The VH1 titles that sucked.

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham
Re: The VH1 titles that sucked.

Post by bamaphilosopher »

Elveen wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:
Ramses818 wrote:C'mon you have to include Outcast in the horrible section..esp. Considering it was supposed to help vh1 and vh2...then again so was Doctor Tomorrow.
Outcast? Is that even a VH1 title? I have no memory of that whatsoever. If so, it must have been VERY forgettable. Or, it came along after I quit reading and collecting the first time (which was just a little prior to Birthquake, I think). I didn't complete my VH1 run until many years later, through ebay. So, I may not have even read the Outcast. Or if I ever did, I only read it once.
It's a one shot

Ah, okay. I have it in my collection, and I read it once back in the day probably, but I don't remember it at all.
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by hunter_peterson »

bamaphilosopher wrote:
Elveen wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:
Ramses818 wrote:C'mon you have to include Outcast in the horrible section..esp. Considering it was supposed to help vh1 and vh2...then again so was Doctor Tomorrow.
Outcast? Is that even a VH1 title? I have no memory of that whatsoever. If so, it must have been VERY forgettable. Or, it came along after I quit reading and collecting the first time (which was just a little prior to Birthquake, I think). I didn't complete my VH1 run until many years later, through ebay. So, I may not have even read the Outcast. Or if I ever did, I only read it once.
It's a one shot

Ah, okay. I have it in my collection, and I read it once back in the day probably, but I don't remember it at all.
I quite liked Outcast, but admittedly largely for the potential it held. I'd love to see a radically reimagined version of that character in VEI. I... may have put together a few documents on how I would do it... because I have a procrastination problem. :P

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Wow, I just tried to reread the original VH1 H.A.R.D. Corps to find the Otherman issues.

And, it was painful. I don't think that series was ever very good. VEI is doing a much better job with them, I think. The Otherman stuff was all that was very interesting to me. The rest seemed quite forgettable. Boy, reading the new VEI is like a dream compared to some of the post-Shooter VH1 stuff.

In my opinion, other than Harbinger, the original VH1 never really did a good team book. Armorines? Secret Weapons? Psi-Lords? All forgettable. Am I missing anything?
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

dholden007
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior/Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Hall

Post by dholden007 »

bamaphilosopher wrote:
dholden007 wrote:Turok was very good in spots. I thought Geomancer was OK. I actually really liked Timewalker. The last issues of X-O were bad but I did like the apparent death of Master Darque. I thought Visitor was quite terrible though.
Timewalker wasn't that bad, but could have and should have been a LOT better than it was, from what I remember. They also nixed a story by Jon Hartz that I thought was good to turn it over to Bob Hall, and it sort of lost its "linear" progression, which had been kind of cool, in my opinion (that is, he would pop up in one comic, then the story would follow him into another random comic, which I thought was neat - they dropped this when Bob Hall took over).

Again, I think the Visitor would have been great if he had actually been an alien, but since they did the Pete Stanchek thing, I have to agree with you. But, I have already given my :rant: about that.

I don't even remember the apparent death of Master Darque in X-O - like I said, I have absolutely no desire to reread those issues. :P
I believe the Death of Master Darque was in X-O 64
After Darque stole the X-O armor, Aric sneaks into his house and while Darque is sleeping in the armor (the armor rejected him because of the necromatic energy, Aric ends up slitting his throat while telling Darque who he is. It was well done - 2 pages of tiny panels with Darque's face until you realize at the end that Aric has already cut his throat and he can't talk.

I even asked Paul Gulacy if he still had those original pages but he said he has no idea what happened to his original Valiant art. :cry:

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Hmm, dholden, maybe, MAYBE I'll read it again then, just to look at that scene. But I remember being thoroughly disgusted with that issue. :thumb:

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Shadowman was horrible... but only the fill-in issues by Mike Baron. Actually, anything he did at Valiant sucked.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

dholden007
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior/Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Hall

Post by dholden007 »

bamaphilosopher wrote:Hmm, dholden, maybe, MAYBE I'll read it again then, just to look at that scene. But I remember being thoroughly disgusted with that issue. :thumb:
I have to admit I haven't read it in while but that scene remains pretty vivid, I always liked that. That was by Kieth Giffen, sure his Magnus was horrible but he has done a lot of great stuff. It was Bob Layton that put the final nail in. Damn, that last issue was terrible.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Heath wrote:Shadowman was horrible... but only the fill-in issues by Mike Baron. Actually, anything he did at Valiant sucked.

Ageed, although oddly enough one of my favorite comic series ever is Nexus. Go figure...
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t