MARVEL Now! And their stupid renumbering

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan
MARVEL Now! And their stupid renumbering

Post by MarrowMan »

Okay I can't even count how many Volumes Captain America, Iron Man and The Avengers have at this point. By numbering the books like so; 001 all they do is *SQUEE* me off even more,
do they really think they will make it into three digits? It would take 8 years for a title to even make it to 3 digits, and you already know what the chances of that are. facepalm

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator
Re: MARVEL Now! And their stupid renumbering

Post by ian_house »

I still don't get .1 issues so :S

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

It creates a real mess for future retrospection - it'll show how little they think of their fans someday when history tries to footnote the 'reboot/relaunch' era of the early 2000's.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Newton
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Newton »

I've gone 360 from being a Marvel guy to a DC guy in the last 10-15 years. Little Marvel does makes sense to me anymore.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I had a peek at the Iron Man NOW #1 today... I was worried that it might actually tempt me, being a huge IM fan.

But, no.

I read most of it in the shop... not impressed. >whew!< I'm finally off all Marvel books now... where's that battered fan syndrome support group, again? :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Maybe I'm nuts but I actually enjoyed The Uncanny Avengers #1.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

Cyberstrike wrote:Maybe I'm nuts but I actually enjoyed The Uncanny Avengers #1.
Ditto.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the books are bad, I just dislike the constant rebooting, renumber and utter disregard for long time readers.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

grendeljd wrote:I had a peek at the Iron Man NOW #1 today... I was worried that it might actually tempt me, being a huge IM fan.

But, no.

I read most of it in the shop... not impressed. >whew!< I'm finally off all Marvel books now... where's that battered fan syndrome support group, again? :lol:
It's down the hall, to the left, then right, then down, right and right again. You can't miss it...

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

MarrowMan wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:Maybe I'm nuts but I actually enjoyed The Uncanny Avengers #1.
Ditto.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the books are bad, I just dislike the constant rebooting, renumber and utter disregard for long time readers.
I agree... I've hated this for years. The funny thing though is that they've done it so much now since '98 that I'm becoming desensitized to it. I just buy my standard books as if they are that month's release and feel basically no excitement during a renumbering at all. I miss the days where the books were rebooted with a new creative team and the numbering still remained the same. Anyone else remember "New Direction!" or "Great Jumping On Point" and then those new team's retelling an origin and whatnot?

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

xodacia81 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I had a peek at the Iron Man NOW #1 today... I was worried that it might actually tempt me, being a huge IM fan.

But, no.

It's down the hall, to the left, then right, then down, right and right again. You can't miss it...
But if you go up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start by mistake you just get extra men
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

ian_house wrote:I still don't get .1 issues so :S
Me either. What the *squee* is a .1 issue supposed to be anyway? can anyone explain this?
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Me either. What the *squee* is a .1 issue supposed to be anyway? can anyone explain this?
Not really.

but the point of "the point" I guess is that it's supposed to be a jumping on "point" in a stand alone story with the main character doing something that is supposed to make you want to read more?
:?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

xodacia81 wrote:

But, no.

Jesus, it sounds like I'm gonna end up trapped in a dirty toilet stall in a barely lit basement where a huge guy with a strange look in his eye is gonna come out of the shadows behind me...

XO, do you work for Marvel or something?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

grendeljd wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

But, no.

Jesus, it sounds like I'm gonna end up trapped in a dirty toilet stall in a barely lit basement where a huge guy with a strange look in his eye is gonna come out of the shadows behind me...

XO, do you work for Marvel or something?
Would XO work for Marvel or would it be the huge guy with the strange look in his eye?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

I would suggest running very fast if you see any large, strange men lurking about toilets. As for Marvel...never. Not unless they paid me one billion dollars and my own private harem of Sports Illustrated swimsuit models.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

xodacia81 wrote:I would suggest running very fast if you see any large, strange men lurking about toilets. As for Marvel...never. Not unless they paid me one billion dollars and my own private harem of Sports Illustrated swimsuit models.
That sort of attitude leads to biographies nobody would want to read.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Chiclo wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:I would suggest running very fast if you see any large, strange men lurking about toilets. As for Marvel...never. Not unless they paid me one billion dollars and my own private harem of Sports Illustrated swimsuit models.
That sort of attitude leads to biographies nobody would want to read.
Money, women...I can live with nobody wanting to know, as long as I get to live it.

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

MarrowMan wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Not really.

but the point of "the point" I guess is that it's supposed to be a jumping on "point" in a stand alone story with the main character doing something that is supposed to make you want to read more?
:?

That's what the intention was but when I think about it picking up a series at number 14.1 or whatever is much more intimidating than just getting issue 14 or 15. I remember seeing the .1's in my pull box while wearing a bewildered expression. An interesting but really flawed idea.

The New 52 thing worked on me since it made me want to try out more DC titles. I went from just one DC title to five pretty fast. It's good for newbs like me but it seems like such a shame for title that's been around for so long like Action Comics or Detective Comics to go back to issue 1.

Since I'm in the process of folding my dad's comic collection into my own, reboots and odd numberings have turned into the bane of my existence...or at least my hobby.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

When I saw those .1 issues for the first time I never thought to myself hmmm this must be a good jumping on point, I just thought great another stupid *squee*ing gimmick.

PSN- gorakthebunny

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:When I saw those .1 issues for the first time I never thought to myself hmmm this must be a good jumping on point, I just thought great another stupid *squee*ing gimmick.
The IDEA behind the the point one issues are supposed to be jumping on points or the start of a major storyline, now their just another way Marvel tries to make a buck.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!