What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Tim »

ian_house wrote:I love how the new Flash looks but there are some story choices that have me worried. Not stuff you've quite come to yet. Manapul is slowly reassuring me though. I'd be interested to hear Tim's thoughts on the new Flash, you out there dude?
I'm here, bro!

Just saw this actually. I really hadn't read beyond the second issue until last night, but so I'd have some comment for here I read the first 6 issues last night. That being said, the art is great, but I can see fans easily getting tired of Manapul's work. I find it nice to look at but distracting at the same time. Maybe I'm just dull, but I think the zany panel layouts and page designs he does really take away from the flow of the story and feel too busy.

I think the back-story of Barry and Manny felt forced. Felt a little like Manapul is trying too hard to give Barry too much depth early on. I'm starting to see what people are talking about when they say Barry is a boring character. In this case, I don' tthink it's limited to the out-of-costume moments either. The Flash almost feels like a throwaway background character here.

The characters of Patty Spivot and Darwin Elias, however are what are going to keep me reading this book. I find myself rushing through scenes with the Flash to get to the scenes about them, because they're simply more interesting than the lead character. I think both of these characters are well-written and likeable. It's nice to see a brilliant scientist who is not a villian or a superhero himself and Patty's characterization is fantastic. A likeable strong-minded capable woman who still gets excited when Barry finally says he's her boyfriend and who likes to be thought of as "hot" and "cute".

So, yeah, the best thing I think they can do with this series is to remove Barry / The Flash from it. A Patty / Dr. Elias sci-fi / adventure series would be a lot of fun.

Disclaimer: I bring an AWFUL lot of my own baggage to my opinion of this series.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Tim wrote:
ian_house wrote:I love how the new Flash looks but there are some story choices that have me worried. Not stuff you've quite come to yet. Manapul is slowly reassuring me though. I'd be interested to hear Tim's thoughts on the new Flash, you out there dude?
I'm here, bro!

Just saw this actually. I really hadn't read beyond the second issue until last night, but so I'd have some comment for here I read the first 6 issues last night. That being said, the art is great, but I can see fans easily getting tired of Manapul's work. I find it nice to look at but distracting at the same time. Maybe I'm just dull, but I think the zany panel layouts and page designs he does really take away from the flow of the story and feel too busy.

I think the back-story of Barry and Manny felt forced. Felt a little like Manapul is trying too hard to give Barry too much depth early on. I'm starting to see what people are talking about when they say Barry is a boring character. In this case, I don' tthink it's limited to the out-of-costume moments either. The Flash almost feels like a throwaway background character here.

The characters of Patty Spivot and Darwin Elias, however are what are going to keep me reading this book. I find myself rushing through scenes with the Flash to get to the scenes about them, because they're simply more interesting than the lead character. I think both of these characters are well-written and likeable. It's nice to see a brilliant scientist who is not a villian or a superhero himself and Patty's characterization is fantastic. A likeable strong-minded capable woman who still gets excited when Barry finally says he's her boyfriend and who likes to be thought of as "hot" and "cute".

So, yeah, the best thing I think they can do with this series is to remove Barry / The Flash from it. A Patty / Dr. Elias sci-fi / adventure series would be a lot of fun.

Disclaimer: I bring an AWFUL lot of my own baggage to my opinion of this series.
First off, I like Manapul's work, but I do think that he might best serve the series by either stepping down completely after a year or remaining as writer and allowing another artist to take over, sort of like Grell did with Green Arrow following Longbow Hunters.

Secondly, I don't mind Barry having some depth. It's one of the changes I'm enjoying the most, but on the flipside, I'm not happy with those being made to Captain Cold. I just hope he doesn't end up as brutal as he has been so far. I do like Patty and Elias, but I think they are better as support than leads, though getting an issue here or there that focuses on one or both would be nice.

Finally, I'm in agreement about Manny and Barry. I just didn't think it rang true to what I tend to think of as Barry. I will be interested in seeing what comes of Mob Rule, though.

Oh, and one other thing...a friend of mine HATES Patty. She wonders why a "strong, female scientist would care what a man thinks." I told her "because she's still a woman who is interested in a man." To which she said "why would a scientist care about a relationship?"

Did I mention this is the same chick that is single and thought Babylon 5 "broke the laws of Star Trek?" I guess you can't please everyone, but for my money, Patty is great.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

xodacia81 wrote:Did I mention this is the same chick that is single and thought Babylon 5 "broke the laws of Star Trek?" I guess you can't please everyone, but for my money, Patty is great.
Everytime she says that, just counter with the word "Voyager".

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Chiclo wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:Did I mention this is the same chick that is single and thought Babylon 5 "broke the laws of Star Trek?" I guess you can't please everyone, but for my money, Patty is great.
She loves Voyager, because in her mind "it is the least emotional and the most scientifically inquisitive, thus it is true SF." While she loved some of DS9, she thought the idea of a war was selling the idea of war as good, rather than just seeing it as a story being told. Her favorite characters in Star Trek? Spock, Odo, Garrak, Data, Tuovok and Seven. Yes. You read that right. Now tell me what profile you'd make for her if you worked for the FBI.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

2 words run away.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

superman-prime wrote:2 words run away.
I don't spend much time with her.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

good idea.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

xodacia81 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
She loves Voyager, because in her mind "it is the least emotional and the most scientifically inquisitive, thus it is true SF." While she loved some of DS9, she thought the idea of a war was selling the idea of war as good, rather than just seeing it as a story being told. Her favorite characters in Star Trek? Spock, Odo, Garrak, Data, Tuovok and Seven. Yes. You read that right. Now tell me what profile you'd make for her if you worked for the FBI.
How can those be her favourite Trek characters but she can show no love for Kosh?

Probably because those Trek characters (except for Garak but he's just so cool that he overcomes) are scientifically curious and looking for answers and Kosh has answers but doesn't give them freely.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

He is reverse true there, but remember they are all kosh.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Chiclo wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
How can those be her favourite Trek characters but she can show no love for Kosh?

Probably because those Trek characters (except for Garak but he's just so cool that he overcomes) are scientifically curious and looking for answers and Kosh has answers but doesn't give them freely.
It goes deeper than that. She likes the answers to be given, and when one is forced to search for answers-and isn't that the point of science?-she views it as RELIGIOUS. Her issue with B5 & BSG both come down to how she believes that the introduction of "spiritual" elements, somehow "destroy" the show. It's why she's got issues with DS9 and especially with Sisko, Dukhat and the Bajorans. I always viewed Kosh as just what he was, a teacher and a "wise man". I never saw any of these shows as pushing religion. What gets me is as we've both discussed...how can somebody claiming to adhere to scientific inquiry simply want the answers given...and yet respond to Kosh, who makes you go through a process, as a religious figure, but Seven, who just babbles it-recieved wisdom from a religious text, anyone?-as a scientist?

I think it's the same reason she likes the 3rd and 5th Doctors. They're the only ones she's ever seen holding beakers in a lab and wearing a white coat.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Saga = Epic
ASM Crossover Home

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:Saga = Epic
Saga? Need more info.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

xodacia81 wrote:
Saga? Need more info.
The new Brian K Vaughan book that came out today. It's his first truly creator owned book which is being released by Image and his first work since Ex Machina ended. It's an ongoing. 44 story pages, no ads for $2.99

It's a sci-fantasy, which both aren't really genres I like, but you can see he is building a Star Wars sort of world in the first issue alone. Great stuff.

It's the best first issue I've read since Chew #1.
ASM Crossover Home

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Saga? Need more info.
The new Brian K Vaughan book that came out today. It's his first truly creator owned book being released by Image and his first work since Ex Machina ended. It's an ongoing. 44 story pages, no ads for $2.99

It's a sci-fantasy, which both aren't really genres I like, but you can see he is building a Star Wars sort of world in the first issue alone. Great stuff.

It's the best first issue I've read since Chew #1.
DAMN. I hope the store still has copies when I swing by there again in a couple weeks. As for Chew, I somehow misplaced # 27 and had to do an EBAY order today for another copy. I've never misplaced a comic like that, before.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

I just picked up 2 Sagas at the shop now. Was worried they would sell out. Huzzah!

8-)

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

vikingspawn wrote:I just picked up 2 Sagas at the shop now. Was worried they would sell out. Huzzah!

8-)

Give it a read and let's hear your opinion on it.
ASM Crossover Home

Tim
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Just finished reading Galactic Storm in trades. I remember reading a few chapters when it was released as I was regularly reading a couple of titles it crossed over into (Quasar and Wonder Man). I liked what I read, so I had always wanted to try to read the whole thing, but only recently got the trades.

All in all, I really liked it. Apart from some obvious story padding to get this thing to stretch over 18-20 comics and some very unnecessary supporting characters introduced on the side of the Kree and Shi'ar, this actually one of the better orchestrated 90's crossovers I've ever read. Crossover books are more like "tie-ins" nowadays, but it was kind of fun to see a story start in West Coast Avengers and pick up in Thor without missing a beat. Crossovers now seem like they're basically telling the same story from a different point-of-view. The art was good for the most part with Jeff Johnson's Wonder Man and Greg Capullo's Quasar being the best of the bunch.

Wonder Man, to me is pretty much the hero of the story. Without giving too much away, I'll just say that his role in Galactic Storm started him on the path to being his own distinctive character for once. His solo series was always a favorite of mine.

Eric Masterson bounces from annoying and whiny to awesome depending on who's writing the particular chapter. I wasn't reading Iron Man at the time, but he seems out-of-character a bit from the Iron Man of today. Especially his animosity toward Cap. Never read much with The Black Knight either, but I liked the character here.

The second string Avengers (with the exception of Living Lightning) are useless as always. Gilgamesh? Give me a break....

A fun read and a blast from the past! The two volume trade contains the entire numbered crossover and the issue of Captain America and the 3-4 issues of Quasar that serve as an aftermath to the story which are all very good and add a lot to the story. Also contains the "What If The Avengers Lost Galactic Storm" story from What If? but it's not really worth reading. Pretty godawful.

A comic book story that reads and feels like a comic book story!! Whatever happened to those?

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

got mighty avengers 1 - 20 im thinking on reading is it good ?

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

superman-prime wrote:got mighty avengers 1 - 20 im thinking on reading is it good ?
Hmm. There are some good elements there, but as a whole it just doesn't hang together that well for me, but the symbiote storyline was the most intriguing for me, but it was subsumed into a larger plot arc so kind of got lost in the mix.

Bendis tried to break with his NA style with this, and there are some strong ideas, but the run is very disjointed in my opinion and just does not flow that smoothly. Still, I am re-reading the full BMB Avengers canon form first to last at present, so it was important for me to re-read this.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Can't wait to get Saga but ill this week, argh! At least I preordered it at the shop so it'll be there waiting for me.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Still reading 1978 Marvel Titles. So far I have the following to say:

Devil Dinosaur - Fun Kirby
Amazing Spider-Man - Best of the year so far
X-Men - Close second
Marvel Premiere - Horrid
Master of Kung-Fu - SUprisingly Good
Howard the Duck - Gerber was on heroin when he wrote this series
Marvel Team-up/Two-In-One - Fun Books
Incredible Hulk - Great Run

Getting geared up for Avengers Korvac Saga - Fantastic Four 191-200 - Tomb of Dracula - Black Panther
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

BruceReville wrote:Still reading 1978 Marvel Titles. So far I have the following to say:

X-Men - Close second
Marvel Premiere - Horrid

Getting geared up for Avengers Korvac Saga - Fantastic Four 191-200 - Tomb of Dracula - Black Panther

Who is the character in those Marvel Premiere issues?

I've recently read the first Shang Chi and was surprised that it was good. Did you start at #1 on that series?
ASM Crossover Home

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

400yrs wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Still reading 1978 Marvel Titles. So far I have the following to say:

X-Men - Close second
Marvel Premiere - Horrid

Who is the character in those Marvel Premiere issues?

I've recently read the first Shang Chi and was surprised that it was good. Did you start at #1 on that series?
Jack of Hearts - Torpedo - Tigra - Paladin - pretty much throwaways

Master of Kung-Fu - Started with issue 59 read through 71 - might start from the beginning which was #17 the first issue. The story began in Special Marvel Edition #15 & 16. Very surprised by this comic - I never really gave it a second thought when I was growing-up

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Yeesh. No wonder those Premieres are bad. Paladdin, I have a soft spot for because he was in an issue of ASM that McFarlane drew and that was one of my early comics.

Master of Kung Fu, I'm in the same boat as you and I'm taking an interest in the character. I love me some Iron Fist. Shang Chi is kind of from that same mold. This is the mini series that turned me on to the character. It had IF too.

Last edited by 400yrs on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:23:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASM Crossover Home

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Shang Chi was actually before Iron Fist