Why...just tell me why

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

VEI Reborn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Why...just tell me why

Post by VEI Reborn »

Not sure where to put this so excuse me if this is the wrong section....

I know we have all had this happen. I know we all beatch about it. I know we all hate it. So how in the heck can we stop it?

What is the IT I speak of? The IT is the freaking comic shippers that dont protect the comics that they are shipping. I just had a lot of 30 books arrive and they are all damaged. Im sure some of you know when Im in the buying mode that I buy a ton of books. I am in one of those modes and 3 out of my last 10 transactions have gotten damaged from near ZERO protection.... thats 3 transactions in a week that came in damaged. If something is protected and it gets damaged that is one thing. Its the fockers that toss 30 books into a bubble envelope with no other protection that *SQUEE* me off. Or send $300 in rarer [sp?] books in a box that is too big with one piece of tissue paper to protect them.

What can we do people? Should I start an online petition to start listing sellers that do this crap in hopes that those sellers will be embarrassed and take the 3 freaking minutes it would take to at least sandwich the comics in cardboard? Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! So frustrating

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
Re: Why...just tell me why

Post by FormerReader »

VEI Reborn wrote:Not sure where to put this so excuse me if this is the wrong section....

I know we have all had this happen. I know we all beatch about it. I know we all hate it. So how in the heck can we stop it?

What is the IT I speak of? The IT is the freaking comic shippers that dont protect the comics that they are shipping. I just had a lot of 30 books arrive and they are all damaged. Im sure some of you know when Im in the buying mode that I buy a ton of books. I am in one of those modes and 3 out of my last 10 transactions have gotten damaged from near ZERO protection.... thats 3 transactions in a week that came in damaged. If something is protected and it gets damaged that is one thing. Its the fockers that toss 30 books into a bubble envelope with no other protection that *SQUEE* me off. Or send $300 in rarer [sp?] books in a box that is too big with one piece of tissue paper to protect them.

What can we do people? Should I start an online petition to start listing sellers that do this crap in hopes that those sellers will be embarrassed and take the 3 freaking minutes it would take to at least sandwich the comics in cardboard? Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! So frustrating

I am with you one this one. To make it even worse they will act insulted when you mention it and then you'll get the I've been doing this for years with no complaints response.

VEI Reborn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by VEI Reborn »

FormerReader wrote:
VEI Reborn wrote:Not sure where to put this so excuse me if this is the wrong section....

I am with you one this one. To make it even worse they will act insulted when you mention it and then you'll get the I've been doing this for years with no complaints response.

Yep. Ive gotten that a lot as well. The latest batch [30 books I spoke of] I got for dirt cheap. I basically just said....PLEASE start packaging better, take the few minutes to do it right and have a nice day

bosco685
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by bosco685 »

Odd. My buyers don't have that experience.

But then again, they communicate - follow through and pay - come back for more. Weird.

:P

VEI Reborn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by VEI Reborn »

bosco685 wrote:Odd. My buyers don't have that experience.

But then again, they communicate - follow through and pay - come back for more. Weird.

:P

Lol. :kidaround:

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

There was a site where someone demonstrated how to properly pack comics. I don't recall what it is. Back when I did a lot of selling I had someone say I should give lessons on packing.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:There was a site where someone demonstrated how to properly pack comics. I don't recall what it is. Back when I did a lot of selling I had someone say I should give lessons on packing.
I saw it here in the auction section 4-6 weeks ago.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Why not offer to bump up payment a few bucks if they'll promise to ship in a priority box. Maybe even send a picture of what you're expecting when it arrives. If ya don't ask, ya don't get (sometimes). :twocents:

And leave negative feedback for anyone that ships poorly. That'll get his attention.

SnotDrip
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

jmatt wrote:
Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:There was a site where someone demonstrated how to properly pack comics. I don't recall what it is. Back when I did a lot of selling I had someone say I should give lessons on packing.
I do recollect seeing it here but I found one here http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... ost3377506

bosco685

Post by bosco685 »

SnotDrip wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I do recollect seeing it here but I found one here http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... ost3377506
Yup. Gav/Boozad spent some time putting that together. It is too easy to pack books safely.

SnotDrip
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

bosco685 wrote:
SnotDrip wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Yup. Gav/Boozad spent some time putting that together. It is too easy to pack books safely.
Great job they did :thumb: ...not as funny though as the thread on how to put together a comic box

bosco685

Post by bosco685 »

:lol:

iwantvaliant

Post by iwantvaliant »

Because people are lazy, and they suck.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

R Daneel
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger
Why...just tell me why

Post by R Daneel »

it happens with everything. doesn't matter how much you plead and talk to people about it ahead of time. some people are just retarded.

I had been searching my entire adult like for a particular SI without a mailing label and I finally found it on eBay. I explain to the seller the usual please I will pay extra for good packaging ... the idiot literally wraps it in
cellophane and put it in a manilla envelope. It was totally trashed.

I have a dozen stories like that - comics, sports pennants and other collectibles. ARRRRGH!!

MrBigFeathas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by MrBigFeathas »

I always pack my books the same way I would want them packed as a buyer. I'd say 25% of the time things aren't packed how I would expect.
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

MrBigFeathas wrote:I'd say 25% of the time things aren't packed how I would expect.

I would agree with that number.

bosco685

Post by bosco685 »

FormerReader wrote:
MrBigFeathas wrote:I'd say 25% of the time things aren't packed how I would expect.
I would say the % of bad packaging transactions is most probably higher. You just have a lot of folks out there that are probably numb to the fact the book they just received in an envelope with backing boards for "protection" with crushed corners really isn't really a fantastic experience. Otherwise, how could so many bad sellers on Ebay have all those 100% feedback ratings?

The worst packing I ever experienced on a single book ended with amazing results. There was an Aliens 1 (1988 series) advertised as NM-/NM on Ebay, with a comment the seller packed securely. I bought and paid for the book (including $4 shipping), and two weeks later the book arrives via USPS First Class mail. He inserted this gorgeous comic in an envelope with two pieces of backing boards, and folded the envelope over to the exact size of the comic. So it should have arrived horribly mangled. I was just blown away there was not one bent corner, nor any folds of any kind. The book ended up as a CGC 9.8 with White Pages.

:banana:

When I asked the seller about the secure packaging, he came back with the super news he used to mail all his comics just in an envelope, and now added two backing boards for better support.

facepalm

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

bosco685 wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
I would say the % of bad packaging transactions is most probably higher. You just have a lot of folks out there that are probably numb to the fact the book they just received in an envelope with backing boards for "protection" with crushed corners really isn't really a fantastic experience. Otherwise, how could so many bad sellers on Ebay have all those 100% feedback ratings?

The worst packing I ever experienced on a single book ended with amazing results. There was an Aliens 1 (1988 series) advertised as NM-/NM on Ebay, with a comment the seller packed securely. I bought and paid for the book (including $4 shipping), and two weeks later the book arrives via USPS First Class mail. He inserted this gorgeous comic in an envelope with two pieces of backing boards, and folded the envelope over to the exact size of the comic. So it should have arrived horribly mangled. I was just blown away there was not one bent corner, nor any folds of any kind. The book ended up as a CGC 9.8 with White Pages.

When I asked the seller about the secure packaging, he came back with the super news he used to mail all his comics just in an envelope, and now added two backing boards for better support.

facepalm
That is amazing luck!

zoso20
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by zoso20 »

bosco685 wrote:
FormerReader wrote:

facepalm

About half the stuff I get arrives in the dreaded fortified envelope......including a slab :o ......I have been very lucky recently and all of this stuff arrived undamaged but I still cringe when I see the envelope on my doorstep or even worse....shoved in my mailbox.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

I just recently posted a similar guide on facebook. You can check it out here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 698&type=3