What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

Today I got the first four issues of Fear Itself (even after selling my first copy of #1 to my friend Knightt...lol).

It is a LOT better than I thought it would be. So far has been very enjoyable!

I also got the newest tie-ins to Flashpoint, and those books are also proving to be much more enjoyable than last month :)

Finally, Green Lantern 67 (final issue before reboot), and the conclusion of "War of the Green Lanterns."

I read it...but am not going to spoil it in any way (other than agreeing with XO in the above post...lol)

Johnseye
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: I think it was 1991
Favorite title: Rai

Post by Johnseye »

The problem I have with these series, Flashpoint and Fear Itself, is that if you don't read all the tie-ins you really miss out on a lot. You know it's designed to make you want to buy the other titles. The stories seem slim without the tie-ins and it leaves you wanting to know what happened.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:War of the Green Lanterns # 10. Ok, no spoilers. Instead, allow me to say.. *SQUEE* the Guardians. Now, where is Aftermath # 1? For that matter where search for swamp thing?
Utter rubbish. I had enjoyed most of this run and sadly it was the 1st book I read last night and the last. Thats me off GL at least now.

Johns writing was so weak here and regardless of how DC are making out GL is going through a soft reboot here or at least retreading the origin without having to do everything that comes after.

Send me a PM xo if you wanna discuss this more, don't wanna be spoiling it for anyone.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Doorman wrote:X-Factor 102-131

This was a real volatile time for the team.

The members went from

Havok, Polaris, Wolfsbane, Quicksilver, Strong Guy and Multiple Man, (although he died in 100) to

Polaris, Forge, Wildchild, Sabretooth, Mystique and Shard.

The story elements went through a lot of transitions but have finally settled upon a real conspiracy-laden book where there's no trust and everything is suspect. The Peter David run preceding this was excellent .... the transitional period was near-directionless and kind of boring but this new spin on the title is fun ... and Matsuda's art is incredibly dynamic and cool-looking!
I dug both line-ups but the transition between the two was a little weak in the writing department.

I especially love any X-Men lineup that includes Sabretooth and Mystique at the same time. (adjectiveless) X-Men had the S&M from about 188 to 200 and it was a really cool team then too.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

Reading Infinity Inc. at the moment.

Really cool series. I like the way the group dynamic works and the fact that some of the members just do not seem to get on.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Drift wrote:Reading Infinity Inc. at the moment.

Really cool series. I like the way the group dynamic works and the fact that some of the members just do not seem to get on.
Which version?

Drift

Post by Drift »

ian_house wrote:
Drift wrote:Reading Infinity Inc. at the moment.

Which version?
1980s Earth 2 JSA offspring

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

I got through a few trades. Worst to best:

Formerly Known as the Justice League - Disappointing. It read like Giffen and DeMatteis just passed pages back and forth and wrote the mini in this manner. If I was big time into DC I might've understood some of the jokes more.

The Goon vol 2 collecting the early DH regular series - This was pretty good, but not my kind of story. I did enjoy reading this moreso as a trade rather than as singles as I tried in the past

The Archie Wedding - Cute, but not something I'd read again. It goes one way and then the other and at the end, you are right back at the beginning.

Elektra: The Hand - This was surprisingly good. Elektra was only in the first and last few pages. It was about the formation of The Hand and it involved a love story.

Li'l Depressed Boy vol 1 - She is Staggering - I really enjoyed this one. It kind of hit right at my age bracket and past interests - music, video games, girls, concerts, etc.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:Li'l Depressed Boy vol 1 - She is Staggering - I really enjoyed this one. It kind of hit right at my age bracket and past interests - music, video games, girls, concerts, etc.
The jackass that writes LDB lives in Amarillo and the cool kids at the LCS have a somewhat antagonistic relationship with him.

My friend Jim proved he was all talk when he wouldn't actually take a swing at him that time in Lubbock. That would have been fun.

I read the first issue and I couldn't get into it. Glad you like it, though.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Chiclo wrote:
400yrs wrote:Li'l Depressed Boy vol 1 - She is Staggering - I really enjoyed this one. It kind of hit right at my age bracket and past interests - music, video games, girls, concerts, etc.
The jackass that writes LDB lives in Amarillo and the cool kids at the LCS have a somewhat antagonistic relationship with him.

My friend Jim proved he was all talk when he wouldn't actually take a swing at him that time in Lubbock. That would have been fun.

Why is he a jackass and what is he all talk about? :?

Maybe he was the bigger man by not swinging at a dweeb. :?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

400yrs wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

That's Texas for you. :lol:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

He stiffed the owner of the LCS to the tune of three grand.

Jim was being a bigger man by not swinging at the dweeb. That was the all talk - Jim kept saying that if S. Steven Struble was there he was going to jump across a table and choke him and he never did, thus he is all talk.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

3 Grand in comics or did he guy spot him cash or something?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:3 Grand in comics or did he guy spot him cash or something?
I do not know the details of the dispute. I didn't ask.

I am quite certain that Ed would not loan him money. I know Ed well enough to know he wouldn't do that.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

There was a dispute with the owner of a local store and a fairly big-name artist. It was over a paint chip on a rental car. People will fight over anything.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I read the first 3-4 stories in The Best of Will Eisner's The Spirit. It's impressive that these stories were written in the 40s, but there's really no reason for me to keep reading these. I enjoyed his socio-political stories more and they are still more relevant than super hero / noirish stuff.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

ian_house wrote:Huge week for comics for me. Nice to be able to pick up a real stack again and got five grab bags for a fiver too.

New Issues:
Booster Gold #45 (2nd) - Missed 1st print
Booster Gold #46
Black Panther #521
Green Lantern #67
Green Lantern Corps #61
Birds of Prey #14
Citizen Cold (Flashpoint) #2
DC Comics presents Batman: Gotham Noir (really looking forward to this!)
Well out of all of these Black Panther was the only one worth reading (apart from Gotham Noir which I haven't had a chance to read yet, it's a big one).

DC have really dropped standards on the old universe, probably to get the new universe ready.

In particular the Green Lantern stuff was appalling and Booster Gold #46 should never have been allowed to be published. The art for BG#46 changes halfway through with the new artist clearly not having seen the previous pages. Boosters costume in the second half is his new costume which shouldn't be in existence at the moment.

Sadly all this is doing is turning me more and more against DC. Green Lantern is now dropped. All the Bat books are gone. Eugh.

So guys I'm currently getting Black Panther and Daredevil from Marvel which other books would you recommend? I don't want to drop right into the middle of huge sagas or interlocked books if possible. Was the new Cap series 1st issue any good?

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Morning Glories #10. This one was a WTF issue.

I'm going to keep on reading this series, but I'm switching to trades, but prefer to hold out for HCs.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

I'm completely done buying floppies, but do buy tpbs and hc's. I'm done with DC except for Fables (unless I hear something spectacular about the new GL or one of the new series). I didn't order any comics from DCBS this month, the first time that's happened in years.

So the tpbs that I'm reading (when they come out) are:

Marvel:
-Incredible Hulks
-Thunderbolts (way cool book)
-Thor
-any Marvel cosmic book like Annihilators

Vertigo:
-Fables

Indie:
-Hellboy
-BPRD
-Invincible
-Walking Dead
Last edited by Lightning Strike on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:49:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Doorman wrote:As much as I was enjoying Simonson's run on X-Factor, Peter David's new direction is even better!

I get the feeling this guy could even make DC characters interesting :lol:

His new direction stars Havok, Polaris, Wolfsbane, Quicksilver, Multiple Man and Strong Guy. Not a super-star in the whole bunch ... but it's still a whole lot of fun!
I know that Peter David had a somewhat popular run on Aquaman. So, not only could he make DC characters interesting, he made an interesting Aquaman story. That is quite a feat.
His 80+ issue Supergirl series is one of the greatest series that DC has ever published and his current X-Factor series is one of the best comics that Marvel has ever published.
PAD is one of my favorite writers of all-time. I never collected the Hulk until he started his long run on it and loved it. I then read his X-Factor, Aquaman and Supergirl runs and was blown away. I now pick up anything that he writes. I may not like everything completely 100%, but I will at least give the series he writes a try just because he is writing it. He's the only writer I do that for.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

Star Wars: Knight Errant #1-5 - Real good mini. Makes me want to check out the new novel. A bit more moodier and different than J.J. Miller's KOTOR run.

Sergio Aragones' Funnies #1 - Awesome. Sergio should move Groo into Bongo.

Star Wars: Jedi/Dark Side #3 - Not as much QuiGonJinn action in this issue.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Daredevil #1. This was really, really good. It's nice to see a light side to the character after being dragged through hell. Waid and Rivera nailed it.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

400yrs wrote:Daredevil #1. This was really, really good. It's nice to see a light side to the character after being dragged through hell. Waid and Rivera nailed it.
I picked this one up and really liked it. It really felt like a breath of fresh air.

I didn't read the Diggle books or shadowland. Am I missing anything?

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

caxiotis wrote:
400yrs wrote:Daredevil #1. This was really, really good. It's nice to see a light side to the character after being dragged through hell. Waid and Rivera nailed it.
I picked this one up and really liked it. It really felt like a breath of fresh air.

I didn't read the Diggle books or shadowland. Am I missing anything?
Heck no, it was utter crap. Stay away from all the Diggle stuff including Shadowland. That stuff pretty much took a crap all over everything that Bendis and Brubaker did.

Diggle strikes me as a guy with good ideas that just go astray.

Just start with this run.

I thought Waid might be the right guy to do DD since he was so good on Flash. The art fits well too.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

War of the Green Lanterns started kind of boring but it ended awesomely.

Spoilers below.

Hal got kicked out of the Green Lantern Corps and Sinestro ended up with a green ring instead of a yellow one. He seems a little wary about bending his knee to the Guardians again after being top banana in his own Corps.