Digital?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DantePD
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Digital?

Post by DantePD »

So, here's a question I haven't seen anyone asking. With the relaunch, will VEI be offering their books on digital distribution app like Comixology, Graphic.ly, etc? Day and date digital seems to be working out great for DC...

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Re: Digital?

Post by BruceReville »

I just can't get into digital and I have tried - tried - tried. I rather have paper in hand - heck I will volunteer to plant trees to keep comics in paper print.
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

DantePD wrote:So, here's a question I haven't seen anyone asking. With the relaunch, will VEI be offering their books on digital distribution app like Comixology, Graphic.ly, etc? Day and date digital seems to be working out great for DC...
I believe they were asked about digital at the Jeopardy/poker game and said they would.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Here is Warren's response from the OUR Questions for Valiant's Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWERS thread.

Warren Simons wrote:
iggy101us wrote:Will there be digital as well as traditional comics? If so, what is the pricing and will there be any delay in the digital release?

Any update on any of the movie options?

Thanks and looking forward to the new Valiant.
Hey Iggy, we will have news about digital comics, as well as the pricing, in the coming months. Regarding the movies, I'm sure we'll have a lot of major announcements in the coming year. A crazy amount of incredibly cool activity is happening on that front, but I am sworn to secrecy. Dinesh keeps telling me that I would be perfect for the role of Armstrong, and he's begging me to go out to Hollywood to meet the producers, but I am jammed up with publishing at the moment.

I am so happy that you are fired up for the new Valiant. When you see the character redesigns, you're going to jump out of your seat.

DantePD

Post by DantePD »

Sweet. I've switched to digital almost completely. I read fast and do night shift security work. Carrying around one iPad is SO MUCH EASIER than carrying around 30 or 40 issues of a book to read on the night shift.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

DantePD wrote:Sweet. I've switched to digital almost completely. I read fast and do night shift security work. Carrying around one iPad is SO MUCH EASIER than carrying around 30 or 40 issues of a book to read on the night shift.
It seems you are the perfect customer for digital books.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I read a good amount of digital comics on my iPad with NO problem whatsoever. Maybe this is not 'smart' but I get my hard copies in and read both the digital and hard copies. There is nothing like reading hard copies but I have to admit that when I am taking an Obama at work or away from my comics that it is nice to be able to pull up my comics on my iPad. With the new update to ComicZeal it is even MORE enjoyable to read comics on my iPad.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

I actually prefer digital nowadays. Most times, it's actually easier to read, since you can zoom in on scenes and it really makes the artwork shine. A computer monitor is bigger than a comic book page.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I might be old fashioned but I will never, ever, ever pay for a digital version of a comic if I didn't get a hard copy with it. And probably not even then.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

They include digital copies with certain DVD and Blu-ray movies, so maybe we'll see this trend with comics in the near future. Whoever buys a physical book can also download a digital copy for free or at a much reduced rate.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Daniel Jackson wrote:They include digital copies with certain DVD and Blu-ray movies, so maybe we'll see this trend with comics in the near future. Whoever buys a physical book can also download a digital copy for free or at a much reduced rate.
DC is doing this with Justice League. They offer regular print versions for $3.99 and combo pack version for $4.99 that include a print version and a code for a download.

I will not seek out comics in digital format. If the hobby leaves me in the process, I think I will be fine.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

depluto wrote:I might be old fashioned but I will never, ever, ever pay for a digital version of a comic if I didn't get a hard copy with it. And probably not even then.
That's pretty much where I am. If they give me a free digital download with comic purchase (ala Spider-Man), then sure, great. I will never pay for digital comics or pay more for a physical copy to get the digital copy. I like the convenience of digital comics, but I still want my print copy.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Chiclo wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:They include digital copies with certain DVD and Blu-ray movies, so maybe we'll see this trend with comics in the near future. Whoever buys a physical book can also download a digital copy for free or at a much reduced rate.
DC is doing this with Justice League. They offer regular print versions for $3.99 and combo pack version for $4.99 that include a print version and a code for a download.

I will not seek out comics in digital format. If the hobby leaves me in the process, I think I will be fine.
That seems a bit pricey to me. 4 bucks is already too much and bumping it up one dollar more with a digital copy, just makes it even less appealing. I think including the download for free after purchasing a hard copy would entice more customers.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

That seems a bit pricey to me. 4 bucks is already too much and bumping it up one dollar more with a digital copy, just makes it even less appealing. I think including the download for free after purchasing a hard copy would entice more customers.
I agree with thefree digital copy with hard copy purchase idea 100% !!!

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
Digital?

Post by BloodShot »

Chiclo wrote:I will not seek out comics in digital format. If the hobby leaves me in the process, I think I will be fine.
Ditto.
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Im leaning towards buying/reading digital. I received a tablet for Christmas and Im in the process of trying to figure things out. Is there a good app out there for digital books? How does this market work? Is there only one type of file that must be used but many different reader programs?

So, Id be willing to pay for a digital download directly from VALIANT. Its a great way for them to make money... no paper, no delivery, no storefront costs. The downside is that there will be less people in the store buying VALIANT.. so maybe less exposure? Not sure.

Its not like Im buying anything in stores now..havent in 4 years or so.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

BloodShot wrote:
Chiclo wrote:I will not seek out comics in digital format. If the hobby leaves me in the process, I think I will be fine.
Ditto.
I feel the same way,ill stay with buying physical copies as long as they are released.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

IanAlexavier wrote:Im leaning towards buying/reading digital. I received a tablet for Christmas and Im in the process of trying to figure things out. Is there a good app out there for digital books? How does this market work? Is there only one type of file that must be used but many different reader programs?

So, Id be willing to pay for a digital download directly from VALIANT. Its a great way for them to make money... no paper, no delivery, no storefront costs. The downside is that there will be less people in the store buying VALIANT.. so maybe less exposure? Not sure.

Tablet... What kind of tablet ?

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.

Post by IanAlexavier »

Knightt wrote:
IanAlexavier wrote:Im leaning towards buying/reading digital. I received a tablet for Christmas and Im in the process of trying to figure things out. Is there a good app out there for digital books? How does this market work? Is there only one type of file that must be used but many different reader programs?

A Coby Kyros MID1125.. Its not perfect.. but Im having fun figuring it out. Although its an Android device I cant link it to the Market.. I have to use a Appslib(rary) system.. which is limited, but Im working on it ;)

I just want to make sure I can purchase and read through the new books when they come out! :)

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

IanAlexavier wrote:
Knightt wrote:

A Coby Kyros MID1125.. Its not perfect.. but Im having fun figuring it out. Although its an Android device I cant link it to the Market.. I have to use a Appslib(rary) system.. which is limited, but Im working on it ;)

I just want to make sure I can purchase and read through the new books when they come out! :)
Have you found a comic reading app yet ? I did some checking on your device and found that this may work:

Droid Comic Viewer-
https://market.android.com/details?id=n ... .acv&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found it on this site:

http://www.cdisplay.me/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And was very sad to read that David Ayton, the author of CDisplay (which I have been using for years on my PC and Netbook) passed away years ago. I highly recommend CDisplay for any PC as this supports .cbr format comics. This the 'try before you buy' format and not compatible with Marvel and DC's comic app reader and purchasing device. Not that I care for their formats AT ALL (as they scroll in 'smart reading' from panel to panel whereas I like to get to the first page, see 80% of the page and then tap the edge of the screen to bump it down the rest of the way using the-what I consider to be THE best comics reading app for iOS-ComicZeal (which I MUST brag about - http://www.comiczealapp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; because I can drag and drop my new comics into the desktop ComicZeal Synch app on my PC and walk away to my iPad and add the new comics via Sync without ever needing to fire up iTunes or physically connect my iPad to my PC, its all wireless and SMOKING fast compared to doing it via a USB cable through iTunes).

From what I gather on your tablet, with the 10.1" screen you should easily be able to read the current comic book page of 6 5/8" x 10 ¼". I would really like to know how your comic book reading experience is working for your Coby Kyros MID1125.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

I kept thinking "Why would they name their tablet the greek word for prickly?" and then I remembered that the greek word for prickly was kentron.

Kyros means power. That makes more sense.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Chiclo wrote:I kept thinking "Why would they name their tablet the greek word for prickly?" and then I remembered that the greek word for prickly was kentron.

Do you have any form of tablet media consumption device yet, C-lo ?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:
Chiclo wrote:I kept thinking "Why would they name their tablet the greek word for prickly?" and then I remembered that the greek word for prickly was kentron.

Do you have any form of tablet media consumption device yet, C-lo ?
The wife has an iPad 2. I mostly use it for Twitter. I would be open to getting one for myself as an internet browsing appliance or media player but anything I would consider actual computing or where money potentially changes hands like with Paypal or credit card numbers, I would definitely keep with my Linux machine. The main thing that keeps me from buying one is the price - I have lost interest in buying new electronics for myself in the last few years.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.

Post by IanAlexavier »

Im getting happier with my Coby Kyros. Like I stated above, I couldnt access Market.Android.. which seems to be THEE place to go for apps.. BUT I was able to log on to Amazon.com and download some apps from there! So thats nice!

No I need to find a comic book to puchase and download a few comic books reading apps to see which one I like best!

I like the Kyros because it has a microSD card reader, a micro USB jack and also has an HDMI out. You can pick it up on Amazon for about $200 right now. There is also the MID1126, which may be a slightly better product.

You can hook this up to a keyboard or mouse as well as have it sit in some sort of stand.

Watcher
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Watcher »

Chiclo wrote:

I haven't purchased a current comic in awhile. Is that what they're going for nowadays??? Hoo-Fah