What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by 400yrs »

Doorman wrote:My wife has been enjoying this, too. She's read the first two so far....

That's awesome! I'd like to find things for my wife to read.

My wife has read the stupid Twilight HC as well as Anita Blake HCs. I got the Trueblood issues for her, but she lost interest pretty quickly (they were bad). She wouldn't be into things like SiP or anything like that. It would likely have to involve vampires and love to get her to read.

I'm awaiting receipt of my copy of Undying Love to see if that's something that she might like. I also might try to give her 110 per¢ one day. I think she'd enjoy that book.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I read Ultimate Spider-Man 160 just to see how Spider-Man "Died".

It was short and I didn't like the Bagley art. I'm convinced that Bendis, for me, is best read in trades because of the extremely decompressed writing style he uses. For someone who is supposedly a great writer, the death scenes were very quick and not as emotional as one would expect.

I don't think there's anyone out there right now who could overtake him, but Bendis is just very mediocre. It almost feels like he is either out of good ideas or he is resting on his laurels. I know he's not, but there has to be someone out there who could serve as a better architect for the Marvel Universe.
ASM Crossover Home

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

400yrs wrote:I read Ultimate Spider-Man 160 just to see how Spider-Man "Died".

It was short and I didn't like the Bagley art. I'm convinced that Bendis, for me, is best read in trades because of the extremely decompressed writing style he uses. For someone who is supposedly a great writer, the death scenes were very quick and not as emotional as one would expect.

I don't think there's anyone out there right now who could overtake him, but Bendis is just very mediocre. It almost feels like he is either out of good ideas or he is resting on his laurels. I know he's not, but there has to be someone out there who could serve as a better architect for the Marvel Universe.
The death scene may have been quick and unemotional but the funeral scene in the follow up mini-series is not. The sequence with the little girl asking Aunt May questions outside the church really tugs your heartstrings.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Elveen wrote:I'm reading a Sandman Mystery Theatre TPB, The Mist and Phantom in the Park (I think). It's Matt Wagner goodness.
:clap:

Every SMT story I've read is GREAT. This might be in my top 10 EVER.

As I was thinking about this book (any other SMT books), Wagner has a way of writing that makes the topics gritty but not necessarily dirty. The Phantom in the Fair was for sure not for kids, but it never really crossed the "line". Right up next to it, but not over. It's a credit to Wagner that he can cover adult/very mature themes but not sell out for the obvious basic shock value.

SMT = :thumb:

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Elveen wrote:
Elveen wrote:I'm reading a Sandman Mystery Theatre TPB, The Mist and Phantom in the Park (I think). It's Matt Wagner goodness.
:clap:

Every SMT story I've read is GREAT. This might be in my top 10 EVER.

As I was thinking about this book (any other SMT books), Wagner has a way of writing that makes the topics gritty but not necessarily dirty. The Phantom in the Fair was for sure not for kids, but it never really crossed the "line". Right up next to it, but not over. It's a credit to Wagner that he can cover adult/very mature themes but not sell out for the obvious basic shock value.

SMT = :thumb:

There is something wonderful about SMT for sure, ever since i read those first few issues when they were released. I have almost an entire run to sit and read soon.

:thumb:
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Draco
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

About to list a run of Uncanny X-men from 150 to 300ish on ebay and have to keep stopping to read some gems.
I started getting it on the regular with #165 the 1st Paul Smith ( not our Paul Smith :) ) and some of those issues remind me how darn cool the X-men were and how far they have fallen since with 25+ years later, with 20+ titles each month.

# 187 with the dire wraiths spilling out of Rom was great.

I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Draco wrote:About to list a run of Uncanny X-men from 150 to 300ish on ebay and have to keep stopping to read some gems.
I started getting it on the regular with #165 the 1st Paul Smith ( not our Paul Smith :) ) and some of those issues remind me how darn cool the X-men were and how far they have fallen since with 25+ years later, with 20+ titles each month.

I've got Uncanny issues starting at about 110 up into the early 300's...been piecing them together on the cheap and still have some holes in the run, but there are very good reads and I agree with that statement...seems like the x-titles are about ready to implode under their own weight...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

400yrs wrote:
My wife has read the stupid Twilight HC as well as Anita Blake HCs.
Mine enjoyed Anita Blake, as well. Gotta dig some more up for her.

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Jersen »

myron wrote:
Draco wrote:About to list a run of Uncanny X-men from 150 to 300ish on ebay and have to keep stopping to read some gems.

I've got Uncanny issues starting at about 110 up into the early 300's...been piecing them together on the cheap and still have some holes in the run, but there are very good reads and I agree with that statement...seems like the x-titles are about ready to implode under their own weight...
I regard the X-Men mythos nowadays with the same sense of density that so many people look at the DC Universe. It just seems so hard to find a good spot to break back into modern X-Men.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Please let me know how that run does on ebay. I'm likely to get rid of my set as well. The books I've re-read just haven't held up.
ASM Crossover Home

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

Well have dropped Irredeemable and Incorruptible. Read through issue 29 of Irredeemable and not impressed with the direction of this series. Irredeemable has been mostly disappointing since issue 19 which is a surprise since Waid is writing. If not for the long wait for the DK releases, would probably have dropped this series already.

Did read first 2 issues of the Vault. Pretty good and looking forward to the final issue of the mini. Definitely written with the intent to go to film but well presented regardless.

Currently monthly list with the Vault finishing it's run:

BPRD
Dark Horse Presents
Rachel Rising (at least until I've read issues 1 and 2)

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I went to the comic shop today. I was pretty excited to go. Moreso than all of last month even with the DC #1s. I was more excited because I had read some of the #1s and I went to the shop to pick up #2 issues that I know should be pretty good. This stuff is all in addition to my pre-ordered stuff which arrives next week.

Spider Island - Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #3
Aquaman #2
All Star Western #2
Guarding the Globe #6 Invincible variant cover
And I picked up an upper mid grade ASM 125 to hopefully upgrade my existing copy.
ASM Crossover Home

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

Currently reading:

Crimson Empire III #1
Bart Simpson #64

:cloud9:

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

(Copied from my posting in the "What books/runs haven't you read" thread because it's more appropriate here)

I finally finished the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run yesterday and went straight into reading Animal Man, finishing the 1st 4 issues. Overall, I found the 1st arc to be a fun read, but it seems pretty clear that Morrison was playing it pretty safe at the beginning, so I'm ready to see where he ends up taking it as the series goes on. With that being said, though, Morrison did a quality job of laying a foundation for Buddy Baker, surrounding him with a great cast of characters. I've started developing a real soft spot for Animal Man because he may be the most relatable superhero I know. He's a family man, and a devoted one, and I can't help but root for him.

I'm also interested to see how the series goes after the Morrison run, especially once it gets to Delano's time on the book. I hear people say they like his run just as much--if not better--than Morrison's.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

There are a couple of ongoing comics that I would like to officially lend the Chiclo stamp of approval.

The first is Terminator/Robocop Kill Human from Dynamite comics. The plot is basically Robocop inserts himself into the Terminator's (T-800) role in Terminator 2, saving John and Sarah Connor from the liquid metal Robert Patrick T-1000 Terminator. It is like awesome pie. One thing Dynamite does well is translating action movies into comics.

Next is Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters from IDW. It is pretty much just a kaiju free-for-all across the whole planet. The best fight so far has been Godzilla versus Mecha-Godzilla. These are quick reads and with the $3.99 cover price this might be something that most people would prefer to read in TPB.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Jersen wrote:(Copied from my posting in the "What books/runs haven't you read" thread because it's more appropriate here)

I finally finished the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run yesterday and went straight into reading Animal Man, finishing the 1st 4 issues. Overall, I found the 1st arc to be a fun read, but it seems pretty clear that Morrison was playing it pretty safe at the beginning, so I'm ready to see where he ends up taking it as the series goes on. With that being said, though, Morrison did a quality job of laying a foundation for Buddy Baker, surrounding him with a great cast of characters. I've started developing a real soft spot for Animal Man because he may be the most relatable superhero I know. He's a family man, and a devoted one, and I can't help but root for him.

I'm also interested to see how the series goes after the Morrison run, especially once it gets to Delano's time on the book. I hear people say they like his run just as much--if not better--than Morrison's.
Awesome that your reading these dude. I agree it's a mixture of playing it safe, establishing a character and more importantly a superhero status quo (so that everything that comes later is so much more of a suprise to the family man who fights crime in his spare time). My favourite issue is the one that takes place in limbo, you've got some great stuff to come dude!

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #1 (Image comics)

This was good. I finally got this in my monthly shipment. I only pre-ordered the first issue because it seemed like it could've been a bit too much like Kick *SQUEE*. It's a bit like Kick *SQUEE* in the sense that it's gory, but it's also a bit like Chew in that the art is awesome. Mix Kick *SQUEE* and Chew, and this might be what you get. There's not too much story in the first issue, but it's enough to pull me in.

ASM Crossover Home

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

Has anybody read TWD the rise of the governor? Curious if worth picking up?
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

caxiotis wrote:Has anybody read TWD the rise of the governor? Curious if worth picking up?

Good question. I was wondering the same thing.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I'm reading something that is not really my style right now.

Industrial Gothic by Ted Mckeever. (1-5 mini series)

I'm wondering if anyone has read this? It is slightly disturbing but...... there is some reason I want to finish it.

It is for sure a Vertigo book, and really out there.

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

Chiclo wrote:The first is Terminator/Robocop Kill Human from Dynamite comics. The plot is basically Robocop inserts himself into the Terminator's (T-800) role in Terminator 2, saving John and Sarah Connor from the liquid metal Robert Patrick T-1000 Terminator. It is like awesome pie. One thing Dynamite does well is translating action movies into comics.

Alot of Robocop fans really trash the series and the Dynamite run. They don't like the potty mouth version of Murphy. It's alot better than the Avatar/Frank Miller run though. I thought the current crossover has been good so far and #4 ships next week. It's one of the more fastest comics i've read. I think I read all 3 issues in under 5 minutes.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

caxiotis wrote:Has anybody read TWD the rise of the governor? Curious if worth picking up?

I saw it at a shop, but it was $25 or $30 so I passed it up.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

This book is brilliant! This is a good issue to pick up and try out if you've never read it. Seems like the best jump on spot in a while.

ASM Crossover Home

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Elveen wrote:I'm reading something that is not really my style right now.

Industrial Gothic by Ted Mckeever. (1-5 mini series)

I'm wondering if anyone has read this? It is slightly disturbing but...... there is some reason I want to finish it.

It is for sure a Vertigo book, and really out there.
have it. read it. I really dig McKeever's style.

myron
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

400yrs wrote:This book is brilliant! This is a good issue to pick up and try out if you've never read it. Seems like the best jump on spot in a while.

I just can't get by the artwork...the story would have to be damn good...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?