Only The Valiant Podcast

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2
Re: Only The Valiant Podcast

Post by Dr. Solar »

lorddunlow wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Elveen wrote:An epic recording we just did! EPIC!!!!
Can't wait to hear it.
It'll be up in two weeks :twisted:
You should just make a VF.com-only version that's the raw feed - unedited. That way we get it quicker and get even more tangents, spit-takes, etc. I, for one, love the tangents. I don't even care if the audio is 3 hours long!
Not gonna happen, sorry :twisted:

Really, most of what gets edited out is the parts where I say, "ummm..... [pause] so, - shoot - what should we talk about next... [pause]"

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

The official word, for the record:

Get episode 96 now!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Just realized that my podcatcher (MyPod for Android) only downloads the episodes once they are put in the past episodes list. Anyone else have this problem? I thought 95 was the most recent, as 96 didn't show up even when I manually refreshed the RSS. I'm guessing it a problem in my app, but does anyone else have this issue? I got it to manually download through the site, but the episode metadata is generic and doesn't list the episode number or anything. Weird.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

lorddunlow wrote:Just realized that my podcatcher (MyPod for Android) only downloads the episodes once they are put in the past episodes list. Anyone else have this problem? I thought 95 was the most recent, as 96 didn't show up even when I manually refreshed the RSS. I'm guessing it a problem in my app, but does anyone else have this issue? I got it to manually download through the site, but the episode metadata is generic and doesn't list the episode number or anything. Weird.
Do you have the right RSS feed? The feed for the audio files is:

Code: Select all

http://onlythevaliant.libsyn.com/rss
The files are hosted through Libsyn, so you should be subscribed to the feed from that site.

The RSS feed for OnlyTheValiant.com is not set up to deliver the audio files.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Dr. Solar wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Just realized that my podcatcher (MyPod for Android) only downloads the episodes once they are put in the past episodes list. Anyone else have this problem? I thought 95 was the most recent, as 96 didn't show up even when I manually refreshed the RSS. I'm guessing it a problem in my app, but does anyone else have this issue? I got it to manually download through the site, but the episode metadata is generic and doesn't list the episode number or anything. Weird.
Do you have the right RSS feed? The feed for the audio files is:

Code: Select all

http://onlythevaliant.libsyn.com/rss
The files are hosted through Libsyn, so you should be subscribed to the feed from that site.

The RSS feed for OnlyTheValiant.com is not set up to deliver the audio files.
That's definitely the feed my app is loading - I just checked. Fiddled a little bit with no luck. Just shows up to #95. I'll have to contact the app developer to see if it's on his end. I have #96 so it's all good. :thumb:

Edit: Program's fault. Wasn't updating the feed although it was telling me it was. Sorry for the aggravation.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

lorddunlow wrote:Edit: Program's fault. Wasn't updating the feed although it was telling me it was. Sorry for the aggravation.
Glad it seems to be cleared up. And that it's not my fault ;)

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

What an excellent example of Battered Marvel Fan Syndrome:
hawkeyeps wrote:Hey guys thanks for another episode, you're really cranking them out now.

I don't know if I would have wasted valuable podcast space on Marvel but since you did I can definetly chime in as long time (now estranged) Marvel fan.

Basicly the Marvel Universe is like an etch a sketch, a bunch of stuff happens then they shake it up and it's gone. Every story has the whole planet or New York at the very least being destroyed/invaded/mutated and this happens probably 6-10 times every year.

A perfect example of this was Hickman's run on FF, he built a huge story for years and it culminated in a big battle over New York with the Kree, Inhumans, FF, Avengers, Spider-Man, frickin' Galactus etc. etc. etc. Of course the consquences of all this going had about as much impact as a fart in tornado in all the other books in spite of the fact the same characters were directly involved. Now I guess Ultron is going to wipe out the planet, who cares?

The Marvel universe is broken beyond repair and they don't even care they just lurch from event to death to resurection to new #1 whatever. Steve Whacker (a Marvel "editor") regularly comes on discussion boards to abuse fans calling them idiots and trolling them with an open attitude of "we're only in comics to make money, we don't care if the stupid fans hate it they keep giving us their money so to hell with them".

I think their editorial chain goes like this- Accountant to Marketing guy to Editor to Creators with the marching orders being throw spaghetti at the wall wipe off and repeat. Give us more number #1s because they sell more. They just did Marvel NOW which for me was Marvel NOT, this is where I jumped off. Now they are teasing another 52 new #1 reboot whatever facepalm

I think Marvel straight up craps on their fans.

All you have to do is go to the Marvel/Avengers/Spider-Man forums at CBR and you will see pages and pages of people complaining about the books and how they love the characters but hate what Marvel is doing with them. I think as a Marvel fan you have lowered expectations and you always get your hopes up something good will happen but are often disappointed of course you've been doing it so long you forget it doesn't have to be like that.

That's what happened for me when Valiant came back, the more Valiant I read the more meaningless and weak the Marvel titles seemed to the point I stopped caring about them all together. I still buy Hawkeye but care about it far less than any of the Valiant books.

:rant:

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

hawkeyeps wrote:Hey guys thanks for another episode, you're really cranking them out now.

I don't know if I would have wasted valuable podcast space on Marvel but since you did I can definetly chime in as long time (now estranged) Marvel fan.

Basicly the Marvel Universe is like an etch a sketch, a bunch of stuff happens then they shake it up and it's gone. Every story has the whole planet or New York at the very least being destroyed/invaded/mutated and this happens probably 6-10 times every year.

A perfect example of this was Hickman's run on FF, he built a huge story for years and it culminated in a big battle over New York with the Kree, Inhumans, FF, Avengers, Spider-Man, frickin' Galactus etc. etc. etc. Of course the consquences of all this going had about as much impact as a fart in tornado in all the other books in spite of the fact the same characters were directly involved. Now I guess Ultron is going to wipe out the planet, who cares?

The Marvel universe is broken beyond repair and they don't even care they just lurch from event to death to resurection to new #1 whatever. Steve Whacker (a Marvel "editor") regularly comes on discussion boards to abuse fans calling them idiots and trolling them with an open attitude of "we're only in comics to make money, we don't care if the stupid fans hate it they keep giving us their money so to hell with them".

I think their editorial chain goes like this- Accountant to Marketing guy to Editor to Creators with the marching orders being throw spaghetti at the wall wipe off and repeat. Give us more number #1s because they sell more. They just did Marvel NOW which for me was Marvel NOT, this is where I jumped off. Now they are teasing another 52 new #1 reboot whatever facepalm

I think Marvel straight up craps on their fans.

All you have to do is go to the Marvel/Avengers/Spider-Man forums at CBR and you will see pages and pages of people complaining about the books and how they love the characters but hate what Marvel is doing with them. I think as a Marvel fan you have lowered expectations and you always get your hopes up something good will happen but are often disappointed of course you've been doing it so long you forget it doesn't have to be like that.

That's what happened for me when Valiant came back, the more Valiant I read the more meaningless and weak the Marvel titles seemed to the point I stopped caring about them all together. I still buy Hawkeye but care about it far less than any of the Valiant books.

:rant:
I have some of the same issues with Marvel. There is a planet destroying upheaval every so often but no real consequences. Personally I'd love a series from Marvel detailing the lives of normal people who have to deal with all of these repercussions. Think of all the cases of PTSD normal people would get from the constant threat of annihilation. There are probably new fields in therapy springing up thanks to all of this strange happenings.

There was a one off joke in a Marvel book (I think it was The Hood) where someone mentions being insured against ghosts. That planted the idea of Marvel starting a book centering on a claims adjuster. Tell me that wouldn't be an interesting job in the Marvel Universe.

This is how size and popularity can be a problem. In a way I'm glad since mediocre books from the big two free up money for more Valiant books.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

It's funny Chiclo made the abused spouse analogy, I was thinking that when I was writing that post.

As for underwriting the Marvel universe what idiot would do that? Insurance must not exist in the MU and if it did the premiums would be insane and constantly going up.

Oops Skrull attack rates goin up, Oops Asgardian attack rates goin up, Oops here comes Galactus rates going way up!

It's funny how the Marvel heroes visit the future and it's always an apocalyptic waste land, I would say they should already be there 100 times over.

It's ridiculous that is why the books have no meaning regardless of what they do.

That was what I really liked about the original Ultimates book, it's what brought me back to comics after the death of old Valiant. What was happening there seemed more real and suspention of disbelief was far more plausable, of course they then handed it over to Jeph Loeb who proceeded to burn down the house and *SQUEE* on the remains.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

hawkeyeps wrote:It's funny Chiclo made the abused spouse analogy, I was thinking that when I was writing that post.

As for underwriting the Marvel universe what idiot would do that? Insurance must not exist in the MU and if it did the premiums would be insane and constantly going up.

Oops Skrull attack rates goin up, Oops Asgardian attack rates goin up, Oops here comes Galactus rates going way up!

It's funny how the Marvel heroes visit the future and it's always an apocalyptic waste land, I would say they should already be there 100 times over.

It's ridiculous that is why the books have no meaning regardless of what they do.

That was what I really liked about the original Ultimates book, it's what brought me back to comics after the death of old Valiant. What was happening there seemed more real and suspention of disbelief was far more plausable, of course they then handed it over to Jeph Loeb who proceeded to burn down the house and *SQUEE* on the remains.
I know, it's like it's all out of some fantasy story for kids.

:P :twisted:

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

I like what Josh Dysart said- "Valiant doesn't do easy"

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Alright, you guys made a comment that you want to make the podcasts shorter. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THE PODCASTS SHORTER! I love listening to all the conversation, whether it's Valiant, or not. Please, keep them at least an hour! I pretty much listen exclusively to podcasts, and this one is on top of my list. So please please please do not shorten episodes!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Alright, you guys made a comment that you want to make the podcasts shorter. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THE PODCASTS SHORTER! I love listening to all the conversation, whether it's Valiant, or not. Please, keep them at least an hour! I pretty much listen exclusively to podcasts, and this one is on top of my list. So please please please do not shorten episodes!
+1 to this

Xtianhardy
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Xtianhardy »

lorddunlow wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Alright, you guys made a comment that you want to make the podcasts shorter. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THE PODCASTS SHORTER! I love listening to all the conversation, whether it's Valiant, or not. Please, keep them at least an hour! I pretty much listen exclusively to podcasts, and this one is on top of my list. So please please please do not shorten episodes!
+1 to this
Seriously dudes, the banter and the tangents make your show special. You guys have said before on the show that you didn't want OTV to turn into a Valiant review podcast, well, the longer conversations, jokes, tangents and songs (who can forget the Shadowman rap?) are what make your show awesome.

I understand that people have busy lives and its a lot of work putting together a podcast, let alone finding the time to read your books and then talk about them, but please don't shorten the podcasts because you feel like there's some sort of standard you have to adhere to or because it's more "professional," I prefer you guys keep it real and just rap about Valiant all you want without watching the clock.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I don't think our newer format affects content that much. We still record pretty much the same kind of podcast we did before but Sean just cuts it in half with the magic of editing. We recorded last Sunday and it ran about like any other podcast - the second half was supposed to be about 45 minutes and we recorded over twice that length.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Exactly what C-Lo said.

We usually end up recording for an hour to an hour and a half each time we record, the intention is to keep this the same, and just split it up in to two parts, and release it weekly, instead of bi-weekly.

All the same content, just in smaller pieces, delivered more frequently.

Does that change any opinions? It's an experiment, so feedback is appreciated.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Dr. Solar wrote:Exactly what C-Lo said.

We usually end up recording for an hour to an hour and a half each time we record, the intention is to keep this the same, and just split it up in to two parts, and release it weekly, instead of bi-weekly.

All the same content, just in smaller pieces, delivered more frequently.

Does that change any opinions? It's an experiment, so feedback is appreciated.
I approve! I actually have a super short commute, so shorter but more frequent works well for me. That is, as long as you leave all of the tangents in.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I vote for more frequency! :clap:

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

I vote for an hour and a half EVERY week! Need my OTV fix, or I go into withdrawal.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I can tell you that I am usually the one with the time constraints (and the hardest one to find time to record).

I am also usually the one who belabors certain points, and always is bringing up stuff when Doc is ready to transition.

:hm:

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Elveen wrote:I can tell you that I am usually the one with the time constraints (and the hardest one to find time to record).

I am also usually the one who belabors certain points, and always is bringing up stuff when Doc is ready to transition.

:hm:
Idon'tcareifshe'swalkingonwaterit'sjustacomicbookcanwepleasejustmoveon!!!!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I think a 70s style sitcom of the Sean, Elveen, and Chiclo living together in a cramped apartment would be a fun show to watch.

Xtianhardy
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek

Post by Xtianhardy »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I vote for an hour and a half EVERY week! Need my OTV fix, or I go into withdrawal.
Hahaha oh man. Weeks when I get my OTV fix > weeks without new episodes. I'm definitely down with more episodes if the shorter length helps you dudes get them made quicker.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I vote for an hour and a half EVERY week! Need my OTV fix, or I go into withdrawal.
We got you hooked. Don't worry, the first one's free. So is the second, apparently.

And the third.

And the fourth.

And the fifth, sixth, seventh, eight, ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth, eighteenth, nineteenth, twentieth, twenty-first, twenty-second, twenty-third, twenty-fourth, twenty-fifth, twenty-sixth, twenty-seventh, twenty-eight, twenty-ninth, thirtieth, thirty-first, thirty-second, thirty-third, thirty-fourth, thirty-fifth, thirty-sixth, thirty-seventh, thirty-eight, thirty-ninth, fortieth, forty-first, forty-second, forty-third, forty-fourth, forty-fifth, forty-sixth, forty-seventh, forty-eight, forty-ninth, fiftieth, fifty-first, fifty-second, fifty-third, fifty-fourth, fifty-fifth, fifty-sixth, fifty-seventh, fifty-eight, fifty-ninth, sixtieth, sixty-first, sixty-second, sixty-third, sixty-fourth, sixty-fifth, sixty-sixth, sixty-seventh, sixty-eight, sixty-ninth, seventieth, seventy-first, seventy-second, seventy-third, seventy-fourth, seventy-fifth, seventy-sixth, seventy-seventh, seventy-eight, seventy-ninth, eightieth, eighty-first, eighty-second, eighty-third, eighty-fourth, eighty-fifth, eighty-sixth, eighty-seventh, eighty-eight, eighty-ninth, ninetieth, ninety-first, ninety-second, ninety-third, ninety-fourth, ninety-fifth, and ninety-sixth, but that could change at any time.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

You guys planning a foil wraparound gatefold #100 issue? Maybe for Harbinger Wars in April, or the 1 year anniversary of new Valiant comics in May?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)