What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

MrBigFeathas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by MrBigFeathas »

I've decided to slog through and get up to date on Amazing Spider-Man (even though it's killing me). The last issue I read was before Brand New Day started, issue #545. I re-read #545 when I started and it made me sick, lol. It was pretty tough to keep going. I'm up to issue #553 and not too impressed so far. I'm really gonna try to get all the way to current but it will be hard. Mary Jane was one of my favorite characters and I really liked the fact that Pete was married.
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

MrBigFeathas wrote:I've decided to slog through and get up to date on Amazing Spider-Man (even though it's killing me). The last issue I read was before Brand New Day started, issue #545. I re-read #545 when I started and it made me sick, lol. It was pretty tough to keep going. I'm up to issue #553 and not too impressed so far. I'm really gonna try to get all the way to current but it will be hard. Mary Jane was one of my favorite characters and I really liked the fact that Pete was married.

Keep at it. There is some great stuff ahead. While there are several good arcs up until Big Time, it doesn't get a really consistent feel until Big Time at 648. There is some really good stuff in there though.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Dr. Solar wrote:
400yrs wrote:Daredevil Born Again. Excellent. I may have to get the IDW artist edition.
From what I understand, this one was IDW's fastest selling Artist Edition to date. Might want to jump on it quick if you do want to get one of these.
Thanks for the heads up. If I can get my lazy *SQUEE* to list some stuff on feebay......
ASM Crossover Home

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Reading the Marvel Fanfare trade paperback. Really neat stuff and a neat concept at the time. Hard to imagine a time when Michael Golden, P. Craig Russell, and Charles Vess were considered "fresh, new talent". Fun stuff, especially the Charles Vess Dr. Strange stories. The quality on the Michael Golden stories varied a bit, but he had a Deathlok story and an Iron Man story that were both gorgeous.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

MrBigFeathas wrote:I've decided to slog through and get up to date on Amazing Spider-Man (even though it's killing me). The last issue I read was before Brand New Day started, issue #545. I re-read #545 when I started and it made me sick, lol. It was pretty tough to keep going. I'm up to issue #553 and not too impressed so far. I'm really gonna try to get all the way to current but it will be hard. Mary Jane was one of my favorite characters and I really liked the fact that Pete was married.
I hear you, dude. I quit Spidey just after OMD but I've been slowly piecing together the BND stuff and beyond ... one of these days I'll give it a read-through but, I refuse to support the book on a monthly basis ever since they so carelessly altered 20+ years of continuity.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Doorman wrote:
I hear you, dude. I quit Spidey just after OMD but I've been slowly piecing together the BND stuff and beyond ... one of these days I'll give it a read-through but, I refuse to support the book on a monthly basis ever since they so carelessly altered 20+ years of continuity.
I don't have this history with the title you guys do but I'm loving ASM at the moment, in my top 2 or 3 books.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

ian_house wrote:
Doorman wrote:
I don't have this history with the title you guys do but I'm loving ASM at the moment, in my top 2 or 3 books.
I have to agree that it is currently one of top books out thest since "big time," as Slott became the only writer on the book. Brand new day was always hit or miss to me because they wre always changing writers.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

MrBigFeathas
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to get myself to read it. A lot of people have been telling me it's really good starting with Big Time. But I need to read all of them I can't just start there. I still need to go back and start with AF15 again someday. I haven't read them from the beginning for about 10 years now.
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Planetoid #1 from Image. I guess this was initially put out as a web comic. Sci-fi stuff really doesn't interest me in the least, but this was a pretty cool comic.
ASM Crossover Home

Tim

Post by Tim »

400yrs wrote:Planetoid #1 from Image. I guess this was initially put out as a web comic. Sci-fi stuff really doesn't interest me in the least, but this was a pretty cool comic.
It looks really good. I'm waiting on the trade, though.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Tim wrote:
400yrs wrote:Planetoid #1 from Image. I guess this was initially put out as a web comic. Sci-fi stuff really doesn't interest me in the least, but this was a pretty cool comic.
That's probably going to be the better way to read it.
ASM Crossover Home

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

400yrs wrote:
Tim wrote:
That's probably going to be the better way to read it.
I agree... I grabbed #1 as well. It was enjoyable, but a fairly simple concept so far and not particularly original. Good enough to keep reading though!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I just read Batwoman vol. 1: Hydrology hardcover this morning. I'm been pleasantly surprised by Batwoman it's story is great and the artwork is beautiful. I just wish they would Kate Kane a more natural looking skin tone that chalk white skin tone.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Just read Invincible 92. It was a solid issue, but the my favorite part of the book was when I read the letter column and noticed that I got a letter printed. First time ever.

w00t!

:clap:
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Big Red wrote:Just read Invincible 92. It was a solid issue, but the my favorite part of the book was when I read the letter column and noticed that I got a letter printed. First time ever.

w00t!

Nice! Which letter? Kirman gets tons of letters so he doesn't print everything. I think I've sent him two letters about TWD a long time ago. One was printed, the other was not.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Dr. Solar wrote:Massive 1: I like the look and feel of this book a lot. This issue was really an establishing book, established characters, setting, and situation. Not a lot of moving the plot forward. Still, I really liked this. 4 out of 5.
I liked the way the story was told. The mix of the reveal of what had happened vs. what was currectnly happening.

However, I don't really get the point of the Ninth Wave group yet. I don't think I'll pick the next few issues up immediately, but if there's a good vibe on the book, I will likely revisit it.

To describe the book, it's pretty much the typical Brian Wood post apocalyptic scenario on set on the ocean combined with Whale Wars. In fact, I'd bet like Brian Wood got this idea after watching What Wars.

BTW, if anyone is ordering anything from Midtown, they have signed copies of #1 with coa for $3.50 right now.
ASM Crossover Home

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

400yrs wrote:
Big Red wrote:Just read Invincible 92. It was a solid issue, but the my favorite part of the book was when I read the letter column and noticed that I got a letter printed. First time ever.

w00t!

Nice! Which letter? Kirman gets tons of letters so he doesn't print everything. I think I've sent him two letters about TWD a long time ago. One was printed, the other was not.
Thats cool, dudes! I have had 2 letters printed in Invincible to date... one in 84 and the other was in... 30... something...? Can't recall exactly which one.

Just grabbed and read #93 today... t'was good!

Which letters, guys?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

400yrs wrote:

w00t!

Nice! Which letter?
It's on the first page of the letter column - Keith Etheridge
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

Xtianhardy
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek

Post by Xtianhardy »

Just picked up Higher Earth #1, Extermination #1 and The Hypernaturals #1 from BOOM! Studios yesterday. Absolutely loved Extermination and I have a good feeling about The Hypernaturals. I enjoyed the art in Higher Earth but there was very little story or character development to speak of, so I'm not certain I'll continue beyond Issue #3.

Extermination and The Hypernaturals have been added to my pull list.

I've never read any BOOM! Studios books before these, but I really love the quality of the art/paper/overall design of the books.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Xtianhardy wrote:I've never read any BOOM! Studios books before these, but I really love the quality of the art/paper/overall design of the books.
The first year or so of Irredeemable is a really good run. At first it was supposed to be a 13 issue limited series but it changed to an ongoing and you can tell there was a change in the story to accommodate.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

grendeljd wrote:
Big Red wrote:Just read Invincible 92.
Just grabbed and read #93 today... t'was good!
Not too, too much happened in #93, but the book did touch on plot points that were established in issue #1 and a second that was established in issue #3. All the while, the main plot moved forward. This is exactly why I love this book.
ASM Crossover Home

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Is anyone else reading Fables in the monthly pamphlet format? This story arc is disturbing.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Chiclo wrote:Is anyone else reading Fables in the monthly pamphlet format? This story arc is disturbing.
I'm a TPB Fables type of dude.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

BTW, I've been reading some pre-unity Valiant and I just re-read XO 1 & 2 and Harby 1

:hm: :thumb:

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Chiclo wrote:Is anyone else reading Fables in the monthly pamphlet format? This story arc is disturbing.
Toyland? I've read the first 3 issues. Where it could go? If it's leading where I think, given the "prophecy" and all...it's even more frightening than first assumed. If by frightening, you mean odd and toys coming to life is disturbing, well, there's that, too.