What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by dave »

I read Aquaman 5 which was really good, which is weird, because I mean, it's Aquaman and I read the latest Green Lantern, which convinced me to drop Green Lantern. I guess Johns and Reis are focusing their best efforts on Aquaman now.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

He still talks to fish right?
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I'm currently planning to read the following:
Mass Effect: Invasion #1-4
'Breed III #1-7
The Termminator/Robocop: Kill Human #1-4
Rocketeer Advetures #1-4
The Transformers: Classics UK vol. 1 TPB
'Breed: The Book of Genesis HC
'Breed II: The Book of Ecclesiastes HC
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

dave wrote:I read Aquaman 5 which was really good, which is weird, because I mean, it's Aquaman and I read the latest Green Lantern, which convinced me to drop Green Lantern. I guess Johns and Reis are focusing their best efforts on Aquaman now.
After getting Green Lantern #54-67, in a 25-cent sale at my LCS, it seems like Johns has been at half-mast on GL for a while. I couldn't believe how downhill Green Lantern had gone. I think the only issue I liked, out of all those listed, was #63.

Aquaman I gave a full story-arc's chance to, primarily because I enjoyed the Aquaman section of Brightest Day quite a bit......I found the first 3 issues of Aquaman to be fairly pedestrian, but it kicked up into a higher gear with issues 4 & 5. I'm hoping it stays this way.

Jersen wrote:Finished my re-reading of the Morrison Batman epic as it stands to date. Definitely interested to see where it goes from here, now that the true identity of Leviathan has been revealed. Also finally finished reading Supergods as well (I was going through it at a very leisurely pace, sometimes I would go a week without reading a chapter), and found it very enjoyable as well, and a very nice look into Grant Morrison's thought processes behind some of his work as well commentary on the cultural context of different story and character trends through the years.

I've got 3 or 4 months of new issues to catch up on and some other as-yet-unread creative runs or arcs to read. I think I'm going to give Final Crisis a re-read, and I'm really thinking about re-reading Greg Rucka's Detective Comics run feature Batwoman with the Question back-up feature. Several other things I've obtained but haven't read yet, such as the pre-Morrison run of Doom Patrol and the post-Morrison run of Animal Man, New Warriors, and several others.

Morrison's Batman epic is probably my favorite Batman run. I felt it somewhat weakened in Batman & Robin. It was as if he dumbed down the writing a bit, as a lot of people complained about RIP being too confusing (How RIP was confusing, I have no idea. Things aren't spelled out for you, but it's not like trying to read hieroglyphics).......Regardless, I liked about half of the B&R segment, and enjoyed the majority of Batman Inc......I loved the recent one-shot, and look forward to the upcoming related title, whenever it comes out.

I haven't read Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, but I did try out Animal Man. I didn't get the hype, I thought it was kind of average. I only got the first tpb.......As for Final Crisis, I didn't like it at all. It felt like someone was channel-surfing.

I did like the majority of Morrison's run on JLA. Also, if you've never read it, I highly suggest a single issue from Morrison's run on Marvel Boy, that being Marvel Boy #3. It's excellent, although I personally wouldn't suggest the rest of his run on that series, as I didn't find the other issues to be worth reading. To put it into perspective, I'd prefer reading Final Crisis over the majority of his Marvel Boy run. I didn't find the other issues confusing, just rather dull/uninteresting.

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

BruceReville wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:
Jersen wrote:I think I'm going to give Final Crisis a re-read
:thumb:
:o Well there goes your sanity for a while
When I read the main Final Crisis story, the only stuff I read is the Morrison FC stuff, along with Tomasi/Mahnke's Requiem and Rucka's Resist. When I say the Morrison FC stuff, I include Superman Beyond 3D and Batman 682-683. Reading what Morrison had to say about Final Crisis in Supergods adds a bit of conceptual clarity to the final chapter.

In response to Savant, I haven't read Morrison's Doom Patrol yet either, and it seems to be one of the more difficult back-issue runs to track down for a reasonable price. Animal Man actually only gets stronger as it goes. Morrison started out with a pretty safe story to start out, issue 5 plants the seed for the metafiction element that builds until his finale in #26.

I also enjoyed the majority of Morrison's JLA run, but I felt that it sagged a bit in the middle, but the beginning and end of his run were extremely strong. Never read Marvel Boy, but I actually enjoyed his New X-Men run more than many (including the man himself) seem to.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Savant wrote:
dave wrote:I read Aquaman 5 which was really good, which is weird, because I mean, it's Aquaman and I read the latest Green Lantern, which convinced me to drop Green Lantern. I guess Johns and Reis are focusing their best efforts on Aquaman now.
After getting Green Lantern #54-67, in a 25-cent sale at my LCS, it seems like Johns has been at half-mast on GL for a while. I couldn't believe how downhill Green Lantern had gone. I think the only issue I liked, out of all those listed, was #63.

Aquaman I gave a full story-arc's chance to, primarily because I enjoyed the Aquaman section of Brightest Day quite a bit......I found the first 3 issues of Aquaman to be fairly pedestrian, but it kicked up into a higher gear with issues 4 & 5. I'm hoping it stays this way.

Jersen wrote:Finished my re-reading of the Morrison Batman epic as it stands to date. Definitely interested to see where it goes from here, now that the true identity of Leviathan has been revealed. Also finally finished reading Supergods as well (I was going through it at a very leisurely pace, sometimes I would go a week without reading a chapter), and found it very enjoyable as well, and a very nice look into Grant Morrison's thought processes behind some of his work as well commentary on the cultural context of different story and character trends through the years.

I've got 3 or 4 months of new issues to catch up on and some other as-yet-unread creative runs or arcs to read. I think I'm going to give Final Crisis a re-read, and I'm really thinking about re-reading Greg Rucka's Detective Comics run feature Batwoman with the Question back-up feature. Several other things I've obtained but haven't read yet, such as the pre-Morrison run of Doom Patrol and the post-Morrison run of Animal Man, New Warriors, and several others.

Morrison's Batman epic is probably my favorite Batman run. I felt it somewhat weakened in Batman & Robin. It was as if he dumbed down the writing a bit, as a lot of people complained about RIP being too confusing (How RIP was confusing, I have no idea. Things aren't spelled out for you, but it's not like trying to read hieroglyphics).......Regardless, I liked about half of the B&R segment, and enjoyed the majority of Batman Inc......I loved the recent one-shot, and look forward to the upcoming related title, whenever it comes out.

I haven't read Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, but I did try out Animal Man. I didn't get the hype, I thought it was kind of average. I only got the first tpb.......As for Final Crisis, I didn't like it at all. It felt like someone was channel-surfing.

I did like the majority of Morrison's run on JLA. Also, if you've never read it, I highly suggest a single issue from Morrison's run on Marvel Boy, that being Marvel Boy #3. It's excellent, although I personally wouldn't suggest the rest of his run on that series, as I didn't find the other issues to be worth reading. To put it into perspective, I'd prefer reading Final Crisis over the majority of his Marvel Boy run. I didn't find the other issues confusing, just rather dull/uninteresting.
Morrison's Animal Man run is 26 issues, and although it's 3 or 4 trades worth it reads as one story. Before this Animal Man hadn't been used for a fair amount of time so the first trade is a reestablishment of the characters status quo in the (then)modern DCU, after that things start to get weird, interesting and stunning. Go back and check out the rest dude, I'm sure you'd love it from your opinion on the rest of Morrison's stuff.

Although I also thought Batman & Robin was probably the best of his Batman stuff (still loved the rest) and didn't feel it was dumbed down at all, as those last few issues of the run tied together not only the B&R concepts but everything Morrison had been playing with for a few years. Plus that last B&R issue of his does have a defining Joker moment for me.

I love a bit of chat about Morrison, currently reading his book. Some REALLY good analysis and some mentalness about meeting a godlike entity... good times. On a serious note I would advise reading it, it's a great mix between analysis of the superhero, comic history, memoir and insanity!

Been looking out for Marvel Boy for a while, also need to check out his New X-Men run and some of the later Invisibles stuff.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Jersen wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:
Jersen wrote:I think I'm going to give Final Crisis a re-read
:thumb:
:o Well there goes your sanity for a while
When I read the main Final Crisis story, the only stuff I read is the Morrison FC stuff, along with Tomasi/Mahnke's Requiem and Rucka's Resist. When I say the Morrison FC stuff, I include Superman Beyond 3D and Batman 682-683. Reading what Morrison had to say about Final Crisis in Supergods adds a bit of conceptual clarity to the final chapter.

In response to Savant, I haven't read Morrison's Doom Patrol yet either, and it seems to be one of the more difficult back-issue runs to track down for a reasonable price. Animal Man actually only gets stronger as it goes. Morrison started out with a pretty safe story to start out, issue 5 plants the seed for the metafiction element that builds until his finale in #26.

I also enjoyed the majority of Morrison's JLA run, but I felt that it sagged a bit in the middle, but the beginning and end of his run were extremely strong. Never read Marvel Boy, but I actually enjoyed his New X-Men run more than many (including the man himself) seem to.
Sorry dude, I read Savant's reply before this and ended up saying alot of similar things! How did you find Supergods?

gambleslam
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by gambleslam »

I am currently re-reading GI Joe: A Real American Hero via the IDW released Classic GI Joe tpbs. Just finished up issue 50 before going to work. Still enjoyable stuff from Hama, like reading an '80s action movie in comic form sometimes.

Morrison's Marvel Boy is entertaining for sure, the artwork helps it a lot as well (I think the last issue had some fill-in pages, but otherwise the art goes really well with the big budget movie style of the story). I've only read it once though, usually I re-read Morrison stuff a lot, it could be time to revisit it.

I think his Animal Man run gets better as it progresses too, it is one of my favorite superhero comic stories. I really like the portrayal of Animal Man being a family man, and how he tries to reason with his opponents before resorting to fisticuffs (I know that other superheroes do this too, but they seem like halfhearted attempts compared to Buddy haha).

Love his Batman run, while I was in college it was pretty much the only comic I was buying monthly. Doom Patrol is a good story as well (I think all its TPBs are back in print now). I always enjoy comic stories like Animal Man and Doom Patrol that seem "complete".

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

gambleslam wrote:I am currently re-reading GI Joe: A Real American Hero via the IDW released Classic GI Joe tpbs. Just finished up issue 50 before going to work. Still enjoyable stuff from Hama, like reading an '80s action movie in comic form sometimes.

Morrison's Marvel Boy is entertaining for sure, the artwork helps it a lot as well (I think the last issue had some fill-in pages, but otherwise the art goes really well with the big budget movie style of the story). I've only read it once though, usually I re-read Morrison stuff a lot, it could be time to revisit it.

I think his Animal Man run gets better as it progresses too, it is one of my favorite superhero comic stories. I really like the portrayal of Animal Man being a family man, and how he tries to reason with his opponents before resorting to fisticuffs (I know that other superheroes do this too, but they seem like halfhearted attempts compared to Buddy haha).

Love his Batman run, while I was in college it was pretty much the only comic I was buying monthly. Doom Patrol is a good story as well (I think all its TPBs are back in print now). I always enjoy comic stories like Animal Man and Doom Patrol that seem "complete".
Animal Man proved to me that GM is utterly bonkers.

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

After some consideration over what old creative runs to read or re-read, I think I'm going to tackle John Byrne's Namor run from the early '90s. Byrne wrote AND drew the first 25 issues and wrote the next 10 or so with Jae Lee on art and I have that whole set of issues and have never read past the first 5 or 6 issues when I first bought them back in the day. Anybody got any opinion on this run?

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Jersen wrote:After some consideration over what old creative runs to read or re-read, I think I'm going to tackle John Byrne's Namor run from the early '90s. Byrne wrote AND drew the first 25 issues and wrote the next 10 or so with Jae Lee on art and I have that whole set of issues and have never read past the first 5 or 6 issues when I first bought them back in the day. Anybody got any opinion on this run?
I read probably the last half of this run when it came out and I remember enjoying it and it was on my pull list. I was about 19 yo at the time but I think I would still enjoy the run from the return of Iron fist through the end. I would like to read the first half at some point in the future.
***Support your local farmers!***

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Who is Jake Ellis - This was awesome! If you like the Bourne movies, you will likely enjoy this.
ASM Crossover Home

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

BruceReville wrote:He still talks to fish right?
In one issue I think he was ordering fish in a restaurant...
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

hulk181man wrote:
:!: Cannibal!!
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

comicsyte95 wrote:
hulk181man wrote:
Fish eat fish and he is 1/2 human as well

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Reading various Marvel Essentials - Right now Amazing Spider-Man Vol 3

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

the other week i read one of the Astro City graphic novels, i haven't read Astro City in a long time, man what a great comic.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Brother Darque wrote:the other week i read one of the Astro City graphic novels, i haven't read Astro City in a long time, man what a great comic.
It is indeed. As well as the comics, I have picked up most of the hard-cover collection (just waiting for re-releases of Family Album and Confession in HC), and love re-reading these.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

The Simpsons: Death of Comic Book Guy 1-5. If you like/liked the TV show, this was awesome!
ASM Crossover Home

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

BruceReville wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
hulk181man wrote:
Fish eat fish and he is 1/2 human as well
He's half human half Atlantean... he's not a fish. He controls fish now, none of the friendly chats (oh :( )

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

Brother Darque wrote:the other week i read one of the Astro City graphic novels, i haven't read Astro City in a long time, man what a great comic.
Oh man, I have the whole Astro City run in individual issues, and I've ready up through the 20-odd issue run from Image/WildStorm, but still haven't ready the stuff past that yet, but I may just go back and read the whole thing from the beginning. I hear some people say that the Dark Age stuff isn't as good, but I've really liked everything I've read so far.

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Jersen wrote:
Oh man, I have the whole Astro City run in individual issues, and I've ready up through the 20-odd issue run from Image/WildStorm, but still haven't ready the stuff past that yet, but I may just go back and read the whole thing from the beginning. I hear some people say that the Dark Age stuff isn't as good, but I've really liked everything I've read so far.
i thought the dark age was great.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Brother Darque wrote:
Jersen wrote:
i thought the dark age was great.
I enjoyed it more on the second reading. First time it came out so piecemeal that the impetus was lost, whereas in a shorter time-span the narrative tone, threads and hooks were more apparent.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Marine Man 1-6 by Ian Churchill - A fantastic, clean cut and fun all ages book until the very last issue where there was some sexual innuendo. I will look forward to the next mini.

Term Life GN - by AJ Lieberman (Cowboy Ninja Viking) - This is about a guy trying to stay alive for 21 days until his life insurance policy kicks in. I had to read this in several different sittings. It jumps around so it will probably read better when I can re-read it in a few sittings.

Scalped 55 - This book has been a bit wierd the last few issues as the main character's mouth has been wired shut and there has been alot of action drawn on dark pages. I was getting the same feeling this issue as well until the last couple of pages. The very last page was one of those holy *SQUEE* moments for me. Very excited for the final 5 issues!
ASM Crossover Home

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I'm rereading The Silent Invasion series again right now. The first six issues were reprinted by Caliber, and changes were made by the creative team on those reprints, so I'm reading the Caliber versions of those 6 issues this time. I love that series.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.