Bleeding Monk #0 discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: Bleeding Monk #0 discussion

Post by kjjohanson »

I've got my own ideas about who the Bleeding Monk is.

Dude
Usurps
Naked
Lover
Of
Wisdom
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

kjjohanson wrote:I've got my own ideas about who the Bleeding Monk is.

Dude
Usurps
Naked
Lover
Of
Wisdom

:ignore:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:I've got my own ideas about who the Bleeding Monk is.

Dude
Usurps
Naked
Lover
Of
Wisdom
How long did it take to dream that up? Clever.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

The identity of The Monk is obvious: he's Spartacus.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Got my comics today.
Read this first. 20 minutes ago.

I'm completely *SQUEE* in the best possible way.

Will read the rest of my books tomorrow. Can't digest anything more after this.

10 out of 5. wow.

EDIT- Re-read it already, of course. This is my new favourite VALIANT comic "so far". :cloud9:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

Okay, read mine today.

First of all, it was awesome! As someone who teaches philosophy, and who's teaching Eastern philosophy this semester, I love all the references to "lovers of wisdom" (the literal meaning of "philosopher"), and the references to Buddhist philosophy.

That said, the pronoun use made this excruciatingly difficult to read. Using "you" when the character is talking about the Bleeding Monk, when it seems to me like the Bleeding Monk is actually the one telling the story. For instance, I'm a little confused by this dialogue, when Kyros is sitting with the ascetic, someone please interpret what you think this means:

"He told me of your coming and described you to me. In his dreams, he has seen your arrival."

First, I'm confused, because the dialogue speaker refers to "me" here, when he had been talking about "you" otherwise throughout when talking about the Bleeding Monk. And, this same ascetic is later dead, so who has he told anything to? Who exactly is speaking, and to whom? Maybe I need to read the issue closely again, but I found this kind of dialogue rather confusing. I may read it again and come back and comment again...I've only read the issue once.

I love Dysart's writing, but I think he was being deliberately obfuscating with some of the dialogue, to add an air of mystery maybe, but so much so that it hampered the story a little bit for me. In my opinion, if you don't know who's speaking, it makes it a more painfully slow read.

But again, I did love this issue, and think it's definitely worthy of the praise some of you have been giving it.

I'm going to read it again, though, and try to figure out who's speaking. It's just not clear on first read.
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Hmm, reading it again, it still seems to me that the Bleeding Monk is telling the story, addressing himself as "You," to give a sense that his self is kind of outside himself, as it moves through time. If that is the case, the rest of the dialogue in the comic makes sense.

But, this one line still doesn't make sense to me:

"He told me of your coming and described you to me. In his dreams, he has seen your arrival."

What do you guys think? Am I misinterpreting something here?

Someone please explain that line to me. :!: :P
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Well, now you've got me thinking. Is this some kind of philosopher trick, Bruce? I'll have to peek at those pages again.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

I assumed it was the bleeding monk narrating, and the "you" in question was Harada.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Haven't gone back and read it, but if I recall rightly, wasn't the guide the one saying that line to Kyros?

The naked lover of wisdom foresaw Kyros coming and told the guide about him, nothing more than that.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I liked it alot. Only 1 read through yet, but I plan another. It wasn't as profound as I thought it would be, but good. Maybe after another read.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

SJS4 wrote:I assumed it was the bleeding monk narrating, and the "you" in question was Harada.
Hmm...I'll have to read it again with that in mind. Maybe that will solve my dilemma. I wish it had been made more clear, though.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Keith wrote:Haven't gone back and read it, but if I recall rightly, wasn't the guide the one saying that line to Kyros?

The naked lover of wisdom foresaw Kyros coming and told the guide about him, nothing more than that.
It was a line of narration, so whoever is speaking throughout the comic is speaking it.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

jmatt wrote:Well, now you've got me thinking. Is this some kind of philosopher trick, Bruce? I'll have to peek at those pages again.
:hm:

If it's a trick, it's Joshua Dysart's, not mine! :P

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Good strong issue, but not *great* for me. The art was the failing in places - something I have felt more and more lately in VEI books. While I laud using different styles for different eras, I just did not really care for the art in this issue, especially when trying to differentiate some characters with similar attire.

Still it has added layers to the mythology which is no bad thing. :)
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Okay, here's a batshiat crazy idea: since the Monk basically can see all possible futures and pasts (basically the totality of human experience), maybe at some point he becomes disembodied and becomes the Akashic Records. We already see that damage to his physical form has little effect on his ability to live, essentially for his mind to continue to exist. What is his body was completely destroyed? What then?

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

kjjohanson wrote:Okay, here's a batshiat crazy idea: since the Monk basically can see all possible futures and pasts (basically the totality of human experience), maybe at some point he becomes disembodied and becomes the Akashic Records. We already see that damage to his physical form has little effect on his ability to live, essentially for his mind to continue to exist. What is his body was completely destroyed? What then?
"batshiat" - is that a creative way to avoid a "squee"? :thumb:

I guess they probably have no need to destroy his physical body, but you raise an interesting question!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

kjjohanson wrote:Okay, here's a batshiat crazy idea: since the Monk basically can see all possible futures and pasts (basically the totality of human experience), maybe at some point he becomes disembodied and becomes the Akashic Records. We already see that damage to his physical form has little effect on his ability to live, essentially for his mind to continue to exist. What is his body was completely destroyed? What then?
Well, if he exists in all times how can he be the Akashic record and himself concurrently?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

lorddunlow wrote:
Well, if he exists in all times how can he be the Akashic record and himself concurrently?
I am sure some branch of quantum mechanics theory would suffice to explain it away. :)
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

lorddunlow wrote:
wibbly wobbly timey whimey

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

bamaphilosopher wrote:What do you guys think? Am I misinterpreting something here?

You are. I have the issue open in front of me. You are assuming that all dialogue in the squares (and not a balloon) is either Kyros or NLW. It's not.

In this instance, that is the continued dialogue of the turbaned guide leading Kyros to NLW: "Look there, in his place of thought-no-thought. He told me of your coming and described you to me. In his dreams he has seen your arrival... Tonight he will wake and speak with you."

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

jmatt wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:What do you guys think? Am I misinterpreting something here?

You are. I have the issue open in front of me. You are assuming that all dialogue in the squares (and not a balloon) is either Kyros or NLW. It's not.

In this instance, that is the continued dialogue of the turbaned guide leading Kyros to NLW: "Look there, in his place of thought-no-thought. He told me of your coming and described you to me. In his dreams he has seen your arrival... Tonight he will wake and speak with you."
Ah, I see, they switched from bubble to caption, and it's still the guide speaking. I didn't catch the use of quotation marks in the captions on first read. That clears things up considerably.

Okay, so who is "He," who is "me," and who is "you," in this bit of dialogue? Now, what Keith said earlier makes sense:

"Haven't gone back and read it, but if I recall rightly, wasn't the guide the one saying that line to Kyros?

The naked lover of wisdom foresaw Kyros coming and told the guide about him, nothing more than that."

Okay, now it makes more sense...the switch from balloon [In his place of thought-no-thought] to caption and quotes ["He told me of your coming..."] confused me.

Now it definitely makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

just looked at the preview.

Oirat Mongols mentioned. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obscure history.