Only The Valiant Podcast

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan
Re: Only The Valiant Podcast

Post by MarrowMan »

The Ultraverse was horrible horrible drek. facepalm

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
drmirage wrote:How about the long awaited 2nd episode of Only The Ultraverse! :o
I am down for it. 8-)

I'd rather have C-lo do Only the Small Press :lol:
He could for sure. The Doc could also add a bit. Me..... not so much. I could read the Princeless book DOc got for my kids and talk about that.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Elveen wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
drmirage wrote:How about the long awaited 2nd episode of Only The Ultraverse! :o
I am down for it. 8-)

I'd rather have C-lo do Only the Small Press :lol:
He could for sure. The Doc could also add a bit. Me..... not so much. I could read the Princeless book DOc got for my kids and talk about that.
nice. i love independent and small press books too. I buy a lot especially local stuff.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Rumor has it that Jonesey found a lead in finding the lost missing case of Unity Reds. :D

Seriously! I've always enjoyed Jonesey in being part of the OTV cast! We'll miss you buddy!

Thanks for all the fun times! :thumb:

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Ninjets! Lead Pipes! Variansanity!

OTV 86 is up now, with Harby #5 and X-O #6 discussion, plus some discussion and knowledge about variant covers.

Get it:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/86/

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

:clap: :D

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Great episode and fantastic job by Elveen getting the info out there about the variants
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Dr. Solar wrote:Ninjets! Lead Pipes! Variansanity!

OTV 86 is up now, with Harby #5 and X-O #6 discussion, plus some discussion and knowledge about variant covers.

Get it:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/86/
Very enjoyable episode, Elveen was bang on with his assessment of Harby 5. The story was excellent but the art was inconsistent. I can't understand why Toyo would be drawn with longer hair in some parts of the book than other parts given the character redesign reference material which must have been available?

Elveen also raised interesting points around the Vine babies that were implanted on earth and appear human. How have they re-produced over the years and who with? I've no idea, but a question for the next V-Ditti Q&A!

Chiclo and Sean were class acts as always...great work fellas!

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

one minor suggestion. if your ratings systems are going to be 4.25 out of 5...just make it out of 10 and give us a marginally useful irrational number.

8.5 out of 10 is easier to digest than 4.25 out of 5.

all y'all need to work out a cohesive grading system...you're bordering on CGC lunacy.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Zaphod wrote:one minor suggestion. if your ratings systems are going to be 4.25 out of 5...just make it out of 10 and give us a marginally useful irrational number.

8.5 out of 10 is easier to digest than 4.25 out of 5.

all y'all need to work out a cohesive grading system...you're bordering on CGC lunacy.

Seconded. A 10 point system is much better in all regards. And I'm with Elveen in that I'm too dumb for entertamos.

My favorite part of this podcast was when Dino made the surprise appearance said, "Read my lips! No new Variants!"
ASM Crossover Home

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Good work on ep. 86, guys - funny, yet solid meaty discussions on Harby 5 & XO 6...

Great segment on variants, elveen, and in a luxurious voice, no less :lol: Dino really is cool to discuss that stuff with you.

And wow, that bit about what they did with the Grimm's Fairy Tales '1 of 75' limited print editions - crazy, greedy & shameful. I know we'll never see that crap happen at Valiant as long as its run by the same peeps who have started it.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Thank you OTV! (Sean, Chiclo and Elveen) This episode has brought a lot of great information with my two favorite Valiant titles, Harbinger and X-O Manowar.

I really enjoyed the discussion with both of these issues. The discussions truly makes a great compliment to understanding books with your viewpoints.

Elveen also did a great job in answering some of the questions about variants with direct information from Dinesh.

I agree with the 1:20/1:25/1:50 variants are not available in most LCS. If you missed a limited variant during its release, they are simply not available in the wild.

On a tangent, thank you Jonesey for all your work with the OTV crew. I know he'll be back again. :O

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

I gave up on variants completely, if I can't get it for $3.99 I have no interest. I'm happy with reg issues to read, and if they all drop in Value anyway, then what's the point? I will admit, there are some variants that are clever, or by artists I like, (like the ballpoint Jeff Lemire Harbinger) <- I want that one, it's "Art" to me, and that's my only justification for wanting a Variant.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Oh, by the way lads - it occurred to me when you were discussing the Zrrcchrr sound effect that I wasn't sure of the pronunciation of Patch's last name. I had been saying it with a hard 'k' in my head. So, I tweeted him about it;
Josh Deck ‏@grendeljd
@PatrickZircher all in good fun, how is your name pronounced, good sir - would it be Zirch the Jerk or the Church of Zirch? I say the latter

PumpkinPatch Zircher ‏@PatrickZircher
@grendeljd Zircher rhymes with worker.

Josh Deck ‏@grendeljd
@PatrickZircher dang! I figured that, but I much preferred the possibility of nickname #2 - There will be a congregation after Nov7th... :D
Then I felt bad about making a potentially tasteless joke, so I DM'ed an apology to him in case I offended him;

Me;
I sincerely hope that wasn't an offensive name-joke. I'm a really big fan of your work, and you seem like a really swell fellow on Twitter

Patch;
No big deal, Josh. But it does rhyme better with worker :)

Me;
Ok cool. I get foot-in-mouth disease sometimes :) I heard a podcast today mention you, they pronounced it like church.

Patch;
I should probably go to more cons. :)

Me;
Very few people on earth would contradict that statement :D
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Newton
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Newton »

Enjoyed the discussion on variant covers a lot. I still have a lot of mixed feelings about it, but I will probably get all the variants I can at cover price and then selectively get more expensive ones I really want.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you all enjoyed this one. Elveen dropped a ton of knowledge in this one.

And thanks for the pronunciation info for Patrick Zircker.

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

Even after that loooong explanation of the variants at the end, I think the one question remains unresolved. Why did the Zircher variant get mixed up?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

MarrowMan wrote:Even after that loooong explanation of the variants at the end, I think the one question remains unresolved. Why did the Zircher variant get mixed up?
Great point, that wasn't really explained? And will the character design version hit comic shops late...they do seem to be more scarce?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:Even after that loooong explanation of the variants at the end, I think the one question remains unresolved. Why did the Zircher variant get mixed up?
Great point, that wasn't really explained? And will the character design version hit comic shops late...they do seem to be more scarce?
I think the guys at Valiant HQ have their hands tied a bit... whatever happened, they can't really go around publicly pointing fingers in the interest of maintaining good business relations. They're still in the underdog class for now despite the respectable strong start & quality books they're putting out.

Best to let the situation blow over and do whatever damage control they can. I think I've read elsewhere a number of times that they will be printing more CD covers to make up for the apparent shortage of them.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Yea, as soon as I thought Elveen was going to get to the Zircher fiasco he didn't! Maybe he was distracted by other parts of his convo like VEI making at least 1000 of every Variant?
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

grendeljd wrote: I think the guys at Valiant HQ have their hands tied a bit... whatever happened, they can't really go around publicly pointing fingers in the interest of maintaining good business relations.

Something like this.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Elveen wrote:
grendeljd wrote: I think the guys at Valiant HQ have their hands tied a bit... whatever happened, they can't really go around publicly pointing fingers in the interest of maintaining good business relations.

Something like this.

Elveen, can you confirm they will print more CD covers or didn't Dinesh clarify that point?

Cheers

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Something like this.

Elveen, can you confirm they will print more CD covers or didn't Dinesh clarify that point?

Cheers

Good question. Honestly, I don't entirely remember. I'm fairly sure that he said they would. Not 100% sure. I DO know that the CD covers were like an A or B cover. Retailers could choose what cover they wanted. There is no order number that is required.

I will double check for sure this weekend at LBCC. Maybe Doc and I can do a quick OTV session with Dinesh. And maybe Dysart too.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Elveen wrote:Maybe Doc and I can do a quick OTV session with Dinesh. And maybe Dysart too.
This seems likely :)

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Dr. Solar wrote:
Elveen wrote:Maybe Doc and I can do a quick OTV session with Dinesh. And maybe Dysart too.
This seems likely :)

I love the can do attitude.