What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by xodacia81 »

Notice that all these highly acclaimed titles have one thing in common: long-term planning and story-arcs that work.

That said...there is, of course, the current 5 issue arc in Chew. What this is really about, I don't know, but it's still the most entertaining book on the market.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

ian_house wrote:
400yrs wrote:Deadpool #1 - 2/5. If you like Deadpool, you'll like this. Don't buy it for the Tony Moore art alone because it's not as great as his normal stuff.

Iron Man #1 - 0/5. I didn't finish this. Terrible.

Thor #1 - 4/5. Good stuff, but not sure it's worth the $4 price tag.

Walking Dead #104 - 4/5. This is getting nuts.

Invincible #97 - 5/5. This issue ran me through several emotions. Confusion. Disgust. Laughter. Excitement. You know..... your typical issue of Invincible with many, many threads being moved along and an origin story squeezed in as well.

The Great Pacific #1 - 3.5/5. This was pretty good, but a bit vague. Not sure if I'll get the next one.
Invincible #97 - Really awesome issue. The origin and reaction's for Bulletproof were utterly insane and amazing. It's just a shame everyone is going to die in 3 issues :D

Seriously to all of the discussion about Invincible that followed it really is that good, and does take a little time to really get going maybe even 2 trades worth but it's so worth it as Kirkman creates a huge universe where all of the characters are just amazing. You know how great incidental characters are when month after month people write in to see more of minor characters (Battlebeast!!!). Can't wait for Levy's return, seriously hoping he's the major issue for 100!
Ack! Guys, spoilers please for those of us who haven't read the current issues. Thanks

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

There aren't any spoilers in there. That's just speculation and what was in the solicits. :thumb: However, Invincible does kill Carl in issue 96.
ASM Crossover Home

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Lightning Strike wrote:
ian_house wrote:
400yrs wrote:Deadpool #1 - 2/5. If you like Deadpool, you'll like this. Don't buy it for the Tony Moore art alone because it's not as great as his normal stuff.

Iron Man #1 - 0/5. I didn't finish this. Terrible.

Thor #1 - 4/5. Good stuff, but not sure it's worth the $4 price tag.

Walking Dead #104 - 4/5. This is getting nuts.

Invincible #97 - 5/5. This issue ran me through several emotions. Confusion. Disgust. Laughter. Excitement. You know..... your typical issue of Invincible with many, many threads being moved along and an origin story squeezed in as well.

The Great Pacific #1 - 3.5/5. This was pretty good, but a bit vague. Not sure if I'll get the next one.
Invincible #97 - Really awesome issue. The origin and reaction's for Bulletproof were utterly insane and amazing. It's just a shame everyone is going to die in 3 issues :D

Seriously to all of the discussion about Invincible that followed it really is that good, and does take a little time to really get going maybe even 2 trades worth but it's so worth it as Kirkman creates a huge universe where all of the characters are just amazing. You know how great incidental characters are when month after month people write in to see more of minor characters (Battlebeast!!!). Can't wait for Levy's return, seriously hoping he's the major issue for 100!
Ack! Guys, spoilers please for those of us who haven't read the current issues. Thanks
There are no spoilers there... this is also the thread for discussion of current comics there is going to be a little discussion of the actual books.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I'm behind on my new comic book reading, but I read a few things yesterday and all of it was great:

ASM 695 - 695 - More awesome Slottiness!

Swamp Thing 12 - Rotworld!

Daredevil End of Days #1 - bloody. If you liked the Bendis DD run, this is probably worth a read in trade

Saga #7 - Oh Yeah!

ASM - AF 15, #33, #50 and The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man. Classic!

No Place Like Home #5 - better late than never.
ASM Crossover Home

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

X-Factor #241-245
Captain Marvel #2-5
The Uncanny Avengers #1
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:08:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Still reading my Astro City run.

I'm in the Steeljack run and it is excellent! The Confessor story was also top notch.

I'm not going to read AS after vol 2. The Dark Age stuff was ok to not good at the end.

I should finish my AS vol 2 stuff in a few days, up next will be Justin Jordan's Strange Talent of Luther Strode.

It took me a while to find a #1, so I've been excited to read it.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

The Confessor story is the one that really won me over.
ASM Crossover Home

Lightning Strike

400yrs wrote:The Confessor story is the one that really won me over.
Same here. I was told about this story when it first came out and I actually read the Confessor story before the other issues. It was a great story.

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

400yrs wrote:I'm behind on my new comic book reading, but I read a few things yesterday and all of it was great:

ASM 695 - 695 - More awesome Slottiness!

Swamp Thing 12 - Rotworld!

Daredevil End of Days #1 - bloody. If you liked the Bendis DD run, this is probably worth a read in trade

Saga #7 - Oh Yeah!

ASM - AF 15, #33, #50 and The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man. Classic!

No Place Like Home #5 - better late than never.
I have been thinking about reading that...is it any good?

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

The first issue was pretty good. I'll probably pick up the trade down the line.
ASM Crossover Home

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

Read Punk Rock Jesus #1-5 and really enjoyed it. I was actually blown away by the story and consider it one of the better stories I have read in a long time. I will say that if you are touchy about religion/politics in comics, this series is not for you.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Rachel Rising #9-12
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Just finished my Astro City vol 2 run. The Confessor and Steeljack storyline are some of the best I've ever read. I think I enjoyed the Steeljack one a bit better.

Today I should start the Strange Talent of LS. Looking forward to it.

Lightning Strike

Elveen wrote:Just finished my Astro City vol 2 run. The Confessor and Steeljack storyline are some of the best I've ever read. I think I enjoyed the Steeljack one a bit better.

Today I should start the Strange Talent of LS. Looking forward to it.
How do you know what my strange talent is? :P

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

I've started on the All New X-Men. There's been so many story lines and whatnot with the X-Men, that I kinda abandoned them a while back. Buuuut, I've always been a fan so I decided to jump in with this new series.

It's good - if you like the traditional X-Men, I recommend picking this up. #2 just came out today. It's an interesting storyline - picks up from where Scott has escaped from prison and his team (Magneto, Emma, etc) are recruiting mutants as are the other X-Men. Rather than the traditional - go back in time and have them fix the issue in the past, the past comes forward in time to deal with their own selves. I may be adding this one to my pullbox.

Also reading Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre. After a long hiatus, #4 finally is out today. Haven't read it yet but it's been a good series.

Last week was an epic one for releases - my favorite non-Valiant title is Saga. Simply awesome.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

So, I'm jumping full force back into comics. Valiant got me into the LCS and I got a pullbox for the first time ever back around FCBD. Right now I just get Valiant and the Before Watchmen stuff. The Watchmen minis are winding down, so I need to replace those empty slots and maybe add a few more. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to add to my pullbox. Let's say 6-7 recommendations of GOOD stuff to add. I don't care if it's indie, DC, Marvel, Image, whatever, as long as it is quality. Doesn't matter if I have to catch up (Invincible - I'm going to read the first issues to see if I like it; and I just loaded my Nook up with The Walking Dead to see if it floats my boat - I really liked the first issue), in fact I would prefer books that I can consume en masse, but it does have to be awesome - no mediocre.

To help:
Favorite comic of all time - Sandman (and it's waaaay above everything else)
Love - Fables, Valiant (obviously), most Spiderman, Watchmen (The Before Watchmen is hit or miss - I'm talking Alan Moore Watchmen); Solar was my favorite VH1 title and Harbinger is my favorite VEI titile
Like - X-Men (again, hit or miss over the years)

I will mention I tried Saga, but the sex is way too over the top and gratuitous for me. I don't enjoy those kind of books. Saga is not my cup of tea, which is a shame because the story (and art) was really good. I read Bedlam #1, but I'm thinking it's dangerously close to going in the Saga category for me. As an example of what I can tolerate: Sandman sex and profanity I can put up with as it was never gratuitous. I will also mention I prefer story over art - always!

Reading this thread has just really got my interest piqued to read some more. VEI just isn't putting enough books out to satiate my hunger for comic books.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

lorddunlow wrote:
To help:
Favorite comic of all time - Sandman (and it's waaaay above everything else)
Love - Fables, Valiant (obviously), most Spiderman, Watchmen (The Before Watchmen is hit or miss - I'm talking Alan Moore Watchmen); Solar was my favorite VH1 title and Harbinger is my favorite VEI titile
Like - X-Men (again, hit or miss over the years)
We have similar tastes, although I love Saga. It is shocking at times, but apparently I'm a perv b/c it's not deterring me :oops: Sandman is one of my favorite all time comics - it's what got me into comics. I can't say enough about Neil Gaiman.

You might try Beasts of Burden. It's not new but it's Sandman's own Jill Thompson, and the story has it's own special charm. Don't discount it b/c the main characters are animals. I'm trying to get my hands on an out-of-print anthology that has all of their short stories in it. Here's a link to some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_of_Burden" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try out the All-New X-Men. It makes me feel like I'm 14 again. Classic goodness.

Manhattan Projects (Image) is unexpected and a bit warped, but a very interesting story. Recommended.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

pixierosa wrote: We have similar tastes, although I love Saga. It is shocking at times, but apparently I'm a perv b/c it's not deterring me :oops: Sandman is one of my favorite all time comics - it's what got me into comics. I can't say enough about Neil Gaiman.

You might try Beasts of Burden. It's not new but it's Sandman's own Jill Thompson, and the story has it's own special charm. Don't discount it b/c the main characters are animals. I'm trying to get my hands on an out-of-print anthology that has all of their short stories in it. Here's a link to some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_of_Burden" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try out the All-New X-Men. It makes me feel like I'm 14 again. Classic goodness.

Manhattan Projects (Image) is unexpected and a bit warped, but a very interesting story. Recommended.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check out Manhattan Projects as I remember Chiclo (or someone from OTV) going on about how crazy it was during a podcast tangent. I like trippy. I love Jill Thompson, so I may check that out. Animals as characters has never been a problem for me. Animal Farm is one of my favorite novels. I'm actually considering buying a print from Brief Lives that she posted on her Twitter. It's my all time favorite comic book page, and I would say the perfect example to show someone something that can only be done in this medium. (It's the scene after Morpheus has murdered Orpheus out of mercy.) I also attended Fiddler's Green (a convention just for Sandman) and got to meet Neil, Jill Thompson, Todd Klein (had dinner with him), Caitlin Kiernan, and Charles Vess (who is awesome to hang out with). Coolest event I've ever been to.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote: Let's say 6-7 recommendations of GOOD stuff to add. Doesn't matter if I have to catch up (Invincible - I'm going to read the first issues to see if I like it; and I just loaded my Nook up with The Walking Dead to see if it floats my boat - I really liked the first issue), in fact I would prefer books that I can consume en masse, but it does have to be awesome - no mediocre.

Chew is brilliant, start with that.

I also know that C-Lo and I are fans of Moriarty from Image.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:

I actually had no idea what Chew was about until I just Googled it -- SOLD! Has me at just the premise.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

lorddunlow wrote:
pixierosa wrote: We have similar tastes, although I love Saga. It is shocking at times, but apparently I'm a perv b/c it's not deterring me :oops: Sandman is one of my favorite all time comics - it's what got me into comics. I can't say enough about Neil Gaiman.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check out Manhattan Projects as I remember Chiclo (or someone from OTV) going on about how crazy it was during a podcast tangent. I like trippy. I love Jill Thompson, so I may check that out. Animals as characters has never been a problem for me. Animal Farm is one of my favorite novels. I'm actually considering buying a print from Brief Lives that she posted on her Twitter. It's my all time favorite comic book page, and I would say the perfect example to show someone something that can only be done in this medium. (It's the scene after Morpheus has murdered Orpheus out of mercy.) I also attended Fiddler's Green (a convention just for Sandman) and got to meet Neil, Jill Thompson, Todd Klein (had dinner with him), Caitlin Kiernan, and Charles Vess (who is awesome to hang out with). Coolest event I've ever been to.
:o :bigeyes: Very cool.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

lorddunlow wrote:
Elveen wrote:

I actually had no idea what Chew was about until I just Googled it -- SOLD! Has me at just the premise.

Chew and Invincible.
ASM Crossover Home

Lightning Strike

Just read:
-Fantastic Four #1--very good
-Indestructible Hulk #1--awesome
-Thor #1--absolutely amazing!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Elveen wrote:
lorddunlow wrote: Let's say 6-7 recommendations of GOOD stuff to add. Doesn't matter if I have to catch up (Invincible - I'm going to read the first issues to see if I like it; and I just loaded my Nook up with The Walking Dead to see if it floats my boat - I really liked the first issue), in fact I would prefer books that I can consume en masse, but it does have to be awesome - no mediocre.

Beat me to it before I could call out Moriarty.