Valiant Variants - Enough!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Re: Valiant Variants - Enough!

Post by GGSAE »

jmatt wrote:I expect that at some point soon we're gonna see an interviewer bring up the matter of numerous variants with a Valiant interviewee on one of the comic news sites.
It will probably consist of two separate interviews, by two different execs at Valiant. 8-) All joking aside, I think the company really needs to adopt a title-wide approach like A&A and stick to that moving forward. If we think variant companies like Dynamite and IDW are absurd, what would people outside the industry think about it?
'Is that four different issues of that comic, four different stories?'
'No it's the same story the company just made 4 different covers, plus a second and a third print.'

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

Dino says Valiant doesn't want to go crazy with variants.

I suppose that depends what you mean by "crazy". Yes, there have been more variants than normal comics so far. Yes, we have not seen a single issues without a variant.

Compares to Valiant of old, that is "crazy". Is that crazy compared to comic book companies these days? I honestly don't know, I am asking. I just started ordering new comics two months ago.

I see 10 covers with Walking Dead 100. I see other titles (Massive, Mind MGMT, and Mind the Gap) with variants for every issue.

For a new company, launching new titles, I can see what Valiant is doing. We have discussed to death the economics of it. So how much is it really standing out as "more" variants than other companies - especially other indie companies with which we really should compare them.

It is still too early IMO to say that have gone crazy. The signs are not great (for reasons listed above) but we are only in the second month of releases. Let's see what happens by the end of the year.

In the meantime, it does mean that many fans/collectors will get tired of collecting them, however. I can't spend an extra $60 to $80 each month just to get variant issues, no matter how much I want. So I won't. While Valiant does have me somewhat wary, I am not ready yet to say that they have absolutely gone crazy. Let me wait till August, and see what the solicitations are then, and I think it will be easier to see. For everyone's sake, I hope they do slow down, and don't feel the need to do a variant for every issue for every month. Even if they slow down to one title per month or something, I would be fine with that.

But I would (in general) like to see if saved for special issues, anniversaries, etc.

Chris

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

One thing we can all agree on, the variant covers up to this point have looked sweet!

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

cjv wrote:Dino says Valiant doesn't want to go crazy with variants.

I suppose that depends what you mean by "crazy". Yes, there have been more variants than normal comics so far. Yes, we have not seen a single issues without a variant.

Compares to Valiant of old, that is "crazy". Is that crazy compared to comic book companies these days? I honestly don't know, I am asking. I just started ordering new comics two months ago.

I see 10 covers with Walking Dead 100. I see other titles (Massive, Mind MGMT, and Mind the Gap) with variants for every issue.

For a new company, launching new titles, I can see what Valiant is doing. We have discussed to death the economics of it. So how much is it really standing out as "more" variants than other companies - especially other indie companies with which we really should compare them.

It is still too early IMO to say that have gone crazy. The signs are not great (for reasons listed above) but we are only in the second month of releases. Let's see what happens by the end of the year.

In the meantime, it does mean that many fans/collectors will get tired of collecting them, however. I can't spend an extra $60 to $80 each month just to get variant issues, no matter how much I want. So I won't. While Valiant does have me somewhat wary, I am not ready yet to say that they have absolutely gone crazy. Let me wait till August, and see what the solicitations are then, and I think it will be easier to see. For everyone's sake, I hope they do slow down, and don't feel the need to do a variant for every issue for every month. Even if they slow down to one title per month or something, I would be fine with that.

But I would (in general) like to see if saved for special issues, anniversaries, etc.

Chris
It's MUCH more than other companies. You mention Walking Dead 100. That's an anniversary issue celebrating the success of the book. And it's going to sell gangbusters. You mention Mind the Gap. Those are 50/50 splits.

They've pretty much gone crazy on the variants.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

FormerReader wrote:One thing we can all agree on, the variant covers up to this point have looked sweet!
Eh. I disagree.
ASM Crossover Home

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

I think X-O 5 will be the grand finale to the summer of Valiant... after that it will be standard 1:20 variants line-wide, though I'd love for that to stop.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

400yrs wrote:
FormerReader wrote:One thing we can all agree on, the variant covers up to this point have looked sweet!
Eh. I disagree.
Yeah, I didn't care for X-O #1 pullbox variant cover, nor the Bloodshot #1 1:50. Many of them look okay, but not $20+ okay. I do like Aja, Harby #1 1:20, and the QRs, that's about it for me so far. The others just look too normal, a variant should be special IMO.

Aram
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

etos45 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Eh. I disagree.
Yeah, I didn't care for X-O #1 pullbox variant cover, nor the Bloodshot #1 1:50. Many of them look okay, but not $20+ okay. I do like Aja, Harby #1 1:20, and the QRs, that's about it for me so far. The others just look too normal, a variant should be special IMO.
I didn't care for the X-O pullbox either... but now I'm loving the 3rd print pencil cover! So... I'm guessing it's just the coloring I didn't like.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I have been a collector for about 25 years or so... and other than some silliness in the 90's [yup, still have a ton of X-men #1's] I really don't get into variant cover collecting. It just doesn't appeal to me.

But I have to say, I am really impressed with *most* of the variants coming out for each new Valiant title so far. I am over-dosing on excitement over the high level of quality all around so far, and I am actually making an attempt to grab the variants I like for the sake of the art, not the collectibility/rarity or value [with the exception of the QR's - I really like the concept of them]. By far, my favourite one to date is the Braithwaite Harbinger #1, and I snagged it for $10 at my shop. I won't spend silly money to get them, but I can't complain about that price too much.

I managed to get the X-O QR for $30, but my LCS didn't order enough Harbinger to get one. I refuse to pay $50+ for that one via ebay, so I will miss out on it. That may be the only one I am actually upset to any degree over [and thats a slight degree there].

I just can't see myself going bananas and trying to be a completionist. I don't like some of the art, so its that easy to not care about those ones - X-O 3 & 4, Bloodshot #2 - so far I don't care for those variant drawings. Not gonna miss getting them.

The amount of variants is becoming a bit troubling to me, mainly as I hate to see other true fans getting upset about feeling compelled to try and buy everything according to their own personal enjoyment of the hobby, or feel like the versions they DO get are somehow cheapened [and I can understand that point of view too]. I want to see this re-launch kick all kinds of Marvel & DC butt - those guys don't really deserve to be top-dogs anymore, the way they've been behaving lately. I don't want to see the Valiant ship get sunk fresh off the dock over a peripheral facet of the hobby like variant collecting, not when it carries the promise of an incredibly awesome, cohesive superhero-verse filled with such high quality story-telling.

It won't make me stop trying out every new title & sticking with the best ones , but it seems a bit over the top. The 4 variants celebrating Ninjak's 1st appearance in particular seems too much.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

etos45 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Eh. I disagree.
I think *most* of them are pretty awesome. I like all 10 covers in total released to date for the 3 issues out. The upcoming Bloodshot 1:50 is the Ribic cover, no? I really like that one too. I don't think I'll be getting it though, as my LCS already hasn't ordered enough to get it. And, apparently, once they place their initial orders, the variants get locked in - if they bump orders up later, they won't qualify for variants...

Can't wait to see what Neil Adams is doing for the A&A 1:100, though again it'll be a long shot in hell that I'll see one at my store.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Aram wrote:
etos45 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Eh. I disagree.
I didn't care for the X-O pullbox either... but now I'm loving the 3rd print pencil cover! So... I'm guessing it's just the coloring I didn't like.
It's definitely the coloring. I remember they had an early solicit where the pink was blue and it look a LOT better. There may have been other changes, but I know that was one of the biggies.

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

There is an Archer and Armstrong 2 variant, Bloodshot 3 variant, and XO 5 variant (all coming out in Sept). Presumably Harbinger will not be the odd man out.

Yet again a variant for each title released in a month. I am still going to give them one more month before I call them "variant crazy" though.

I wonder if by saying "they don't want to go variant crazy", Dino meant not having huge numbers of variants for each issue?

Chris

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

cjv wrote:There is an Archer and Armstrong 2 variant, Bloodshot 3 variant, and XO 5 variant (all coming out in Sept). Presumably Harbinger will not be the odd man out.

Yet again a variant for each title released in a month. I am still going to give them one more month before I call them "variant crazy" though.

I wonder if by saying "they don't want to go variant crazy", Dino meant not having huge numbers of variants for each issue?

Chris
That's exactly what he means...IMO
Spooooon!!!!

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

The publisher does understand that we're fans of Valiant Comics, not variant comics, right?

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Anyone notice how many variants Marvel has been doing for each issue of Avengers vs. X-Men?
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

sonicdan wrote:Anyone notice how many variants Marvel has been doing for each issue of Avengers vs. X-Men?
DAN
Or, more generally, how many variants EVERY company is doing for almost EVERY book?
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Agreed. Variants are a fact of life right now in the industry, and Valiant can't afford to not fall in line (for now).

I will bring up the interview with CBR yesterday where Dino gave mad props to all the hardcore valiant fans for supporting the relaunch over the years and in recent weeks. But he also said this relaunch was developed for the 80% of consumers who know little to nothing about Valiant going into this. I think the variants are an example of this.

Most of the other 20% who are represented here are upset by them, but we are not necessarily the target of these covers. Paradise has mentioned numerous times why variants are targeted at retailers...to increase orders. That means more books on the shelves to reach consumers old and new.

Some will claim having too many books left on the shelf is a bad thing, but not everyone who buys comics shows up on Wednesday at 10 AM to do so. I was at my LCS last week and the 20 or so XO #1s that were left on the shelf after the launch was down to 6. News has to spread, and then the product needs to be available to those who want it, whether it's the left over first printings or the reordered second or third.

VEI (IMHO) shouldn't give a lick if a book is worth $50 in 5 years, only that they are still in business selling copies of XO #50 by then. LONG LIVE VALIANT!
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

BugsySig wrote: VEI (IMHO) shouldn't give a lick if a book is worth $50 in 5 years, only that they are still in business selling copies of XO #50 by then. LONG LIVE VALIANT!

qft :thumb:

tevans333
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tevans333 »

I heard something about a 1:100 gold XO #5 variant? Anyone know more about this? September is going to be a busy month for the completionists...

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

tevans333 wrote:I heard something about a 1:100 gold XO #5 variant? Anyone know more about this? September is going to be a busy month for the completionists...
I'll be retiring as a completionist in August...
Spooooon!!!!

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

tevans333 wrote:I heard something about a 1:100 gold XO #5 variant? Anyone know more about this? September is going to be a busy month for the completionists...
Awe *SQUEE*.

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger

Post by Zaphod »

sonicdan wrote:Anyone notice how many variants Marvel has been doing for each issue of Avengers vs. X-Men?
DAN
not me. I gave up on Marvel 2 decades ago. Valiant was successfully the alternative to Marvel & DC for many years for a reason.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

tevans333

Post by tevans333 »

Zaphod wrote:
DAN
not me. I gave up on Marvel 2 decades ago. Valiant was successfully the alternative to Marvel & DC for many years for a reason.
BINGO!

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

tevans333 wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
DAN
BINGO!
Double ditto.

I am happy not knowing what in the heck is going on with nearly any comic outside of Valiant and Acclaim over the last fifteen years - excepting the run on Black Panther, which I stumbled onto via Quantum & Woody.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

kevinbastos wrote:
tevans333 wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
DAN
BINGO!
Double ditto.

I am happy not knowing what in the heck is going on with nearly any comic outside of Valiant and Acclaim over the last fifteen years - excepting the run on Black Panther, which I stumbled onto via Quantum & Woody.
You and I are kindred spirits...hence my user name :thumb:
Spooooon!!!!