Archer & Armstrong #13 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Archer & Armstrong #13 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:CRAZY thought... because I like crazy thoughts...

Armstrong and Mary-Maria have just CONCEIVED A CHILD outside of the normal timestream, so it could be a child in any point in history.

That child will become...

Obadiah Archer.

:twisted:
Issue #10 fake-pregnant Mary-Marie says the baby's name is Obadiah, after his father...foreshadowing somewhat? :hm:

Is Obie made of Nanites then? :hm: :hm:
hunter_peterson wrote:Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Lets take it a step further into ew territory (literally and figuratively)...Some have posited that Mary-Maria is one of Gilad's kids :o
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Armstrong and Mary-Maria have just CONCEIVED A CHILD outside of the normal timestream, so it could be a child in any point in history.

Obadiah Archer.

Holy Doctor Who/Melody Pond/River Song, Batman!

...though it might explain his connection to the Akashic Record...
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

CylonSteve
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Van Lente

Post by CylonSteve »

I loved the issue! Archer and Armstrong is probably my favorite book! (Quantum and Woody is probably just under it) And, I didn't have a problem the Armstrong and Mary-Maria coupling. I believe Archer learned an important life lesson the hard way; I can sympathize with him, however I don't feel too bad for him. I can explain! We all had that certain crush on someone else, but sometimes that certain crush doesn't feel the same way. Its terrible and it hurts, but it happens, and I am sure I am not out of line when I say this We have all probably been there. But, it is growing up, he realizes that the world he was brought up to believe does not correlate with the real world. This leaves him frustrated!

This song is how I think Archer feels about Mary-Maria: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96852T5w260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Save Ferris - Let Me In
or Nazareth's 'Love Hurts' is the lesson he learned, I feel he left all Butthurt.

Mary-Maria's to me seems like Shatterstar from Marvel. His relationship with Rictor seems almost like a parallel to her coupling with Armstrong. Mary-Maria like Shatterstar, was bred to be the ultimate killing machine. (Mojoworld/and Religious Amusement Park) While Shatterstar was in the Mojo Universe he claimed that even though he was fully capable physically, he had never felt any sexual stirrings or romantic love, and has long felt "lacking", even in his native dimension. However since he was in the real world he learned emotion and friendship and developed a close friendship with Rictor. Mary-Maria is not too far behind this by living in a world to complete her parents plans, and really had no love for Archer, or any other sibling for that matter. Love and relationships were probably not even a concern with Mary-Maria's upbringing. When Armstrong came into her life he was different than most men she knew, and liked the fact he stood up to her, and probably her parents. She broke free from her parents, and learned of her newly formed independence.
^ I hope this makes sense!

Also I see Armstrong's sexuality a lot like Captain Jack Harkness of Torchwood. Both men are immortal and both are sexually active. But they probably have seen lots of lovers and friends come and go making a relationship near impossible. Mary-Maria being immortal too I guess they can spend all time together. Its kinda sweet to me.

Other than that Bring on the Sect Civil War!

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

I do feel bad for Obie. Not about Mary-Maria though but about the whole thing. As he said he's been lied to and treated basically like crap by everyone he's ever known the one guy who he felt would never do that did in the worst possible way and on top of that he's learned that he's ultimately worshipped like a god in the future which being very religious is a big deal to him. What'll be interesting in the future is how in plays out as the original book was buddy-buddy now it's just going to be two guys who don't get along anymore.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

But... if Mary-Maria and Armstrong ARE his parents, then they HAD to sleep together. :hm:

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

Whats also going to be interesting is how Ivar, Aram and Mary-Maria get out of the Far Away without the time arcs map

I wonder if a lot of time will pass between Aram finally meeting back up with Archer??

Which brings up another question... How do the time arc's work? Does Archer choose where he is going on the timeline? Does it just take him back to the time of when he left? :?
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Obadiah Archer.

talk about an Oedipus Complex....
Great issue. I hope FVL stays on A&A forever. Definitely at the top of my list every month. Loving it all. And Pere Perez was killing it!

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Can't wait to read this issue. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow. So, Obie left in a time arc at the end? Leaving Mary-Maria & Armstrong together? Does this mean that Obie is really going solo and the 'Archer & Armstrong' the book is now about is Mary Maria Archer and Aram??? That would be an interesting twist I didn't see coming!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Haven't read it yet but I must say, that Cover is Bad-*SQUEE*! Very V-H1! :clap:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Can't wait to read this issue. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow. So, Obie left in a time arc at the end? Leaving Mary-Maria & Armstrong together? Does this mean that Obie is really going solo and the 'Archer & Armstrong' the book is now about is Mary Maria Archer and Aram??? That would be an interesting twist I didn't see coming!
Huh never thought of that. Mary Maria could be the Archer in the title for awhile as solicits show Obidiah becomes "Dark Archer"

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

What if Mary Maria's parents are still controlling her and had her seduce Aram to drive a wedge between him and Archer...

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Can't wait to read this issue. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow. So, Obie left in a time arc at the end? Leaving Mary-Maria & Armstrong together? Does this mean that Obie is really going solo and the 'Archer & Armstrong' the book is now about is Mary Maria Archer and Aram??? That would be an interesting twist I didn't see coming!
Absolutely LOVE this theory!

MoonChild
Favorite character: BloodShot

Post by MoonChild »

Great issue! Fvl has really stepped it up and made a&a one of my favorite titles! Looks n feels like modern day archer n armstrong the way it should be! Very happy about the direction this book has taken. Big props to the whole team on this one folks. Total package. :clap:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I really loved this issue. A&A just keeps getting better and better. Does anyone else feel the universe is really starting to coalesce like the old VH1 universe did right before and during Unity? All of the titles are starting to overlap in many subtle and a few not-so-subtle ways more and more each month. So much awesome in this issue. Can't wait to see how it all shapes up.
BugsySig wrote:

The Nanite Body: Assuming Ivar is not just confused about where he is in the timeline, and taking his comment at face value, here...Armstrong believes he was infused with thousands of "souls" from the activation of the Boon. But what if those souls are not "souls" but souls? You follow? No? I'll give you a hint: Bloodshot #0. You with me? Souls. Nanites. Regeneration. Immortality. Voices in your head. Sound like anyone else we know? Only Aram runs on beer like Bender from Futurama instead of protein :lol:
Once again, you beat me to a theory. I think Aram was transformed into a nanite body by the Boon. I think that it is the pure technology, not the *SQUEE* version that BloodShot has that is essentially the result of reverse engineering using our less sophisticated technology. As such, no protein is needed for the healing and he retains a perfect image of his previous self.
greg wrote:But... if Mary-Maria and Armstrong ARE his parents, then they HAD to sleep together. :hm:
Stop saying that!!!!

Also, sorry that this issue made hawkeyeps toss his cookies. Mad Canadian! Somebody load up the tranquilizer gun! We got a runner!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

jmatt wrote:What if Mary Maria's parents are still controlling her and had her seduce Aram to drive a wedge between him and Archer...
The issue is how could Aram could be seduced in the first place regardless of what was going on with Mary Maria.

Nobody was controlling Aram and he knew full well what the dynamic was between Obie and Mary Maria. Obie is a virgin and very idealistic, he probably had in his mind they would be each others first. Now he has to settle for Aram's sloppy seconds just because he felt like getting his rocks off.

I don't blame Mary Maria at all, she is 18 and bound to make some bad decisions or maybe she was being controlled who knows. Aram is 6000 years old, what's his excuse? He can't handle his liquor? Aram made the conscious decision to hurt his best friend by putting his base desires ahead of the feelings of his best friend, sorry doesn't cut it. He must have very little regard for Archer or he wouldn't have done it. He's a scumbag.

Even if you take the angle that he wanted to hook up with her because they were both immortal that also makes no sense. If they are both going to live forever wouldn't it have been a better idea to just wait until Archer was dead then hook up her? That would almost be a nice way to do it as Mary Maria would be more like 80 or 90 by the time they hooked up. I would have no problem with that, but no he had get his piece right now while she was still 18 and immortal for all of about a month or two. He should have known better, end of story.

These actions just reveal him to be a immoral hedonist, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him and that's not very far with his fat a$$.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

hawkeyeps wrote:That would almost be a nice way to do it as Mary Maria would be more like 80 or 90 by the time they hooked up. I would have no problem with that, but no he had get his piece right now while she was still 18 and immortal for all of about a month or two.
Sooooooo, having sex with an octogenarian is preferable to sex with an 18 year old? Who knew? :?

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

hawkeyeps wrote: I don't blame Mary Maria at all, she is 18 and bound to make some bad decisions or maybe she was being controlled who knows. Aram is 6000 years old, what's his excuse? He can't handle his liquor? Aram made the conscious decision to hurt his best friend by putting his base desires ahead of the feelings of his best friend, sorry doesn't cut it. He must have very little regard for Archer or he wouldn't have done it. He's a scumbag.
That's the worst part in all of this. Aram betrayed Archer's trust. It is going to be intersting to see how FVL handles this and he has turned Aram into a very unsympathetic character.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:That would almost be a nice way to do it as Mary Maria would be more like 80 or 90 by the time they hooked up. I would have no problem with that, but no he had get his piece right now while she was still 18 and immortal for all of about a month or two.
Sooooooo, having sex with an octogenarian is preferable to sex with an 18 year old? Who knew? :?
Life is a buffet - sample all its pleasures.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

I can't facepalm enough. Get over the young girl thing. If I had to chose between a young guy with little experience and a man who kniws what he's doing, I'd go with experience every time.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

pixierosa wrote:I can't facepalm enough. Get over the young girl thing. If I had to chose between a young guy with little experience and a man who kniws what he's doing, I'd go with experience every time.
Good to know :wink:

:lol: :kidaround:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

hawkeyeps wrote:
jmatt wrote:What if Mary Maria's parents are still controlling her and had her seduce Aram to drive a wedge between him and Archer...
The issue is how could Aram could be seduced in the first place regardless of what was going on with Mary Maria.... He must have very little regard for Archer or he wouldn't have done it. He's a scumbag....
These actions just reveal him to be a immoral hedonist, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him and that's not very far with his fat a$$.
My theory isn't an attempt to excuse Aram's actions, just a possible twist with regard to Mary Maria. In that regard, if she ever wrests full control of herself she could explain it to Archer and then he might find it within himself to forgive her, or at least understand, that it wasn't of her own volition. But I'm just speculatin' here.

Your heated reaction is evidence that FVL is doing his job and doing it well: He's making you feel for the characters; we have invested ourselves in who they are and what they do. :clap:

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

pixierosa wrote:I can't facepalm enough. Get over the young girl thing. If I had to chose between a young guy with little experience and a man who kniws what he's doing, I'd go with experience every time.
I don't understand your point. Are you saying that if you were Mary Maria you would choose Armstrong over Archer? Or are you saying that if you were Armstrong you would find a 80 year old woman over an 18 year old?

In regards to experience, Archer can access the Akashic record. That's bound to give him an edge in the sack.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I'll be 50 in January. Thanks for making my day! :thumb:

Maybe I should start hitting the bars again. "Hey baby, what are you doing hanging around with these kids? What, these comic books? I'm just holding 'em for a friend... Hey, where ya going?"

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Blood of Heroes wrote:In regards to experience, Archer can access the Akashic record. That's bound to give him an edge in the sack.
Wow, yeah. The dude's a Kama Sutra Master!

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

Ye gods. Only meant that I don't get the old guy/young girl thing as being something to aspire to. Youth does not necessarily mean better. I will never be a cougar. I could barely stand dating 18 year olds when I was 18.

Also, anybody inappropriately aged goes after my daughter when she's 18 will have his *SQUEE* kicked into a brand new shape. By me. :twisted:
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."