What is this variant cover mess?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

spong107
Working on the first full appearance of me
What is this variant cover mess?

Post by spong107 »

So I've been back into collecting comics again after nearly 17 years. I've been reading the new Valiants and other comics for about a month and a half now, and I'm noticing that variant covers are the new thing now? There's ratios like 1:25, 1:50, 1:100 etc. Those I can understand, they are small incentives, maybe... even rewards for retailers to order more.

What I don't understand are the pullbox variants (PB) that Valiant has. Are those for retailers or for the fans? I was under the impression that fans who open a PB at their local comic shop (LCS) can order them by filling out a form, and get them for cover price.

Well, the LCS I have a PB at doesn't have these forms. Many LCSs in my area, Los Angeles, does not have such a form.

One shop I spoke to said it's actually a separate line item when he orders, so he just orders a bunch and puts them out for sale-- which ends up being the shop I also go to besides the one I have a PB at. This shop I really like because they put all variants out equally for everyone to get.

What irritates me a bit is that the shop I have a PB at actually marks up the price of all variant issues, PBs too if they have any. I feel as though they are being dishonest. If it's true that they can order just as many PB variants as regular issues-- I think to myself, why should I do business here when another LCS a little further away puts all PB variants out equally for everyone?

I understand that the idea of variant covers can be a game-- a chase to get 'em all. But at the same time, it's turning me away from LCSs if I can't find them or have to visit several shops, or eventually having to turn to the Internet/eBay to find them.

Especially with these PB variants! It doesn't seem to be a ratio to which they can be found in orders, they can be ordered as a line item!

I don't mind price markups if it's truly rare, say a 1:25, 1:50 ratios. Or even for comics that sell well, low supply, high demand. Fine. But artificially creating low supply at a retailer level I don't like.

I want LCSs to do well. I want Valiant to succeed as a business.

But I wonder how LCSs are going to do well if someone like me would rather go to another LCS because they can order the comics in larger quantities that will give them more variants (PBs included)? Or even fans who turn to eBay/forums instead of buying locally?

I would think that this PB program was created to have Valiant fans open a pullbox at a LCS. It would help both a small business and Valiant. But now I see potential abuse and would rather take my money elsewhere.

Or... maybe this is just me at this one LCS I opened a pullbox at. Anyone else have troubles at their LCS?

UPDATE:
Just wanted to add that variants have been around for a while, even when I read comics in the 90s. But it's a real big thing now as I see sections, walls, shelves, cases dedicated just to variant covers. In the hey-day of when I read comics a lot in the 90s, the stuff that would normally occupy this space was either old comics, or comics that were simply in high demand, low supply. It does feel a little sad that all I see now are variants up on the walls. These variants off the bat are meant to be low supply.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Re: What is this variant cover mess?

Post by ckb »

Yes, do not buy the pullbox variants at more than cover.

VEI messed up a bit here by marking these "Variant cover" in the UPC box, same as they do with the limited variants. (Not that I have a good solution.) Many shops cannot be bothered to know what is going on with them. I'd suggest you point this out to the manager/owner, but I know the likelyhood of him listening to you is about as likely as being struck by lightning.

Man Of The Atom
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite artist: Ramon Villalobos

Post by Man Of The Atom »

All of the local comic shops around me and others that I have been to always put the regular cover and the pull box cover on the shelves in a 1:1 ratio at cover price ( $3.99 ). You shouldn't pay more than cover for either the regular or the pull box cover.

You should mention to your lcs that they are the only people charging more than regular price for the PB covers. They could easily do some research that would show them that they are over charging for the PB books.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

ckb wrote: VEI messed up a bit here by marking these "Variant cover" in the UPC box, same as they do with the limited variants.

Yep. There are shops out there (like mine), that if they see variant there at all, it's getting marked up. End result is that I don't get them.
ASM Crossover Home

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

I am really sick of the need for variants on every issue. I went through my check list of new Valiant books and found that I am missing 46 covers.

Unless you have an comic shop with an 'in' with valiant its near impossible to get them.

I would be much simpler to do 50/50 variant splits.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

See if paradise comics is within your area they are north side. I stopped by on my way through last month and they were all very nice there. Ed, one of the owners is active here as well.

Edit* oh and get a slice of movie star approved pizza from amores next door... The all meat was delicious! ;-)
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

x-omatic wrote:I am really sick of the need for variants on every issue. I went through my check list of new Valiant books and found that I am missing 46 covers.

Unless you have an comic shop with an 'in' with valiant its near impossible to get them.

I would be much simpler to do 50/50 variant splits.
Your best off at this point is go after the variants of maybe just one title, or two titles that you care the most about. That's what I'm doing (and I'll grab the others if I can get em cheap!).

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

Midtown comics has some..You can even order them online. :thumb:

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I just grab whatever variants I can get for cover price or less. Why sweat it if you still get to read the books :?
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:I just grab whatever variants I can get for cover price or less. Why sweat it if you still get to read the books :?
That's as easy as telling a crack addict to put down his pipe! :lol:

spong107

Post by spong107 »

Aram wrote:See if paradise comics is within your area they are north side. I stopped by on my way through last month and they were all very nice there. Ed, one of the owners is active here as well.

Edit* oh and get a slice of movie star approved pizza from amores next door... The all meat was delicious! ;-)
I have checked out Paradise Comics, both locations. I like the place(s). But it's not quite 'local' for me to go to every week. Maybe once a month, but I need my fixes on Valiant almost every week!

Paradise Comics is big, yet, the folks that work there give recommendations on what they like. To me, that's the biggest reason to shop at LCSs, if the business interacts with you as a reader and human being. I want to be asked how I like certain comics. I want to be given recommendations based on what the business thinks I would like. However, I don't want to be just rung up and pushed out the door.

I want to give small shops my business. But I don't want to have buyer's remorse when I check other LCS and find out that walk-in customers there are getting better deals than I get at the one I have a pullbox at!

Also, thanks for the heads up on the pizza! I'm a pizza enthusiast.

spong107

Post by spong107 »

carter3175 wrote:Midtown comics has some..You can even order them online. :thumb:
Yup, I'm thinking that this is where comic shopping should be done if you really want to get something. Smaller, local shops don't have the muscle to compete against chains and businesses that order in such high quantity and are able to give discounts in steps (more you order/subscribe, the more you save).

The only other place I can think of that has orders online is Mile High Comics, and they've been around forever it seems!

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Post his email on the forums we will set him strate.
You need to ask for a pull box. since most shops just order the regular the. Pull box cover should be worth more in the future. Id just buy them else where cancel your account and tell him you want them at cover price balls in your court.
I Miss the good old days.

spong107

Post by spong107 »

ckb wrote:Yes, do not buy the pullbox variants at more than cover.

VEI messed up a bit here by marking these "Variant cover" in the UPC box, same as they do with the limited variants. (Not that I have a good solution.) Many shops cannot be bothered to know what is going on with them. I'd suggest you point this out to the manager/owner, but I know the likelyhood of him listening to you is about as likely as being struck by lightning.
You are probably correct. As soon as I asked about the variant pullbox cover for a Valiant title, I was pointed to the variant comic display near the register before I could even finish my sentence. I asked them how they handled these pullboxes and was told that they only bag & board them and sell them on the display, and that they're unsure of what they have up there. Furthermore, I was given some hype on how they go so quickly and that comic fans line up outside the store at 9am on Wednesdays some time.

For these retailers, it just seems with the very mention of the word "variant", that there's scarcity-- that it's meant to be sold separately from regular issues, with some mark-up in price.

I have a feeling that I won't be having a pullbox at this LCS next week...
Last edited by spong107 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:00:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

My lcs doenst order varaints but I got the black shadowman varaint somehow anyways

jdmoonie77
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by jdmoonie77 »

I dropped my subs at my original LCS because he wanted to charge me an extra five dollars for the PB variant and twenty dollars more than market for rare variants of XO and Harby. When I addressed the PB program to him that it is a 1:1 ratio, he told me "I set the prices, you don't dictate to me what I can charge." I told him "Well I dictate whether I want to spend my money in your establishment. So goobye, I and my two buds will no longer purchase books with your establishment." The jerk then calls me 5 months later demanding I pick up my subs. I told him to go "squee" himself. My new LCS hooks me up with every variant way below market pricees, so I referred my friends and now they have Valiant subs as well!!!!

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

GGSAE wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:I just grab whatever variants I can get for cover price or less. Why sweat it if you still get to read the books :?
That's as easy as telling a crack addict to put down his pipe! :lol:
:funnypost:

Just one MORE BUMP! 1:20! 1:50! come on man!
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

jdmoonie77 wrote:I dropped my subs at my original LCS because he wanted to charge me an extra five dollars for the PB variant and twenty dollars more than market for rare variants of XO and Harby. When I addressed the PB program to him that it is a 1:1 ratio, he told me "I set the prices, you don't dictate to me what I can charge." I told him "Well I dictate whether I want to spend my money in your establishment. So goobye, I and my two buds will no longer purchase books with your establishment." The jerk then calls me 5 months later demanding I pick up my subs. I told him to go "squee" himself. My new LCS hooks me up with every variant way below market pricees, so I referred my friends and now they have Valiant subs as well!!!!
I swear some lcs have no common business sense. He still held your comics aftet 5m ?? What a moron. Does the word Customer service ring a bell to for him? Glad you found Lcs. My lcs has decent Customer service if it wasnt so close to my house I would go digital

Man Of The Atom
Favorite artist: Ramon Villalobos

Post by Man Of The Atom »

carter3175 wrote:Midtown comics has some..You can even order them online. :thumb:
spong107 wrote:Yup, I'm thinking that this is where comic shopping should be done if you really want to get something. Smaller, local shops don't have the muscle to compete against chains and businesses that order in such high quantity and are able to give discounts in steps (more you order/subscribe, the more you save).
The only other place I can think of that has orders online is Mile High Comics, and they've been around forever it seems!
You should talk to Ed ( paradise ) about a subscription with Collector's Paradise. I am pretty sure they will pull all the comics you want and ship them to you at a low rate. I don't know the details, but it might be worth it for you to check it out and better than buying from Midtown.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jdmoonie77 wrote:I dropped my subs at my original LCS because he wanted to charge me an extra five dollars for the PB variant and twenty dollars more than market for rare variants of XO and Harby. When I addressed the PB program to him that it is a 1:1 ratio, he told me "I set the prices, you don't dictate to me what I can charge." I told him "Well I dictate whether I want to spend my money in your establishment. So goobye, I and my two buds will no longer purchase books with your establishment." The jerk then calls me 5 months later demanding I pick up my subs. I told him to go "squee" himself. My new LCS hooks me up with every variant way below market pricees, so I referred my friends and now they have Valiant subs as well!!!!
Well said, man - that is awesome and hilarious!! :thumb:

Nobody has to put up with that crap, too bad the LCS idiot there doesn't realize that.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

:thumb:

That guy has bad business practices.

skot

Post by skot »

what ever just happened to having a gold issue?

i keep buying all the variants because im a *SQUEE*. i hate myself for it, but like whats been said.... crack pipe action.

i sure the market knows better then me AND all this has been worked out before. but do you really think a shop is going to buy 25 more copies just to get a 1:50?
id think they are going to buy what they can sell. why be stuck with 25 books at a 2.00 cost to sell a 1:50 for 40.00 maybe. if they sell 50 copies they will buy 50 regardless of getting a free book. i know its a bonus for them but still.
:rant: i know this can not be controlled or enforced at all but pullbox books should be for pullbox customers. every shop ive ever been to just has them all on the shelves. :rant:

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Man Of The Atom wrote:
spong107 wrote:Yup, I'm thinking that this is where comic shopping should be done if you really want to get something. Smaller, local shops don't have the muscle to compete against chains and businesses that order in such high quantity and are able to give discounts in steps (more you order/subscribe, the more you save).
You should talk to Ed ( paradise ) about a subscription with Collector's Paradise. I am pretty sure they will pull all the comics you want and ship them to you at a low rate. I don't know the details, but it might be worth it for you to check it out and better than buying from Midtown.
This is exactly what I do. Ed (Paradise here on the boards) has done a good job over the last few months since my only local comics store closed and forced me to go mail order. I've only had one hiccup with their service so far but it was resolved quickly and I have gotten everything I wanted and nothing that I didn't. They give a good discount for Valiant subscribers that are members of the boards here as well. The shipping is reasonable and I just wish I could afford to get stuff shipped twice a month so I could get my Valiant fix sooner. Waiting till the end of each month is rough, let me tell ya! :!:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

skot wrote:what ever just happened to having a gold issue?

i keep buying all the variants because im a *SQUEE*. i hate myself for it, but like whats been said.... crack pipe action.

i sure the market knows better then me AND all this has been worked out before. but do you really think a shop is going to buy 25 more copies just to get a 1:50?
id think they are going to buy what they can sell. why be stuck with 25 books at a 2.00 cost to sell a 1:50 for 40.00 maybe. if they sell 50 copies they will buy 50 regardless of getting a free book. i know its a bonus for them but still.
:rant: i know this can not be controlled or enforced at all but pullbox books should be for pullbox customers. every shop ive ever been to just has them all on the shelves. :rant:
No, you're correct the harder to find 1:50 or 1:100 linewide variants became less available after the first initial issues. Some of the bigger retailers will still get the 1:25 or 1:50 linewides, but they won't be common. Greg did a pretty good breakdown of the benefit to the retailer. The two LCS I flip between (same owner), but 2 of about 5 or 6 in the area, usually have a stack of these books on the shelf, so if they're ordering 10-15 books, it makes sense to increase the order to 20-25. If they get one or two issues, they obviously won't.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

What irritated me the most regarding the pullbox covers was this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35893&p=768927#p768927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was mentioned that... "Different stores will handle this differently but if you are planning on getting a Pullbox Variant make sure to get your Pullbox opened before the Diamond order cutoff. Before the end of March to be safe."

Reading the posts from the discussion, it appears that members wanted to reserve copies of the X-O #1 Pullbox "EXCLUSIVE" Variant. It was also advertised that "by opening a pullbox with your LCS today to become eligible for a LIMITED EDITION copy of the X-O #1 Pullbox Variant.

The Print Runs for X-O Manowar #1 according to Greg's Price Guide is:

X-O Manowar #1 Regular 29,000 copies
X-O Manowar #1 Pullbox 20,000 copies

If I am not mistaken, there is nothing limtied about the X-O #1 Pullbox Variant. Its the 3rd highest printed VEI book after the FCBD 2012 Special and X-O #1 Regular.

My LCS does not limit pre-orders on any # of Pullbox VEI Variants. This was not regulated at all. Paradise had ordered over 2,000 copies of the X-O Manowar #1. I doubt there were 800 customers who added X-O on their pull list.

At this time, you can still order the X-O #1 Pullbox for $3.39 from Midtown. (no pull box needed)

:rant:

This is a screenshot from a Diamond Retailer...

spong107 wrote:What I don't understand are the pullbox variants (PB) that Valiant has. Are those for retailers or for the fans? I was under the impression that fans who open a PB at their local comic shop (LCS) can order them by filling out a form, and get them for cover price.

Well, the LCS I have a PB at doesn't have these forms. Many LCSs in my area, Los Angeles, does not have such a form.

One shop I spoke to said it's actually a separate line item when he orders, so he just orders a bunch and puts them out for sale-- which ends up being the shop I also go to besides the one I have a PB at. This shop I really like because they put all variants out equally for everyone to get.

What irritates me a bit is that the shop I have a PB at actually marks up the price of all variant issues, PBs too if they have any. I feel as though they are being dishonest. If it's true that they can order just as many PB variants as regular issues-- I think to myself, why should I do business here when another LCS a little further away puts all PB variants out equally for everyone?

I understand that the idea of variant covers can be a game-- a chase to get 'em all. But at the same time, it's turning me away from LCSs if I can't find them or have to visit several shops, or eventually having to turn to the Internet/eBay to find them.

Especially with these PB variants! It doesn't seem to be a ratio to which they can be found in orders, they can be ordered as a line item!