A VALIANT TOY LINE!!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
A VALIANT TOY LINE!!!

Post by BugsySig »

Someone posted this link over at the CBR boards and is convinced it is Bloodshot:

http://instagram.com/p/Ur6VcnmEt9

Could really be anything, but the circle behind him is reminiscent of Bloodshot/Rai, the body type and clothing seems right, and there appears to be a sword on his back...

I have no idea who this guy is who posted the pic, though I am guessing he works for a toy manufacturer.

UPDATE: Changed thread title based on latest teaser image. :thumb:
Last edited by BugsySig on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:05:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Is this a new VALIANT toy line???

Post by greg »

I haven't heard or seen anything from VEI, but whoever did that photo is evoking Rai #0. Since it's a shadow, though, it could easily be GI Joe, or The Comedian from Watchmen (another circle reference).

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:I haven't heard or seen anything from VEI, but whoever did that photo is evoking Rai #0. Since it's a shadow, though, it could easily be GI Joe, or The Comedian from Watchmen (another circle reference).
I googled the guy who posted the image and apparently he was one of the master toy designers at Hasbro on a lot of the Marvel lines, but left recently and went to a smaller company. So it's unlikely it's anything from the Big 2. Nice to imagine its VALIANT, but I'm not betting on it.

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

That certainly looks a lot like Bloodshot, there is even a faint circle on his chest that looks like it could be his red splotch. If Valiant released action figures based on their characters I would be in collector heaven and would buy everyone of them, one can only hope something like this is coming.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

greg

Post by greg »

manga4life wrote:That certainly looks a lot like Bloodshot, there is even a faint circle on his chest that looks like it could be his red splotch.
Really?!? :o

Here's the same image with adjustment to brightness and contrast.
No other alterations to the image...
(I think I see the red splotch... or I maybe just really want to see it.)

Just for comparison, an image from VEI mentioning "Spring 2013":

greg

Post by greg »

Found more on David Vonner (toy designer who posted the shadowy image)...
http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopi ... 91&t=85598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Vonner on January 5th wrote:Oh Boy! Getting ready for the "Showdown"! #ComingSoon
Along with this image:
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... c8902a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
more info after the photo wrote:And somebody asked him if he was making his own Mortal Kombat figures, to which he replied:
Vonner: .....Something much better...!
Somebody else asked him if it was Bruce Lee or Rocky, and he said:
Vonner: Neither!
"Showdown" = Harbinger Wars? :hm:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

The plot thickens... :hm:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

A toy line would be awesome. Didn't some of you guys who went to NYCC hear from Dino that they are in talks with someone to produce some figures? I seem to recall someone saying they got to talk to a toy rep guy with Dino...

I don't collect toys, but I love getting the odd one... I'd probably buy every single Valiant character they put out... Whether they do classic VH1 or 2012 VEI :thumb:

If this is a Bloodshot figure... It looks pretty cool so far!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

Imagine guys, a line of collectible action figures based on VEI's characters......

This could be the start of something wonderful, merch based upon these characters could really get the awareness out and draw in some new VEI fans!
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

I think it's wishful thinking. I would think that putting toys out at this stage would be contrary to their "slow and steady" approach.

Although I guess selling a license to a toy company doesn't really entail a whole lot of risk on VEI's part.

A Marvel Select type Bloodshot would be awesome though. It sure does look like a circle on his chest!

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

It would be cool, but I think if they bring out a toy it will coincide with a movie release. This could be an early prototype.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

pixierosa wrote:It would be cool, but I think if they bring out a toy it will coincide with a movie release. This could be an early prototype.
What she said. If they decide to do it sooner though, I'd buy em, but I'm willing to wait for the comics to grow for a few years and to see a movie trailer before I'm able to get my hands on them.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

Just posted a new thread and them stumbled upon this one.... Valiant is testing the waters for a toy line, asking supportive LCS owners if they'd buy. Mine said hell yes!
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I know they are interested in getting other types of merchandise made as well. But they are looking for significant licensing fees and that's not going to happen at this point.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

ckb wrote:I know they are interested in getting other types of merchandise made as well. But they are looking for significant licensing fees and that's not going to happen at this point.

I agree. For this reason I hope they are not putting any toys out yet.

Crow331
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Crow331 »

I dunno ... looks like Valiant action figures to me. And I think the spot light in the background is definitely an added hint.

:clap:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ckb wrote:I know they are interested in getting other types of merchandise made as well. But they are looking for significant licensing fees and that's not going to happen at this point.
Well I wouldn't expect them to give the rights away...and they have to cover their *SQUEE* in case a toy line tanks and they can't sell another decent license after.

I think a Christmas 2013 date (announcement or release) would make sense a year and half into a very successful launch.

Carson

Post by Carson »

Can't they just partner with a manufacturer and get a percent of whatever sells? If the line does well, they both make cheddar, if it doesn't, no one does. If the line fails, the rights remain with them and they can start toys again whenever with whomever else wants to partner up. That's how I'd wanna go forward with toys.

And since I'm just a huge fanboy that wants to play with Valiant toys, the sooner quality toys can be made, the better!
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Carson wrote:Can't they just partner with a manufacturer and get a percent of whatever sells? If the line does well, they both make cheddar, if it doesn't, no one does. If the line fails, the rights remain with them and they can start toys again whenever with whomever else wants to partner up. That's how I'd wanna go forward with toys.

And since I'm just a huge fanboy that wants to play with Valiant toys, the sooner quality toys can be made, the better!
I have no idea how those deals work. They could very well work that way. I am sure VEI would get an extra cut if they sell well, and the rights revert to them if the licenser pulls out.

ckb

Post by ckb »

BugsySig wrote:
Carson wrote:Can't they just partner with a manufacturer and get a percent of whatever sells? If the line does well, they both make cheddar, if it doesn't, no one does. If the line fails, the rights remain with them and they can start toys again whenever with whomever else wants to partner up. That's how I'd wanna go forward with toys.

I have no idea how those deals work. They could very well work that way. I am sure VEI would get an extra cut if they sell well, and the rights revert to them if the licenser pulls out.
The deals are usually structured with a big up front payment. Then per unit-sale royalties kick in when the number of units sold exceeds a threshhold. These agreements are sometimes exclusive, but just as often as not. So if Brand X wants to make toys and so does Brand Y, they can both get licenses. They specify what types of goods can be prodcued and X and Y's list may or may not overlap.

VEI doesn't have a mass market following enough to be asking for big fees up front. If they want to get stuff made, they are going to have to go with a token fee up front, or even a quantity of merchandise. It's too big a risk right now for makers of licensed goods. With more mass media exposure they will eventually be able to get the fees I have seen them asking for now.

Carson

Post by Carson »

ckb wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

The deals are usually structured with a big up front payment. Then per unit-sale royalties kick in when the number of units sold exceeds a threshhold. These agreements are sometimes exclusive, but just as often as not. So if Brand X wants to make toys and so does Brand Y, they can both get licenses. They specify what types of goods can be prodcued and X and Y's list may or may not overlap.

VEI doesn't have a mass market following enough to be asking for big fees up front. If they want to get stuff made, they are going to have to go with a token fee up front, or even a quantity of merchandise. It's too big a risk right now for makers of licensed goods. With more mass media exposure they will eventually be able to get the fees I have seen them asking for now.
Gotcha. That explains why Hot Toys and Sideshow are both making GI Joe 12" figures at the same time:
80's Snake Eyes and Timber: http://toyswillbetoys.wordpress.com/201 ... igure-set/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Modern movie version: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=71938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ckb wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Thanks for the insight.

I would think any initial line of VALIANT figures would be fairly limited in quantity, high in price and likely only found online or at novelty stores/LCSs. That would seem to fall under the "token up front fee" you mention as its risky for a company to try an make a profit off of.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Here is another teaser image from the same designer, David Vonner:

I think that should serve to end the speculation...but if you require more proof, Vonner posted this on twitter--his favorite letter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidVonner/ ... 1805041665

:thumb:

BugsySig
Re: A VALIANT TOY LINE!!!

Post by BugsySig »

OK, so now that its basically confirmed, I have to start speculating/wishful thinking...

10 items per series (6 individual and 2 two-packs)

Series 1:
Bloodshot
Shadowman
XO Manowar
Ninjak
Eternal Warrior
Rai (or Master Darque)
Pete & Harada (2 Pack)
Archer & Armstrong (2 Pack)

Series 2:
Timewalker
Geomancer (Kay McHenry)