The story of ValiantFans.com edition of Valiant 2013 FCBD

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...
Re: The story of ValiantFans.com edition of Valiant 2013 FCB

Post by nscc »

Just wanted to chime in that it looks great with the new design.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I can't wait to get my hands on these come May!
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I posted in the other thread to ignore me in this one after I read your explanation...but if you're gonna be a *SQUEE* about it... :kidaround:
Yeah, well... I just posted your mom... or something. I don't know. :?

:kidaround:
I know you are, but what am I?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

UPDATE:
March 7th - received confirmation of the graphic to be used in production (updated above)

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

It looks really good!

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Dr. Solar wrote:It looks really good!
Agreed! :clap:

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Can't wait!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Helios
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by Helios »

Awesome Sauce.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Awesome!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Me likey

Labtech1
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 11/12
Favorite character: T.B.D.
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Labtech1 »

:clap:

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

:high-five:

Hell yeah Greg, that is the best possible version!

Here's more news I just went and talked to a local LCS buddy who is President of the the Calagry Comic and Entertainment Expo (the original C2E2, Chicago bites on us). I went to speak to him because I know he was just at ECCC and must have been speaking to Valiant about coming, sure enough he did. Everything is still up in the air but the con is coming pretty soon.
I told him I would also get on Valiant's case about coming up here and then I thought of an angle to make it worth their while.

If Valiant comes to Calgary I will volunteer for Valiant (they know this), Calgary Expo (the Pres knows it) and VFans!!

I will volunteer to be swag central for this board especially for those who have no hope of going to a big Con or getting to see Valiant.

It would be a chance for the people on this board to swag out. It would work like this- I will try to get an idea of what Valiant has available and what the cost to me would be to buy at the con. I would then take orders for that exact cost for the members on this board of course then shipping would be what ever required to get it to the member. If Valiant has free items I will get for fans who can't afford or don't want other stuff as long as they are willing to pay the shipping to them.

I am totally willing to do this as labour of love to support Valiant and this board as we did with this great FCBD book.

By the way I organized a Free View with this LCS to coincide with the dollar releases and our special FCBD book.

Wish me luck Bros and Pixie, I am going to get on Valiant's case, I can do this :thumb:

caniac

Post by caniac »

hawkeyeps wrote::high-five:

Here's more news I just went and talked to a local LCS buddy who is President of the the Calagry Comic and Entertainment Expo (the original C2E2, Chicago bites on us). I went to speak to him because I know he was just at ECCC and must have been speaking to Valiant about coming, sure enough he did. Everything is still up in the air but the con is coming pretty soon.
I told him I would also get on Valiant's case about coming up here and then I thought of an angle to make it worth their while.

If Valiant comes to Calgary I will volunteer for Valiant (they know this), Calgary Expo (the Pres knows it) and VFans!!

I will volunteer to be swag central for this board especially for those who have no hope of going to a big Con or getting to see Valiant.

It would be a chance for the people on this board to swag out. It would work like this- I will try to get an idea of what Valiant has available and what the cost to me would be to buy at the con. I would then take orders for that exact cost for the members on this board of course then shipping would be what ever required to get it to the member. If Valiant has free items I will get for fans who can't afford or don't want other stuff as long as they are willing to pay the shipping to them.

I am totally willing to do this as labour of love to support Valiant and this board as we did with this great FCBD book.

By the way I organized a Free View with this LCS to coincide with the dollar releases and our special FCBD book.

Wish me luck Bros and Pixie, I am going to get on Valiant's case, I can do this :thumb:
Mad respect coming from your brothers down south :thumb:

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

caniac wrote:

Mad respect coming from your brothers down south :thumb:
That's really awesome!
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Just messaged Valiant and Dino on FB.

I don't just want to be just some guy walking up at the Con, if Valiant is in I know I am in with the Con and will have this thing well organized in advance. I will take orders here and liase with Valiant in advance so they can bring all the swag with them, nothing to chance an organized inside operation so the fans on this board who will never be able to go a big Con will be able to get in on the fun.

If Valiant pulls the trigger we will do this, we are very close and I'm in contact with all the top guys at the Con as well as Valiant :hope:

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

Borderlands is owned by by friend Robert Young here in Greenville, SC and Planet Comics is about an hour away in Anderson, SC.

I'm gonna talk to Rob and Mike to see if they'd be willing to provide their copies directly to interested folks, but I can't necessarily guarantee they'll agree to that.

Also, is imagine they're going to be selling them as well as opposed to giving them out. Again, I can't guarantee that but I can absolutely see that as the way they'll go.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Also, so if the regular, VF, Borderlands, and Planet covers are "almost a complete set" then what does that leave rounding out the individual covers?
WWSLJD, MF?

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :hope: :thumb: :thumb:

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

I believe I read that midtown comics was the fifth one.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

etos45 wrote:I believe I read that midtown comics was the fifth one.
Yeah. Me and kevinbastos asked Dino on twitter and he confirmed Midtown as the other store.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

lorddunlow wrote:
etos45 wrote:I believe I read that midtown comics was the fifth one.
Yeah. Me and kevinbastos asked Dino on twitter and he confirmed Midtown as the other store.
I really like that there are only going to be five versions of these. It will make this set much easier to complete than I thought it would. :thumb:

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

So I know a number of people are planning on giving many of these away to local readers. After my efforts to entice "non-comic" readers into the fold (giving them away to random people, not current comic book readers) met with mixed success (all comics were given away, no one who got them came to these forums) I am going to try to give some away to readers at the local store.

I don't go to the local store much, but I did talk to them last week about this idea. They seemed agreeable. They indicated they have 75 subscription orders, with about 70 of them NOT getting Valiant comics.

MY question is - does anyone have any suggestions on how to decide who gets the variant Valiant FCBD books? I will only have about 40 or so to give away, so I can't give one to everyone. I am debating also buying the $1 debut book for each, varying them between the titles. Should I randomly give them to 40 people? Should I have the store pick them? What do you think?

Chris

caniac

Post by caniac »

cjv wrote:So I know a number of people are planning on giving many of these away to local readers. After my efforts to entice "non-comic" readers into the fold (giving them away to random people, not current comic book readers) met with mixed success (all comics were given away, no one who got them came to these forums) I am going to try to give some away to readers at the local store.

I don't go to the local store much, but I did talk to them last week about this idea. They seemed agreeable. They indicated they have 75 subscription orders, with about 70 of them NOT getting Valiant comics.

MY question is - does anyone have any suggestions on how to decide who gets the variant Valiant FCBD books? I will only have about 40 or so to give away, so I can't give one to everyone. I am debating also buying the $1 debut book for each, varying them between the titles. Should I randomly give them to 40 people? Should I have the store pick them? What do you think?

Chris
I would let the store pick them as they know their tastes the best.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

cjv wrote:So I know a number of people are planning on giving many of these away to local readers. After my efforts to entice "non-comic" readers into the fold (giving them away to random people, not current comic book readers) met with mixed success (all comics were given away, no one who got them came to these forums) I am going to try to give some away to readers at the local store.

Chris
Give them to anyone with a subscription to non-Marvel, non-DC, age-appropriate titles first.
They already read "outside the big 2" and they already read "Teen+" level material.
Valiant matches both categories.

Anyone who is exclusive to Marvel or exclusive to DC is probably a bad choice.
They've committed to a brand instead of committing to quality.

Anyone who ONLY gets Walking Dead is probably a bad choice.
They're not interested in comics, they're just interested in Walking Dead.

Overall, though, I agree that the shop owner might know the tastes best...
especially if the owner knows that some with a subscription also dabble in other random books at the checkout.