Best Ipad app for comics

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
Best Ipad app for comics

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Hey guys, I just bought an Ipad 2 today and was wondering what is the best app for reading comics in the .cbr format?

tssgery
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Re: Best Ipad app for comics

Post by tssgery »

maraxusofkeld wrote:Hey guys, I just bought an Ipad 2 today and was wondering what is the best app for reading comics in the .cbr format?
I use ComicZeal and love it.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

tssgery wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:Hey guys, I just bought an Ipad 2 today and was wondering what is the best app for reading comics in the .cbr format?
I use ComicZeal and love it.
Ditto... ComicZeal is the best IMHO.. You also get a discount for buying the iPhone and iPad app together. All I need now is more storage in my iDevices.

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I do not want to put my credit card online to buy the apps, can I use one of those Itunes cards?

etos45

Post by etos45 »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I do not want to put my credit card online to buy the apps, can I use one of those Itunes cards?
Yeah. The total balance of the gift card will be applied to whatever account you first use it for, so be prepared for that. Seems kind of obvious, but I always assume those iTunes card were more like gift cards where the balance stayed on the card.

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

etos45 wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:I do not want to put my credit card online to buy the apps, can I use one of those Itunes cards?
Yeah. The total balance of the gift card will be applied to whatever account you first use it for, so be prepared for that. Seems kind of obvious, but I always assume those iTunes card were more like gift cards where the balance stayed on the card.
Wait, I am confused can you explain???

etos45

Post by etos45 »

maraxusofkeld wrote:
etos45 wrote:
Wait, I am confused can you explain???
Yes, I am the master of taking the simple and making it confusing... :D

Okay, to use an iTunes gift card you are required to create (or have) an iTunes account. Once that card is associated with that account, you can not use any of those funds on any other iTunes account. So, say you buy a $50 iTunes card and then go to use it on whatever iTunes account you have... after you submit that card to iTunes, that total $50 credit is committed to that account. For the average person this really means nothing. For me, it was a big deal. Short story is that I bought my nephew an iTunes gift card for his birthday. As luck would have it, I'm not as "hip" as I thought I was and iTunes music is only good for iPods (etc). So, I give my nephew cash as a replacement for a useless iTunes card, but the only way that I can use the funds on that card was to essentially hijack his account so that I can use it to buy apps for my iPhone.

Like I said, for the average person this doesn't matter. However, if you're like me and you view the iTunes Gift Card like any other gift card, then you might be severely inconvenienced and disappointed. That's why I wanted to throw that caveat out there.

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Thanks for the help ! I got it all set up last night and have been reading Hellblazer all day. This is going to be awesome, so many runs to read on there, I cant wait!

etos45

Post by etos45 »

maraxusofkeld wrote:Thanks for the help ! I got it all set up last night and have been reading Hellblazer all day. This is going to be awesome, so many runs to read on there, I cant wait!
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. It kind of makes me wish they offered more storage space for the price, though. If you put any decent amount of cbrs on the iPad then you won't have much room for anything else and the higher storage ones are just too expensive.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

I don't own an iPad yet, but might get the next version JUST to read my comics and manga. :thumb: Talk about convenient.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

david_albuq wrote:I don't own an iPad yet, but might get the next version JUST to read my comics and manga. :thumb: Talk about convenient.
If you wanted it just for reading comics (assuming the screen size doesn't get larger) then your best bet would probably be to buy one of the original iPads when the iPad 3 comes out. Use the savings to get the one with more storage. Then again, if you have the cash to burn, why not get the latest/greatest.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I just figured out how to create and put comics of the same kind (i.e. Captain America, Batman etc) in a comic book box. The App just got 100% better IMO.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

Knightt wrote:I just figured out how to create and put comics of the same kind (i.e. Captain America, Batman etc) in a comic book box. The App just got 100% better IMO.
Do you mean you figured out how to create a virtual box (i.e. folder) in the app so you can organize your comics? I plan on getting an iPad 3 at some point and reading comics/manga is definitely my plan.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

I SO want to do this!!!! but I dont want to shell out a bunch of cash.. :oops:

I will eventually get one... wont everyone??? but cost is a factor.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

The only way I ever see myself getting an I-Pad is if I bought one for my son as an educational tool. Those who know the full story there will know why it's important for him.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

david_albuq wrote:
Knightt wrote:I just figured out how to create and put comics of the same kind (i.e. Captain America, Batman etc) in a comic book box. The App just got 100% better IMO.
Do you mean you figured out how to create a virtual box (i.e. folder) in the app so you can organize your comics? I plan on getting an iPad 3 at some point and reading comics/manga is definitely my plan.
One your 'list' of comics on your iPad, it displays a small icon of the comic cover. When you open a comic and lets say, finish halfway through, it puts bookmark over the cover and then the next time you open the comic you are taken to the page where you left off.

If you are like me and have A LOT of comics on your iPad, the list takes a while to finger through, so I figured out how to make one of those white comic book boxes to put my chosen comics in. So at the top of the list there are now about 10 white comic book boxes. One is labled Captain America and has 28 comics in it. Another is labled Batman Comics and has 7 comics in it. Another is labled Black Terror and has 14 comics in it and so on. Then anything anything 'in my reading stack' and not in a box is just listed below there. Also, if I finish reading a comic and do not delete it from my iPad it will place the comic in a 'bag and board', letting me know I have read the comic, bagged and boarded it and placed it wherever. But I just delete comics when I am done.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

Knightt wrote:
david_albuq wrote:
One your 'list' of comics on your iPad, it displays a small icon of the comic cover. When you open a comic and lets say, finish halfway through, it puts bookmark over the cover and then the next time you open the comic you are taken to the page where you left off.

If you are like me and have A LOT of comics on your iPad, the list takes a while to finger through, so I figured out how to make one of those white comic book boxes to put my chosen comics in. So at the top of the list there are now about 10 white comic book boxes. One is labled Captain America and has 28 comics in it. Another is labled Batman Comics and has 7 comics in it. Another is labled Black Terror and has 14 comics in it and so on. Then anything anything 'in my reading stack' and not in a box is just listed below there. Also, if I finish reading a comic and do not delete it from my iPad it will place the comic in a 'bag and board', letting me know I have read the comic, bagged and boarded it and placed it wherever. But I just delete comics when I am done.
Nice! That sounds perfect to me.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Delete your comics :o

Does technology exist for comic companies to release a certain number of copies?

How does other electronic text NOT get sent around for free? I wonder if VEI can use the same tech to release a limited number of e-comics?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I finally figured out how to 'sync' my digital comics through my wireless connection. I drag/drop the comics I want to read into the ComicZeal sync program and walk away. Depending on how many comics have been moved over it can take from 30 seconds up to five minutes (i.e. the time it takes for me to walk to my bedroom, fire up my iPad and open ComicZeal). Then, within ComicZeal I go to 'more comics', find my sync connection and press it. Then the comics fall into my 'new books' "box" where I then sort them. The app had a 'slider' along the right side of the app where I select the comic and 'swipe right' into the slider. So lets say, I have 5 Ultimates comics, I slide each one into the slider, then go to my Ultimates comic box, place the slider at the bottom of the list (or wherever I need to to fall) and then slide left, dropping all books (in the order I initially placed them into the slider) into my comic box.

Done and then I am reading.

I can't say enough about the app... and NOW, you can 'rename' the comics. So, if the title has extraneous info (which used to confuse as the 'comic box titles' were very limited on how much of the title was visible) can be renamed to your preference. But with the new ability to view even the long title you don't need to do that but I like my stuff to be all tidy (OCD-ish).

The ComicZeal app even allows you to choose a higher resolution for your iPad as well, making them look outstanding while reading. They are a bit bigger in file size but worth it to me and hey, if you are saving space you can do that as well.