ANOTHER AUCTION TO HELP SQUIRREL - EBAY ENDING 6/15

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by BloodShot »

drmirage wrote:It ain't over till the fat lady sings according to Jay (Bloodshot) :high-five:
Effin' A, Cotton; Effin' A 8-) !
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

BloodShot

Post by BloodShot »

Squirrel wrote:only regret is selling all my A&A stuff facepalm
Hey, Scott.

After conferring with Bruce and Elery, we've come up with a plan to take care of at least some of that, as well.

Please PM me your preferred mailing address, and I'll get "that" out to you as soon as my work schedule will allow 8-) .

Cheers,

-Jay

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS
Re: ANOTHER AUCTION TO HELP SQUIRREL - EBAY ENDING 6/15

Post by drmirage »

Jay has just offered To send Squirrel a full run of VH1 A&A including the A&A #0 Gold plus a full VEI A&A Regular and Pullbox covers so that Squirrel will have acces his favorite Valiant title.

:clap:

brucehartshorn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: MRF #1
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by brucehartshorn »

Just sent Squirrel the auction proceeds. Some inquiries came in after the sales were done and we sold off some of the items which didn't sell.

So the end result was............................$523.00 that went to Squirrel to help with the medical bills.

Thanks to: drmirage, Caniac, Former Reader, Intrepidxc, Magnusr, Bloodshot, and all the folks who purchased books and paid for them so promptly. Will drop all the orders at the post office tomorrow on my way to work.

No later than two days from now I'll write a history of how this came about and give a final wrapup for everyone.

It seems like Elery and I are getting to be "project guys "which isn't a bad thing to be known as. And......there are more to come. :D

Just feels good being able to "pay it forward" and have so many others help!

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Great job everyone! Also wanted to give special thanks go Greg Holland who put a sticky on this topic. That certainly gave us a larger audience :popcorn:

Greg's a superstar! :superstar:

Squirrel
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?

Post by Squirrel »

drmirage wrote:Jay has just offered To send Squirrel a full run of VH1 A&A including the A&A #0 Gold plus a full VEI A&A Regular and Pullbox covers so that Squirrel will have acces his favorite Valiant title.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

brucehartshorn wrote:Just sent Squirrel the auction proceeds. Some inquiries came in after the sales were done and we sold off some of the items which didn't sell.

So the end result was............................$523.00 that went to Squirrel to help with the medical bills.

Thanks to: drmirage, Caniac, Former Reader, Intrepidxc, Magnusr, Bloodshot, and all the folks who purchased books and paid for them so promptly. Will drop all the orders at the post office tomorrow on my way to work.

No later than two days from now I'll write a history of how this came about and give a final wrapup for everyone.

It seems like Elery and I are getting to be "project guys "which isn't a bad thing to be known as. And......there are more to come. :D

Just feels good being able to "pay it forward" and have so many others help!
wow...im speechless guys...but I wanna write something up and try to say thank you :cloud9:

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have to admit, I spent $25 of the money you guys sent so I could take my son & gf (who takes me to all my doc appt & to get my prescriptions, etc)

my son Ian & me....we saw MAN OF STEEL in 3D :popcorn:

BTW - Im 6ft and my son is 11 yr old...hes almost my height

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I just wanted to share this with everyone....

Ian got....First honors, High scholarship!! only the top 10% of the whole school ( K - 8 ) received this honor....he has been straight A's his whole time in school.

He goes to St Anne Catholic School since Kindergarden...he now goes into grade 7 this fall :clap:

BloodShot

Post by BloodShot »

Awesomeness :clap: !!

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Thanks for sharing.

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

:clap: Sweet!

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

Very awesome :thumb:

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Great news! :clap:

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

:thumb:

brucehartshorn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by brucehartshorn »

Wrap Up Review:

As we worked on the "It Just Better to Be a Valiant Supporter" project, Elery had asked if I had read about Squirrel's medical challenges to which I said "yes". Elery then proceeded to tell me that he felt compelled to do something to help out and would I assist with that to which I told him certainly I would.

We discussed the form such assistance would take several times: Did we ask members here to contribute books to be sold or auctioned, did we do this as a big lot or singles, did we ask VEI to help or not, how long would we run a sale/auction, would it be ebay or just on the board......the discussions went back and forth for quite a while.

The final solution we jointly came to was that I would pull some duplicates I had, put them as 31 individual auctions in my ebay store for 10 days and let the board members know. For his part Elery said that he would match the first $100.00 in sales from the auctions, dollar for dollar. Also, Elery contacted Greg to tell him what we were trying to do to help Squirrel. Greg immediately agree to put a stickie on the post so that it would stay at the top of the Auction Secition here on the board for best possible exposure (which was a HUGE HELP).

I posted the 31 items and did a write up letting the board members know what we were doing and why. Then we waited to see what would happen. Boy, were Elery and I surprised.

Part way into the 10 day auctions, Caniac started it by saying that he simply wanted to make a direct donation to Squirrel to help. FormerReader quickly followed up saying the same thing! Then Intrepidxc stepped up and made a huge contribution, again directly to Squirrel to help out. But we weren't done yet. The auctions headed toward their conclusion and Intrepidxc challenged everyone that with the way it was going, we should hit $500.00 for this effort. When the auctions ended, we had a total of $421 between sales and direct cash donations. So we fell short of the $500.00 goal.

But wait a minute......This board wasn't going to let THAT happen for such a worthy cause. Magnusr followed this thread and when he saw the update of the results, he made the $79.00 balance up in a direct donation to Squirrel. $500 Goal Achieved!

But it wasn't done there. Oh no. Greg stepped up and picked up some of the books which did not sell. Final result in funds raised and sent to Squirrel.....$523.00

And it STILL wasn't done. Previously Squirrel had written how one of the hardest things that he had to do when he got rid of his collection here on the board, as to give up his favorite set of books, Archer & Armstrong. Bloodshot had seen this and felt that just wasn't right. So from his own collection of books, he pulled together a #0 - #26 run of VH1 Archer & Armstong, threw in a GOLD #0 issue, and then completed it with a full run of regular and pullbox covers of the VEI Archer & Armstrong and is sending these to Squirrel so that he can still enjoy his favorite Valiant characters.

Way back when Elery and I first started talking about how to do this, we never could have imagined the wide ranging and total support from the members here, all in an attempt to help one of our own. To say such selfless support is genuinely appreciated by us is a vast understatement. The folks here are the best. T H A N K Y O U to everyone who helped out with this! :high-five:

Now, Elery and I are off on a couple of other "projects" to help VEI. Stay tuned to see what we have in store. It will be a lot of fun.
Last edited by brucehartshorn on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

You guys are like Santa!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

brucehartshorn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by brucehartshorn »

Ho Ho Ho! :lol:

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

:?

Great write up!!! Would have not been able do this alone. Many thanks Bruce. :thumb:
brucehartshorn wrote:Wrap Up Review:

As we worked on the "It Just Better to Be a Valiant Supporter" project, Elery had asked if I had read about Squirrel's medical challenges to which I said "yes". Elery then proceeded to tell me that he felt compelled to do something to help out and would I assist with that to which I told him certainly I would.

We discussed the form such assistance would take several times: Did we ask members here to contribute books to be sold or auctioned, did we do this as a big lot or singles, did we ask VEI to help or not, how long would we run a sale/auction, would it be ebay or just on the board......the discussions went back and forth for quite a while.

The final solution we jointly came to was that I would pull some duplicates I had, put them as 31 individual auctions in my ebay store for 10 days and let the board members know. For his part Elery said that he would match the first $100.00 in sales from the auctions, dollar for dollar. Also, Elery contacted Greg to tell him what we were trying to do to help Squirrel. Greg immediately agree to put a stickie on the post so that it would stay at the top of the Auction Secition here on the board for best possible exposure (which was a HUGE HELP).

I posted the 31 items and did a write up letting the board members know what we were doing and why. Then we waited to see what would happen. Boy, were Elery and I surprised.

Part way into the 10 day auctions, Caniac started it by saying that he simply wanted to make a direct donation to Squirrel to help. FormerReader quickly followed up saying the same thing! Then Intrepidxc stepped up and made a huge contribution, again directly to Squirrel to help out. But we weren't done yet. The auctions headed toward their conclusion and Intrepidxc challenged everyone that with the way it was going, we should hit $500.00 for this effort. When the auctions ended, we had a total of $423 between sales and direct cash donations. So we fell short of the $500.00 goal.

But wait a minute......This board wasn't going to let THAT happen for such a worthy cause. Magnusr followed this thread and when he saw the update of the results, he made the $79.00 balance up in a direct donation to Squirrel. $500 Goal Achieved!

But it wasn't done there. Oh no. Greg stepped up and picked up some of the books which did not sell. Final result in funds raised and sent to Squirrel.....$523.00

And it STILL wasn't done. Previously Squirrel had written how one of the hardest things that he had to do when he got rid of his collection here on the board, as to give up his favorite set of books, Archer & Armstrong. Bloodshot had seen this and felt that just wasn't right. So from his own collection of books, he pulled together a #0 - #26 run of VH1 Archer & Armstong, threw in a GOLD #0 issue, and then completed it with a full run of regular and pullbox covers of the VEI Archer & Armstrong and is sending these to Squirrel so that he can still enjoy his favorite Valiant characters.

Way back when Elery and I first started talking about how to do this, we never could have imagined the wide ranging and total support from the members here, all in an attempt to help one of our own. To say such selfless support is genuinely appreciated by us is a vast understatement. The folks here are the best. T H A N K Y O U to everyone who helped out with this! :high-five:

Now, Elery and I are off on a couple of other "projects" to help VEI. Stay tuned to see what we have in store. It will be a lot of fun.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

Well done to Bruce and Elery. You guys are part of what makes this board so great! :clap:

caniac
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Follow up summary. Reading on Bruce's wrap up, a few more thoughts. (I can't really add any more from what Bruce has said)

I'm not really good in saying the things I feel inside, but I want everyone who supported now know how much this has meant. Squirrel has mentioned that every penny that was contributed has mattered.

Thank you Bruce for setting this up. I'm sure it took you time to take pics, add the descriptions and mail all those packages.

A little back story... when I read Bruce's PM about he wanted to auction of 31 books starting at 1/2 the price of Greg's guide. I re-read that PM several times and I wanted to say. Are you HIGH?? Bruce said, well, its what he wanted to do, these are doubles... what more can better these can do plus its for a good cause.

Very selfless of you and :thumb: well done.

BloodShot

Post by BloodShot »

***UPDATE!!!

For the information of "all hands" (but mainly Scott :P ):

Although I'm sure I'll never get tagged as being the fastest shipper around these here parts, it should come as NO surprise to anyone that knows me, I always deliver the goods 8-) .

That said, I finally got around to pulling all of Squirrel's books; slipping them into fresh bags'n'boards; packing them up; and shippin' 'em out.

Behold:

And, Scott, once you go through these, you might notice I included a couple of extra books not previously discussed; simply because I didn't think of it initially, or completely forget that I had them. Like the NM+/M-! copy of the VEI A&A #1 2nd print and the V1 A&A #0 signed by Jim Shooter w/COA. Figured you "might" want those, too :wink: .

And in case I failed to mention it before, with the exception of the A&A #0 GOLD, the entire V1 run of A&A #0-#26 were originally purchased by me when originally released and have not been read or even touched by anyone else for over 20 years.

As shown on the receipt, these should show up at some point on Wednesday. When they do, I hope this "new" A&A collection puts a smile on your face. If it does, then it was certainly well worth it.

Enjoy 'em, my friend.

Best,

-B

brucehartshorn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by brucehartshorn »

Bloodshot,

As I said before, this package supports a part for Squirrel which is equally as needed as the financial support. Thank you soooooo much for helping out in this truly original way. It speaks volumes to the genuinely thoughtful and selfless friend that you are. This board is extremely fortunate to have such members as you. :thumb:

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

:o Wow! :clap:

Jay never ceases to impress me.

This is just EPIC!