What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Elveen »

Elveen wrote:Been reading some hit and miss things....... some I really thought I'd like I have not even finished.

Including From Hell and something I just put down with out finishing, Frank Miller's Elektra Assassin.

I got a beat up cheap trade of this book. I've really wanted to read it for a while, but honestly, I did not like the story telling style. Not for me. I keep trying to get in to it, but I could not do it.

I did just start Mike Grell's Bond story, Permission to Die. so far so good.

The Bond read was good, actually pretty good. It "felt" like a good Bond flick.

A few other things I've read as of late:

Invincible Presents: Atom Eve & Rex Splode. It was good, not Invincible good, but good. Interesting back stories on the 2 characters.

I also read a Catwoman TPB, the Cat Flie (I think) it was drawn by Jim Balent. I really liked his style. the art really flowed and improved the storytelling. I enjoyed it.

Not sure what is next.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I'm still struggling my way through the 52 new DC #1 books...
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Heath wrote:I'm still struggling my way through the 52 new DC #1 books...

I'm soooooo glad I decided not to get all 52. There has to be some real stinkers in there. It likely would've turned me off to comics for a while.

I read the latest Walking Dead. I like that things seem to be moving now.
ASM Crossover Home

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

leonmallett wrote:Been re-reading more and more Avengers; the first 10 issues of Mighty Avengers, the first 20 or so of New Avengers vol. 1.
I remember reading those - they were fun but, a lot seemed to get blown over quickly as it moved towards Secret Invasion. How about Avengers: the Initiative? That series was great ... much better than the other two titles that were coming out at the same time (IMO).

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Atari Force 1 - great art, interesting characters
Balder the Brave mini-series- It's simonson!
Battle Angel Alita Last Order TPB 15- one hell of a long series and still good!
Cinder and Ashe mini-series- Art plus story A++

Cosmic Powers Unlimited 2
Cosmic Powers Unlimited 3
(HONESTLY, I FORGOT WHY I BOUGHT THESE!) Never have I seen Big John Buscema's art more Effed up than by the inkers & colorists then. It was the malibu era of marvel coloring! CRAP! :censored:

Daredevil Gang War TPB (not read yet)
Daredevil Love and War GN (not read yet)
DC Comics Presents Superboys Legion (not read yet)
Deadman 1986 mini-series (not read yet)
Deadman (2002 2nd Series) 5 (not read yet)
Deadman (2002 2nd Series) 6 (not read yet)
Destroyer (Marvel 1-Shot) Big Destroy fan!
Green Lantern Emerald Warriors (2010- ) 13A Ron frenz art! decent story
Secret Invasion Aftermath Beta Ray Bill Green of Eden mutha-freaking grabage! they screwed the pooch on the art and story! :censored:
Shadow (1987 2nd Series DC) 1-6 bill sienkiewicz...do you gotta ask?

Showcase 94 (1994) 1
Showcase 94 (1994) 5
(HONESTLY, I FORGOT WHY I BOUGHT THESE!) But there was some good stuff in there (chuck dixon Huntress story was good as always from Chuck!)

Star Raiders (1983 DC GN) (not read yet)
Superman Inc. (1999) 1(not read yet)

Vanguard Illustrated (1983) 1-4 Some interesting stuff...and some BAD stuff even for that time!

What If 22 (1989 2nd Series) interesting story- What if the Silver Surfer never left earth. Oh, Johnny Storm gets killed by Mephisto (precursor or what!)

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Doorman wrote:
leonmallett wrote:Been re-reading more and more Avengers; the first 10 issues of Mighty Avengers, the first 20 or so of New Avengers vol. 1.
I remember reading those - they were fun but, a lot seemed to get blown over quickly as it moved towards Secret Invasion. How about Avengers: the Initiative? That series was great ... much better than the other two titles that were coming out at the same time (IMO).
I enjoyed the Avengers: Initiative series, but felt it lost some direction and left too many threads dangling towards the end. Part of my re-reading is to specifically inform an essay I am writing.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

DD by Frank Miller Vol 2
ASM Crossover Home

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

OmenSpirits.com wrote: Cosmic Powers Unlimited 2
Cosmic Powers Unlimited 3
(HONESTLY, I FORGOT WHY I BOUGHT THESE!) Never have I seen Big John Buscema's art more Effed up than by the inkers & colorists then. It was the malibu era of marvel coloring! CRAP! :censored:
I remember the story to issue 1 and I know I have read 2 and 3 but I can't remember what happened. Quite forgettable like so much else of that era.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

usm for a while

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers: Heart of Darkness #1-4 Christ this series sucks. I didn't think any comic could be worse than Transformers: Revelation, Transformers: Maximum Dinobots and Dragon Age vol. 1 this book goes to the list. DnA needs to stay away from the Transformers they just don't know WTF they're doing. The art at first glance looks great (I will say that his cover to #1 is good but that is the only good piece, but the cover to #4 is one the worse Transformers pieces ever drawn) but the artist can't seem to draw a thing without a splash or a double page splash page. This book sucks in every way.

The Transformers #19-#23 You go from crap to class. These were some of the best Transformers comics done years. #22 and #23 being exceptional stories, if you think Optimus Prime and Megatron just sitting around talking is boring think again. Guest writer James Roberts shows that there are more two characters than meets the eye (pun intended), and he adds more depth and complexity in two issues than most other writers could have done 20 issues.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

up to usm 8 now it is just good stuff

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

superman-prime wrote:up to usm 8 now it is just good stuff
It gets even better :thumb:

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

ya ive heard that only like 100 to go

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I just read Tales of the Teen Titans #44. I bought this issue because I've always liked the *SQUEE* Grayson character, probably moreso than Bruce Wayne. I read Nightwing for a while, but never knew how Dick became Nightwing. This is the issue where that happens.

The issue is part 3 of The Judas Contract storyline which is about Deathstroke the Terminator. This was my first time ever reading a Teen Titans book and it was pretty good. Maybe some of you all can answer a few questions:

1. Are the Teen Titans series worth reading? This is literally the only issue I've read. I think I have the first Deathstroke issue around here somewhere.

2. Was Deadpool originally just a rip-off of Deathstroke the Terminator? They are both mercenaries and Deathstroke's name is Slade Wilson. Deadpool = Wade Wilson. It has to be a rip-off of Deathstroke, right?
ASM Crossover Home

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Perez and Wolfman's New Teen Titans is the first comic series I started reading as a kid. I have re-read issues here and there over the years and believes it holds up reasonably well for the amount of years that have passed. I would recommend reading it through the Judas Contract and also reading the 4 issues Tales of the Teen Titans mini-series that explored the origins of Cyborg, Raven, Chengeling (Beast Boy), and Starfire more in depth.
***Support your local farmers!***

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:2. Was Deadpool originally just a rip-off of Deathstroke the Terminator? They are both mercenaries and Deathstroke's name is Slade Wilson. Deadpool = Wade Wilson. It has to be a rip-off of Deathstroke, right?
Yes. I read an interview with Liefeld where he was talking about the creation of Deadpool. He showed the character design and was discussing the powers with... Fabian Nicieza? and Fabian pointed out that he was pretty much Deathstroke so Liefeld decided to make Deadpool a glib character to make him a little different from Deathstroke.

Lightning Strike

400yrs wrote:I just read Tales of the Teen Titans #44. I bought this issue because I've always liked the *SQUEE* Grayson character, probably moreso than Bruce Wayne.
Same here. I like Nightwing a LOT more than Batman. And his new series is pretty good.
400yrs wrote:The issue is part 3 of The Judas Contract storyline which is about Deathstroke the Terminator. This was my first time ever reading a Teen Titans book and it was pretty good. Maybe some of you all can answer a few questions:

1. Are the Teen Titans series worth reading?
It depends which vol. The New Teen Titans (1980) by Woflman/Perez is excellent. The 2nd vol by the same creative team is also pretty good. Teen Titans (1996) stinks, don't bother reading it. Titans (1999), as much as I wish I could say otherwise, is not that great. Teen Titans (2003) is very good overall, but there are some runs throughout the series that really stink, so it's hit and miss. Titans (2008)-again, I really wanted to enjoy it, but it's just not that good. So IMO, stick with the Wolman/Perez issues and you can't go wrong.
400yrs wrote:2. Was Deadpool originally just a rip-off of Deathstroke the Terminator? They are both mercenaries and Deathstroke's name is Slade Wilson. Deadpool = Wade Wilson. It has to be a rip-off of Deathstroke, right?
I honestly don't know about this. But knowing Rob Liefeld, he probably did get the idea of Deadpool from Deathstroke.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers #24-31 The Chaos arc is actually 2 arcs in one. The main arc called Chaos is set on Cybertron where Optimus Prime and the Autobots fight Galvatron's army and the D-Void. Cyclonus and the Sweeps capture an Autobot space station called Kimia some of the crew escape. As that happens Optimus Prime and company land on Cybertron in Omega Supreme's rocket mode, and meet with Galvatron, who tells Optimus that they must join forces, of course Optimus refuses and all hell breaks lose. Galvatron orders the Kimia to be transformed into it's alt-mode a giant space cannon and he fires it on Cybertron. Optimus orders Silverbolt and the Aerialbots to attack it, Rodimus and Trailbreaker go with them, but they are unable to it from firing again Trailbreaker tries to stop the cannon by using his force field and it doesn't work and he's knocked out by the backlash. The cannon is destroyed by Lightspeed and Nosecone two of the Technobots who stationed on it before Cyclonus took it over as Rodimus Prime in Omega Supreme's rocket mode crashes into it. Rodimus lands back on Cybertron, and regroups with Optimus, Ironhide, and Drift who are following Galvatron down the crater to Cybertron's core.

Back on the surface Megatron escaped using guns made from his old body that the Autobots took off of humans and he also uses it to makes a new super-armor for him (I WANT THAT AS A TOY!) and starts attacking the Sweeps and while the Autobots think this two-for-one deal (Megatron takes care of the Sweeps and he would be so exhausted that he will be taken care of) when suddenly the Decepticons that were on Earth where Optimus dropped a satellite on them appear and it's quickly explained that they must have used a Space Bridge built inside Megatron's new body to get to Cybertron. The Constructicons form Devastator even though Scarper is dead, when Devastator is formed his leg doesn't work all that well because Scrapper is dead.

Sunstreaker has explosives strapped to his hover chair and confronts Devastator and as Devastator is about to crush Sunstreaker he jumps out of the chair and transforms and the chair explodes defeating Devastator.

As Optimus, Rodimus, Ironhide, and Drift near the planet's core they realize that the Heart of the Darkness that Galvatron thinks will save the universe from D-Void is in fact D-Void and is using Galvatron to create a portal to bring it into the universe! Then something happens to all the Sweeps and the Decepticons (except for Megatron) they start talking in Binary then merge into a giant monster! Drift, a former Decepticon, stabs himself to stop from hurting Optimus, Rodimus, and Ironhide and becoming part of the monster. Rodimus believes that Drift can be saved and Optimus agrees and orders Ironhide to take him back to the surface.
Optimus Prime tells Megatron that he once said he would die to save Cybertron and it's time for him to back up his words with action.

The crew of Kimia are rescued by Arcee and Hardhead who explain what is going on to them. They then take their ship to Cybertron.

Optimus and Rodimus confront Galvatron but he's already unleashed the Heart of Darkness into Vector Sigma, the core of Cybertron. Then Galvatron beats up Rodimus and Optimus. Arcee and Hardhead crash their ship on Galvatron, but recovers and beats them up as well. Only Optimus is left to face him and he's in bad shape Galvatron, who believes that he has won and starts gloating to Optimus when Cyclonus attacks him! Cyclonus tells him that he never followed him and he was controlled by Galvatron, who quickly shoots him.

Meanwhile on the surface Megatron is beating the D-Void monster and getting beaten up as well in a last act of defiance he unleashes the full fury of power on the monster by shooting it's head off. Galvatron feels the pain and realizes at last he's been played as a sucker, as the D-Void is about to enter the universe. Optimus Prime uses the full power of the Autobot Matrix of Leadership and finds himself transported to desolate world with only the shell of the Matrix.

In an epilogue set millions of years into the future. A trio of young Autobots are wanting Alpha Trion (who looks remarkable well for the oldest Transformer in the universe) to tell them a story of the old days. The trio can't agree on the kind of story they want to hear, then Ironhide appears and Alpha Trion tells the trio to go home and watch the media-tron because it's a Holiday. Ironhide is invited to speak to a new generation of Transformers who apparently have created a galactic utopia after his speech Ironhide and Alpha Trion talk and Ironhide says that he feels he shouldn't be honored because he didn't help to create the paradise all he did was punch things. Alpha Trion tells him that by honoring him the new generation remembers the past and learns from it. One of the trio asks Ironhide if Megatron would return he would stop him, and asks him to tell the story of Megatron's final battle.

The second arc called Police Action is set on Earth where Prowl, Ultra Magnus, Bumblebee, Jazz, and Streetwise try to figure out what is going on with Spike Whitwicky and Skywatch. As Prowl spies on Spike he is attacked by Breakdown a Decepticon that Spike captured and used as a car, Streetwise smashes Breakdown and is ordered back into car mode. As Prowl and Streetwise argues Breakdown escapes. Back at Omega Supreme's base mode (Omega Supreme has both a rocket mode and a base mode he can separate and be in two places at once) Ultra Magnus gives them both a stern lecture. Prowl continues his investigation at the site where Scrapper was killed now an office building. As Prowl finds some evidence he is attacked by an assassin who drops the building on him. Streetwise saves Prowl who scans where the assassin is and Streetwise takes off after him only to learn it's Brawl, one of the Combaticons. Streetwise literal runs circles around him as Prowl shoots him and Streetwise puts an inhbertor disc on him. They drag Brawl back to base and question him during which Brawl shorts out and goes into statis-lock (basically a Transformer version of a coma). Pennington one of the members of Skywatch who has agreed to help the Autobots finds the woman who betrayed them and Prowl brings back to base where she explains that Spike think of himself as an action hero and has a giant ego. Spike sees her in base and he confesses to Prowl that he killed Scrapper, as a safety precaution to stop Devestator from being reformed, but Prowl doesn't buy it.

Skywatch and the Autobots have another problem: Ben Simpson, the leader of a group called The Children of the Earth and they believe that he and his group have been selling the Megatron guns. They raid his house and Simpson is killed by Skywatch they learn that he is facmile (a clone created by the Decepticons to sow chaos in the world) and the Autobots trace the signal that controlled him to Swindle and Ultra Magnus blows Swindle's arm off and drags him back to base where Swindle tells the Autobots that he was selling Cybertronian tech to a certian human before they form the alliance with Skywatch and that the human is Spike! Spike has fled taking as much of the technology with him. Jazz and Pennington head back to Skywatch's old base and confonts the Joint Chiefs and tells them what Spike has been up to and the alliance is over. Jazz then destroys all the remaining Cybertronian technology and wipes the hard drives cleans and says goodbye to Pennington.

While Chaos is the better of two arcs due to it's better pace and spectular artwork. The epilogue is only the problem first off the issue comes off as a senceless recap of earlier storylines and I'm not a big fan of knowing what the future holds even if it's 15 mlillion years from now. I give Chaos a 4.5 out of 5.

Police Action starts off good but is quickly rushed and it's ending is really weak, Spike's actions are never properly explained. Prowl comes off as a bad Rorachasrh wanna-be. The artwork is good but nothing special. I give it a 3 out of 5.

And then there is The Death of Optimus Prime #1, a one-shot that has Optimus remembering the day he died. As Optimus awakens he finds himself on Cybertron but a primodial Cybertron and as he heads to the where the rest of the Autobots are he finds a makeshift shanty-town and learns that he when used the Matrix to stop Galvatron it reset Cybertron and sent out a message to every Cybertronian to come home. The only problem is that a lot of the Transformers coming home are not Autobots or Decepticons, but neutrals that Prowl calls NAILs (Non Aligned Indigious Lifeforms) and they see the Autobots as miltary overlords and want them to leave Cybertron. The surviving Decepticons are in prisoned in the cannon portion of Kimia and have ID chips in them. The Autobots examine the remains of the Matrix and find an anicent star map that be the location of Cyberutopia the home of the Knights of Cybertron the creators of Cybertronian culture Rodimus and Drift want to find it while Bumblebee thinks it's a waste of time, and that they should start rebuilding Cybertron. The NAILs riot against the Autobots and they are quickly outnumbered, Prowl unleashes the Decepticons on them and finally to stop the fighting Optimus Prime states that he will leave Cybertron forever if the NAILs will let the rest of the Autobots stay and they agree.

Rodimus still states that he plans to find the Knights of Cybertron and Bumblebee tells him that it's stupid, Optimus walks by and them each half of the Matrix and then takes a ship and leaves. In the ship Optimus states that while many of the Autobots may think that his exile is act of scarifse it's actually a selfish act he's now free of the burdens of leadership and that Optimus Prime is dead and Orion Pax is reborn.

Defentaly a different kind of death than one expected in most comics, it's more of the death of the legend of Optimus Prime. The writing by John Roberts and James Barber is top-notch and sets up both of their respective new series quite well and resolves the Chaos storyline as well. The artwork by Nick Roche is good but I still his style very goofy looking. A nice epiloge/prologe to IDW's first real The Transformers ongoing series. A 5 out of 5.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Lightning Strike

Cyberstrike wrote:The Transformers #24-31 The Chaos arc is actually 2 arcs in one. The main arc called Chaos is set on Cybertron where Optimus Prime and the Autobots fight Galvatron's army and the D-Void. Cyclonus and the Sweeps capture an Autobot space station called Kimia some of the crew escape. As that happens Optimus Prime and company land on Cybertron in Omega Supreme's rocket mode, and meet with Galvatron, who tells Optimus that they must join forces, of course Optimus refuses and all hell breaks lose. Galvatron orders the Kimia to be transformed into it's alt-mode a giant space cannon and he fires it on Cybertron. Optimus orders Silverbolt and the Aerialbots to attack it, Rodimus and Trailbreaker go with them, but they are unable to it from firing again Trailbreaker tries to stop the cannon by using his force field and it doesn't work and he's knocked out by the backlash. The cannon is destroyed by Lightspeed and Nosecone two of the Technobots who stationed on it before Cyclonus took it over as Rodimus Prime in Omega Supreme's rocket mode crashes into it. Rodimus lands back on Cybertron, and regroups with Optimus, Ironhide, and Drift who are following Galvatron down the crater to Cybertron's core.

Back on the surface Megatron escaped using guns made from his old body that the Autobots took off of humans and he also uses it to makes a new super-armor for him (I WANT THAT AS A TOY!) and starts attacking the Sweeps and while the Autobots think this two-for-one deal (Megatron takes care of the Sweeps and he would be so exhausted that he will be taken care of) when suddenly the Decepticons that were on Earth where Optimus dropped a satellite on them appear and it's quickly explained that they must have used a Space Bridge built inside Megatron's new body to get to Cybertron. The Constructicons form Devastator even though Scarper is dead, when Devastator is formed his leg doesn't work all that well because Scrapper is dead.

Sunstreaker has explosives strapped to his hover chair and confronts Devastator and as Devastator is about to crush Sunstreaker he jumps out of the chair and transforms and the chair explodes defeating Devastator.

As Optimus, Rodimus, Ironhide, and Drift near the planet's core they realize that the Heart of the Darkness that Galvatron thinks will save the universe from D-Void is in fact D-Void and is using Galvatron to create a portal to bring it into the universe! Then something happens to all the Sweeps and the Decepticons (except for Megatron) they start talking in Binary then merge into a giant monster! Drift, a former Decepticon, stabs himself to stop from hurting Optimus, Rodimus, and Ironhide and becoming part of the monster. Rodimus believes that Drift can be saved and Optimus agrees and orders Ironhide to take him back to the surface.
Optimus Prime tells Megatron that he once said he would die to save Cybertron and it's time for him to back up his words with action.

The crew of Kimia are rescued by Arcee and Hardhead who explain what is going on to them. They then take their ship to Cybertron.

Optimus and Rodimus confront Galvatron but he's already unleashed the Heart of Darkness into Vector Sigma, the core of Cybertron. Then Galvatron beats up Rodimus and Optimus. Arcee and Hardhead crash their ship on Galvatron, but recovers and beats them up as well. Only Optimus is left to face him and he's in bad shape Galvatron, who believes that he has won and starts gloating to Optimus when Cyclonus attacks him! Cyclonus tells him that he never followed him and he was controlled by Galvatron, who quickly shoots him.

Meanwhile on the surface Megatron is beating the D-Void monster and getting beaten up as well in a last act of defiance he unleashes the full fury of power on the monster by shooting it's head off. Galvatron feels the pain and realizes at last he's been played as a sucker, as the D-Void is about to enter the universe. Optimus Prime uses the full power of the Autobot Matrix of Leadership and finds himself transported to desolate world with only the shell of the Matrix.

In an epilogue set millions of years into the future. A trio of young Autobots are wanting Alpha Trion (who looks remarkable well for the oldest Transformer in the universe) to tell them a story of the old days. The trio can't agree on the kind of story they want to hear, then Ironhide appears and Alpha Trion tells the trio to go home and watch the media-tron because it's a Holiday. Ironhide is invited to speak to a new generation of Transformers who apparently have created a galactic utopia after his speech Ironhide and Alpha Trion talk and Ironhide says that he feels he shouldn't be honored because he didn't help to create the paradise all he did was punch things. Alpha Trion tells him that by honoring him the new generation remembers the past and learns from it. One of the trio asks Ironhide if Megatron would return he would stop him, and asks him to tell the story of Megatron's final battle.

The second arc called Police Action is set on Earth where Prowl, Ultra Magnus, Bumblebee, Jazz, and Streetwise try to figure out what is going on with Spike Whitwicky and Skywatch. As Prowl spies on Spike he is attacked by Breakdown a Decepticon that Spike captured and used as a car, Streetwise smashes Breakdown and is ordered back into car mode. As Prowl and Streetwise argues Breakdown escapes. Back at Omega Supreme's base mode (Omega Supreme has both a rocket mode and a base mode he can separate and be in two places at once) Ultra Magnus gives them both a stern lecture. Prowl continues his investigation at the site where Scrapper was killed now an office building. As Prowl finds some evidence he is attacked by an assassin who drops the building on him. Streetwise saves Prowl who scans where the assassin is and Streetwise takes off after him only to learn it's Brawl, one of the Combaticons. Streetwise literal runs circles around him as Prowl shoots him and Streetwise puts an inhbertor disc on him. They drag Brawl back to base and question him during which Brawl shorts out and goes into statis-lock (basically a Transformer version of a coma). Pennington one of the members of Skywatch who has agreed to help the Autobots finds the woman who betrayed them and Prowl brings back to base where she explains that Spike think of himself as an action hero and has a giant ego. Spike sees her in base and he confesses to Prowl that he killed Scrapper, as a safety precaution to stop Devestator from being reformed, but Prowl doesn't buy it.

Skywatch and the Autobots have another problem: Ben Simpson, the leader of a group called The Children of the Earth and they believe that he and his group have been selling the Megatron guns. They raid his house and Simpson is killed by Skywatch they learn that he is facmile (a clone created by the Decepticons to sow chaos in the world) and the Autobots trace the signal that controlled him to Swindle and Ultra Magnus blows Swindle's arm off and drags him back to base where Swindle tells the Autobots that he was selling Cybertronian tech to a certian human before they form the alliance with Skywatch and that the human is Spike! Spike has fled taking as much of the technology with him. Jazz and Pennington head back to Skywatch's old base and confonts the Joint Chiefs and tells them what Spike has been up to and the alliance is over. Jazz then destroys all the remaining Cybertronian technology and wipes the hard drives cleans and says goodbye to Pennington.

While Chaos is the better of two arcs due to it's better pace and spectular artwork. The epilogue is only the problem first off the issue comes off as a senceless recap of earlier storylines and I'm not a big fan of knowing what the future holds even if it's 15 mlillion years from now. I give Chaos a 4.5 out of 5.

Police Action starts off good but is quickly rushed and it's ending is really weak, Spike's actions are never properly explained. Prowl comes off as a bad Rorachasrh wanna-be. The artwork is good but nothing special. I give it a 3 out of 5.

And then there is The Death of Optimus Prime #1, a one-shot that has Optimus remembering the day he died. As Optimus awakens he finds himself on Cybertron but a primodial Cybertron and as he heads to the where the rest of the Autobots are he finds a makeshift shanty-town and learns that he when used the Matrix to stop Galvatron it reset Cybertron and sent out a message to every Cybertronian to come home. The only problem is that a lot of the Transformers coming home are not Autobots or Decepticons, but neutrals that Prowl calls NAILs (Non Aligned Indigious Lifeforms) and they see the Autobots as miltary overlords and want them to leave Cybertron. The surviving Decepticons are in prisoned in the cannon portion of Kimia and have ID chips in them. The Autobots examine the remains of the Matrix and find an anicent star map that be the location of Cyberutopia the home of the Knights of Cybertron the creators of Cybertronian culture Rodimus and Drift want to find it while Bumblebee thinks it's a waste of time, and that they should start rebuilding Cybertron. The NAILs riot against the Autobots and they are quickly outnumbered, Prowl unleashes the Decepticons on them and finally to stop the fighting Optimus Prime states that he will leave Cybertron forever if the NAILs will let the rest of the Autobots stay and they agree.

Rodimus still states that he plans to find the Knights of Cybertron and Bumblebee tells him that it's stupid, Optimus walks by and them each half of the Matrix and then takes a ship and leaves. In the ship Optimus states that while many of the Autobots may think that his exile is act of scarifse it's actually a selfish act he's now free of the burdens of leadership and that Optimus Prime is dead and Orion Pax is reborn.

Defentaly a different kind of death than one expected in most comics, it's more of the death of the legend of Optimus Prime. The writing by John Roberts and James Barber is top-notch and sets up both of their respective new series quite well and resolves the Chaos storyline as well. The artwork by Nick Roche is good but I still his style very goofy looking. A nice epiloge/prologe to IDW's first real The Transformers ongoing series. A 5 out of 5.
Dude, you have too much time on your hands :wink:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:The Transformers #24-31 *snip*

Dude, you have too much time on your hands :wink:

I read Police Action yesterday and just got finished Chaos and The Death of Optimus Prime just a few hours ago.

I actually did a long review of Transformers: Heart of Darkness #1-4 and Transformers #19-23 which is the prelude arcs but my PC got a glitch before I posted it and I didn't back it up and haven't felt like rewriting it so I did a very short review of them on the last page so this is actually the second half of a MUCH longer review.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Lightning Strike wrote:So IMO, stick with the Wolman/Perez issues and you can't go wrong.
Yep. That's the one I was wondering about. I'll have to see if they covered any of this stuff in trades.
ASM Crossover Home

Lightning Strike

400yrs wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:So IMO, stick with the Wolman/Perez issues and you can't go wrong.
Yep. That's the one I was wondering about. I'll have to see if they covered any of this stuff in trades.
They have those Perez issues in Omnibus v1 and v2 :thumb:

Lightning Strike

Lightning Strike wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Oh, and the New Teen Titans: Games HC just came out too

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:I just read Tales of the Teen Titans #44. I bought this issue because I've always liked the *SQUEE* Grayson character, probably moreso than Bruce Wayne. I read Nightwing for a while, but never knew how Dick became Nightwing. This is the issue where that happens.

The issue is part 3 of The Judas Contract storyline which is about Deathstroke the Terminator. This was my first time ever reading a Teen Titans book and it was pretty good. Maybe some of you all can answer a few questions:

1. Are the Teen Titans series worth reading? This is literally the only issue I've read. I think I have the first Deathstroke issue around here somewhere.

2. Was Deadpool originally just a rip-off of Deathstroke the Terminator? They are both mercenaries and Deathstroke's name is Slade Wilson. Deadpool = Wade Wilson. It has to be a rip-off of Deathstroke, right?
This also the issue where Nightwing acquires his name? I always thought that little chat with Supes was pretty cool.

2. Yerp.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Oh, and the New Teen Titans: Games HC just came out too
And those Wolfman/Perez issues are being collected in omnibus format too. Well worth getting the collected editions (the second is on the horizon so to speak) as well as Games.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month