Harbinger Wars covers

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

carter3175
Harbinger Wars covers

Post by carter3175 »

I am not happy to see 4 different covers for each of the 4 books. If you have to have them all you'd be buying 16 books. I love the V, will support the V, but I will not be buying anymore variants after next month. I just can't do it anymore.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Harbinger Wars covers

Post by greg »

The highest ratio incentive variants are rewards for large dealers... and fans who see Valiant panels at conventions (which is a nice touch!)

I don't have anywhere near a complete variant collection, but it gives me something to watch/dig for in the future.

I do have a complete READING collection, which is all that really matters. :thumb:

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

greg wrote:The highest ratio incentive variants are rewards for large dealers... and fans who see Valiant panels at conventions (which is a nice touch!)

I don't have anywhere near a complete variant collection, but it gives me something to watch/dig for in the future.

I do have a complete READING collection, which is all that really matters. :thumb:
I'll agree to that :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

Yeah, I agree. The story is more important and I have all of them as well. I'm trying to come off the Pokemon syndrome of having to catch them all. My line in the sand has been drawn and I cannot do this anymore. Regular covers are fine by me.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

betterthanezra wrote:
greg wrote:The highest ratio incentive variants are rewards for large dealers... and fans who see Valiant panels at conventions (which is a nice touch!)

I'll agree to that :thumb:

-Brian
+1

I'm still getting a fair amount of the variants myself, but not trying for a complete set - -only the artwork I really like. It isn't detracting from my enjoyment of reading all 5 titles to date either, I am loving them all.

I will say I thought it was a bit excessive to see 4 variants per issue of the Harbinger Wars mini, especially 4 1:50 variants!!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I know what you guys are saying but they are hard to resist when they are just sitting there.

The big LCS here in town has a Shadowman #8 Grampa variant for $80, about a week ago I was in there and and I asked them if I could put a $20 deposit on the book and pay it off $20 a week, I go in there every week looking for variants or unmauled copies when necessary (which is often).

The guy said "no" which I totally don't understand, he would have my money and the book, I wouldn't get the book until I paid of the $80+gst+exchange rate ( :!: ). How could he lose on this? If I never came back he would have my money and the book.

I had a little spurt of work so I had some extra cash and maybe could have picked it up but I'm kind of soured now, I hope book the sits there and collects dust like the A&A Gold he has back there. What a jerk. :rant:

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

hawkeyeps wrote:I know what you guys are saying but they are hard to resist when they are just sitting there.

The big LCS here in town has a Shadowman #8 Grampa variant for $80, about a week ago I was in there and and I asked them if I could put a $20 deposit on the book and pay it off $20 a week, I go in there every week looking for variants or unmauled copies when necessary (which is often).

The guy said "no" which I totally don't understand, he would have my money and the book, I wouldn't get the book until I paid of the $80+gst+exchange rate ( :!: ). How could he lose on this? If I never came back he would have my money and the book.

I had a little spurt of work so I had some extra cash and maybe could have picked it up but I'm kind of soured now, I hope book the sits there and collects dust like the A&A Gold he has back there. What a jerk. :rant:
It's probably for the best. My problem with the variants is, they don't hold their value. I'm not buying them to sell them, but why buy them all when a few months down the line they can be bought for half the price or less. :?

If there were only a few they would probably hold their value as I think Valiantfans could support the market, but with soo many out there the market is not big enough to keep the prices up.

I have no problem with Valiant doing them if they help, but I pick only the ones I like now.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

hawkeyeps wrote:My problem with the variants is, they don't hold their value. .
I won't completely agree with this. Yet. My guess is that the 1:20 variants of NON 1:50 books will gain value over time.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Not all the variants go down in value. Recently, I sold a copy Harbinger #2 1:20 for $39.95 + Shipping. It depends on the supply and demand for these books and what someone is willing to pay for them.

Also, not all variants can be bought for 50% off a few months later. It depends on what price you purchased your variants from.

Clean NM+/M copies go for a premium.
Last edited by drmirage on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:27:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Agreed. I also like all the contests and other chances "regular" readers have the opportunity to take part in.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

hawkeyeps wrote:I know what you guys are saying but they are hard to resist when they are just sitting there.

I have worked at a couple of comic shops in the past... and from that experience I can understand why your LCS won't do layaways. Believe it or not, I remember at the one shop in particular there would be people putting big books on layaway, dropping a portion of the price down in cash to hold it, and then never to be seen again... leaving us holding the comic, which we potentially could have sold & a wad of cash that we could do nothing with. Why someone would not care about throwing money away like that is beyond me, though there could have been extenuating circumstances behind it. Others would take excessive amounts of time to pay off [a year+ for something not too high priced].

Generally it worked out fine, but those few headache situations led the one lcs owner to stop accepting layaways. Personally, I would never commit to a layaway unless I knew I would stick to it and pay it off as quickly as possible, but not everybody is like me.

In your case, I don't know if the guy was rude about it or not, but at least he could have explained why they won't do it in the interest of good customer relations. It can be hard for the person working at the shop to tell if someone is going to follow through on a layaway, unless its a known & trusted regular [and even then it doesn't always work out]. If you are a long time regular at your lcs, I think the guy should have let you do it.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

drmirage wrote:Not all the variants go down in value. Recently, I sold a copy Harbinger #2 1:20 for $39.95 + Shipping. It depends on the supply and demand for these books and what someone is willing to pay for them.

Also, not all variants can be bought for 50% off a few months later. It depends on what price you purchased your variants from.

Clean NM+/M copies go for a premium.
Agreed. It is a generalization. Some will hold their value, but most can be found at much lower prices if you wait a few months.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

If I ever had a store I would not do lay a ways, unless it was a REGULAR established customer. Just the few times I've set up at a show, I've have had many people ask to "hold" books for them. Most of the times I have said no, but of the times I have said yes, like 1 person came back. Lay a way only works if you have many of the product being held.

Also on the variant front, more than some of the books have held their value and I'd imagine that next summer the price on many of the variants will go up. Some VERY quickly I'd imagine.

I do think it will be the non-#1s and non "big" issue variants that will go up.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

carter3175 wrote:Yeah, I agree. The story is more important and I have all of them as well. I'm trying to come off the Pokemon syndrome of having to catch them all.
I go back and forth on this but 16 covers is ridiculous.

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

IF....IF they only put out variants for special books etc etc, then I would be all over it. The thing that kills it for me is a variant for EVERY book. Some books have like X-O #5, it has 4 covers, X-O #6 has 3, X-O #9 has 3, X-O #11 has 4. Thats flat out crazy. I used to be all in for variants and such but I can't pay these prices for the same content inside. :!:

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I never wanted all the Variants except for xo but gave up very quickly. So I only get one book a month, xo, harbinger and blood shot. I only buy Variants that are like wow that's amazing. Im not a chaser of the real expensive ones. Only what I can afford! Xo 12 1/20 variant does this to me and for 13.99 how can I go wrong.
Then tpb 9.99 each OMG thats 30.00 if they come out in the same month. To much money need to save for a Jeep
I Miss the good old days.

drmirage
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

If a year from now all these variants become $$$.. We'd wish we had more variants :)

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

drmirage wrote:If a year from now all these variants become $$$.. We'd wish we had more variants :)
it's speculation like that which killed the market in the 90's
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

I'm in for all the variants except the Golds. I don't know why, they just don't appeal to me in the slightest, especially given their cost.

It's expensive, but I am able to make it happen. Also, I want Valiant to succeed so badly, and this is how I can contribute to that!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I haven't "collected" since the 90s, and have only bought the #1s in print, so it makes no difference to me.

Even when I was collecting, I would only pick up a variant if I really liked the art. When I saw the Aja XO #1 at the LCS, I snatched it up because it may be one of my all time favorite covers. Glad I have it, but there haven't been too many others I'd consider that for (except maybe the Dave Johnson Shadowman #2).
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

The Beyonder wrote:I'm in for all the variants except the Golds. I don't know why, they just don't appeal to me in the slightest, especially given their cost.

It's expensive, but I am able to make it happen. Also, I want Valiant to succeed so badly, and this is how I can contribute to that!
Yeah I agree. When the cover is the same and they just slap some gold on it - that doesn't get me excited to buy it.

I collect the covers that I really like. I like the Dave Johnson shadowman covers - so i usually shell out the 20-25 bucks to get those. And I also just got the Gamma/Bloodshot cover for 25 bucks because I like Gamma.. 8-)
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

What are the covers ratio going to be?
Will there be a reg and pull box. Is there a line wide variant for harbinger wars?

I went in to my comic shop to ask about the 8 bit covers and was told its a buy all insensitive. What does this mean and or how do we get the 8 bit issues ty.
I Miss the good old days.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

nonplayer wrote: I went in to my comic shop to ask about the 8 bit covers and was told its a buy all insensitive. What does this mean and or how do we get the 8 bit issues ty.
Not sure about the other questions, but a buy all incentive means that your comic shop can order as many of those version as he wants, regardless of other circumstances. He could, theoretically, just buy only that version I believe.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

:cry: :cry: :cry: Its official. :cry: :cry: :cry: I just left my LCS and dropped all Valiant variants. They happened to agree that they put out a lot. I will continue to buy every regular book and enjoy the read.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

carter3175 wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: Its official. :cry: :cry: :cry: I just left my LCS and dropped all Valiant variants. They happened to agree that they put out a lot. I will continue to buy every regular book and enjoy the read.
I feel your pain. The good news is that after a month or two, you don't even think about it anymore. At least I don't. I'm enjoying my Valiants and I couldn't care less how many variants they come out with, because it's highly unlikely that I'm buying them. I do want the goat QR when it comes out. :twisted: