What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

reading Nexus, up to issue #12, fantastic stuff! Horatio's personality has really developed since the early issues, and I love the relationship between him and Judah. Would like to see more of Dave, just seems like a cool guy, always calm and collected. Really dig "The Dude's" art, as well.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Doorman wrote:As much as I was enjoying Simonson's run on X-Factor, Peter David's new direction is even better!

I get the feeling this guy could even make DC characters interesting :lol:

His new direction stars Havok, Polaris, Wolfsbane, Quicksilver, Multiple Man and Strong Guy. Not a super-star in the whole bunch ... but it's still a whole lot of fun!
I know that Peter David had a somewhat popular run on Aquaman. So, not only could he make DC characters interesting, he made an interesting Aquaman story. That is quite a feat.
His 80+ issue Supergirl series is one of the greatest series that DC has ever published and his current X-Factor series is one of the best comics that Marvel has ever published.
PAD is one of my favorite writers of all-time. I never collected the Hulk until he started his long run on it and loved it. I then read his X-Factor, Aquaman and Supergirl runs and was blown away. I now pick up anything that he writes. I may not like everything completely 100%, but I will at least give the series he writes a try just because he is writing it. He's the only writer I do that for.
Peter David is writer that never ceases to amazes me.

I never cared for the character of Fred/Illyria in the Angel TV show I think when I started watching the show on TBS it was in season 3 or 4 so I didn't really care for her one way or the other. Even I watched the series in the correct order on DVD I still didn't really care for her.

Ii was only when Peter David wrote the Angel Spotlight: Illyria did I actually came to understand who this character was and why she was important to Angel and company on the show. When I re-watched the show I now cared for a character that before I read the comic book he wrote that I had at best had was a *meh* feeling towards a character. and at worse was "WTF is up with this annoying girl".

Peter David did make me care for a character more in one comic than Joss Whedon and his whole company of writers (and they are some great writers too) could.

Marvel is releasing The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David vol. 8 in the next few weeks I think (it might already be out) the other 7 volumes are already out and worth buying as is the 4 volumes of X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David which reprints his orginal run on that series back in the 90s.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

caxiotis wrote:Just read Captain America #1 and The Red Wing #1. I enjoyed them both.
I passed on Red Wing in preorders, but I went to a shop, flipped it and picked it up. Good read.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

still working on winter solder cap ark fantastic stuff

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

superman-prime wrote:still working on winter solder cap ark fantastic stuff
It stays really good well past issue 25.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

400yrs wrote:
superman-prime wrote:still working on winter solder cap ark fantastic stuff
It stays really good well past issue 25.
I agree. I loved the first 45 issues. Enjoy

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

Picked up Captain America and Bucky #620 today. Thought it might be good since it was written by Brubaker. Basically the story is from Bucky's perspective and is about his childhood up until he meets Cap. I thought the book was just okay. I will give it one more try, but if it does not get better I will drop the book.

Also, picked up Undying Love #4. I gotta say I am really digging this series. I think the art and story are great. Reading this was one of the highlights of my day.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

caxiotis wrote:Picked up Captain America and Bucky #620 today. Thought it might be good since it was written by Brubaker. Basically the story is from Bucky's perspective and is about his childhood up until he meets Cap. I thought the book was just okay. I will give it one more try, but if it does not get better I will drop the book.

Also, picked up Undying Love #4. I gotta say I am really digging this series. I think the art and story are great. Reading this was one of the highlights of my day.
I dropped Cap. It was fantastic for a while, but a bit after Reborn, I stopped liking it.

Is Undying Love a noirish book?

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

400yrs wrote:
caxiotis wrote:Picked up Captain America and Bucky #620 today. Thought it might be good since it was written by Brubaker. Basically the story is from Bucky's perspective and is about his childhood up until he meets Cap. I thought the book was just okay. I will give it one more try, but if it does not get better I will drop the book.

I dropped Cap. It was fantastic for a while, but a bit after Reborn, I stopped liking it.

I wouldn't call it noir. About a soldier who is in love with a female vampire. The only way to save her is to kill her maker. A lot of crazy obsticles are in their way. Setting takes place china ( I think Tokyo). The art is fantastic.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

caxiotis wrote:
400yrs wrote:

I wouldn't call it noir. About a soldier who is in love with a female vampire. The only way to save her is to kill her maker. A lot of crazy obsticles are in their way. Setting takes place china ( I think Tokyo). The art is fantastic.
Cool. I heard someone else with good comic taste speak well of it as well. If it involves vamps and love, my wife might like it too.

Added to my pre-order. I've been staying away from new stuff the last few months, but reading The Red Wing kind of has piqued my interest on what else is out there. Lil Depressed Boy was really good too.

Toefur
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Toefur »

I've been playing catch up and just finished reading Final Crisis. :oops: I'm trying to catch up on the DC events before I get the new 52 from DCBS at the end of September.
400yrs wrote:Daredevil #1. This was really, really good. It's nice to see a light side to the character after being dragged through hell. Waid and Rivera nailed it.
I've heard good things about the new Daredevil. I'll have to catch up and read it here soon once I get caught up on my DC stuff. DD was always one of my favorite Marvel characters.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Toefur wrote:I've been playing catch up and just finished reading Final Crisis. :oops: I'm trying to catch up on the DC events before I get the new 52 from DCBS at the end of September.
400yrs wrote:Daredevil #1. This was really, really good. It's nice to see a light side to the character after being dragged through hell. Waid and Rivera nailed it.
I've heard good things about the new Daredevil. I'll have to catch up and read it here soon once I get caught up on my DC stuff. DD was always one of my favorite Marvel characters.
I'm a DD fan and I've read every issue going back to the Miller run and I just don't like DD being written as "campy". I like my DD stories serious and this series will definitely not be serious the way Waid is writing it. Not saying issue #1 was horrible, just that it's not my cup of tea.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Toefur wrote:I've been playing catch up and just finished reading Final Crisis. :oops: I'm trying to catch up on the DC events before I get the new 52 from DCBS at the end of September.
I'm a DD fan and I've read every issue going back to the Miller run and I just don't like DD being written as "campy". I like my DD stories serious and this series will definitely not be serious the way Waid is writing it. Not saying issue #1 was horrible, just that it's not my cup of tea.
The first issue may not have been dark or gritty but I wouldn't call it campy. There were serious plot points addressed and it was only the 1st issue. Plus he's just come back from a truly horrible situation, it has to lighten up to start with otherwise the dark stuff will just seem mediocre.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Sorry for some reason it won't let me edit:

My only minor criticism of the 1st issue was that Daredevil is back and taking over Hells Kitchen again BUT Black Panther was watching the area for him and we see no interaction at all. It's as if they are in 2 very seperate Hells Kitchen's.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:
The first issue may not have been dark or gritty but I wouldn't call it campy. There were serious plot points addressed and it was only the 1st issue. Plus he's just come back from a truly horrible situation, it has to lighten up to start with otherwise the dark stuff will just seem mediocre.
That is exactly what happened with the Diggle run.

Yes, this is a very light version of DD. I'm okay with that. I could see how some people may end up saying that this is just like Spidey, but what they are doing with the powers make it unique. The focus seems to have turned from the terrible things that happen to Matt to his powers instead. His skillset is unique so I think it's cool to focus on it.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm reading an Axe Cop TPB I got at SDCC.

Lightning Strike

ian_house wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:
One word: Spot. Tell me he's not campy. I mean, really? Not only that, but Waid doesn't even explain in the issue how DD defeats Spot. Like I said, some DD fans will like these kinds of stories, others will not. I'm with the latter.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I read the Sinestro Corps War Volumes 1 and 2 and Tales of the Sinestro Corps HC and enjoyed the story alot but not as much as I had hoped. I think I had built it up too much in my head. And I was not impressed at all with the art and fully believe the artists drew alot of the pages with the reselling the OA as their primary focus over good storytelling.

I would recommend it for anyone who hasn't read and I would give myself a greater than 50% chance of re-reading it in the future.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

geocarr wrote:I read the Sinestro Corps War Volumes 1 and 2 and Tales of the Sinestro Corps HC and enjoyed the story alot but not as much as I had hoped. I think I had built it up too much in my head. And I was not impressed at all with the art and fully believe the artists drew alot of the pages with the reselling the OA as their primary focus over good storytelling.

I would recommend it for anyone who hasn't read and I would give myself a greater than 50% chance of re-reading it in the future.
Tales Of the Sinestro Corps was not something I will read again, but I LOVED the other volumes.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I tried a few Apple Comics recently. I picked up Fanta-Sci #9 and Mr.Fix-It #1. I was a bit disappointed in them, but the Captain Obese story by Don Lomax in Sci-Fi #9 was a lot better than I thought it would be. I have respect for the creative team on Mr. Fix-It #1, but I thought the story was very convoluted. It only ran two issues. :|

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

StarBrand wrote:I tried a few Apple Comics recently. I picked up Fanta-Sci #9 and Mr.Fix-It #1. I was a bit disappointed in them, but the Captain Obese story by Don Lomax in Sci-Fi #9 was a lot better than I thought it would be. I have respect for the creative team on Mr. Fix-It #1, but I thought the story was very convoluted. It only ran two issues. :|
Apple Comics is one that might be a little tough to put a list together for. Looking at Mile High, I know there are several books by Apple that don't show up when you do a company search. Apple took over quite a few independent titles from the 80's, I know Elfquest was published by them for a while, but no Elfquest books come up under an Apple search.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Elveen wrote:I'm reading an Axe Cop TPB I got at SDCC.
Axe Cop is hilarious! :lol: :thumb:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Burrito Boy wrote:
Elveen wrote:I'm reading an Axe Cop TPB I got at SDCC.
Axe Cop is hilarious! :lol: :thumb:
I agree. I enjoyed it. Not sure if I would read it again, but a funny read. By far, the Ask Axe Cop sections were the best.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I just finished reading the X-Flies 30 Days of Night mini.

I think they really nailed the Mulder and Scully characters. More than a few times Mulder's one liners and come backs sounded just like the TV show. I gotta admit, reading it made me jones for some O.G. X-Files.

Over all the story was middle for me, not bad, not great, maybe just below good.

Lightning Strike

Elveen wrote:I just finished reading the X-Flies 30 Days of Night mini.

I think they really nailed the Mulder and Scully characters. More than a few times Mulder's one liners and come backs sounded just like the TV show. I gotta admit, reading it made me jones for some O.G. X-Files.

Over all the story was middle for me, not bad, not great, maybe just below good.
I'm currently watching the entire show for the umpteenth time (it's my favorite show ever) and it's made me think about reading the comics.