What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
Second_Death wrote:Currently reading the Incorruptible trades with Terry Moore's Echo complete trade to soon follow. Incorruptible has not disappointed thus far but would say the early issues of Irredeemable are a slightly better read. Have heard good things about Moore's Echo series so looking forward to reading it.

Following these monthly: Irredeemable, BPRD, Dark Horse Presents, Brimstone, and Mystery Men.

Anyone reading House Of Mystery, Northlanders, or the Unwritten from Vertigo? All three look interesting and may try them.

I read Unwritten #1..... I didn't like it.

But I was just talking to a guy and he said that it started slow and then really got good. He discussed a few plots points and it seemed interesting. But I don't want to read a bunch of not so to get to the pretty good.
I just picked up the first trade for a dollar. Haven't read it yet. I will say that some very good to great series have had average introductions but then taken off after the first 4 issues or so. I had the same reaction to Triplanetary. Didn't think the first 2 issues were so hot but then got hooked.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I just started reading Dark Knight Returns. For the first time. Really. Was never much of a DC guy. I'm enjoying. Funnily enough, I've read and own Robin's death and Batman Year One. I also picked up a bunch of late X-Factors. 80-148. like twelve bucks.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

finished Bone last night, really enjoyed it.

Thinking of reading my newly completed set of the Comico run of Jonny Quest. I read the early issues when they came out and always thought it was high quality.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Invincible 82

The last page was a hell of a cliff hanger.
ASM Crossover Home

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

I'm reading the Luke Cage Thunderbolts tpbs and I just got the newest BPRD tpb in the mail, so I'm going to be reading that right after.

Lightning Strike

Brother J wrote:finished Bone last night, really enjoyed it.
:thumb:

Lightning Strike

400yrs wrote:Invincible 82

I love this book, but it stinks having to wait every six months or so for the trades to come out. :(

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Lightning Strike wrote:

I love this book, but it stinks having to wait every six months or so for the trades to come out. :(

Yep. With the recent lateness, it wouldn't surprise me if it took more like 9-12 months for a trade to come out. It's a bummer for sure.
ASM Crossover Home

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Was that from last Wednesday?!? I've missed it if it was, bugger.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers: The Complete All Hail Megatron Deluxe Hardcover. Great story, new direction that actually feels new and is as actually exciting, humans characters that aren't annoying and don't suck, great action, spectacular art, the original (or G1) Decepticons are actually frighting and it's a great jumping on for new readers. Go buy it. Now.

I Am Legion Great art, weird story.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-Century: 1910 An OK story but it seems like Moore and O'Neil are coming close to jumping the shark with this series.

The Astonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday Simply put this is the GREATEST X-Men story of all time and I don't even like the X-Men.

Jim Starlin's 'Breed vol. I: The Book of Genesis Starlin's masterpiece.

Jim Starlin's 'Breed vol. II: The Book of Ecclesiastes Starlin's masterpiece continues.

Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David vols. 1-8 The greatest Hulk stories ever!

X-Factor #220-#225 The birth of Wolfsbane's baby.

The Ghost Rider #0.1-#2 Blaze is finally free of the curse of the Ghost Rider, too bad the new Ghost Rider wants to kill him and you know what they say: Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

The Transformers #19-23 and The Transformers: Hearts of Darkness #1-4: The Prelude to Chaos is over and it's time for the main event.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Lightning Strike

Cyberstrike wrote:
Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David vols. 1-8 The greatest Hulk stories ever!

Here here!!

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote:

Nah. It came out some time in August. I think you are ok. It's the issue with Universa on the cover and Mark is talking to Cecil at the Pentagon at the end.
ASM Crossover Home

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

I just read through Moonshadow again ... wow! This is such a great read - really pushed the boundaries of what comics could achieve - the paintings are beautiful! Anyone else enjoy this?

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote:

Nah. It came out some time in August. I think you are ok. It's the issue with Universa on the cover and Mark is talking to Cecil at the Pentagon at the end.
phew! It was a great cliffhanger. Cecil is a great character.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

dave wrote:
400yrs wrote:ASM 666

If you are looking to see what is up with Spidey lately, this is a great issue. This was jam-packed full of story in 30 or so pages. There was a ton of things going on in this and it was paced great. It almost felt like reading a good issue of Invincible where things are explained and several plot lines are moved along and new ones are created. Great stuff!!
I agree. Did you read 667 though? The plot moved forward not at all. The Prelude got me into Spider Island, but 667 got me right back out.
Finally read it. I liked it. This was the popcorn fight issue. I liked the first bunch of pages with Peter and Carly - Spidery Transmitted Diseases.

Also read:

Resurrection Man #1 - I re-read this and I'm reconsidering putting it on the pull.

The Nightly News - The design work art made this one tough to get through.
ASM Crossover Home

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Road to Perdition collected.

Really really good, though those of you who don't like photo realism might be put off.

The art was great.

It was pretty different from the movie, which surprised me. Jude Law's character isn't even in it. I like both for different reasons, though I would have liked the movie far more if Daniel Craig had played the lead and Hanx had been the weakling son.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

dave wrote: I like both for different reasons, though I would have liked the movie far more if Daniel Craig had played the lead and Hanx had been the weakling son.

Did you just rip on THE Tom Hanks?!? :o

Me no comprehendo????!!!!!??!?!??!?!?!?!
ASM Crossover Home

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

400yrs wrote:
dave wrote: I like both for different reasons, though I would have liked the movie far more if Daniel Craig had played the lead and Hanx had been the weakling son.

Did you just rip on THE Tom Hanks?!? :o

Me no comprehendo????!!!!!??!?!??!?!?!?!
I hate Tom Hanks. The second he got famous, he ditched his Bosom Buddy.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

My chunk of DeFalco Ryan FFs arrived today. i read issue 371. That's the white cover issue. Johnny goes nova as a way to win a fight, and consequently starts a fire at Empire State University. Sue debuts her new costume in this issue as well. I'm getting such great value reading back issues like this, it's hard to imagine spending much on new books when I can buy runs like this and know what I'm getting. Plus it's great to be able to read runs without having to wait around for the next issue.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

StarBrand wrote:My chunk of DeFalco Ryan FFs arrived today. i read issue 371. That's the white cover issue. Johnny goes nova as a way to win a fight, and consequently starts a fire at Empire State University. Sue debuts her new costume in this issue as well. I'm getting such great value reading back issues like this, it's hard to imagine spending much on new books when I can buy runs like this and know what I'm getting. Plus it's great to be able to read runs without having to wait around for the next issue.
I hear you there! I'm all about retro-reading complete runs/series these days. And wow! was that a fun FF run. Lots of goings-on and plenty of supporting characters. It gets even more hectic around 374 or 375 when another FF team bursts back on to the scene :-D

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Doorman wrote:
StarBrand wrote:My chunk of DeFalco Ryan FFs arrived today. i read issue 371. That's the white cover issue. Johnny goes nova as a way to win a fight, and consequently starts a fire at Empire State University. Sue debuts her new costume in this issue as well. I'm getting such great value reading back issues like this, it's hard to imagine spending much on new books when I can buy runs like this and know what I'm getting. Plus it's great to be able to read runs without having to wait around for the next issue.
I hear you there! I'm all about retro-reading complete runs/series these days. And wow! was that a fun FF run. Lots of goings-on and plenty of supporting characters. It gets even more hectic around 374 or 375 when another FF team bursts back on to the scene :-D

What are the issues of the Defalco/Ryan run?
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

It's not really a diss on Tom Hanks, he was just miscast in the role. I think he took the role as a bit of challenge to himself. It just didn't seem right to see him going nuts with a tommy gun, when he never seemed to shake the fact that he was Tom Hanks.

I would have liked to have seen him play the bad guy role, I think he could do it.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

DeFalco wrote the Fantastic Four from #356 to 416 (following the Simonson run). Ryan left with #414.

Incidentally, I recently sold some books to Ryan and complimented him on this run. It's the FF run I grew up on when I started reading comics! I remember starting with #357 ... #356 was already a marked-up back issue. How dare they charge an extra quarter just 'cause it was a month old :-p

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Last night I had the pleasure of reading through 35 comics. :thumb:

First up was Warren Ellis' run on Astonishing X-Men vol. III. Not too shabby but not excellent. Bianchi's artwork in the first story arc is superb! I like that Ellis had the team call Cyclops on being douchy (he's really undergone quite a personality change in the past decade). The villains were kinda "meh". Story Arc 1 featured an army of (previously unknown) mutants from parallel Earths. Arc 2 was an army of re-animated dead mutants led by a never-before-seen villain who's harbored a grudge against the X-Men since they were first formed.

The two-issue mini-series, Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes, was a complete waste. Two issues. Four stories of parallel Earth X-Men. Nice art but totally skippable (and vastly unimportant to the main arc) story.

Then, I pulled out my complete set of H-E-R-O, which updates the quirky Dial H For Hero features from DC's silver age. This was a very neat premise that saw the HERO Dial getting passed around to different people in different arcs. The writer, Pfeifer, did an excellent job of creating many different ways people would put powers to use. And, even cooler, in the last couple arcs, he wove all the previous lead characters into one big story. A unique book that I'd certainly recommend!

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I just finished reading the Invincible Compendium. It is as good as everyone says. The thing I lke best about Kirkman is how he brings the "world outside your window" and realism to the characters lives. My absolute favorite thing about Kirkman's writing is that he doesn't overwite anything - not the story and not the characters. He flawlessly weaves back and forth between multiple long and short-term plots without frustrating the reader. Highly recommended!! :thumb: :thumb:
***Support your local farmers!***