The Walking Dead #100 *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Uhm....wow. I did not expect that. I think this book is starting to get really dark for me. At first I thought a lot of stuff like this was to show just how the tone of this book was going to be, but now I'm not so sure. It's getting REALLY dark.
I really thought Glenn would be one of the last to be killed off, but Kirkman has always said that NO ONE is safe. And the brutality of his death was sick.

Spagg
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Spagg »

I hear ya. I am still in shock honestly. That story really disturbed me. Not to mention Glen has always been one if my favorite characters.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.
Re: The Walking Dead #100 *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Post by steverino »

Is it really a spoiler if one such as myself had no intention of ever reading the book?

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

So Rick's going to Memphis to get "Lucille" off the wall of BB King's. Little barb-wire around the body and it's one helluva fight.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

Spagg

Post by Spagg »

Lol!! I hear ya!!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Spagg wrote:I hear ya. I am still in shock honestly. That story really disturbed me. Not to mention Glen has always been one if my favorite characters.
I'm still pretty disturbed by it too. I've seen others mention they are getting numb to this stuff in the book, but I'm not. That was a powerfully emotional scene that played out... The last page in particular really got to me, with his body lying there...

I still felt, reading through it the first time, that Rick can handle Negan - that Negan has seriously underestimated what Rick will be capable of. I'm only concerned about how outnumbered they may be, I really hope they can still get a chance to start manufacturing some ammo...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

grendeljd wrote:
Spagg wrote:I hear ya. I am still in shock honestly. That story really disturbed me. Not to mention Glen has always been one if my favorite characters.
I'm still pretty disturbed by it too. I've seen others mention they are getting numb to this stuff in the book, but I'm not. That was a powerfully emotional scene that played out... The last page in particular really got to me, with his body lying there...

I still felt, reading through it the first time, that Rick can handle Negan - that Negan has seriously underestimated what Rick will be capable of. I'm only concerned about how outnumbered they may be, I really hope they can still get a chance to start manufacturing some ammo...
At this point, watch Kirman kill off Rick and try to sell Negan as the new centerpiece of the series.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

xodacia81 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

At this point, watch Kirman kill off Rick and try to sell Negan as the new centerpiece of the series.
:lol: at that point, Kirkman would be 'jumping the shark', never mind bringing in the aliens :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

grendeljd wrote: I'm still pretty disturbed by it too. I've seen others mention they are getting numb to this stuff in the book, but I'm not. That was a powerfully emotional scene that played out... The last page in particular really got to me, with his body lying there..

How long have you been reading it? This was virtually the same scene as the issue with Tyrese but with Negan instead of the Governor.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

xodacia81 wrote: At this point, watch Kirman kill off Rick and try to sell Negan as the new centerpiece of the series.
I was kind of hoping he would go that route.

Years ago, he always said that this was "Rick's story" but that was when the story first started. He has backed off that stance noticeably over the years.
ASM Crossover Home

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

400yrs wrote:
grendeljd wrote: I'm still pretty disturbed by it too. I've seen others mention they are getting numb to this stuff in the book, but I'm not. That was a powerfully emotional scene that played out... The last page in particular really got to me, with his body lying there..

How long have you been reading it? This was virtually the same scene as the issue with Tyrese but with Negan instead of the Governor.
The first 'floppy' I started with was #18... I agree, man - its a similar scenario as with Tyrese, but honestly my heart was racing, reading through both of those scenes. Maybe a little moreso when it was Tyrese, but this was still impactful, IMHO.

These are just characters in a story, but I like to get absorbed in good stories, and thinking of that kind of violence being visited upon someone is disturbing to me.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch for Rick & co. to run into another 'governor' personality type in their world... I'll still reserve personal judgement on whether it's a bad rehash of the Woodbury storyline until the story unfolds from here.

Lightning Strike

400yrs wrote:

Not at all. Tyrese's death was quick and painless. Glenn's was slow and and very painful I would imagine. Not to mention quite disturbing.

Lightning Strike

grendeljd wrote:
400yrs wrote:

The first 'floppy' I started with was #18... I agree, man - its a similar scenario as with Tyrese, but honestly my heart was racing, reading through both of those scenes. Maybe a little moreso when it was Tyrese, but this was still impactful, IMHO.

These are just characters in a story, but I like to get absorbed in good stories, and thinking of that kind of violence being visited upon someone is disturbing to me.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch for Rick & co. to run into another 'governor' personality type in their world... I'll still reserve personal judgement on whether it's a bad rehash of the Woodbury storyline until the story unfolds from here.
We all know that Rick is going to make good on his promise to kill Negan, it's just a matter of how long before he does it.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

grendeljd wrote:I really hope they can still get a chance to start manufacturing some ammo...
Do they need some special kind of ammo? Reloading is a fairly common home practice. Even in times of such enormous scarcity, it would be fairly easy to manufacture black powder and cast lead bullets (projectiles). This sort of cartridge production would not suit most modern chamberings (an exception that comes to mind would be the .44 Mag) but older ones like .45 Colt, .45/70 and .30-30 as well as shotshell production (with a supply of used hulls) would work quite well.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

400yrs wrote:

Yep.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Lightning Strike

400yrs wrote:

And I've been reading it from the beginning

Spagg

Post by Spagg »

I've been reading Walking Dead since the beginning as well. There are similarities, but differences as well. I thought it was a very powerful scene. I wanted to read the rest of the story right after I finished 100. Not many comics do that to me these days. I usually don't mind waiting 30 days or so, but I want to read more dead right now. Also, I am invested in most of these characters. I genuinely like them and when I saw Glen getting his head smashed in I actually got sad and extremely angry. This a sign of good writing. Of course thus is all just my opinion!

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Spagg wrote:I've been reading Walking Dead since the beginning as well. There are similarities, but differences as well. I thought it was a very powerful scene. I wanted to read the rest of the story right after I finished 100. Not many comics do that to me these days. I usually don't mind waiting 30 days or so, but I want to read more dead right now. Also, I am invested in most of these characters. I genuinely like them and when I saw Glen getting his head smashed in I actually got sad and extremely angry. This a sign of good writing. Of course thus is all just my opinion!
It's a waste of a good character for nothing more than 100th issue shock value, unless it signals a real turning point.

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

I haven't been reading from the beginning, I started with issue 69 (and then bought a whack of back issues, so far I have from #'s 28-100, with only a few missing) I thought Glenn's death was a bit worse in fact than Tyreese's death. Glenn had a wife and an adopted kid and newborn on the way. That's a lot for them to lose Glenn, and while it was probably done for the shock of course, there is an emotional side to long time readers who actually care. my 2 cents.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

MarrowMan wrote:I haven't been reading from the beginning, I started with issue 69 (and then bought a whack of back issues, so far I have from #'s 28-100, with only a few missing) I thought Glenn's death was a bit worse in fact than Tyreese's death. Glenn had a wife and an adopted kid and newborn on the way. That's a lot for them to lose Glenn, and while it was probably done for the shock of course, there is an emotional side to long time readers who actually care. my 2 cents.
Glenn was actually my favorite character. His death wasn't shocking to me. I use to be in the camp who didn't understand how people thought things were getting stale, but I'm moving in that direction now. There hasn't been enough character work lately for the deaths to mean anything.
ASM Crossover Home

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:I haven't been reading from the beginning, I started with issue 69 (and then bought a whack of back issues, so far I have from #'s 28-100, with only a few missing) I thought Glenn's death was a bit worse in fact than Tyreese's death. Glenn had a wife and an adopted kid and newborn on the way. That's a lot for them to lose Glenn, and while it was probably done for the shock of course, there is an emotional side to long time readers who actually care. my 2 cents.
Glenn was actually my favorite character. His death wasn't shocking to me. I use to be in the camp who didn't understand how people thought things were getting stale, but I'm moving in that direction now. There hasn't been enough character work lately for the deaths to mean anything.
Yep. I read up through the 15th volume and found myself going "this has been pretty samey for about the last 20 issues" and it doesn't seem it's stopped.

Spagg

Post by Spagg »

If you guys don't like it that's cool. To each their own. I personally look forward to the book each month and feel 100 was a powerful issue. I don't feel it was just shock value. The story is not over yet so we really don't know what Kirkman will do with Negan.

Lightning Strike

Spagg wrote:If you guys don't like it that's cool. To each their own. I personally look forward to the book each month and feel 100 was a powerful issue. I don't feel it was just shock value. The story is not over yet so we really don't know what Kirkman will do with Negan.
The thing is, besides Rick, Glenn was probably the most popular character on the book and I'm certain he's going to get a lot of negative feedback about killing him off.

aggr1103
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by aggr1103 »

Lightning Strike wrote: The thing is, besides Rick, Glenn was probably the most popular character on the book and I'm certain he's going to get a lot of negative feedback about killing him off.
Michonne didn't like you saying that. lol

Glenn had been around since, what - issue 2 or 3? That's at least 97 issues of vested emotional interest in a character. I think some of it was shock value and some of it was story. The 100th issue had to have a seminal event.

Lightning Strike

aggr1103 wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote: The thing is, besides Rick, Glenn was probably the most popular character on the book and I'm certain he's going to get a lot of negative feedback about killing him off.
Michonne didn't like you saying that. lol

Glenn had been around since, what - issue 2 or 3? That's at least 97 issues of vested emotional interest in a character. I think some of it was shock value and some of it was story. The 100th issue had to have a seminal event.
True, Michonne could be argued as the second most popular, but like you said, Glenn has been around since the beginning. I don't want to claim I know what Kirkman is thinking, but if I had to guess, I would say he was going for shock value