DC Relaunch Story Discussions ONLY (no market info or spec)

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Re: DC Relaunch Story Discussions ONLY (no market info or sp

Post by Knightt »

I am NOT a DC fan and nothing that I have read yet out of all, yes all the releases first and second week will turn me into one. In fact, what I read made me turn even harder from the line.

I AM a Batman fan and I seriously enjoyed Detective comics #1 and Batgirl #1. I just finished Detective comics #1 and personally thought it the BEST Batman story I have read in a LONG time. To being, it was Bruce Wayne in the cowl and thank God for that. The writing was MORE than up to par and dammit if the last page didn't "wow" me. I realize this is theNew 52 Batman so I give it some grace irony of the gate, I like it and will continue to get it.

Batgirl #1... not going to waste too much time on this one as I liked it, it was nice to see Barbara in the cowlette again but not one thing "wow'ed" me like in Detective comics #1.

The jury is still out on Batmite #1 or whatever the title is with the Blackman or Batmite or whatever the title is... Gonna go reread it now.

But to shift Batgears? JLA blew... Maybe I need to be more openminded but that won't happen tonight.

Bruce is back and I am good with that.

Still out of EVERYTHING that have read... New 52 ?

No big deal. :?

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Knightt wrote:I just finished Detective comics #1 and personally thought it the BEST Batman story I have read in a LONG time.
The art was really good in this book. IMO, the best art of the line so far and I doubt any of the future books can top it. I just wonder how long one dude can write and draw it and how long that will stay fresh.
ASM Crossover Home

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I just got my "week 1" books from DCBS, and pulled out Action Comics to read. Really enjoyed it. It's like a modern take on golden age superman. Sweet!

cplsimon
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by cplsimon »

Just read Suicide Squad #1 looks really cool. Book read really fast left me wanting more.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Week 2 books I picked up:

Batwoman - I don't know if this story is continuing on from the last series, but it seemed like it. The story was fine, but the strongpoint for me was the art and particularly the page layouts. This has the best page layouts I've seen since the Bob Hall Shadowman stuff. I don't think I'll keep getting this, but I will be on the lookout for other work by JH Williams. 4/5 mainly for the art / storytelling.

Resurrection Man - Abnett and Lanning and Dagnino. Good story, nice art. Reading the interview in the back with the writer and artist sealed it that I will put this on my sub for a while to at least see where it goes. The concept of Heaven and Hell fighting over a guy who keeps coming back from the dead with a new power each time is pretty cool. 4/5.

Animal Man is still the strongest with Swamp Thing and Resurrection Man right behind it. I guess I like the "dark" corner or whatever they are calling it.
ASM Crossover Home

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

I read the following DC titles and liked them all:

Green Lantern #1 - Still digging the Geoff Johns Green Lantern. Will keep reading this one
Animal Man #1 - This book blew me away. Pretty amazing story. I am going to have to read this one again (just like everybody else).
Batwoman #1 - Art is fantastic. I enjoyed the story and hope that it can keep up and be as good as the Detective arc.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:I guess I like the "dark" corner or whatever they are calling it.
That's where a lot of the books I am most interested in ended up. I am really interested in Justice League Dark and Demon Knights. <3 Madam Xanadu.

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Aside from a few of the "bright and shinys" (Superman, Wonder Woman), most of the books that look appealing to me are from the Dark series of books.

We'll see how much this holds up after I read the books.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I will be checking out Deathstroke, Frankenstein, Grifter, Superboy, Legion Lost and Mister Terrific tonight.

So far, I am underwhelmed (as someone put it)... I did not even care for Stormwatch but I will actually TRY to finish it this time because I only get so far into some of these books when I say enough is enough.

Animal Man just about didn't get past page three.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Knightt wrote:I will be checking out Deathstroke, Frankenstein, Grifter, Superboy, Legion Lost and Mister Terrific tonight.
God help you, brother. Last week was bad enough, but so far this week the only book that I'd say was worth maybe buying was Green Lantern, although I haven't read Batman & Robin, Batwoman or Resurrection Man. Suicide Squad (although, pretty predictable), Deathstroke and Superboy were moderately interesting, too, but the others were beyond bad. Mr. Terrific took an interesting character from JSA and turned him into a one-dimensional minority superhero with a chip on his shoulder. Full of heavy-handed racial overtones and terribly boring to boot.

Red Lanterns fell flat on the promise of seeing the Mad Lanterns kick *SQUEE*, and was instead a whine-fest for Atrocitus. The art in Frankenstein was nice, but a little muddy at times and I didn't feel any particular interest in the characters.

Demon Knights, Legion Lost, and Grifter? Borderline unreadable.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

When I finished reading Action Comics #1 I was left with that WTF feeling after reading my second or third issue of Neal Adams's Batman: Odssey... But not as bad.

Lol

Tim
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Knightt wrote:When I finished reading Action Comics #1 I was left with that WTF feeling after reading my second or third issue of Neal Adams's Batman: Odssey... But not as bad.

Lol
I know how you feel. I think everyone here knows I'm not buying any of the new DC books. I'm flipped through most of them at an LCS last week and I downloaded torrents of this week's books (for review purposes....make no mistake, they all were promptly deleted...I already wasted my bandwidth...no need to waste hard drive space too.. :D ).

Action Comics was one of three books that would have made me go back on my stance on the condition that they were good. (the other two being Flash and Superman). Giving up either of those titles has been a real struggle for me, seeing as how I've read Flash since 1990 and Superman & Action since 1991. Those characters have been a monthly presence in my life for the past 20 years and as silly as it sounds, I didn't know I'd be able to actually go through with dropping them.

Actually reading Action Comics #1 made dropping it a hell of a lot easier.

A positive note, though. Since dropping around 12 DC Books, I've freed up a good bit of my monthly comics budget to try new things and I have to say...Greg Rucka's Punisher series and Mark Waid's Daredevil have fast become the books that I look forward to the most every month. Ghost Rider is top notch as well. I also have been ordering IDW's new TMNT series (the first issue of which was a lot of fun), and their new Ghostbusters and Star Trek series as well. Also spending some real time digging through the "Other Publishers" category and giving some interesting looking indie titles a try.

So maybe the DC relaunch will be good for the comic industry as a whole.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I just read my copy of Greg Rucka's Punisher last night. As much as I love reading The Punisher, I picked up on the Morgan Freeman/Brad Pitt lookalikes right away and thought "Oh, another unoriginal idea in a new book". Still, I let it slide because the writing was pretty damn good. The panel with the dead child from the wedding definitely got a reaction from me.

Even with the Morgan Freeman thing, it was 200 times better than any of the DC books.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Not as much fun this week. Favourites were definitely Demon Knights and Batwoman.

The art in Batwoman was as ace as expected and it's set up for a very interesting story, the book also reminded me that Batgirl last week was utterly pointless when you have another female Bat running around Gotham.

Demon Knights was great fun. The Jason Blood/Madame Xanadu/Etrigan triangle is very funny and the rest of the team look like inspired choices. I can see Vandal Savage and Shining Knight clashing often. I'm glad I bothered with this after hating Stormwatch last week (both written by Cornell). I thought Suicide Squad would be the obvious replacement for Secret Six in my life but I think this may have more potential.

Of the rest:

Suicide Squad was good fun, something I'll stick with for now. I'm not a fan of the younger Deadshot but think this is a good team. Harley Quinn looks ace and King Shark was very funny.

Green Lantern - MEH! A new number 1 so deserved a shot. As said it is just continuing the story that was going on before the relaunch and its just as dreary. Plus the art was a little off. Definitely dropped and this time for at least 12 issues or a creative team change.

Red Lanterns was ok, I'm gunna be honest I only picked it up because I opened it in store to see a 2 page spread of Dexstar... WIN.

Mister Terrific was dissapointing as I was really looking forward to him getting his own title. Sadly the jacket is gone to be replaced by 2 tramp stamps declaring fair play. It was just an uninspired intro and pretty shoddy art.

Frankenstein was good fun and will be at least trying the next issue. I was a little suprised to see Ray Palmer also featuring in this book, doesn't seem like the most obvious place for him in the new DCU.

Batman & Robin 1 was pretty poor. The Bruce and Damian thing wasn't handled very well, and considering thats the main premise...

A dissapointing week. Nothing was as good as Animal Man or Swamp Thing. Again the dark issues were better than the rest.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

ian_house wrote:A dissapointing week. Nothing was as good as Animal Man or Swamp Thing. Again the dark issues were better than the rest.
A disappointing week?

Looks like I will be able to read more DC trash.

Yesterday I was laid off pending another company winning my work contract. IF they win, I get to work under them as a sub contractor. They dont seem very motivated to win this contract either.

Ain't life grand? :(

Oh HEY, Justice League #1 !!

Looks like I have some time to play Dead Island... Are you online, Ian ?

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Sorry about the job situation my friend.

:(

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Sorry about the job. Hope it works out.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I decided to pick up 2 more books:

Frankenstein Agent of SHADE - Lemire, Ponticelli - I enjoyed this book. It's another book that's not going to be for everyone, but it's up my alley. It's about Frankenstein working for SHADE fighting monsters. It reads as though it's going to have a very personal element to it as well. This will have to try and fill the void that PROOF left. It's going on my pull. B+

Demon Knights - Cornell, Neves, Albert - I don't have any clue as to what happened in this book. The art was nice though. I won't be continuing on with it. C-
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I've re-read Demon Knights #1 and Resurrection Man #1. I've decided against sticking with Resurrection Man and I still don't really get Demon Knights. I'm sure if you liked D&D, you will like this. I never did.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

What week 3 books are you all looking forward to?

Me? Batman and I'm likely to check out Wonder Woman.
ASM Crossover Home

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

400yrs wrote:and I'm likely to check out Wonder Woman.
Hello, my name is Knightt.

HELLO KNIGHTT !!

And Ive been checking out Wonder Woman for years.

{applause}

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

400yrs wrote:What week 3 books are you all looking forward to ?
Almost any Bat-Title (except Batman and Robin because I would gladly strangle Damien with my own intestines) and I will 'try' to read Batwoman. I say try because I am very much against making a person sexual preference any kind of big deal in comics, movies, or whatever.

Keep your weirdness to yourself.

So... You're gay. So what. Don't want to see it, dont want to read about it, don't want to even know about it. Go fight crime.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Very few this week, it's odd but the the list of this weeks releases looks nearly all superhero and could easily have been an old DC line up. I'm checking out Batman, Blue Beetle and Nightwing I'd imagine.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Knightt wrote:
400yrs wrote:What week 3 books are you all looking forward to ?
Almost any Bat-Title (except Batman and Robin because I would gladly strangle Damien with my own intestines) and I will 'try' to read Batwoman. I say try because I am very much against making a person sexual preference any kind of big deal in comics, movies, or whatever.

Keep your weirdness to yourself.

So... You're gay. So what. Don't want to see it, dont want to read about it, don't want to even know about it. Go fight crime.

Batwoman as a lesbian is the ONLY reason why I was even I remotely tempeted to even considering buying the book.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Yeah, that has no bearing on whether I would buy a comic book or not. Batwoman being a lez is about as relevant to a comic book as oh lets say, Batman being a member of the 'book of the month club'.

I don't think that Batwoman's sexuality or anything on that topic that could be expressed in a comic book could even remotely satisfy my interest beyond what I could find in a google search of 'women on women'.