Only The Valiant Podcast

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Re: Only The Valiant Podcast

Post by hawkeyeps »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
ValiantReader wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:Get while the getting's good!

OTV EPISODE 103:

Please don't talk about astrophysics again. It made my brain hurt.
If I am not supposed to talk about astrophysics or guns, what does that leave me? Star Trek?
I vote for a full episode of Only the Astrophysics. Perhaps some discussion of some theoretical astrophysics. I'd love to hear C-lo discussing Magnetohydrodynamics at length :thumb:
Is that like tides and stuff? Remember I'm on the prairie side of the Rockies.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote: I also believe anybody can do it that is willing to make the effort to learn & take the time to practice.
Not anybody. If you would like proof, I could provide you some examples of my work in the field of art. I practiced a LOT in middle school trying to draw my own comics. It never improved. I did enjoy it though - not sure anyone else would. facepalm
I totally agree - I couldn't draw a round circle in school, and I can't draw a square square to this day.

*sigh*

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

hawkeyeps wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
ValiantReader wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:Get while the getting's good!

OTV EPISODE 103:

Please don't talk about astrophysics again. It made my brain hurt.
If I am not supposed to talk about astrophysics or guns, what does that leave me? Star Trek?
I vote for a full episode of Only the Astrophysics. Perhaps some discussion of some theoretical astrophysics. I'd love to hear C-lo discussing Magnetohydrodynamics at length :thumb:
Is that like tides and stuff? Remember I'm on the prairie side of the Rockies.
About the only magnetohydrodynamics I can think of is the Caterpillar Drive on the Red October.

There must be more since the word magnetohydrodynamics itself passes Firefox's spellcheck, whereas spellcheck does not.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

hawkeyeps wrote: Is that like tides and stuff? Remember I'm on the prairie side of the Rockies.
it's the study of the dynamics of electrically conducting fluids, I was just googling astrophysics stuff and it was the most fun looking word I could randomly put out there :lol:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Chiclo wrote: About the only magnetohydrodynamics I can think of is the Caterpillar Drive on the Red October.

There must be more since the word magnetohydrodynamics itself passes Firefox's spellcheck, whereas spellcheck does not.
it's a real academic discipline. The Sun is an MHD system that isn't well understood according to the wikipedia article.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

slym2none wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote: I also believe anybody can do it that is willing to make the effort to learn & take the time to practice.
Not anybody. If you would like proof, I could provide you some examples of my work in the field of art. I practiced a LOT in middle school trying to draw my own comics. It never improved. I did enjoy it though - not sure anyone else would. facepalm
I totally agree - I couldn't draw a round circle in school, and I can't draw a square square to this day.

*sigh*

-slym
Well I didn't say it would be easy even with practice :)

I read some art theory somewhere that talked about that 'middle-school' level that dunlow is referring to. There is a huge barrier to break through at that point because as you are maturing and your mind reaches adult levels of sophistication, you become more acutely aware of what you can't draw. The vast majority of people give up at this stage, even those who might still enjoy it but either don't carry on and practice enough, or can't figure out how to work through whatever they are stuck on. The curriculum for art in most high schools is mostly garbage - they aren't designed well to actually help anyone develop the important skills.

This is the point where those who might be perceived as having natural talent might have an edge - they have carried on through and just kept drawing regardless because they want to do it badly enough. I was in that camp - and i sucked even in high school but i was getting better than most of the other students in class because i spent hours&hours of my free time drawing all kinds of crap out of my imagination.

I can remember talking with my best friend in high school who was also big into drawing his own comics & stuff, we used to discuss how it felt to suddenly understand how to draw some part of a face or a head from a different angle, or getting proportions correct after endlessly getting them wrong. It was a rush of revelation that just got more & more addictive. We were also very lucky in that we had an art teacher who recognized that we were really into drawing, and he went out of his way to foster our interests. One year in high school we actually got to hang out in a separate room from the main class and just work on our own comic book projects all semester long, & our final mark was based on that!

Anyways, sorry to blather on about it in the OTV thread, but I do feel that most people really can learn to draw... It just isn't an easy thing to do. I know Doc is really focusing on his drawing right now, hopefully this is at least interesting to him...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Your ears will explode like Sandria's rabbit when you listen to this episode!

SHADOWMAN #0 COMMENTARY TRACK

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

:clap: :o Shadowman #0 commentary track! Nice!

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Spoiler alert: we really liked this book.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

When Darque wasted his Dad it was the "Skeleton Pop Out" :wink:

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Just finished listening to the Shadowman #0 commentary track, good job guys :thumb:

please Chiclo never stop with the "I'm Chiclo" at the beginning it cracks me up every single time.

PSN- gorakthebunny

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:Just finished listening to the Shadowman #0 commentary track, good job guys :thumb:

please Chiclo never stop with the "I'm Chiclo" at the beginning it cracks me up every single time.
I agree. For me it's kinda like, "feel my power".
It's just not OTV with out it.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Elveen wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:Just finished listening to the Shadowman #0 commentary track, good job guys :thumb:

I agree. For me it's kinda like, "feel my power".
It's just not OTV with out it.
for sure! I love it when the guests do a "feel my power" too

and that time V-Ditti did the "i'm Chiclo" i had to pause it for like 5 mins to stop laughing

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Dr. Solar wrote:Spoiler alert: we really liked this book.
If you didn't, I'd be worried that you were losing your minds.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:Spoiler alert: we really liked this book.
If you didn't, I'd be worried that you were losing your minds.

for sure. The page with the Darque Babies is CREEPY!

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

Enjoyed the Shadowman #0 commentary, agree with Elveen about the creepy closeness of Nicky and Sandria, you pointed out a couple things that made it a little more creepy and disturbing for me(like when Sandria sheds a tear in the mirror and you don't know whether Nicky is leaving or closing the door...)

One thing i'll take issue with is the idea that this book didn't show Nicky (Master Darque) as being the villain he will become. I think we see a progression of disturbing behavior from blowing up the bunny because Sandria wouldn't pay attention to him (although he is remorseful and tries to "fix" it) to the already mentioned creepy, unhealthy and obsessive closeness he has with his sister and most importantly the fact that he sucked the life out of everything around him including the farm, the animals and human life(!) presumably men, women and children lives were ended to save his sister. That is whole bucketful of wrong. Maybe it can be seen as 'in the moment' anguish but the pattern suggests an obsessive and possessive behavior and complete disregard and contempt for everyone and everything else around him that doesn't interest him. I think that's the blue print for a future villain.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

bygranddesign wrote:Enjoyed the Shadowman #0 commentary, agree with Elveen about the creepy closeness of Nicky and Sandria, you pointed out a couple things that made it a little more creepy and disturbing for me(like when Sandria sheds a tear in the mirror and you don't know whether Nicky is leaving or closing the door...)

One thing i'll take issue with is the idea that this book didn't show Nicky (Master Darque) as being the villain he will become. I think we see a progression of disturbing behavior from blowing up the bunny because Sandria wouldn't pay attention to him (although he is remorseful and tries to "fix" it) to the already mentioned creepy, unhealthy and obsessive closeness he has with his sister and most importantly the fact that he sucked the life out of everything around him including the farm, the animals and human life(!) presumably men, women and children lives were ended to save his sister. That is whole bucketful of wrong. Maybe it can be seen as 'in the moment' anguish but the pattern suggests an obsessive and possessive behavior and complete disregard and contempt for everyone and everything else around him that doesn't interest him. I think that's the blue print for a future villain.
I'll give a quick counter point.

I'm glad Darque (Master/Nicky) did not come off as "evil". There will be great stories to read about how he became "evil".

And taking the life out of everything around him is for sure a bucketful of wrong. But in the moment he did it for the "right" reasons. Is there anything WE would not do to save a loved one in the moment? Especially if we had the "power" to save them.

Brilliant character development.

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

Elveen wrote:
I'll give a quick counter point.

I'm glad Darque (Master/Nicky) did not come off as "evil". There will be great stories to read about how he became "evil".

And taking the life out of everything around him is for sure a bucketful of wrong. But in the moment he did it for the "right" reasons. Is there anything WE would not do to save a loved one in the moment? Especially if we had the "power" to save them.

Brilliant character development.
yep. good points.
I think that's what made the story and the development of the characters so compelling - these are not bad kids. The brother and sister care about each other, they play in the snow, they comfort each other... Nicky wasn't born "evil" but he was born with POWER and with a father that instilled him a need to continually develop that power. And so the events that unfold are not simply "evil" but a culmination of events from an isolated upbringing, corruption of power and a practicing of dark magic (especially at a young age), a realization that your father is using you as an "instrument" and the loss of the only person you care about most in the world - is what lead to this devastating use of power. I think the slaves that lost loved ones, understandably, will not be so forgiving. I have a feeling that's when Shadowman comes to America.

I'm hoping that present day Master Darque is equally complex and nuanced. I hope he is not just purely some sadistic *SQUEE* who enjoys unleashing evil on the world to hurt good people. What I have loved about the re-launch is the careful development of the "villains" in the universe specifically with Harada throughout Harbinger and now with Master Darque in SM #0 ... and I hope that continues.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

ValiantReader
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1
Favorite character: Torque

Post by ValiantReader »

Where is this weeks new episode?

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

ValiantReader wrote:Where is this weeks new episode?
Oh I barely noticed it's not like there is supposed to be a big prize announcement or anything!!

I hope for me first :thumb: then MarkRoseHFX :) then everybody else 8-) then..................................Dunlow :!:

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Oh I barely noticed it's not like there is supposed to be a big prize announcement or anything!!

I hope for me first :thumb: then MarkRoseHFX :) then everybody else 8-) then..................................Dunlow :!:
I don't know who else entered :? whoever wins is no doubt a big fan so that's all good to me, even if it is dunlow *sigh* :lol:

if I win I might *Squee* my pants

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

No worries, guys. I didn't even send in an entry. I was too busy reading comics and watching the playoffs to sift through the episodes.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:No worries, guys. I didn't even send in an entry. I was too busy reading comics and watching the playoffs to sift through the episodes.
damn should have told me, i would have hooked you up with the answers.

PSN- gorakthebunny

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:

I don't know who else entered :? whoever wins is no doubt a big fan so that's all good to me, even if it is dunlow *sigh* :lol:

I too would Squee pants, prayin for you bro (but me more so :wink:) :hope:

That said I pussed out on the double bonus and went with "leather edition" I'm sure you dug up something brilliant.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

hawkeyeps wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:

I too would Squee pants, prayin for you bro (but me more so :wink:) :hope:

That said I pussed out on the double bonus and went with "leather edition" I'm sure you dug up something brilliant.
not really briliant but I think the best I could do based on what was on the podcast. I guessed Geomancers based on Chiclo mentioning more than once that Sean had tricked him into reading the entire Geomancer series. don't think it's right though.

PSN- gorakthebunny