Personal Current Rankings

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Re: Personal Current Rankings

Post by caniac »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:Bloodshot
Shadowman
X-O (maily due to waiting for PLANET DEATH in TPB)
Harbinger (only have #0 and will pick up HARBINGER WARS)
A&A (only title that doesnt interest me yet)

btw I'm new to Valiant (since Bloodshot #1, last year (2012)). Have both Bloodshot and Shadowman on my pull-list with X-O to resume post PLANET DEATH - I just think that arc will look great as a collected edition.
Welcome :thumb:
Definitely read Harbinger!

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

They're all the best.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Updated list: (with visuals)

Harby 1
XO 2

Bloodshot 3
A&A 4

Shadowman 5

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Elveen wrote:Updated list: (with visuals)

Harby 1
XO 2

Bloodshot 3
A&A 4

Shadowman 5
Hah! Wow! That's pretty far down there! I do feel the same way about Shadowman, but I think if I re-read them all together, I might like it more..... hopefully?
But A&A might just edge out Bloodshot for me, and much closer to X-O and Harby in my "visual" list.... oh hell, here it is....

Harbinger
X-O
Archer & Armstrong
Bloodshot

Shadowman

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:

Harby 1
XO 2

Bloodshot 3
A&A 4

Shadowman 5
Hah! Wow! That's pretty far down there! I do feel the same way about Shadowman, but I think if I re-read them all together, I might like it more..... hopefully?
But A&A might just edge out Bloodshot for me, and much closer to X-O and Harby in my "visual" list.... oh hell, here it is....

Harbinger
X-O
Archer & Armstrong
Bloodshot

Shadowman
I enjoyed shadowman overall, it's just that Harby and XO are GREAT! And blooshot and A&A have really gotten better.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:Bloodshot
Shadowman
X-O (maily due to waiting for PLANET DEATH in TPB)
Harbinger (only have #0 and will pick up HARBINGER WARS)
A&A (only title that doesnt interest me yet)

btw I'm new to Valiant (since Bloodshot #1, last year (2012)). Have both Bloodshot and Shadowman on my pull-list with X-O to resume post PLANET DEATH - I just think that arc will look great as a collected edition.
Cannot recommend enough that you read Harbinger! There is a $10 trade for the first 4 issues, but you should read all 9. Best series Valiant has right now!
That $10 trade actually contains the first 5 issues...an even better deal :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:

Harby 1
XO 2

Bloodshot 3
A&A 4

Shadowman 5

Harbinger
X-O
Archer & Armstrong
Bloodshot

Shadowman

Yup, just re-read them. I can't quite put my finger on it. But it seems so campy. I think one of my complaints about some of the other books is that they can feel like they move to slow, like the plot doesn't advance enough in a book. But with Shadowman, I feel like it all moved too quickly. Jack becomes Shadowman, and within the first 1 second of him being Shadowman, he knows who/what he is. then he goes to the deadside or whatever, and without any training, knows how to use his scythe in a power blast way, and even knows how to navigate the deadside. With no explanation, or training. He's cocky, he and Alyssa are too light for the subject matter. They take away from the seriousness and gravity of the book. I get they're going for the Spidey approach, how he uses comedy and wit to make light of serious situations, but Jack's so cocky without even knowing what he's cocky about. Kinda irks me actually.
And another reason why it might bother me so much, is this book is probably the biggest departure from VH1, in my opinion. Leaves you kind of in limbo between VH1, and VEI.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote: Jack becomes Shadowman, and within the first 1 second of him being Shadowman, he knows who/what he is.
I think it was explained (by Justin?) here on the board that the Shadowman Loa kinda took over Jack's body, and so already knew how to use his weapon, etc. Or am I mis-remembering?

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

jmatt wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote: Jack becomes Shadowman, and within the first 1 second of him being Shadowman, he knows who/what he is.
I think it was explained (by Justin?) here on the board that the Shadowman Loa kinda took over Jack's body, and so already knew how to use his weapon, etc. Or am I mis-remembering?
That's cool that he came on and explained. I wasn't on the boards just a few short months ago. However, in later issues, I don't know if it's 3 or 4, he reverts from Shadowman to Jack with no problem. Whereas in issue 2, he wakes up from thinking being Shadowman was just a dream. All I'm saying is that his power is moving very fast. From not even knowing if it's real, to "phasing" from one to another at will.
And after two reads, I'm STILL confused about the way(s) to enter and exit the deadside. Why can Jack do it so easily, but Darque can't?

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:
jmatt wrote:
That's cool that he came on and explained. I wasn't on the boards just a few short months ago. However, in later issues, I don't know if it's 3 or 4, he reverts from Shadowman to Jack with no problem. Whereas in issue 2, he wakes up from thinking being Shadowman was just a dream. All I'm saying is that his power is moving very fast. From not even knowing if it's real, to "phasing" from one to another at will.
And after two reads, I'm STILL confused about the way(s) to enter and exit the deadside. Why can Jack do it so easily, but Darque can't?
One theory I have is that the Shadowman Loa is big deal in Deadside, maybe even the boss of it. Some where in the past Jack's ancestor's cut a deal with this thing in order to defeat Darque.

If Darque was seeking other dimensions and the Deadside is the gate way to these dimensions the first place Darque would have invaded would have been the Deadside. The Shadowman Loa's last line of defence against Darque may have been to bond with one of Darque's own kind.

Having done this perhaps they forced Darque to Lyceum where they figured they would handle him...not the case.

Now Darque is back in the Deadside and Juanty is scared *SQUEE* of Darque and knows that this new bonding of Host to Loa will take time to develop in order to deal with Darque. I have a feeling Juanty would be a lot happier if Darque wasn't there.

I think the origin of Darque is a huge thing here.

Just my 2 cents of speculation.

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:
jmatt wrote:
One theory I have is that the Shadowman Loa is big deal in Deadside, maybe even the boss of it. Some where in the past Jack's ancestor's cut a deal with this thing in order to defeat Darque.

If Darque was seeking other dimensions and the Deadside is the gate way to these dimensions the first place Darque would have invaded would have been the Deadside. The Shadowman Loa's last line of defence against Darque may have been to bond with one of Darque's own kind.

Having done this perhaps they forced Darque to Lyceum where they figured they would handle him...not the case.

Now Darque is back in the Deadside and Juanty is scared *SQUEE* of Darque and knows that this new bonding of Host to Loa will take time to develop in order to deal with Darque. I have a feeling Juanty would be a lot happier if Darque wasn't there.

I think the origin of Darque is a huge thing here.

Just my 2 cents of speculation.
This is all waaaay over my head.

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

Since the launch my personal ranking for the books are as follows.....

1. X-O Manowar - This is by a VERY small margin, its just that overall since launch this book has attached itself to me like a barnacle to a whale.
2. Harbinger - This books was so close to #1 and sometimes I feel as if it is, but I've got to put it as #2.....and it was a hard decision to make.
3. Shadowman - Only one "eh" issue in the 4 that have been released coupled with a fun story and AMAZING art makes this #3 for me.
4. Bloodshot - This was SLIGHTLY edged out by Shadowman, and I mean very slightly. I love this book so damn much!
5. A&A - The only title in the line I no longer collect monthly. It wasn't terrible, but I just wasn't feeling it and am only picking up landmark issues from now on.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

and just another thought on Shadowman. I really WANT to like the book. I think the art is at the top of the list of the new Valiant stuff. I'm a huge fan of Patrick Zircher, and Shadowman was one of my favorites from VH1. It's just not connecting to me, it's a little over my head. Is it that it's TOO smart and I'm not getting it? I'd be alright with that!
I want the book to succeed and I want to love it. Not trying to bash it by any means.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Big Red wrote:1. X-O (It's really a toss up with Harbinger, but if I was forced to choose, I'd pick X-O.)
2. Harbinger
3. Bloodshot
4. A & A
5. Shadowman
After the latest issue of Shadowman, I think that I will change this to:

1. X-O (It's really a toss up with Harbinger, but if I was forced to choose, I'd pick X-O.)
2. Harbinger
3. Shadowman
4. Bloodshot
5. A & A

I'm really enjoying Shadowman now.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

X-O
Harbinger
Shadowman
Bloodshot

Archer & Armstrong facepalm

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

FormerReader wrote:1. Harbinger
2. X-O
3. A&A
4. Bloodshot
5. Shadowman
After this month I would say Shadowman and Bloodshot are both tied at forth. I thought both were very good this month, but I really enjoy the other three.

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Mine have often changed with every new issue.
My current (bot not consistent) order
Harbinger
X-O
Bloodshot
A&A
Shadowman

TheFallen
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by TheFallen »

• Harbinger
  • Bloodshot/Shadowman (tie)
  • X-O Manowar
  • Archer & Armstrong

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Harby
X-O
a&A
Bloodshot
Shadowman (which improved a bunch with the last ish)

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger

Post by Zaphod »

Harbinger
Bloodshot
X-O Manowar
Shadowman

dropped A&A, Shadowman is on life support. Also X-O and Bloodshot are going to change if the next Bloodshot arc isn't much better.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Zaphod wrote:Harbinger
Bloodshot
X-O Manowar
Shadowman

dropped A&A, Shadowman is on life support. Also X-O and Bloodshot are going to change if the next Bloodshot arc isn't much better.
Wow! Can't believe you dropped Archer & Armstrong! I'm really liking the book! I more enjoy Clayton Henry than Emanuella Lupachino (sp?), but digging the story for sure.
And I thought Bloodshot has been on fire recently! I feel like it's been getting better every issue!

Just goes to show how different our opinions can be! :?

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

Gamma has been ruining Bloodshot for me, and I have been put off from A&A since the beginning. I still buy it, but I loathe reading it. I do just to keep up with whats going on. I view myself as a universe collector. As long as the line remains relatively small I'll buy it all, even if I detest a title here or there.

Zaphod
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger

Post by Zaphod »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:
Zaphod wrote:Harbinger
Bloodshot
X-O Manowar
Shadowman

Wow! Can't believe you dropped Archer & Armstrong! I'm really liking the book! I more enjoy Clayton Henry than Emanuella Lupachino (sp?), but digging the story for sure.
And I thought Bloodshot has been on fire recently! I feel like it's been getting better every issue!

Just goes to show how different our opinions can be! :?
I am just not a fan of the story telling, the art has been fantastic. I won't apologize for how highly I regard the BWS run and I can acknowledge that bias might taint my feeling towards this title but I would like to think, regardless of that history the writing on this book has just been missing the mark more than hitting it.

Some of the concepts have been improvements but where as BWS could find a really great balance between the slapstick humour and keeping A&A a viable book within the larger scheme of a science-based Valiant Universe, FVL has failed miserably.

I reference the latest interview with James Asmus (Q&W) and for me he hit the nail on the head as to what FVL is missing (even though he is referring to his own writing and take on the Q&W characters):
CBR: One of the aspects that you mentioned was reconciling the superhero elements inherent in comics with humor and bringing it out more to reach a new audience. What has it been like for you to do that? It's not really something you've had a major opportunity to do in your mainstream comics work thus far.

Asmus: I've certainly always tried to inject a degree of humor into the comics I write, which is partially because it makes sense to me about how I deal with the world; I tend to put that on my characters. I definitely feel humor is another piece of the entertainment value I can deliver to the audience. Especially in a book like this, I think -- like I was saying -- when much of the humor comes from who the characters are, it's not really difficult to reconcile having it in there because it's a part of their motivation.

I would say the difference is when the character is the joke rather than when they tell jokes, it's actually very easy to include it in the story. If you're in a life-and-death situation and your character has to constantly crack one-liners, that's difficult to do. In the case of Woody, that's the type of person he is, but if you're trying to write a book where everyone makes jokes in the face of death, it seems disingenuous. In this case, to have humor come out of how intense but sometimes bumbling Quantum can be in the face of a ridiculous situation, he becomes the joke because something around him is silly. If they are in a life-or-death scenario with a goat, the absurdity rings true to us as readers -- we can laugh at it, even though it's the most dire consequence for the characters. In that way, when it comes to character motivation, having them play it straight and care about these life-or-death situations that on the outside have an element of comedy or absurdity doesn't upset the story; it just enhances both sides of it. The characters get to really invest in the stakes and it gets sillier and more dangerous to the readers.
I think the highlighted, bold, italicized, underlined part is precisely what I have been feeling with regards to the writing in A&A. It feels forced and disingenuous. FVL is forcing the story to fit the puns he wants to put out there and, to me, it feel stilted and awkward and kills the flow.

If the characters can't take the drama of the situation remotely serious, how can I?
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

I think the highlighted, bold, italicized, underlined part is precisely what I have been feeling with regards to the writing in A&A. It feels forced and disingenuous. FVL is forcing the story to fit the puns he wants to put out there and, to me, it feel stilted and awkward and kills the flow.

If the characters can't take the drama of the situation remotely serious, how can I?

My feelings exactly. A&A went from being my favorite corner of the Valiant Universe to likely being the first book I drop. A&A makes the whole universe seem less realistic and or interesting to me.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Can't put them in any real order. Each month there is a different title that outshines the rest.
Last month it was harbinger, this month it's Shadowman. Next month... Who knows?

All tied for first right now.