Bloodshot and HARDCorps #20 discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Bloodshot and HARDCorps #20 discussion

Post by bygranddesign »

I thought this was a weak issue overall. Huge gap in quality between this issue and Unity this week and also a drop off from the opening issue of the Mission Improbably arc. FVL added a bunch of interesting story nuggets, funny moments and fun action in his opening issue but this 2nd issue of the arc, for the most part, fell flat on all those fronts. It wasn't all bad but definitely not one of the stronger issues since Gage/Dysart took over .. and this is coming on the heels of the best issue of their run - BS&HC HARDCorps #0.

The ending was pretty good with Sleepwalking Archer. There is something potentially interesting about that ... Seems like there is something within Archer subconsciousness that is always completely aware of the danger around him that allows him to fight even when he is knocked out/asleep. There was also some interesting dialogue between Bloodshot and Kozol; And Bloodshot and Palmer. I can see Palmer knowing about the "cure" and just not telling Bloodshot about it because he wants Bloodshot weakened just like PRS - seeing Bloodshot as a killing machine that needs to be controlled in some way (even if it is by PRS) and that's what leads to the falling out between the two.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Bloodshot and HARDCorps #20 discussion

Post by BugsySig »

Not bad, but not as good as Part 1. I was not a fan of the art, especially Armstrong and Bloodshot. It looked rushed, cartoonish and ill-proportioned. I really don't think we needed another page of recap after the summary page, either.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

BugsySig wrote:Not bad, but not as good as Part 1. I was not a fan of the art, especially Armstrong and Bloodshot. It looked rushed, cartoonish and ill-proportioned. I really don't think we needed another page of recap after the summary page, either.
I agree about the art. It was ok in spots but for the most part it "looked rushed, cartoonish and ill-proportioned"

In regards to the recap, I guess it depends on how they collect these issues for TPB. If they just do a TPB that collects all 4 issues (from both titles) than you're right they really don't need too much in-story recap.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

The best thing i can say about this issue is that it advanced the story.

Not much else to compliment imho. Hope the next issue is better.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I like the story, did not like the art.

DBS

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Same sentiment as DBS.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

It wasn't too bad not great. It was definitely the but second issue of a crossover pushed along but still doesn't expand as much as say the first issue. It was however better as a crossover than say harbinger Wars. Bloodshot quickly summarized the first issue, showed their side of the story with Armstrong and moved us along.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

bygranddesign wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Not bad, but not as good as Part 1. I was not a fan of the art, especially Armstrong and Bloodshot. It looked rushed, cartoonish and ill-proportioned. I really don't think we needed another page of recap after the summary page, either.
I agree about the art. It was ok in spots but for the most part it "looked rushed, cartoonish and ill-proportioned"

In regards to the recap, I guess it depends on how they collect these issues for TPB. If they just do a TPB that collects all 4 issues (from both titles) than you're right they really don't need too much in-story recap.
It makes sense to me to collect the 0 Archer issue as an introduction to the crossover, in which case the in-story recap really isn't necessary.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

kjjohanson wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:

It makes sense to me to collect the 0 Archer issue as an introduction to the crossover, in which case the in-story recap really isn't necessary.
I am very curious how these BS and AA issues will be collected. Archer #0 and the 4 part crossover would work well together, but then what about the "Get Some" arc of BS/HC? That would go well with HC #0, but that's only 3 issues.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

apainter
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by apainter »

From the "next volume" page at the end of the last Bloodshot trade, the next trade will skip Mission Improbable. It contain "Get Some" and the arc after MI.

About # 20, I generally like Tom Raney, but the art looked a little weird, especially Armstrong. His proportions seemed a bit off, like his head was too large or something.

Art

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

apainter wrote:... the art looked a little weird, especially Armstrong. His proportions seemed a bit off, like his head was too large or something.

Art
Definitely. Armstrong looked like he was stung in the face with a thousand bees. Totally unnatural looking.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

Loved the ideas and story, hated the art.

This feels like the end of the BWS run of the original run felt art-wise.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote:Same sentiment as DBS.
Same sentiment as lorddunlow.

The art was... odd. Some panels looked alright, but BS and Armstrong looked way off. Especially Armstrong. But I do like the idea of an alcohol-fueled Armstrong going totally batsh!t on HardCorps. The line about Popeye and spinach was funny.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

I'd give the issue an overall 3.5 out of 5.
Not as strong an opening as the A&A portion but it solidly moved the plot along.
I liked how Kozol addresses the "Yes, we are part of those Sects" and his "Again, not under my watch" moments.
I wasn't upset with the overall art. I felt the artist did a bad Armstrong. His was the only portrayal that felt off. Almost like I was looking at Bluto from Popeye as Armstrong. Armstrong's fight with HARD Corps was laid out pretty well I thought.

The Sleepwalking Archer should play interestingly next issue over in A&A in two weeks. Seems his body is essentially in a reactive state. His subconscious knows he's in danger and his psiot powers are activating in whatever manner they can to defend the body.

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

Art was terrible. I laughed a couple of times, though, so humor is intact, despite being technically a Bloodshot issue.

Plotwise it was just one big long fight/chase scene so that if you only read A&A you aren't missing anything. Like that seemed obvious for why they were doing it this way. If I only read Bloodshot I guess I would probably be a bit miffed at this "filler" but I read both, so...

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

Man the art was just too horrible in my book. I love A&A (and by extenstion this is an A&A book) but the art here was more distracting than Ming Doyle's in Q&W, while that is a humor book, so it's okay I guess, this is supposed to be a more adult book and the art just didn't convey. The story itself wasn't bad, but it didn't really further the story other than to add in the sleepwalker Obie. I wasn't too geeked to read any Valiant title this week, so I'm not colossally disappointed. Hoping this arc picks up, and adds something to the relative books (both BS and A&A) seeing as that I believe crossovers should add lasting consequences to the crossover books (hoping a split from PRS for Bloodshot, and perhaps a split from the SEct for Obie).

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Rereading it to review it just today, I was a little more focused on the dialogue/plot/action, which was pretty good. I liked the use of the powers to blow up the bar and escape.

But yeah, that art...eh.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I'm aware of Tom Raney from his Marvel work (I believe he did Thunderbolts or something), I quite like his work and was excited for this issue but agree it's not good. It looks to me like he just didn't bring his A game for this project which is very disappointing.

Didn't he know who his audience would be? :?

Aside from that I really liked the story and seeing HARD Corps get the best of Armstrong.

3.75/5 and that's mostly do to the art not being up to snuff, I still love where this book is going.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Did not enjoy this issue at all. I will be happy once this cross over is over.

String

Post by String »

The odd proportions of the opening scene with Bloodshot having Obie in a headlock highlights the problems of the art throughout this issue. But I still enjoyed the story and it's humor for the last page of Obie sleepwalking had me laughing out loud. An entertaining crossover so far......

erwinrafael
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

hawkeyeps wrote:I'm aware of Tom Raney from his Marvel work (I believe he did Thunderbolts or something), I quite like his work and was excited for this issue but agree it's not good. It looks to me like he just didn't bring his A game for this project which is very disappointing.

Didn't he know who his audience would be? :?
Tom Raney did the Warren Ellis run of Stormwatch. And he also had a critically acclaimed run in Mutant X.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

I'm somewhat new to the message boards so i'm glad to have a place to put this opinion (my lady doesn't care).

Bloodshot pre hardcore was easily in my top 3 books. with hardcore bottom three. it's night and day for me. issue 20 gets a solid "meh."

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

I disagree with everyone about the art.

I enjoyed it.

And I loved the confrontation between Armstrong and H.A.R.D. Corps.

And the sleepwalking Archer!

This was the book of the month for me.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I'm at the point where I just want a Bloodshot solo again...

Don't get me wrong, the Archer/Bloodshot throw-down should go down as a classic moment imo and the HARD Corps are cool, if fact I've liked them with BS, the title has been good with a larger cast but I think we're approaching the time where Bloodshot needs to go at it on his own again (or part of Unity post Armour Hunters: Bloodshot).

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:I'm at the point where I just want a Bloodshot solo again...

Don't get me wrong, the Archer/Bloodshot throw-down should go down as a classic moment imo and the HARD Corps are cool, if fact I've liked them with BS, the title has been good with a larger cast but I think we're approaching the time where Bloodshot needs to go at it on his own again (or part of Unity post Armour Hunters: Bloodshot).
Agreed.

And I am a big fan of the H.A.R.D. Corps.

I wish they would part ways and both have their own books.

I would buy them both.

:?

But you are right. Bloodshot sometimes gets lost in the shuffle sharing this book.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.