What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jenkinsMachine
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by jenkinsMachine »

caxiotis wrote:Read Nowhere Men #1-3. Not sure what to think about it (which is not a bad thing). I have to think about it for a little while and then reread it.
Wanna hear something ridiculous? i seen issue 1 first print and issue 2 at the store and i passed it up(kicking my self in the head ever since)
it wouldn't bother me much if it was like saga second prints the same image just alittle different.
but thats not the case and on ebay they are an arm and a leg.. i just want to read the story.. it sucks so many people are hyping up the image comics at the moment.
pull list:green lantern*swamp thing*Animal man*Earth 2*Dial H*I,Vampire*Justice league*The Boys*
Batman (inc)*Earth 2*All-star western*saga*revival*Ursa minor*Critter*X-O Manowar*Harbinger*Bloodshot*Archer& Armstrong

jenkinsMachine

Post by jenkinsMachine »

400yrs wrote:The people who like the Goon really like it.

I tried a few issues and I think a trade, but nothing about it caught my interest.
hey what is morning glories about? is there any kinda like supernatural or superheroes kinda thing in there doesn't seem like that kinda book.
pull list:green lantern*swamp thing*Animal man*Earth 2*Dial H*I,Vampire*Justice league*The Boys*
Batman (inc)*Earth 2*All-star western*saga*revival*Ursa minor*Critter*X-O Manowar*Harbinger*Bloodshot*Archer& Armstrong

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:Superior Spider-Man 3
This series is excellent. I'm very much enjoying the ride!
Great fun comics.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I just finished the Peter Panzerfaust trade. First, I feel really stupid for not realizing it was a take on Peter Pan(zerfaust - duh) until Wendy, John, and Michael showed up. This book is good, but I'm not really that into it. It would be a great TV show, though. The art kept reminding me of Cowboy Bebop.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

jenkinsMachine

Post by jenkinsMachine »

lorddunlow wrote:I just finished the Peter Panzerfaust trade. First, I feel really stupid for not realizing it was a take on Peter Pan(zerfaust - duh) until Wendy, John, and Michael showed up. This book is good, but I'm not really that into it. It would be a great TV show, though. The art kept reminding me of Cowboy Bebop.
dont feel stupid i didn't know it was an adaptation of peter pan everybody keeps saying its like inglorious *SQUEE* just with younger kids.. idk seems cool still haven't gotten around to getting the trade yet.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Django Unchained #1. I bought this with the intention of reading it and then getting rid of it, not expecting much. Much to my surprise, as soon as I turned to the first story page, I discovered that one of my favorites, RM Guera (Scalped) did the art. This was really excellent. I haven't seen the movie and don't know much about it, but I definitely want to now.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Green Arrow #17 - This is getting great reviews. I tried it because Jeff Lemire is writing it and I love his stuff, usually. This kind of fell flat for me. If you compare this to the archer-dude book in the Marvel Universe there is absolutely no comparison. Hawkguy wins.
ASM Crossover Home

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Batman #17.
I had to re-read it in order to have a solid opinion in it. I liked it very much, particularly the way that the rug was pulled on us readers, but I don't think it was the "mother of all events"- and the fact that DC advertised this arc as a truly status quo changer makes me a bit... angry?

I envy the readers who will get this without being showered with hype.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

jenkinsMachine

Post by jenkinsMachine »

ShadowTuga wrote:Batman #17.
I had to re-read it in order to have a solid opinion in it. I liked it very much, particularly the way that the rug was pulled on us readers, but I don't think it was the "mother of all events"- and the fact that DC advertised this arc as a truly status quo changer makes me a bit... angry?

it kinda sucks to be honest i didn't buy all the books but they made this center around alot of the books..
I was hoping for a big payoff, in my opinion joker dying seems like a possibility like Batman let him get away with murder..
jason todd would finally be happy with bruce but its not like he necessary hates him but still..
i understand the bat family is broken but that seemed like a spit in the face for all those devout readers that were looking for at least another death to combat professor X dying in marvel.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

jenkinsMachine wrote:

it kinda sucks to be honest i didn't buy all the books but they made this center around alot of the books..
I was hoping for a big payoff, in my opinion joker dying seems like a possibility like Batman let him get away with murder..
jason todd would finally be happy with bruce but its not like he necessary hates him but still..
i understand the bat family is broken but that seemed like a spit in the face for all those devout readers that were looking for at least another death to combat professor X dying in marvel.

I've only been reading Batman. I thought the first issue in this arc was brilliant. The last several, I don't really get what is going on. Everyone seems to be loving it, but I'm kind of like "huh?". I don't get this last issue at all. It doesn't seem like anything big happened here. In the end, it seems like a very typical corporate character comic book storyline and really, not an unpredictable one by any means. People love it though. Give me Invincible over this any day of the week.

Snyder's Tec run remains my favorite Batman work.
ASM Crossover Home

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

400yrs wrote:
jenkinsMachine wrote:

I've only been reading Batman. I thought the first issue in this arc was brilliant. The last several, I don't really get what is going on. Everyone seems to be loving it, but I'm kind of like "huh?". I don't get this last issue at all. It doesn't seem like anything big happened here. In the end, it seems like a very typical corporate character comic book storyline and really, not an unpredictable one by any means. People love it though. Give me Invincible over this any day of the week.

The fact that "nothing happened"completely caught me by surprise, and after the shock goes away, it grows on you. So,it was all a joke, and the Joker really doesn't care who IS Batman?I guess this might be very obvious now, but 2 days ago, it was a different scenario. I never once read any prediction that pointed in this way, not one time. Snyder 1 Fans 0.

And if one thinks about it, it is a story that perfectly embodies what the character is all about: you CAN'T predict what the Joker is going to do next. You can't. He's pure chaos. He's the opposite of Batman's "planning". He's like a musician jamming, if this makes any sense. :?
Like I said, I think anyone coming into this without the internet noise is going to appreciate it more for what it is. And yeah, the tie-ins and all the stuff were completely dispensable (despite a very good B&R issue), I also think that was just cash-grab.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I think reading it as singles month by month hurt my enjoyment of it. I think if I went back and read just the Batman issues again, I'd probably enjoy it more. Reading it in singles, it really felt like nothing was happening story wise, other than the Joker being crazy and I know that to be the case anyway.

I really need to re-read the whole thing, but did the Joker capture the family members in the main Batman title or was that in the other books? I remember Alfred, but not the rest and it was a little weird just seeing everyone sitting at a table together with masks.

I know with Throne of Atlantis, it makes alot more linear sense when you read both JL and Aquaman rather than just trying to read Aquaman. Maybe the other titles were necessary to enjoy this?
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Just read Manhattan Projects #9 last night. Another awesome issue, but I'm confused at the move forward in time. It goes straight from Oppenheimer eating Truman to Kennedy's moon speech. They skipped Eisenhower altogether. This was, by far, the funniest issue to date.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

jenkinsMachine

Post by jenkinsMachine »

ShadowTuga wrote:
400yrs wrote:
jenkinsMachine wrote:

The fact that "nothing happened"completely caught me by surprise, and after the shock goes away, it grows on you. So,it was all a joke, and the Joker really doesn't care who IS Batman?I guess this might be very obvious now, but 2 days ago, it was a different scenario. I never once read any prediction that pointed in this way, not one time. Snyder 1 Fans 0.

And if one thinks about it, it is a story that perfectly embodies what the character is all about: you CAN'T predict what the Joker is going to do next. You can't. He's pure chaos. He's the opposite of Batman's "planning". He's like a musician jamming, if this makes any sense. :?
Like I said, I think anyone coming into this without the internet noise is going to appreciate it more for what it is. And yeah, the tie-ins and all the stuff were completely dispensable (despite a very good B&R issue), I also think that was just cash-grab.
deff a cash-grab, like i understand the whole you cant predict what joker is going to do next.. for instance i think it was red hood and the outlaws 16 (joker and jason are having a back and forth joker is hitting his mask with the crowbar telling him doesn't this seem familar or something along the lines like that but then jason over powers him and gets the crowbar from him hits joker a few times.. then the crowbar was electric....

i could understand if joker was some kinda meta human hes not... and all these things seem nothing but bullcrap when i read it my eyes drop like half way in disbelief.. i really leaning more towards indy books now DC is so bland and everything is so iconic they can just play on that. not saying the comics are bad but i know a site where i can download them and save about 40 bucks a month.

jenkinsMachine

Post by jenkinsMachine »

I've been reading invincibles its amazing.. you are never on their level and yeah im on issue 30 and still got to catch up..
this is a great book

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Careful with brand new issues spoilers guys. Batman only came out Wednesday. Cheers to those using the spoiler tag!

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote:Careful with brand new issues spoilers guys. Batman only came out Wednesday. Cheers to those using the spoiler tag!
Manbat dies!
ASM Crossover Home

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Archer & Armstrong 7
Bloodshot 8
Walking Dead 107
Governor Special #1
Cable & X-Force #4
Uncanny X-Men #1
Uncanny Avengers #3
Wolverine Max #3
Manhattan Projects 9
Clone #4
Scarlet Spider #12, 12.1, 13, 14
Captain Marvel 7-9
ASM 699.1

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote:Careful with brand new issues spoilers guys. Batman only came out Wednesday. Cheers to those using the spoiler tag!
Manbat dies!
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo Kirk Langstrom you were a superflous chraracter! :lol:

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Yeah, please watch spoilers. I just ordered the new 52 Batman books

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

This week, in addition to Valiant books, I picked up:

Manhattan Projects #9
Star Wars #2
Cable and X-Force #4
Buffy (old habits die hard. this one really should die)
Uncanny X-men #1 (not bad)

I also picked up Sherlock Holmes Year One #1-3 this weekend.
Read the first Morning Glories tpb last week and I am hooked.
Picked up The New Deadwardians tpb (first) and enjoyed that as well.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Lightning Strike wrote:

Alfred wears a teddy!
ASM Crossover Home

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

400yrs wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:

Alfred wears a teddy!
Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!! :!:

8-)

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

pixierosa wrote:This week, in addition to Valiant books, I picked up:

Manhattan Projects #9
Star Wars #2
Cable and X-Force #4
Buffy (old habits die hard. this one really should die)
Uncanny X-men #1 (not bad)

I also picked up Sherlock Holmes Year One #1-3 this weekend.
Read the first Morning Glories tpb last week and I am hooked.
Picked up The New Deadwardians tpb (first) and enjoyed that as well.
Every month while doing my pre-orders, I try to drop the Buffy titles and there will be some reason I don't. I think last month, Buffy was finishing a story arc. This month it was because Angel and Faith was featuring a Spike story. I think this is a variation on my "Battered Marvel Fan Syndrome" diagnosis.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Star Wars 1 and 2. This was pretty good.
ASM Crossover Home