What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jenkinsMachine
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by jenkinsMachine »

ian_house wrote:Careful with brand new issues spoilers guys. Batman only came out Wednesday. Cheers to those using the spoiler tag!

There's nothing for me to spoil..
pull list:green lantern*swamp thing*Animal man*Earth 2*Dial H*I,Vampire*Justice league*The Boys*
Batman (inc)*Earth 2*All-star western*saga*revival*Ursa minor*Critter*X-O Manowar*Harbinger*Bloodshot*Archer& Armstrong

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

I just re-read my Peter Panzerfaust trade again and I almost want to start right back at the beginning and read it again. I've pretty much fallen in love with this first trade. I guess the best way to describe it is as a war / adventure story that is driven by the characters within the story. There's a grande tale that Weibe is writing here. You can just see it throughout the book. Not to mention, I love the simple art and the beautiful colors.

I've owned a few copies of the #1 1st print, but got rid of them a while ago. I'm fine with that, as it's all about reading the story in this book for me. I'd love to get an oversized HC like TWD or Invincible out of this book.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

400yrs wrote:I just re-read my Peter Panzerfaust trade again and I almost want to start right back at the beginning and read it again. I've pretty much fallen in love with this first trade. I guess the best way to describe it is as a war / adventure story that is driven by the characters within the story. There's a grande tale that Weibe is writing here. You can just see it throughout the book. Not to mention, I love the simple art and the beautiful colors.

I've owned a few copies of the #1 1st print, but got rid of them a while ago. I'm fine with that, as it's all about reading the story in this book for me. I'd love to get an oversized HC like TWD or Invincible out of this book.
I want to like Peter Panzerfaust, but so far reading it just feels too much like a chore. I have only read the trade. What issue are singles on? Maybe if I read some more I'll get into it. Don't get me wrong it is well written with interesting characters, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. The art, I like, but I feel the fact it reminds me soooo much of Cowboy Bebop makes me want more humor in the book
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

lorddunlow wrote:
400yrs wrote:I just re-read my Peter Panzerfaust trade again and I almost want to start right back at the beginning and read it again. I've pretty much fallen in love with this first trade. I guess the best way to describe it is as a war / adventure story that is driven by the characters within the story. There's a grande tale that Weibe is writing here. You can just see it throughout the book. Not to mention, I love the simple art and the beautiful colors.

I want to like Peter Panzerfaust, but so far reading it just feels too much like a chore. I have only read the trade. What issue are singles on? Maybe if I read some more I'll get into it. Don't get me wrong it is well written with interesting characters, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. The art, I like, but I feel the fact it reminds me soooo much of Cowboy Bebop makes me want more humor in the book
#9 just came out. I have no idea of what Cowboy Bebop is, but this is a pretty serious character study kind of book rather than something humor / slapsticky.
ASM Crossover Home

jenkinsMachine

Post by jenkinsMachine »

400yrs wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

#9 just came out. I have no idea of what Cowboy Bebop is, but this is a pretty serious character study kind of book rather than something humor / slapsticky.
lol search cowboy bebop and you will see a white peter panzerfaust, naw but just the art is really similar.
yeah i been reading Invincible's, 100 bullets and the boys.
i just bought the first trade of the boys its crazy. not that bad art either
pull list:green lantern*swamp thing*Animal man*Earth 2*Dial H*I,Vampire*Justice league*The Boys*
Batman (inc)*Earth 2*All-star western*saga*revival*Ursa minor*Critter*X-O Manowar*Harbinger*Bloodshot*Archer& Armstrong

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

400yrs wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

It's an anime/manga, and it's actually quite good. Here is its wiki page http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop. It's definitely not slapstick, but it's more like a Tarantino film with lots of dark humor in addition to violence. I'm not saying PP needs a lot of humor but in copying this art style, I feel like there should be more humor.

jenkinsMachine

Post by jenkinsMachine »

400yrs wrote:I think reading it as singles month by month hurt my enjoyment of it. I think if I went back and read just the Batman issues again, I'd probably enjoy it more. Reading it in singles, it really felt like nothing was happening story wise, other than the Joker being crazy and I know that to be the case anyway.

I really need to re-read the whole thing, but did the Joker capture the family members in the main Batman title or was that in the other books? I remember Alfred, but not the rest and it was a little weird just seeing everyone sitting at a table together with masks.

I know with Throne of Atlantis, it makes alot more linear sense when you read both JL and Aquaman rather than just trying to read Aquaman. Maybe the other titles were necessary to enjoy this?
If you read each book they all go there to stop joker or rescue Bruce.
some way joker tricks each of them every time..
other than good art DC got nothing going for them,expanding my horizons onto more Indy comics that's more my taste.
story wise they milk the same characters too much.
facepalm honestly why isn't joker dead.

tetrisdork

Post by tetrisdork »

jenkinsMachine wrote:
400yrs wrote:I think reading it as singles month by month hurt my enjoyment of it. I think if I went back and read just the Batman issues again, I'd probably enjoy it more. Reading it in singles, it really felt like nothing was happening story wise, other than the Joker being crazy and I know that to be the case anyway.

I really need to re-read the whole thing, but did the Joker capture the family members in the main Batman title or was that in the other books? I remember Alfred, but not the rest and it was a little weird just seeing everyone sitting at a table together with masks.

I know with Throne of Atlantis, it makes alot more linear sense when you read both JL and Aquaman rather than just trying to read Aquaman. Maybe the other titles were necessary to enjoy this?
other than good art DC got nothing going for them,expanding my horizons onto more Indy comics that's more my taste.
Now I'm reminded of Injustice: Gods Among Us, which has Superman pretty much killing the Joker via sticking his arm through his body.

jenkinsMachine

Post by jenkinsMachine »

tetrisdork wrote:
jenkinsMachine wrote:

Now I'm reminded of Injustice: Gods Among Us, which has Superman pretty much killing the Joker via sticking his arm through his body.
thats awesome me and my friends always putsuperman in that scenario where he is the one to kill joker because batman is a little pu$$y sorry for my french

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

i just read Judge Dredd #3 from IDW. it's great.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Batman 183. Silver age story featuring the second appearance of Poison Ivy. The story was ok - a typical silver age, cheese-cakey story. It was a bit disturbing in that Robin called Batman "Big-Daddy" on three different occassions. Weird.
ASM Crossover Home

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Dragon Age: Those Who Speak #1-3

The Transformers: Robots In Disguise #11
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I've started to re-read my Planet Hulk HC.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

Well Brian Wood finally did it. He put out a book that I actually like and enjoyed reading. I tried DMZ, Northlanders, The Massive and Star Wars and did not like any of them. I just read the first 13 issues of Conan the Barbarian and really enjoyed the read. The first 6 issues are superb (4.5/5), the next 7-9 are just okay (2/5) (story was weak and the art in issues 8-9 by Vasilis Losos is not good), 10-12 are really good (3.5/5), and 13 has got me curious to how is going to end this new story arc. I am honestly surprised that I like this book.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

caxiotis wrote:Well Brian Wood finally did it. He put out a book that I actually like and enjoyed reading. I tried DMZ, Northlanders, The Massive and Star Wars and did not like any of them. I just read the first 13 issues of Conan the Barbarian and really enjoyed the read. The first 6 issues are superb (4.5/5), the next 7-9 are just okay (2/5) (story was weak and the art in issues 8-9 by Vasilis Losos is not good), 10-12 are really good (3.5/5), and 13 has got me curious to how is going to end this new story arc. I am honestly surprised that I like this book.
The real Brian Wood gems are Pounded and Demo. :) I also loved Fight For Tomorrow but I am in the minority as a lot of people found it so-so. :D

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

lorddunlow wrote:

Ahhh! I've only read issue 1 BUT that's what the art reminded me of! I haven't watched Cowboy Bebop in forever. I'm going to have the "tank" theme stuck in my head now. :)
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

pixierosa wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Ahhh! I've only read issue 1 BUT that's what the art reminded me of! I haven't watched Cowboy Bebop in forever. I'm going to have the "tank" theme stuck in my head now. :)
I like Cowboy Bebop, especially the art style. I love the story of Peter Pan. I like the quality of the writing in this book. I like character studies. I don't know why I can't get more interested in this book. I think if it had a bit more humor I would really enjoy it. It really looks like Cowboy Bebop, though - which isn't a bad thing.

On topic, I'm currently reading the old New Universe stuff, and I'm really liking it! Avengers #6 and the discussion from the New Universe guys on here made me take the plunge. I expected bad, but it's actually quite enjoyable.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

lorddunlow wrote:
pixierosa wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I like Cowboy Bebop, especially the art style. I love the story of Peter Pan. I like the quality of the writing in this book. I like character studies. I don't know why I can't get more interested in this book. I think if it had a bit more humor I would really enjoy it. It really looks like Cowboy Bebop, though - which isn't a bad thing.

On topic, I'm currently reading the old New Universe stuff, and I'm really liking it! Avengers #6 and the discussion from the New Universe guys on here made me take the plunge. I expected bad, but it's actually quite enjoyable.
Hmmm, I haven't been lured in by that. I did try Uncanny Avengers #1, and while I had no real complaints, it just didn't grab me. I am surprised by how easy it has been to get back into the X-Men. All New-Xmen has been very good, and I've been enjoying the new Cable and X-Force. Uncanny X-Men #1 came out recently and that was good, too. #2 is out tomorrow - looking forward to picking it up. I don't normally consider myself a "superhero" fan so I don't have much of a history with Avengers, etc., although I've always like X-Men and Spidey. Probably because I was first exposed to them on tv (and yes, the early x-men cartoon blew chunks, yet still I watched it. facepalm)

So... I've added those X-titles into my read pile as well as Star Wars. I really liked the Morning Glories tpb so I'm on the lookout to pick up more of those. Interesting plot with a bit of mystery.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Captain Marvel #7 and #8
The Indestructible Hulk #1
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Legends of the Dark Knight 1-5.

This is one of the best Bat-books currently on the market.
Last edited by Big Red on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Big Red wrote:Legends of the Dark Knight 1-5.

This is one of the best Bat-books currently on market.
True that, every issue has been at least good, some outstanding. :thumb:

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Elveen wrote:I've started to re-read my Planet Hulk HC.
I refined my son's reading skills with that book.

He had just started learning how to read, and I'd have him read my Planet Hulk HC every weekend when I'd see him. In a matter of weeks, he went from a rough beginner to being one of the two best readers in his class, lol.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I just read the 2-part Before Watchmen: Moloch mini last night. It was surprisingly good. I had dropped behind on reading the Before Watchmen stuff (these books are good, not great - except for this and Dr. Manhattan - both by Straczynski; Nite Owl is a little better than the others - also by Straczynski), so I just got to this last night. Very sad, very moving. I now have empathy for Moloch which is a little scary. This book (much more than the others) really feels like it is a behind-the-scenes look at the happenings in Watchmen. It really feels like it could be a missing chapter of that series. Just as good as the original in my opinion. It made Ozymandias even more cold and evil.

I had previously put the Dr. Manhattan mini on a pedestal above the others, but this one may have dethroned it. I'll wait until I read Dr. Manhattan #4 tonight.

I'm most dissapointed by the Rorschach mini, as he's one of my favorite comic book characters of all time. The mini just isn't that great. As far as Rorschach goes, I think he's portrayed much better in the Nite Owl book, which wrapped up wonderfully with Rorshach.

Also, for anyone else reading the Before Watchmen stuff: Does anyone like the Crimson Corsair thing going on in the back of each issue? It's painful to read so far. Nowhere near as good as the Black Freighter thing in the original.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

lorddunlow wrote:I just read the 2-part Before Watchmen: Moloch mini last night. It was surprisingly good. I had dropped behind on reading the Before Watchmen stuff (these books are good, not great - except for this and Dr. Manhattan - both by Straczynski; Nite Owl is a little better than the others - also by Straczynski), so I just got to this last night. Very sad, very moving. I now have empathy for Moloch which is a little scary. This book (much more than the others) really feels like it is a behind-the-scenes look at the happenings in Watchmen. It really feels like it could be a missing chapter of that series. Just as good as the original in my opinion. It made Ozymandias even more cold and evil.

I had previously put the Dr. Manhattan mini on a pedestal above the others, but this one may have dethroned it. I'll wait until I read Dr. Manhattan #4 tonight.

I'm most dissapointed by the Rorschach mini, as he's one of my favorite comic book characters of all time. The mini just isn't that great. As far as Rorschach goes, I think he's portrayed much better in the Nite Owl book, which wrapped up wonderfully with Rorshach.

Also, for anyone else reading the Before Watchmen stuff: Does anyone like the Crimson Corsair thing going on in the back of each issue? It's painful to read so far. Nowhere near as good as the Black Freighter thing in the original.
I was buying them all but quit after issue 2 of each. Too expensive to have that many minis running at the same time as all my normal books. There looked to be some quality in some of the books but nothing seemed earth shattering.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ian_house wrote:
I was buying them all but quit after issue 2 of each. Too expensive to have that many minis running at the same time as all my normal books. There looked to be some quality in some of the books but nothing seemed earth shattering.
Definitely not earth shattering for most. A lot of them have been fun reads (especially Silk Spectre), but only Dr. Manhattan has been great. Like I said, this Moloch mini really surprised me. It really reminded me of how Rorshach's childhood/origin was told in the original books. It was also great, but because it really seemed like Watchmen, the lost chapter. I'm a sucker for Straczynski, though.