Eternal Warrior on Hiatus from May

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Manaf82
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2010
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Eternal Warrior on Hiatus from May

Post by Manaf82 »

leonmallett wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:I think there are big plans afoot. What seems like panic, is very likely the result of longrange planning and finetuning. It is not uncommon for books in this day and age, to take a break. Image does it all the time. Vertigo does it all the time, or did. Both in order to have a "skip month" where the trade collection comes out, but also to give artists and writers a chance to breathe.
If Rai had to take a break for one month after every arc in order for Crain to have time to keep painting all the issues, I'd put up with it. But it has to be scheduled and communicated to people in advance so nobody starts freaking out and assuming that the title has been cancelled or thinking that it's just shipping late. Communication is the key.
Or we could just, ya know, not freak out. Ultimately they're going to do what they're going to do, and they're going to do that for reasons which make sense to them, not because a bunch of screaming fan boys need more certainty.

There was a lot of negativity expressed on these boards when Valiant announced the "Death of Renegade" arc, since people don't like storylines spoiled. Maybe there's some crucial reason that EW needs a pause for the first Rai arc, and they think that the advance Crain art and a #1 issue is enough help for sales that they don't need to get more spoilery with their marketing.

In short, chill, and read the comics.
I think each individual has a right to feel what they feel, and say what feel if they want. I am not sure I have actually seen people freaking out here.
Relax,focus and think of eternal things...
Feel my "SQUEEING SQUEE"

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Manaf82 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:I think there are big plans afoot. What seems like panic, is very likely the result of longrange planning and finetuning. It is not uncommon for books in this day and age, to take a break. Image does it all the time. Vertigo does it all the time, or did. Both in order to have a "skip month" where the trade collection comes out, but also to give artists and writers a chance to breathe.
If Rai had to take a break for one month after every arc in order for Crain to have time to keep painting all the issues, I'd put up with it. But it has to be scheduled and communicated to people in advance so nobody starts freaking out and assuming that the title has been cancelled or thinking that it's just shipping late. Communication is the key.
Or we could just, ya know, not freak out. Ultimately they're going to do what they're going to do, and they're going to do that for reasons which make sense to them, not because a bunch of screaming fan boys need more certainty.

There was a lot of negativity expressed on these boards when Valiant announced the "Death of Renegade" arc, since people don't like storylines spoiled. Maybe there's some crucial reason that EW needs a pause for the first Rai arc, and they think that the advance Crain art and a #1 issue is enough help for sales that they don't need to get more spoilery with their marketing.

I think each individual has a right to feel what they feel, and say what feel if they want. I am not sure I have actually seen people freaking out here.
So useful you posted twice? :wink:

The point again is this - no-one seems to be 'freaking out' so why call for people to 'relax'?

Do some people want to discuss the apparent hiatus? It appears so.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

leonmallett wrote:
Manaf82 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

So useful you posted twice? :wink:

The point again is this - no-one seems to be 'freaking out' so why call for people to 'relax'?

Do some people want to discuss the apparent hiatus? It appears so.
My response was in reaction to Phoenix's hypothetical:
But it has to be scheduled and communicated to people in advance so nobody starts freaking out and assuming that the title has been cancelled or thinking that it's just shipping late.
Yes, everybody has a right to feel the way they feel. I'm just pointing out that it's probably more useful to focus emotional energy elsewhere.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

While I'm in no way upset or worried about it, it does seem a little strange that they didn't seem to have a communication plan to announce the EW hiatus. They don't have to say anything if they don't want to, but they had to expect that fans of the comic would be wondering what's up.

It's seems entirely likely that there is a reason that involves an announcement they have to hold back on revealing, but I do think a simple statement in the solicitations along the lines of 'don't worry, EW will return in -x- months' would have helped ease any concern by readers.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

grendeljd wrote:While I'm in no way upset or worried about it, it does seem a little strange that they didn't seem to have a communication plan to announce the EW hiatus. They don't have to say anything if they don't want to, but they had to expect that fans of the comic would be wondering what's up.

It's seems entirely likely that there is a reason that involves an announcement they have to hold back on revealing, but I do think a simple statement in the solicitations along the lines of 'don't worry, EW will return in -x- months' would have helped ease any concern by readers.
Agreed.

Peter
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by Peter »

grendeljd wrote:While I'm in no way upset or worried about it, it does seem a little strange that they didn't seem to have a communication plan to announce the EW hiatus. They don't have to say anything if they don't want to, but they had to expect that fans of the comic would be wondering what's up.

Very well said Grendeljd, I certainly would have thought that it would have been the decent thing to do.

"Saga' does the Hiatus regularly and I have absolutely no problem with that, as I would have no problem with the EW doing it either, but I do feel as you do, that a statement would have been nice.

I am loving the current arc and I really hope we soon get to see some flashback stories from within the last 1000 years.
I love this title and am really hoping for a big announcement about what is in store for the future. :)

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

I think it's a good move if it is just being done to ensure quality like Saga is doing. As long as the individual issues of each arc come out consecutively until the arc is completed, then I think its a wise decision.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Benhaiha76
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Christos Gage
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Benhaiha76 »

The question I have is does this mean that Eternal Warrior is no longer monthly? Just mini-series of four of five issue arcs?

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

Benhaiha76 wrote:The question I have is does this mean that Eternal Warrior is no longer monthly? Just mini-series of four of five issue arcs?
Nothing has been said what form it will take if/when it returns from its hiatus.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Benhaiha76 wrote:The question I have is does this mean that Eternal Warrior is no longer monthly? Just mini-series of four of five issue arcs?
Nothing has been said what form it will take if/when it returns from its hiatus.
My assumption is that it will return to it's previous numbering as an ongoing. Nobody knows for sure of course, but I defer to the definition of hiatus: "a break or interruption in the continuity of a work, series, action, etc" when guessing that it'll come back later following it's current numbering still. Time will tell though.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

SJS4 wrote:This hiatus has me worried for a few reasons.

1. Whenever i see a creator "confirm" a "hiatus" on a title and the publisher isn't saying anything, it seems to be a prelude to the title being canceled.

2. The excuse that its on hiatus because Rai is being introduced doesn't hold water. Even if Gilad is going to be in the series (and there has been little mention of him being a part of Rai's first arc), since when is a character appearing in a crossover a reason to put the character's own title on hiatus? Wouldn't you want to have something on the shelf in the event someone sees the character in Rai and is curious enough to want to read more about them?

3. The one reason that the "hiatus" would make sense is that VEI simply doesn't have the funding or staff necessary to put out more titles per month, so if the are spending cash to put out Rai, they have to conserve somewhere else. They won't be able to put out more EW books unless/until they can cut cost or raise revenue somewhere else.

Or lastly...

4. The editorial staff and/or management is just flaky and thinks 8 issues is plenty of time to gauge the market for a character or concept. All of a sudden Marvel and DC are looking positively patient by comparison.
Normally I'd agree with this, but with this particular example, maybe they are waiting to see how Rai does in an attempt to bring Eternal Warrior into the Rai time frame going forward. Think about it - there's no Magnus or sister book to Rai. It's a weird shot in the dark, so perhaps they want to re-time Eternal Warrior to become 21whateverxx's second book?

Magnus9178
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz

Post by Magnus9178 »

I just don't understand why they would put a book on hiatus with a writer like Pak. If it's planned then why would Pak announce it rather than keep it to himself and waiting for VEI to announce their plans. Sounds like he's not even sure why VEI did it... :?

Uncle Yusuf
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013 reading Rob Venditti
Favorite character: Aric of Dacia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by Uncle Yusuf »

Manaf82 wrote:Image

As seen above..
So thoughts, comments etc..

In my opinion this is a good thing, they really need a new creative team and preferably a soft reboot like they did with Shadowman..

Man, I'm really digging all the work Greg Pak has been doing lately, especially with Eternal Warrior and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. I'm sad Eternal Warrior is going on hiatus. I'll sincerely miss it while it's away.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

I think big things are in the works for Eternal Warrior. This speculation and anticipation is good for the series.

I have a feeling the TOP SECRET project that Cary Nord is working on currently is Eternal Warrior #0

With the amount of time he has been given and from all the pages Cary Nord has been leaking ... this issue will be HUGE.

And will be a great issue to come back from hiatus with.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

1. Whenever i see a creator "confirm" a "hiatus" on a title and the publisher isn't saying anything, it seems to be a prelude to the title being canceled.

2. The excuse that its on hiatus because Rai is being introduced doesn't hold water. Even if Gilad is going to be in the series (and there has been little mention of him being a part of Rai's first arc), since when is a character appearing in a crossover a reason to put the character's own title on hiatus? Wouldn't you want to have something on the shelf in the event someone sees the character in Rai and is curious enough to want to read more about them?

3. The one reason that the "hiatus" would make sense is that VEI simply doesn't have the funding or staff necessary to put out more titles per month, so if the are spending cash to put out Rai, they have to conserve somewhere else. They won't be able to put out more EW books unless/until they can cut cost or raise revenue somewhere else.

Or lastly...

4. The editorial staff and/or management is just flaky and thinks 8 issues is plenty of time to gauge the market for a character or concept. All of a sudden Marvel and DC are looking positively patient by comparison.
I know read somewhere that he wants people who read Valiant to be able to afford to buy every Valiant book that is currently out, which is why technically Bloodshot & Hard Corps. is going to be just Armor Hunters: Bloodshot for a while, instead of having both exist.

I personally hope they find a new direction for it as well or come up with an interesting new story arc, as currently it's been a drag to read.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I've spoken with folks, and based on what I have been shown, which I won't divulge here, we can very much expect more Eternal Warrior issues and story arcs that take place in several time periods, not just 4001 (which, by the way, I have greatly enjoyed so far...).

DBS

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

DirtbagSailor wrote:I've spoken with folks, and based on what I have been shown, which I won't divulge here, we can very much expect more Eternal Warrior issues and story arcs that take place in several time periods, not just 4001 (which, by the way, I have greatly enjoyed so far...).

DBS
That was my hope. Since EW is appearing in Unity, keep his book bouncing through time periods (with maybe some follow-up to the first arc at some point).
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

BugsySig wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:I've spoken with folks, and based on what I have been shown, which I won't divulge here, we can very much expect more Eternal Warrior issues and story arcs that take place in several time periods, not just 4001 (which, by the way, I have greatly enjoyed so far...).

DBS
That was my hope. Since EW is appearing in Unity, keep his book bouncing through time periods (with maybe some follow-up to the first arc at some point).
There is a rich vein opened up with this approach, although it does have its downsides (it could arguably negate potential USP for a hypothetical Timewalker book - the premise would not be the same, but the stories in other times thing could/would overlap and detract; and secondly, it would be great as a companion book for a headline character - as Marvel and DC have done themselves - but at this stage we don't know much about contemporary Gilad, let alone exploring his past and future).

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

leonmallett wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

DBS
There is a rich vein opened up with this approach, although it does have its downsides (it could arguably negate potential USP for a hypothetical Timewalker book - the premise would not be the same, but the stories in other times thing could/would overlap and detract; and secondly, it would be great as a companion book for a headline character - as Marvel and DC have done themselves - but at this stage we don't know much about contemporary Gilad, let alone exploring his past and future).
I agree on the Timewalker issue. My ideal scenario would be flashbacks/forward grounded in the present, or at least in the period between the first arc and A&A #5.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

I bet that's it. That seems logical.
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

pixierosa wrote:
Right now, EW feels a bit separated from the rest of the universe. For me, I think it is because of the time period difference. I like this EW. I liked that the "younger" one in "current" time was starting to develop better. We've seen so many versions of him in the various other books that I was glad to see them settle on characterizations. My least favorite version was his appearance in A&A as an unreasonable killer. I hope that when it comes back from hiatus, it helps to clean up the differences in the storylines. Like how he went from punching Buck and basically cursing his existence to being so angry at his accidental death via A&A that he turned into a mindless killer.

I'm not worried. We'll see Valiant's plan soon enough.
Good point about his character being a little inconsistent. I don't think the new VEI quite has a feel for EW yet. But, hopefully, they're getting there. He's a great character and I hope they stick with him and put out some good storylines.
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

pixierosa wrote:Lots of miniseries this summer. "Someone" brought to my attention the idea of limiting expansion. :thumb: I think he's right. One of the CBR articles has the pull list for the Armor Hunters crossovers. With all those additional books competing, makes sense to limit what they are offering so we don't get overloaded. EW has been out the shortest time-wise. Also, not sure what the sales numbers are like, but they may want to use this time to retool if necessary. I do believe Valiant is patient and will let the book's popularity grow naturally and not cancel it in its infancy, but I believe they are trying to avoid repeating what happened with Shadowman.
Good point about Shadowman! I came late to the party, and had to pick up the back issues and read them, but when I saw issue 11 after issue 10, and some of the ones that followed, I was like, dang, they haven't found a creative team and are just pumping out little stories that don't have any real direction, until Milligan came to the title. I have no inside info, but it looks like they weren't prepared for the first creative team leaving. That was the impression I got just reading some of their fill-in issues. I agree that they should have put Shadowman on hiatus after issue 10 until they solidified a new creative team, rather than just throwing stuff out there.

Peter
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by Peter »

DBS
:clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :)