Harbinger #10 Preview

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Harbinger #10 Preview

Post by BugsySig »

Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
Re: Harbinger #10 Preview

Post by FormerReader »

Thank you very much!

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

:clap:
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

HOLY MOLY! I started reading that preview and got to the point where Peter told Tull that big thing... and I reeled back and grabbed my head because it made sense. I spun around in my chair and didn't read further till coming back to it a few minutes later after my head was spinning... then I read what Pete told him after that and laughed out loud. I almost didn't go back to it at all and I would have been left with that impression till I got the comic in a few weeks. facepalm
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Phoenix8008 wrote:HOLY MOLY! I started reading that preview and got to the point where Peter told Tull that big thing... and I reeled back and grabbed my head because it made sense. I spun around in my chair and didn't read further till coming back to it a few minutes later after my head was spinning... then I read what Pete told him after that and laughed out loud. I almost didn't go back to it at all and I would have been left with that impression till I got the comic in a few weeks. facepalm
:lol: I had a moment there where I was like, "they wouldn't, would they?" It's overused as a joke but I really like it here!

Powerful preview. Kris is spraying bullets! Hope they have her deal with some emotional fallout from that. I don't want her to be an easy trigger puller. And what about her admission about Joe at the end?

Dysart said this preview ruins some of his best stuff by giving it away too soon, but it's so good I think it can help hook so new readers.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

pixierosa wrote:Powerful preview. Kris is spraying bullets! Hope they have her deal with some emotional fallout from that. I don't want her to be an easy trigger puller. And what about her admission about Joe at the end?
I was under the impression that the "thought box" at the end mentioning Joe belonged to Pete.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

greg wrote:
pixierosa wrote:Powerful preview. Kris is spraying bullets! Hope they have her deal with some emotional fallout from that. I don't want her to be an easy trigger puller. And what about her admission about Joe at the end?
I was under the impression that the "thought box" at the end mentioning Joe belonged to Pete.
same here...must flow to the next page...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Could be. I only read it once, but Kris was very upset to learn Joe had died, plus she took care of him after Pete left. Thought maybe she was referring to something of that time period, but it fits better for Pete since he was essentially dumped by his mother, and Kris had a loving family.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

pixierosa wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:HOLY MOLY! I started reading that preview and got to the point where Peter told Tull that big thing... and I reeled back and grabbed my head because it made sense. I spun around in my chair and didn't read further till coming back to it a few minutes later after my head was spinning... then I read what Pete told him after that and laughed out loud. I almost didn't go back to it at all and I would have been left with that impression till I got the comic in a few weeks. facepalm
:lol: I had a moment there where I was like, "they wouldn't, would they?" It's overused as a joke but I really like it here!

Powerful preview. Kris is spraying bullets! Hope they have her deal with some emotional fallout from that. I don't want her to be an easy trigger puller. And what about her admission about Joe at the end?

Dysart said this preview ruins some of his best stuff by giving it away too soon, but it's so good I think it can help hook so new readers.
You could keep the surprise by not reading the previews.

Phoenix8008
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Chiclo wrote:
pixierosa wrote:

You could keep the surprise by not reading the previews.
True. But since I can't get any of my comics till the end of the month, it'll be weeks till I get them and read them in whole. By then, it'll be a pleasant surprise to read it again and until then it builds my desire to read the rest of the comic because... if that moment was that good, then what else is in there that I haven't seen yet? For some, previews might be spoilers that are more bad than good. For me it strikes the right balance and since I'm weak-willed, I'll probably keep reading the previews. :D
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Anybody else concerned about how powerful Peter is already in this new universe?

Maybe I have to go back to the old harbinger comics and check again but i believe his power was much more limited in the early going - he was able to use his psychic powers to 'STING' his enemies - which simply incapacitated them for a moment.

In this preview - he is able to release his 'inner scream' and 'lobotomize 10 men' ... That is a sick amount of power. Harada has that same brain popping ability and it just seems a bit extreme.

It's like the Jeanie is out of the bottle - and you can't put it back. Harada and Peter are basically GOD-like with their abilities and there's not many characters in this universe that would stand much of a chance against them. I think it's a little much.

I'm eagerly anticipating the Harbinger Wars and how it shakes out... But i don't get why Peter couldn't just brain pop Bloodshot if he wanted to.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Mandrakk
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Mandrakk »

bygranddesign wrote:Anybody else concerned about how powerful Peter is already in this new universe?

Maybe I have to go back to the old harbinger comics and check again but i believe his power was much more limited in the early going - he was able to use his psychic powers to 'STING' his enemies - which simply incapacitated them for a moment.
Well yes,but the VH Pete did not have to be institutionalized because of his powers,nor did he need to drug himself to filter the thoughts of the people around him.
bygranddesign wrote:In this preview - he is able to release his 'inner scream' and 'lobotomize 10 men' ... That is a sick amount of power. Harada has that same brain popping ability and it just seems a bit extreme.

Well not really if you consider what I said above,also that inner scream is something Peter ALWAYS has within him so...Furthermore him being that powerful makes the statement that Peter is a true global threat all the more believable and shows why so much people are after him and why Harada went to such lengh to get him under his influence and now to get rid of him.
bygranddesign wrote:It's like the Jeanie is out of the bottle - and you can't put it back. Harada and Peter are basically GOD-like with their abilities and there's not many characters in this universe that would stand much of a chance against them. I think it's a little much.

I'm eagerly anticipating the Harbinger Wars and how it shakes out... But i don't get why Peter couldn't just brain pop Bloodshot if he wanted to.
Yes that's what it might seem like,but I think that just raw power is not everything,besides we do not know all the players yet,I mean the H.A.R.D Corps for instance might have their chances and then who knows what lurks within the valiant verse...And as a side note,well they are locked into a conflict so I think it fits.
As for Bloodshot I think that might be a bit difficult,remember,Clem could not hack into Bloodshot's brain,so I do not think the Pop is a viable option,though yes Harada does have other means,however his Hubris as well as Bloodshot's training might prove to be problematic for him.
Last edited by Mandrakk on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:15:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Pete (and Toyo) were both extremely powerful in the original. Even early in his career he was able to go head to head with Erica Pierce. Outside of Solar and Pierce the omega harbingers were the most powerful characters in the original universe as far as i know.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

When you are dealing with super powered beings in a superhero universe I think you trap yourself as a storyteller when you make the characters too powerful. That's why the creators of Superman created Kryptonite as his weakness - kind of silly on the surface but superman needed that foil to ground the character or he wouldn't be as interesting.

I thought of Peter in the original universe as perhaps a stronger version of a Jedi (one that could fly but still Jedi in the way he can manipulate people and objects with his mind) - but there is no Jedi or Sith Lord(that i know of) popping 10 people's brains with a thought. And professor Xavier isn't popping brains with a thought either.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE this comic and i'm happily along for the ride - but i do think with a character like Peter who is this strong does complicate the narrative. Peter is frying people's brains without a second thought - that's pretty insane stuff, imo. Obviously this ties into the Bleeding Monk calling Peter the great destroyer etc and Peter being this powerful gives credence to that concern and idea. I understand that. I think that's all pretty cool and look forward to seeing how things play out.
pixierosa wrote: Powerful preview. Kris is spraying bullets! Hope they have her deal with some emotional fallout from that. I don't want her to be an easy trigger puller. And what about her admission about Joe at the end?
I'm gonna be an even more of a bummer now then i already have so i apologize in advance. But yeah, I agree, there should be an emotional fallout. That's what i loved about the original - it was grounded to a sense of reality where every action had a real world and emotional impact that we could identify with at some level even though it was taking place in a comic universe. Kris gunning down PRS soldiers might be necessary in the moment but we need to remember that this is a teenager doing something pretty insane and brutal - there should be a major emotional fallout to all this violence and death in order to ground it somewhat to the real world. The toughest soldiers develop PTSD - what kind of impact does War have on a bunch of teenagers that aren't military trained and ill-prepared for this level of violence?

I feel like this re-boot of Harbinger has been brilliant and I love the introduction of each of the renegades .. but I also don't want to lose that sense of reality that I think makes the Valiant universe different from the rest. I don't want another comic in which we become desensitized by the violence. I get it, I think it's cool to see heads exploding but I also appreciate substance and characters that I could identify with. Peter needs to think about the consequences of blowing 10 people's heads with a thought. I know this is War but that's why they say 'War is hell'. It's not only the idea that you might die or that many friends and fellow soldier will most likely die - but it's also living with the fact that you have done so much killing! The way that weighs on many soldiers conscience will haunt them. I'm sure these people, the PRS soldiers, had families that loved them ..etc. This should weigh on Peter's mind and it shouldn't be something that is shrugged off casually.

Especially complicating these deaths are the fact that most likely many of these PRS soldiers I would imagine probably feel like they are working for the "good guys" - the U.S government. Many of them probably have no clue of the the bad things PRS have done.

Bloodshot I expect killing without much remorse - that's a character that was bred to be a killer. He might not even be Human. But i would want Peter and the characters in Harbinger to have more humanity, doubt and regret.

All these things i'm talking about might be dealt with in this issue or future issues - I have faith in Dysart who I think has done a fantastic job so far - I'm just passionate about this comic and these characters..
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Mandrakk

Post by Mandrakk »

bygranddesign wrote:When you are dealing with super powered beings in a superhero universe I think you trap yourself as a storyteller when you make the characters too powerful. That's why the creators of Superman created Kryptonite as his weakness - kind of silly on the surface but superman needed that foil to ground the character or he wouldn't be as interesting.
Not necessarily,it depends on how creative you are,also power is not everything,the character can get ouwitted,manipulated or hit on an emotional level...there are a lot of possibilities for skilled creators to make even ultra powerful characterss à la Solar interesting.Giving them a weak point does help though I agree,and in case of Pete well we have one,his not so stable mind.
bygranddesign wrote:I thought of Peter in the original universe as perhaps a stronger version of a Jedi (one that could fly but still Jedi in the way he can manipulate people and objects with his mind) - but there is no Jedi or Sith Lord(that i know of) popping 10 people's brains with a thought. And professor Xavier isn't popping brains with a thought either.
You do not want to get there,I have read some of the SW comics and played some of the games and in those you have people Bringing down imperial ships with TK,Palpatine destroying a whole fleet of ships with something called a force storm and a guy making sns go nova(admittedly with technological help to amplify his mojo but still)

bygranddesign wrote:I'm gonna be an even more of a bummer now then i already have so i apologize in advance. But yeah, I agree, there should be an emotional fallout. That's what i loved about the original - it was grounded to a sense of reality where every action had a real world and emotional impact that we could identify with at some level even though it was taking place in a comic universe. Kris gunning down PRS soldiers might be necessary in the moment but we need to remember that this is a teenager doing something pretty insane and brutal - there should be a major emotional fallout to all this violence and death in order to ground it somewhat to the real world. The toughest soldiers develop PTSD - what kind of impact does War have on a bunch of teenagers that aren't military trained and ill-prepared for this level of violence?

I feel like this re-boot of Harbinger has been brilliant and I love the introduction of each of the renegades .. but I also don't want to lose that sense of reality that I think makes the Valiant universe different from the rest. I don't want another comic in which we become desensitized by the violence. I get it, I think it's cool to see heads exploding but I also appreciate substance and characters that I could identify with. Peter needs to think about the consequences of blowing 10 people's heads with a thought. I know this is War but that's why they say 'War is hell'. It's not only the idea that you might die or that many friends and fellow soldier will most likely die - but it's also living with the fact that you have done so much killing! The way that weighs on many soldiers conscience will haunt them. I'm sure these people, the PRS soldiers, had families that loved them ..etc. This should weigh on Peter's mind and it shouldn't be something that is shrugged off casually.

Especially complicating these deaths are the fact that most likely many of these PRS soldiers I would imagine probably feel like they are working for the "good guys" - the U.S government. Many of them probably have no clue of the the bad things PRS have done.

Bloodshot I expect killing without much remorse - that's a character that was bred to be a killer. He might not even be Human. But i would want Peter and the characters in Harbinger to have more humanity, doubt and regret.

All these things i'm talking about might be dealt with in this issue or future issues - I have faith in Dysart who I think has done a fantastic job so far - I'm just passionate about this comic and these characters..
I will agree with you on the case of Kris and the other renegades,to them there should be emotional consequences,but I do not think it is that necessary for Peter:the guy here is completly troubled and was in a psychward for years so him being a bit out of touch and only thinking about himself and getting back to Harada for what he did to Joe and being oblivious to everything else would not be a problem IMHO,in fact it adds even MORE credence to the destroyer prediction when put together with his power level.