Unity!

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California
Unity!

Post by KXXX »

I just finished my first complete Unity read and I'm about to dive back in because I just received my TPB set in the mail. This read included Unity: The Lost Chapter.

I have to say, the single most striking thing for me is the artwork on the Magnus books. It's so damn hard to look at. I suppose I can understand that Ernie Colon was an old guy even then. I am not looking forward to reading the previous two issues of Magnus when I get my hands on them for that reason.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Re: Unity!

Post by kevinbastos »

I have said this often. And invited the scorn of many by...

Criticizing...

The Xyrkol trilogy.

When I initially collected Valiant, I may have been the only Valiant person NOT buying Magnus. I had started collecting during Unity, and bought up all I could EXCEPT Magnus.

As a result, I had a copy of all Harbingers - and no Magnus. But loved Rai. Go figure.

YEARS later, I finally went back and enjoyed the first runs. 1-8. They are some of the strongest in the Valiant run.

Here's my review from 2011.

http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com/magnu ... er-15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

I can see that, though. It wasn't much compared to the previous two arcs.

the1captain
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by the1captain »

KXXX wrote:I just finished my first complete Unity read and I'm about to dive back in because I just received my TPB set in the mail. This read included Unity: The Lost Chapter.

I have to say, the single most striking thing for me is the artwork on the Magnus books. It's so damn hard to look at. I suppose I can understand that Ernie Colon was an old guy even then. I am not looking forward to reading the previous two issues of Magnus when I get my hands on them for that reason.
I just could never get past Magnus wearing a skirt and white go go boots.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

the1captain wrote:
KXXX wrote:I just finished my first complete Unity read and I'm about to dive back in because I just received my TPB set in the mail. This read included Unity: The Lost Chapter.

Get past it. The first eight issues are masterful.
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, I'm right.

the1captain

Post by the1captain »

kevinbastos wrote:
the1captain wrote:

Get past it. The first eight issues are masterful.
I've read them. Wasn't crazy about the first few. But I liked the "flip book" story with Rai.

Magnus didn't wear pants. Rai didn't wear a shirt. It's like the Valiant version of Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse!lol

Don't be offended Valiant fans. I'm a fan too. But we can have some fun once in a while.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

Honestly, I've read through Magnus up to 25 at this point and it is fast-becoming my favorite book.

As for my statement about Ernie Colon, I still stand by hating the Unity books, but issues 13 and 14 are stunning to me. Amazing, even.

As for Magnus' costume... the tunic I can dig. The white boots are definitely goofy, but hey... it was the 50's, ya dig?

Good call on the Mickey and Donald :lol:

I'm in the midst of the Malev War right now, and I dig it so hard. It's great to bounce back and forth between Rai and Magnus again. I liked the concept of the 42nd (Tohru) Rai more than the newer one, but he beats the old in the personality department by a mile.

The 'mindlock' thing is cheesy. Not the idea, but the fact he has to say it out loud every time he does it is pretty cringe-worthy.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

KXXX wrote:Honestly, I've read through Magnus up to 25 at this point and it is fast-becoming my favorite book.

I'm in the midst of the Malev War right now, and I dig it so hard.
I'm late to this thread but I will say it again: Magnus was the best book VH1 produced and I enjoyed the Malev War so much more in my recent re-read.

I would love to see VEI reboot Magnus. Just so long as you-know-who doesn't get to stomp all over the concept of freewill. :lol:

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

I don't know who...

It really is a solid book. I'm interested to see how the Malev war wraps up... I was short a couple Rai issues but they should almost all be in my possesion soon. Can't wait.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

It's strange. When I read Malev War back in the day - it was crazy-ish, and slow. On the re-read - all in a row - it was much better.

Have you listened to the onlythevaliant podcast about it? Pretty much hits the nail on the head.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

No... I have some catching up with them. I've only listened to the first one and since there's still so much I haven't read I don't want to possibly spoil anything.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

KXXX wrote:No... I have some catching up with them. I've only listened to the first one and since there's still so much I haven't read I don't want to possibly spoil anything.

Don't let that get in front of you. It's a pile of fun.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

So I've been slacking. I'm almost done now but I have some questions. I'm sure these have come up before so bear with me.

First, the two Gilads on day 1... there seem to be conflicting issues here. They stand right near one another at the very beginning when Geoff comes back with Solar's hand. In EW#2, though, Geoff introduces them to one another at night when they retreat. Further complicating matters is Magnus #16, where Magnus explains shortly after everyone arrives that there is a Gil from 1992 and 4001.

Also conflicting between those two books is the incidents on day 157, when Geoff confronts Mothergod. in EW#2 Geoff is depicted as disappearing when the two Gilads cpme to his rescue. He is presumed dead by them as they retreat, but on the same day he bumps into Magnus (also presumed dead) at which point there is another confrontation with Mothergod. It doesn't make much sense that Geoff would run right back up there with Magnus. Further complicating matters is the Rai companion, which explains that whe Mothergod attacks Geoff he slips into a secret passage, where he remains trapped for 'days' until X-O busts in to save him. One issue here is that Unity ends the day after the day his escape, so being trapped for 'days' isn't possible.

The Unity timeline in the Vol 4 states that both confrontations happen. I suppose it is possible that they did and the Rai Companion could simply be considered 'mistaken' in it's proclamation of Geoff's 'days' in hiding.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

the1captain wrote: I just could never get past Magnus wearing a skirt and white go go boots.
IT'S A TUNIC!!!

But those are definitely go-go boots.

*ROFL*

-slym
Last edited by slym2none on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:09:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

KXXX wrote:So I've been slacking. I'm almost done now but I have some questions. I'm sure these have come up before so bear with me.

First, the two Gilads on day 1... there seem to be conflicting issues here. They stand right near one another at the very beginning when Geoff comes back with Solar's hand. In EW#2, though, Geoff introduces them to one another at night when they retreat. Further complicating matters is Magnus #16, where Magnus explains shortly after everyone arrives that there is a Gil from 1992 and 4001.

Also conflicting between those two books is the incidents on day 157, when Geoff confronts Mothergod. in EW#2 Geoff is depicted as disappearing when the two Gilads cpme to his rescue. He is presumed dead by them as they retreat, but on the same day he bumps into Magnus (also presumed dead) at which point there is another confrontation with Mothergod. It doesn't make much sense that Geoff would run right back up there with Magnus. Further complicating matters is the Rai companion, which explains that whe Mothergod attacks Geoff he slips into a secret passage, where he remains trapped for 'days' until X-O busts in to save him. One issue here is that Unity ends the day after the day his escape, so being trapped for 'days' isn't possible.

The Unity timeline in the Vol 4 states that both confrontations happen. I suppose it is possible that they did and the Rai Companion could simply be considered 'mistaken' in it's proclamation of Geoff's 'days' in hiding.
"Time is not absolute."

:P :lol: :twisted:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

"Except here, in this Lost Land."

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

1/10 for style on that Chiclo'ing.

:P

-slym

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

The Ernie Colon books are some of my faves. I loved it, along with the different coloring. Ah, well.