Shadowman 1 !!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Spagg
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Re: Shadowman 1 !!!

Post by Spagg »

Absolutely loved this book! My favorite Valiant book so far!!

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

IMJ wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:
IMJ wrote:Anyone think the all black pull box variant will be a tough find in good shape? My LCS had 3, they only let me pick up two. I only pre-ordered the standard book from DCBS because the variants for this month (Iron Man #1 people) were out of control.
I managed to get 2 blackouts, one is crispy mint, the other not so much.
Be careful to look for a lot of color breaks in small amounts along the spine on this book....
The copy I picked up from my LCS today had 4 color breaking spine ticks. :!: I hope the copy I have coming from Ed looks nicer. :hope:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

IMJ wrote:Wow. Dude that's awesome for support of Valiant, but you might've spent less money simply buying the Variants either from eBay or even from DCBS rather than ordering a ton of books solely for yourself, no?
My mental math worked like this: Purchased separately, the variants would have cost around $45 for the 1:50 and $15 for the 1:20 = $60; plus eBay shipping on the 1:50 since my LCS wasn't getting one = $70.

So the 25 additional copies on a #1 release cost me an extra $15 (having spent $85 total), that works out to $1.65 per book. If I wait awhile and sell 10 regular/black combos on eBay for $12 a set = $120.

That means I get the 1:20, the 1:50 and 5 #1 copies for free and pocket an additional $35. Worst case scenario is I sell 20 at cover and still get all the books for $5.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote:
IMJ wrote:Wow. Dude that's awesome for support of Valiant, but you might've spent less money simply buying the Variants either from eBay or even from DCBS rather than ordering a ton of books solely for yourself, no?
My mental math worked like this: Purchased separately, the variants would have cost around $45 for the 1:50 and $15 for the 1:20 = $60; plus eBay shipping on the 1:50 since my LCS wasn't getting one = $70.

So the 25 additional copies on a #1 release cost me an extra $15 (having spent $85 total), that works out to $1.65 per book. If I wait awhile and sell 10 regular/black combos on eBay for $12 a set = $120.

That means I get the 1:20, the 1:50 and 5 #1 copies for free and pocket an additional $35. Worst case scenario is I sell 20 at cover and still get all the books for $5.
You're still out the time you spend listed, packing, and shipping 10 sets. And you're also ignoring eBay fees. I'd also consider the worst case as them going for less than cover, maybe $4 for the pair (unless you set the minimum at cover for both, but maybe they don't sell)
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:You're still out the time you spend listed, packing, and shipping 10 sets. And you're also ignoring eBay fees. I'd also consider the worst case as them going for less than cover, maybe $4 for the pair (unless you set the minimum at cover for both, but maybe they don't sell)
I got copies for $1.65. It's a win no matter how ya slice it. Do you really think they'll sell for only half cover price?

The worst case scenario is we're hit by an extinction-level meteor bombardment ending life on Earth as we know it. Even then I think I can get $1.65. :D

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:You're still out the time you spend listed, packing, and shipping 10 sets. And you're also ignoring eBay fees. I'd also consider the worst case as them going for less than cover, maybe $4 for the pair (unless you set the minimum at cover for both, but maybe they don't sell)
I got copies for $1.65. It's a win no matter how ya slice it. Do you really think they'll sell for only half cover price?
I took a quick look at ebay's completed auctions, and I only found one copy of one book (a Harbinger #1) that has gone for more than cover price (and only slightly more, 5 and change). I'm not counting X-O #1 2nd print (because of the low print run) or the X-O #6 variants (for obvious reasons) in this. All other sold copies went for less than cover, and many that were priced less than cover didn't sell. I think Valiant would have to pick up a lot of new readers (or rather, collectors, as new readers will have the options of TPBs to catch up) for the books to start regularly going for more than cover; a slight increase in readership is still going to leave a bunch of people with extra copies to sell, which is going to level the prices for a while, until those extra copies are sold.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Ya, very unlikely unsold copies will go for cover down the road (aside from maybe a full run). That's why LCS stores push them to the dollar bins, then 50 cent bins...1 dollar a book on an order that already made you profit is better to just sit on it.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:I took a quick look at ebay's completed auctions, and I only found one copy of one book (a Harbinger #1) that has gone for more than cover price (and only slightly more, 5 and change). I'm not counting X-O #1 2nd print (because of the low print run) or the X-O #6 variants (for obvious reasons) in this. All other sold copies went for less than cover, and many that were priced less than cover didn't sell. I think Valiant would have to pick up a lot of new readers (or rather, collectors, as new readers will have the options of TPBs to catch up) for the books to start regularly going for more than cover; a slight increase in readership is still going to leave a bunch of people with extra copies to sell, which is going to level the prices for a while, until those extra copies are sold.
Thanks for setting me straight. I won't make the mistake of buying more than one issue of each title going forward.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

I would almost bet that the x-o issue without variants would be the first to sell for more than cover. :?
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Aram wrote:I would almost bet that the x-o issue without variants would be the first to sell for more than cover. :?
I was thinking the same, as I figure that book will have the lowest total copies out there. Of course, of the existing issues, many people will have picked up multiple copies to get different versions.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

jmatt wrote:Thanks for setting me straight. I won't make the mistake of buying more than one issue of each title going forward.
How dare you spend your own money on something you want!!

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:I took a quick look at ebay's completed auctions, and I only found one copy of one book (a Harbinger #1) that has gone for more than cover price (and only slightly more, 5 and change). I'm not counting X-O #1 2nd print (because of the low print run) or the X-O #6 variants (for obvious reasons) in this. All other sold copies went for less than cover, and many that were priced less than cover didn't sell. I think Valiant would have to pick up a lot of new readers (or rather, collectors, as new readers will have the options of TPBs to catch up) for the books to start regularly going for more than cover; a slight increase in readership is still going to leave a bunch of people with extra copies to sell, which is going to level the prices for a while, until those extra copies are sold.
Thanks for setting me straight. I won't make the mistake of buying more than one issue of each title going forward.

I think it's early days yet to look at current ebay sales and predict whether the early issues will rise in price. This fansite demonstrates that once people are into Valiant they tend towards becoming 'completists'. With talk of future movie deals and the 'slow and steady wins the race' approach by Dinesh et al, I'd like to think the Valiant readership will grow steadily in the coming years...only then will we know if the early issues will rise in value? (IMO). :hope:

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I think it's early days yet to look at current ebay sales and predict whether the early issues will rise in price. This fansite demonstrates that once people are into Valiant they tend towards becoming 'completists'. With talk of future movie deals and the 'slow and steady wins the race' approach by Dinesh et al, I'd like to think the Valiant readership will grow steadily in the coming years...only then will we know if the early issues will rise in value? (IMO). :hope:
Ya, I think it's very unlikely the regular issues with print runs in the 12-20k range will go for more than cover. There needs to be a massive increase in readership for that to happen. There's just not many people buying comics these days...

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dr. Solar wrote:
jmatt wrote:Thanks for setting me straight. I won't make the mistake of buying more than one issue of each title going forward.
I understand what Ken was getting at. At the moment, issues won't sell for more than cover. That said, I still think it was a great deal and once Shadowman develops a readership there will be demand for back issues. I'm not prone to speculation, in fact I've never sold a book I bought, but I think at some point it will be possible to get cover price or better.

I mean, I bought 25 issues of Shadowman #1. But Paradise bought 4000 issues of X-O #1 and he knows the market way better than I do, so... :)

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

I understood that Ed pre-ordered 2000 copies not 4000 copies. Paradise qualified for 40 copies of the X-O QR 1:50 right?
jmatt wrote: I mean, I bought 25 issues of Shadowman #1. But Paradise bought 4000 issues of X-O #1 and he knows the market way better than I do, so... :)

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

jmatt wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:
I understand what Ken was getting at. At the moment, issues won't sell for more than cover. That said, I still think it was a great deal and once Shadowman develops a readership there will be demand for back issues. I'm not prone to speculation, in fact I've never sold a book I bought, but I think at some point it will be possible to get cover price or better.

I mean, I bought 25 issues of Shadowman #1. But Paradise bought 4000 issues of X-O #1 and he knows the market way better than I do, so... :)
Ya but Ed (along with other early retailers) were able to sell the variants high enough to pay for all the copies, so he can sell those for .50 cents a piece and come out ahead. I think you could probably get cover for more issues if you setup some runs, e.g 1-5, or 1-10, etc. People that haven't got the series, or just reading the tpbs, would be willing to grab all the issues in one shot to save on shipping..

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

GGSAE wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:

Ya but Ed (along with other early retailers) were able to sell the variants high enough to pay for all the copies, so he can sell those for .50 cents a piece and come out ahead. I think you could probably get cover for more issues if you setup some runs, e.g 1-5, or 1-10, etc. People that haven't got the series, or just reading the tpbs, would be willing to grab all the issues in one shot to save on shipping..
My comments were mostly geared towards trying to cover costs right now. Although Shadowman, by reports, seems to be selling better than the other titles did when they first hit the shelves, so who knows. But the time put into listing and shipping will never be recovered. That makes no difference now or later.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

:gossip: Blue horseshoe loves XO 4. Click.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I was glad to read this book last week and see my favorite Valiant character back in action! I was a little surprised at the ending - I agree with others that it felt a little rushed. I thumbed through the book at the LBCC and was surprised at the final page, so I knew it was coming when I finally got my hands on #1.

Overall, I like the way different tone of the book. Actually, I like the different tones of all of the books -- X-O's got the action hero vibe, A&A is the buddy book, Bloodshot is government/badass, Harbinger is the team/teenager book and now we've got the supernatural/horror book. Valiant's done a really good job of appealing to a lot of broad tastes with their launch thus far. Can't wait for Shadowman #2!
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

LABRADORIAN

Post by LABRADORIAN »

Went in to pick up my comics at the LCS and I hadnt been in all month, First comic was a 1-20 variant Shadowman 1, I don't get Shadowman at that particular store cause I get it at another but I guess they put it on my account to intice me...which it did.