioned that I didn't do trades but wanted to give Chew a try. He was EXTREMELY nice, gave me a copy of issue #3 autograhed and so I ordered the first Chew TPB from DCBS on my last order.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

FrankCastleAZ wrote:
Doorman wrote:Starting plowing through JMS' Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme, yesterday.
Such a badass series. I'm not much for Superhero books, but I really enjoyed the dark world Marvel created with this line.
Still have back issues to fill in from the standard Marvel (or is it Marvel Knights) before I finish it completely, but I've enjoyed all of Supreme Power MAX and the Nighthawk MAX miniseries.
400yrs wrote:Chew 16 - Great story continues. This is one of very few books that I really look at each art panel.
I had heard nothing but good stuff about Chew, but wasn't able to pick up the individual issues. Since I'm a traditionalist and I don't like trades, I never picked one up but.....
I met John Layman at Amazing Arizona Comicon a month ago and got my Marvel Zombies VS Army of Darkness books autoed (the ones that had Punisher in them) and I mentioned that I didn't do trades but wanted to give Chew a try. He was EXTREMELY nice, gave me a copy of issue #3 autograhed and so I ordered the first Chew TPB from DCBS on my last order.
You won't be dissapointed. A really fresh and different series and VERY entertaining every issue.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
FrankCastleAZ wrote:
You won't be dissapointed. A really fresh and different series and VERY entertaining every issue.
Yep. It's just about the most entertaining series, month in and month out, currently being published and I have deep affection for it.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:
FrankCastleAZ wrote:
Yep. It's just about the most entertaining series, month in and month out, currently being published and I have deep affection for it.
I was thinking about this earlier. I consider myself a DC superhero reader mostly but my 3 favourite series month in month out are Chew, Invincible and Fables.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

a friend brought over the first 10 issues of chew ganna give it a try

WarAngel

Post by WarAngel »

xodacia81 wrote:

Upcomming:
Magneto #0
The H.A.R.D. Corps #8
That was not bad at all and it was a treat to see Green Lantern once again drawn by Nodell.
I just finished Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero Volume 1. Great story. :thumb: wouldn't have worked with the show but for comics it had a good storyline, with path that had a beginning middle and end. Characters with motivations to go outside the norm. Also some good shadowy Intelligence agency stuff going on. :twisted: Hopefully more of that in Volume 2.

As for Green Lantern #19. You seem to speak highly of it. Looks like I should read it sooner than I'd planned. Calling myself a newbie on the inner workings of comics doesn't begin to cover it. I don't really know one artist from another. I just know when I like how something's drawn. I'll have to improve on that.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

WarAngel wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

Upcomming:
Magneto #0
The H.A.R.D. Corps #8
I just finished Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero Volume 1. Great story. :thumb: wouldn't have worked with the show but for comics it had a good storyline, with path that had a beginning middle and end. Characters with motivations to go outside the norm. Also some good shadowy Intelligence agency stuff going on. :twisted: Hopefully more of that in Volume 2.

As for Green Lantern #19. You seem to speak highly of it. Looks like I should read it sooner than I'd planned. Calling myself a newbie on the inner workings of comics doesn't begin to cover it. I don't really know one artist from another. I just know when I like how something's drawn. I'll have to improve on that.
I'm a big GL fan. I like BSG, too, but haven't read the comics yet. As for being a newbie, no worries there. We all were at one time. Stick around, read a lot of books, check out different sites for background info and you'll be fine :thumb:

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote: I was thinking about this earlier. I consider myself a DC superhero reader mostly but my 3 favourite series month in month out are Chew, Invincible and Fables.
Same here except I was a Marvel. Now I'm mainly an Image with part Vertigo.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote: I was thinking about this earlier. I consider myself a DC superhero reader mostly but my 3 favourite series month in month out are Chew, Invincible and Fables.
Same here except I was a Marvel. Now I'm mainly an Image with part Vertigo.
It seems like lately the more Image I read, the more I want.

I think I am ordering somewhere around 10 Image books this month. Crazy stuff.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Chiclo wrote:

Crazy stuff indeed. You order the weird side of Image....... Brigade? WTF?

:screwy:

:wink:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Crazy stuff indeed. You order the weird side of Image....... Brigade? WTF?

:screwy:

:wink:
I order some of the other, non-Liefeldian stuff. Predictably, only one issue of Brigade shipped. :mad:

This month I am ordering Non-Player, Carbon Grey, Infinite Vacation, Morning Glories, Rat *SQUEE*, Spawn, Twilight Guardian and Echoes. I am still considering Super Dinosaur, Blue Estate and Netherworld. I am also reading Artifacts and Magdelena, neither of which have new issues solicited this month.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Chiclo wrote: This month I am ordering Non-Player, Carbon Grey, Infinite Vacation, Morning Glories, Rat *SQUEE*, Spawn, Twilight Guardian and Echoes. I am still considering Super Dinosaur, Blue Estate and Netherworld. I am also reading Artifacts and Magdelena, neither of which have new issues solicited this month.
I have the bolded ones ordered. I saw Twilight Guardian #1 in the store today and really thought about picking it up, but I saw it was a mini. I'll wait and see what people think and then pick up a trade if the word is good.

Magdelena is something I want to try one day if I can find it cheap.

I'm hoping that Super Dinosaur is good. I saw that there was an article about it on the usa today website or somewhere. Since this is Kirkman's all ages book, I'm interested to see what his ideas are to get the hands into kids. If this hobby is going to be saved, it's going to be by guys like him and Eric Powell, not the big 2.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

wow.

The solution at the end sets things up for a long time to come. I was wondering how he was going to wrap this up. I like the way it's going.

Those first few pages were awesome indeed.