What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by grendeljd »

ian_house wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I also completed my 'floppy' set of the Grant Morrison Animal Man run this past weekend... Been working on that for a couple of years, now I can finally look forward to sitting down to read it.
Winning.
Heck yes, I am!

Sometimes I can't believe how patient I've become in my 'elder years' of collecting... I have also been trying to complete a run of the Akira books for about 7 years... haven't read a single one yet and I only need #33 & #36!!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Bulletproof Coffin #1 - I didn't pick this up when it came out because the book has some of the worst covers I've ever seen. The story inside, however, was pretty interesting. If I find a cheap trade, I'll pick it up. It's about a guy who cleans out the homes of the recently deceased and keeps interesting things for himself. There's a comic within a comic as well. Pretty neat book.

Gotham City Sirens #1 - by Paul Dini. I don't know if the villain in this book was Dini's idea, but I'd like to think he wasn't. BoneBlaster may be the least original character I've seen in years. It's a blatant rip-off of Crossbones and a very bad one at that. Since I don't want to blame Dini for this, I'm going to place the blame on editor Mike Marts and will be on the lookout for his name in the future to see if the stuff oversees is similar garbage. The art was good.

Thor #615 - This comic featured pages upon pages of one character sitting at a table delivering a monologue. That's not the kind of comic I want to read. Therefore, I didn't finish it.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

grendeljd wrote: Planetoid #3 - really liked this issue, great change of pace from the 1st two.
What was different in the pacing? More words? The shop I went to was sold out.
ASM Crossover Home

Newton
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Newton »

Anyone else read the new Green Lantern Annual? Lot of interesting events in this for GL fans.

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Uncanny X-Force 29 & 30
Winter Soldier #9

:clap:

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

400yrs wrote:
grendeljd wrote: Planetoid #3 - really liked this issue, great change of pace from the 1st two.
Yeah, it may have been a bit more wordy this time, but the main difference was that 63 days pass in the story, with anywhere from a single panel representing a day up to 7 pages devoted to a single day. Pretty cool.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

grendeljd wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Yeah, it may have been a bit more wordy this time, but the main difference was that 63 days pass in the story, with anywhere from a single panel representing a day up to 7 pages devoted to a single day. Pretty cool.
That sounds neat. I'll have to track it down. :thumb:

I read Non-Player #1. I'm not a gamer at all, but this was good. Too bad the next issue won't be out anytime soon at all.
ASM Crossover Home

missjay
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by missjay »

xodacia81 wrote:
Big Red wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:
missjay wrote:There's a lot more, but here are some series I recently finished and others I'm reading...
The Umbrella Academy
I loved these books.
Ditto.
Likewise. Lots of fun, decent depth and some nifty art, to top it all off. Who knew Gerard Way really was a half-respectable writer?
That's awesome! I love Ba'-- i actually have another book of his I've been meaning to read, another I have-- but the writing isn't nearly as good as TUA.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

I picked my montly pile today, and been reading the Marvel stuff first.

Just wanted to say that "Wolverine & The X-Men" # 15 is the most sweet, adorable, cute, little thing I have read in a while. Seriously, 2 months in a row that this series got "the choke" on me. I end this book totally feeling for the kids and the tutors.
Broo is BOSS. A truly wonderful character. And Idie. Krakoa. Quintavius Quire ;), Kid Omega, Warbird, everyone of them.

Heck, even Toad shines:
That panel where Husk takes a "toadish" look and then Toad tries to disguise his emotions... now, I´m a mid-30s man, have a kid of my own, and have been in/seen stuff in real life that realy should've made me bullet-proof to moments like those. These are just comics right? Well, explain that to my (still manly) moist-filled eyes right now :)

Aaron is a master at creating /developing characters with distinct personalities. I LOVE these kids and their crazy-*SQUEE* stories, and that's why i'm still not 100% on quitting Marvel as of... NOW! facepalm

(but double shipping at 3.99 is really a b-atch to my current budget)

“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ShadowTuga wrote:I picked my montly pile today, and been reading the Marvel stuff first.

Just wanted to say that "Wolverine & The X-Men" # 15 is the most sweet, adorable, cute, little thing I have read in a while. Seriously, 2 months in a row that this series got "the choke" on me. I end this book totally feeling for the kids and the tutors.
Broo is BOSS. A truly wonderful character. And Idie. Krakoa. Quintavius Quire ;), Kid Omega, Warbird, everyone of them.

Heck, even Toad shines:
That panel where Husk takes a "toadish" look and then Toad tries to disguise his emotions... now, I´m a mid-30s man, have a kid of my own, and have been in/seen stuff in real life that realy should've made me bullet-proof to moments like those. These are just comics right? Well, explain that to my (still manly) moist-filled eyes right now :)

Aaron is a master at creating /developing characters with distinct personalities. I LOVE these kids and their crazy-*SQUEE* stories, and that's why i'm still not 100% on quitting Marvel as of... NOW! facepalm

Wow. I don't think I've ever heard anything about this series. I love Aaron, but I've yet to enjoy his super hero stuff. Sounds like I need to check this out though.

Is there a good jump on spot?
ASM Crossover Home

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

400yrs wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:I picked my montly pile today, and been reading the Marvel stuff first.

Heck, even Toad shines:

Wow. I don't think I've ever heard anything about this series. I love Aaron, but I've yet to enjoy his super hero stuff. Sounds like I need to check this out though.

Is there a good jump on spot?
There'll be a jumping point in the next month or so, when the school enters it's 2nd year. I think it's issue 18 or 19, not sure.
I'd read everything from the beginning, though (and maybe "Schism" just so you can understand the division between the mutants). It's truly a wonderful comic.
If
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just started re-reading Sojourn by Crossgen.
It is better than I remember. The visuals of the book is off the charts.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Elveen wrote:I just started re-reading Sojourn by Crossgen.
:thumb:

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

I'm picking up the second print of Hawkeye #1 tomorrow. I hope it's as good as the reviews say it is. I loved Fraction and Aja's pairing in The Immortal Iron Fist.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Elveen wrote:I just started re-reading Sojourn by Crossgen.
:thumb:
I've been meaning to check out the Crossgen stuff for years... it all looks like high quality stuff.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Silk Spectre #1 and #2. Every single one of the Before Watchmen that I've read, I've really enjoyed the first issue and then found the second issue a bit underwhelming. That makes me doubt they will stick the endings on these. I'm out.
ASM Crossover Home

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

grendeljd wrote:
SJS4 wrote:This weekend I read...

John Byrne's 2112 (Prelude to Next Men) and John Byrne's Next Men 0-30: This was some really good stuff...made me remember why I was such a huge John Byrne fan back in the 90's. I am curious to see how the IDW series take off from this one. In the letter's page of issue 30 JB said that his plan was take takeJBNM in a completely different direction (and was even considering changing the title) so I don't expect it to be more of the same.

Saga 1-6: Very good story, love the art. I added this comic to my pull list (an picked up 1-2 as back issues) after seeing it recommended here.
Oo!! I still haven't read 2112... But I love the whole Next Men series. The IDW books are good, though I felt it ended a bit soft... Well worth reading, I was very happy he revisited the title.
So I finally read JBNM #31-44. Was kind of all over the place and tough to follow...not nearly as good as the original run IMHO. Still, it was nice to see the story "wrapped up" for the most part, although I guess its still open enough that he could revisit it again in the future if he wants.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

Newton

Post by Newton »

Let me know what Crossgen books are worth reading. I too have thought about checking those out for a long time.

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

Newton wrote:Let me know what Crossgen books are worth reading. I too have thought about checking those out for a long time.
The best books are:
Negation (Mark of Charon and the Negation War, although it was never finished)
Sojourn
Ruse
Scion
Sigil
Meridian
Solus
Crux

The rest were okay, but not great

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

I stopped reading comics and am getting rid of my collection.

All 6000+ of it. :)

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Newton wrote:Let me know what Crossgen books are worth reading. I too have thought about checking those out for a long time.
The best books are:
Negation (Mark of Charon and the Negation War, although it was never finished)
Sojourn
Ruse
Scion
Sigil
Meridian
Solus
Crux

The rest were okay, but not great
First I'll say..... Crossgen are overall, the best looking universe out there. amazing visuals.

My list:

Ruse #1-12 (the Mark Waid run is a Top 10 all time run for me) and the rest is pretty good also.
Sojourn
Meridian
Mystic
Negation
El Cazador
Route 666

I really like all of these.

I did not like The First. Crux and Sigil were ok, everything else is ok.

The BIG Bummer is that Negation War did not happen. they really had a lot leading up to it...... and then dead universe.

bosco685

Post by bosco685 »

Elveen wrote:The BIG Bummer is that Negation War did not happen. they really had a lot leading up to it...... and then dead universe.
:cry:

I hate when that happens.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Hawkeye #2 - While I enjoyed #1 alot, I didn't think it lived up to the hype it was getting. This issue, however, was fantastic. There is a character who I've never even heard of named Kate Bishop. She reminds me of a Layla Miller who I love. Looks like she will be the partner / relationship interest for Clint. I can't really pin down her age though. I'd like to look more into the character.

After this issue, I'm definitely on board. And the art was more cartoony and less photorealistic than #1 which I love too.
ASM Crossover Home

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Batwoman #6-11 Pretty good read but the non-linear structure of the story can be confusing. My fear of this book is that because of the critical acclaim that Williams got for his artwork that other creators who can't (either they're not able to or they don't want to) follow his style will cause this book to be doing weird kind of art and stories just because that will be what the book is known for. Also I wish they would get Batwoman out of the DEO, and stop having everybody and their bother seems to learn and know her secret identity (except Maggie and she probably suspects) that is getting silly.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

Cyberstrike wrote:Batwoman #6-11 Pretty good read but the non-linear structure of the story can be confusing. My fear of this book is that because of the critical acclaim that Williams got for his artwork that other creators who can't (either they're not able to or they don't want to) follow his style will cause this book to be doing weird kind of art and stories just because that will be what the book is known for. Also I wish they would get Batwoman out of the DEO, and stop having everybody and their bother seems to learn and know her secret identity (except Maggie and she probably suspects) that is getting silly.
I'm with you on the non-linear-ness of the 2nd arc, but Williams is back on art with the next arc, so great news. And he won 2 Harvey awards last night for best cover artist and best artist. Not that that has any bearing on the success of Batwoman's stories.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.