Question about DCBS

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

MrBigFeathas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Question about DCBS

Post by MrBigFeathas »

I currently have a subscription at scifigenre.com, but I've been thinking about switching to DCBS because as I add more comics the difference in price between the two sites becomes greater. Right now I pay $6 more per month than I could at DCBS, and since I will continue to add all the Valiants that number will get higher. I've always liked the subscription model so I didn't have to remember to order them every month, they just pull them for me and the service is great, but I may want to save that extra money.

Anyway, my question is when do the monthly titles update on DCBS's site? For example, are July's issues shown starting May 1st? Or is it later in May that I would first see the July issues? I'm just trying to make sure I wouldn't miss anything ever and trying to time canceling my current service so I don't get duplicates.

Thanks.
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2
Re: Question about DCBS

Post by Dr. Solar »

It follows the previews schedule, so it is generally two months ahead.

Right now, the DCBS site is showing books that ship in June. It doesn't Change over any specific day, it is usually a week after the Previews hits the stand. I imagine that some time next week, the DCBS site will switch over and start selling books that ship in July.

MrBigFeathas

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Dr. Solar wrote:It follows the previews schedule, so it is generally two months ahead.

Right now, the DCBS site is showing books that ship in June. It doesn't Change over any specific day, it is usually a week after the Previews hits the stand. I imagine that some time next week, the DCBS site will switch over and start selling books that ship in July.
Thanks, and do you generally have the whole month to get your order together?
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Yes. You have the whole month. There is a final order date, usually around the 25th, plus or minus a few days.

The nice thing is you can place an order at the beginning of the month, and add stuff to the order throughout the month. The order does not becomes closed until the final order date.

MrBigFeathas

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Thanks for the help, I just set it up. I'll give it a try.

MrBigFeathas

Post by MrBigFeathas »

One last question, since I ordered a couple days after the due date is there a chance I won't get some stuff? Or if it is available on their site I am good?

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I would normally recommend someone check out MailOrderComics.com as an alternative to DCBS. But they recently revamped their website and it sucks now.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

MrBigFeathas wrote:One last question, since I ordered a couple days after the due date is there a chance I won't get some stuff? Or if it is available on their site I am good?

You are probably fine. I've had them change things a few days after it closed.

FYI, since you have your initial order in, you can create a pull list and start there on your next order.

They generally tend to update with the new books on Thursday and Saturday nights is what I've noticed. Next week, it may not be up until Sat is my guess.
ASM Crossover Home

MrBigFeathas

Post by MrBigFeathas »

400yrs wrote:
MrBigFeathas wrote:One last question, since I ordered a couple days after the due date is there a chance I won't get some stuff? Or if it is available on their site I am good?

You are probably fine. I've had them change things a few days after it closed.

FYI, since you have your initial order in, you can create a pull list and start there on your next order.

They generally tend to update with the new books on Thursday and Saturday nights is what I've noticed. Next week, it may not be up until Sat is my guess.
Yeah, I actually had my pull list created for the last few weeks. I was just afraid to go through with it. I just set myself a reminder for every Wednesday to check it out. Maybe that will help me remember every month. So I may not find out until June if I got the issues I ordered today right? Or will I know before then?

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Like fo-Hun said, you're probably fine. I've emailed DCBS a month after the final order date asking them to add it to my order, and they have. They run a brick and mortar shop in addition to the mail order business, and I think that gives them a bit of buffer for late orders and stuff.

Plus, if you are ordering stuff from the big publishers, the final order cutoff date is about three weeks after the order due date, so typically you'll be fine.

MrBigFeathas

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Dr. Solar wrote:Like fo-Hun said, you're probably fine. I've emailed DCBS a month after the final order date asking them to add it to my order, and they have. They run a brick and mortar shop in addition to the mail order business, and I think that gives them a bit of buffer for late orders and stuff.

Plus, if you are ordering stuff from the big publishers, the final order cutoff date is about three weeks after the order due date, so typically you'll be fine.
Ok cool, I was more worried about my Harbinger and X-O order :hope:

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

MrBigFeathas wrote:Ok cool, I was more worried about my Harbinger and X-O order :hope:
You're probably fine ordering Harbinger still, if you are ordering X-O recently, you might have trouble.

MrBigFeathas

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Dr. Solar wrote:
MrBigFeathas wrote:Ok cool, I was more worried about my Harbinger and X-O order :hope:
You're probably fine ordering Harbinger still, if you are ordering X-O recently, you might have trouble.
I meant for #2, I won't cancel my other sub until they have packed my X-O #1s

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Heath wrote:I would normally recommend someone check out MailOrderComics.com as an alternative to DCBS. But they recently revamped their website and it sucks now.

I would have to agree. I had been using mailordercomics for the last couple years.
After the revamp I didn't bother ordering for a couple months.
Switching over to DCBS for the Valiant books.
I have noticed so far they have been cheaper on the #1 issues.
XO #1 and Harbinger #1 @1.99 vs $2.79
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Heath wrote:I would normally recommend someone check out MailOrderComics.com as an alternative to DCBS. But they recently revamped their website and it sucks now.
I don't care for the revamp either, it was easier to navigate before they tinkered around with it.

Heath
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

sonicdan wrote: I would have to agree. I had been using mailordercomics for the last couple years.
After the revamp I didn't bother ordering for a couple months.
Switching over to DCBS for the Valiant books.
I have noticed so far they have been cheaper on the #1 issues.
DAN

I stopped ordering after the revamp too. But they gave me a $15 gift certificate to come back, so I used that for the first month of Valiant. Then I discovered I had a $10 internal credit and used that for the second month. I haven't decided on DCBS or Paradise from here on. I'd like to give my business to Paradise, but he only ships USPS which I try to avoid, and he uses modern rather than silver age bags and boards.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

sonicdan wrote:
Heath wrote:I have noticed so far they have been cheaper on the #1 issues.
DAN
I noticed this too and it's a smart marketing move. He's pushing the VEI books out the door to get the upper tier variants -- and attracting new customers. :hm:

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

I hate the Mailordercomics.com revamp too. Plus their shipping is MUCH higher than DCBS.

MrBigFeathas

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Guess I picked the right one. I feel bad leaving SciFi Genre after 5 years, but switching to DCBS will be like getting 3 books free compared to the cost at SciFi Genre. And UPS Ground shipping for the same price I was paying for Media Mail.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

MrBigFeathas wrote:Guess I picked the right one. I feel bad leaving SciFi Genre after 5 years, but switching to DCBS will be like getting 3 books free compared to the cost at SciFi Genre. And UPS Ground shipping for the same price I was paying for Media Mail.
I've been using DCBS for a couple of years now and I think that they're great.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Big Red wrote:
MrBigFeathas wrote:Guess I picked the right one. I feel bad leaving SciFi Genre after 5 years, but switching to DCBS will be like getting 3 books free compared to the cost at SciFi Genre. And UPS Ground shipping for the same price I was paying for Media Mail.
I've been using DCBS for a couple of years now and I think that they're great.
x2
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

This probably doesn't matter to most people, but they've been using FedEx a bit recently as well. I think the people this effects are few and far between, but just thought I'd point it out.

MrBigFeathas

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Dr. Solar wrote:
This probably doesn't matter to most people, but they've been using FedEx a bit recently as well. I think the people this effects are few and far between, but just thought I'd point it out.
Still better than media mail and USPS "tracking".

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

Have been using DCBS since 2007 and have only had one problem with their service and it was addressed immediately.

If receiving your books in the best condition possible is a priority, I would recommend selecting the Mylite2/Fullbacks option at 50 cents each for bag and board. This will minimize the possibility of handling or shipping damage before you receive them. On average, from my experience, the books arrive in slightly better condition than with the regular bad/board option.

MrBigFeathas

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Second_Death wrote:Have been using DCBS since 2007 and have only had one problem with their service and it was addressed immediately.

If receiving your books in the best condition possible is a priority, I would recommend selecting the Mylite2/Fullbacks option at 50 cents each for bag and board. This will minimize the possibility of handling or shipping damage before you receive them. On average, from my experience, the books arrive in slightly better condition than with the regular bad/board option.
I went with the regular bags and boards for my first order. I will start going with the Mylites from now on. Can't edit the order anymore.

Thanks.